Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Fortunately in Civ 6 your battleships will never have to face anything but spearmen! Revenge is sweet.

I had a crossbowman shoot my ironclad for over 20 damage. loving cop killing AP crossbow bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahahaha. The Brows Held High guy did an amazing "What is Civilization" video that was really really well-made, but even included a few moments of humor, like showing off a battle in Civ IV where a spearman takes down a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEKI-MWQ94

EDIT: China can rush wonders?! Wow. I didn't think I'd see a civ that was going to be better at wonder-building than Egypt, since that's been Egypt's THING for a long time, but still.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So do you really have to use a build charge just to remove a pillaged improvement and then have to use another build charge to put it back up

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So do you really have to use a build charge just to remove a pillaged improvement and then have to use another build charge to put it back up

There's a "repair" button that doesn't use up a charge.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Another trip report from a game I started yesterday:
Very early game I meet America as the first and only civ.
Teddy declares war on me about 5 turns later.
After a whole bunch of running around I mop up his little army.
He requests peace saying he was just testing me and I accept because I have no idea where any of his cities are and I would like to actually build some poo poo other than military units this game. Plus I get some gold/luxury resources out of it.
Couple of turns later he wants to be friends. Sure Teddy, no probs.
Shortly after he declares war on me again with a much bigger army this time.
Exit to windows.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

comatose posted:

Another trip report from a game I started yesterday:
Very early game I meet America as the first and only civ.
Teddy declares war on me about 5 turns later.
After a whole bunch of running around I mop up his little army.
He requests peace saying he was just testing me and I accept because I have no idea where any of his cities are and I would like to actually build some poo poo other than military units this game. Plus I get some gold/luxury resources out of it.
Couple of turns later he wants to be friends. Sure Teddy, no probs.
Shortly after he declares war on me again with a much bigger army this time.
Exit to windows.

Sounds like someone didn't read The Art of War :v:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No, lol.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Speedball posted:

Hahahaha. The Brows Held High guy did an amazing "What is Civilization" video that was really really well-made, but even included a few moments of humor, like showing off a battle in Civ IV where a spearman takes down a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEKI-MWQ94

That video did a great job of showcasing how horribly whitewashed Civ's take on history is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

That video did a great job of showcasing how horribly whitewashed Civ's take on history is.

Yup. They've been trying to be better about it lately, but even so.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think that every person who ever lived should be their own civilization. That is the only fair way to do it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The UI REALLY doesn't like you in this game. Check for the little wrench icon on top of the lower right window, near the move to, sleep, etc. actions when you send a worker into a pillaged area.

Khagan posted:

Any tips on how you get the 5 eureka and/or inspirations boosts in a turn cheevo?
While I had the 5 eureka achievement before by using Great Scientists to pop instant eurekas and set things up ahead of time, I just got the inspiration achievement today after studying the civics tree a little bit. I found that the best way to control the civics achievement is during the Industrial Era, with the civics of Colonialism, Nationalism, Opera and Ballet, Natural History, and Mobilization. If you gently caress it up, Scorched Earth can replace one of them (by building/having two Field Cannons).

What you want to do is the following to prepare:

Build two Theater Districts, with Amphitheaters on both of them. Research Humanism so you can build museums in preparation. Having about 2,200 gold on Standard speed is enough to gold-rush the museums. Otherwise, build them until they're one turn away from completion.
Have at least three pairs of the same units to set up corps. The Scythians can do this easily with their double cavalry unit bonus.
Research Astronomy until it's one turn away from completion.
Research Nationalism until you can complete the boost by triggering its inspiration effect (or if you have to game the system, until it's one turn away from completion).
Denounce an AI player (or be denounced) at least five turns before doing all this to set up a casus belli effect.

When you are ready to trigger the five inspirations, do this:

1) Finish researching Astronomy, which will boost Colonialism the next turn.
2) Rush-build the Art Museum and Archeology Museum on that new turn, or, the turn prior, set it up to complete building them so they trigger on the same turn as Astronomy. This triggers Opera and Ballet and Natural History.
3) Declare war with a casus belli on your denounced opponent that new turn. This triggers Nationalism, which will complete and allow you to build corps.
4) Unite your three pairs of units into three corps, which will trigger Mobilization.

That's it! You get the inspiration achievement.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 2, 2016

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

The Human Crouton posted:

I think that every person who ever lived should be their own civilization. That is the only fair way to do it.

As the video notes, allowing custom civs would address this issue (somewhat).

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Only noticed this now....

Seriously....? :godwinning:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I didn't get much from that vid beyond Civ's civs are neccessarily kinda arbitrary which wow, mind blown man.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hammerstein posted:

A true American patriot.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Which kind of great person is he? I assume scientist.

And I mean, regardless of his former political affiliation he was a great scientist.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 2, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Away all Goats posted:

A true American patriot.

Now let's add Goebbels as a Great Writer, Mengele as Great Scientist and Sepp Dietrich as Great General please.....

And I mean, regardless of his former political affiliation he was a great scientist.

Great Engineer...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is Rommel not already a great general?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Great Scientist with space victory boosts I think

And yeah it's hard to deny his achievements

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hammerstein posted:

Now let's add Goebbels as a Great Writer, Mengele as Great Scientist and Sepp Dietrich as Great General please.....

Whoa buddy, none of these dirty nazi scum ever had American citizeship

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Not to whitewash von Braun here, but the previous game had Genghis Khan as the glorious leader of a noble people.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Great Engineer...

Eh I guess the line between the two re: space things is kinda grey.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think he misstepped by not considering how social policies model 'civs' changing. "Germany" can be Arminius' tribal confederacy, the HRE or the GDR depending on what policies it's running.

Krazyface posted:

Not to whitewash von Braun here, but the previous game had Genghis Khan as the glorious leader of a noble people.

Also Attila the goddamned Hun.

Sorry, "the poor maligned Huns", as the video put it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Olive Branch posted:

The UI REALLY doesn't like you in this game. Check for the little wrench icon on top of the lower right window, near the move to, sleep, etc. actions when you send a worker into a pillaged area.

I wonder if there's a bug with the worker UI that only happens sometimes, because whenever I put a worker on a damaged tile it automagically puts "repair this" on the top of the menu in plain sight.

Also that video rules and I had forgotten that earlier civs used actual labels for barbarians instead of just the generic title.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Americans, Mr Von Braun is mostly responsible for the American Space Program. He did not choose where he was born, but he did choose what to do with his knowledge once the Nazis were gone. Try to remember this.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have a new favourite UI glitch that I found last night: if you hide the science and policy displays in the world tracker at the top left of your screen, it shows a window telling you that it's not displaying any information in this space so it doesn't actually free up any screen real estate :sax:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lurdiak posted:

So is the game any good?

It's like Firaxis considered Beyond Earth a good game, Civ VI takes all it's worst enhancements, add more bad things, and removes some of the minor issues Civ V had. It's current state is not worth spending money on, until 1d3 patches or 2+ expansions occur.

And in the lighter side of the news Always be alert of your notifications. If it says that an AI city is being bombarded, immediately come to their rescue. The barbarians will clear their capital, causing the game to crash., Playing Domination only and if the AI Barbarians or city states raze a capital, the game will crash.

I think No Mans Sky had some updates posted within the first week of release (I could very wrong in that though). Has Firaxis said anything at all?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 2, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

There's a "repair" button that doesn't use up a charge.

It's where sleep and auto explore are, above the right hand panel. For some reason. Why it isn't with the other improvement buttons, near one of the two bulldozers, I haven't got a clue.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Does radiation destroy tourism? If so, I could simply nuke Kongo who is about to win a culture victory.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

greazeball posted:

I have a new favourite UI glitch that I found last night: if you hide the science and policy displays in the world tracker at the top left of your screen, it shows a window telling you that it's not displaying any information in this space so it doesn't actually free up any screen real estate :sax:

It doesn't do that in the Mac version; probably an Aspyr fix.

Y'know, you could just ignore Civ6 (and this thread) for 3-6 months instead of acting all entitled and poo poo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

It is not, no.

Here are many reasons for why it is not good:

- The faction balance is terrible.

- The AI is unforgivably bad at literally all of the mechanics. Even giving it extra settlers and units to start with does not help.

- The AI is also incredibly pushy, but given that it is so inept at warfare on every difficulty, this is just annoying.

- Related to the above, too much diplomacy involves time-wasting animations

- There is no 'confirm' button on going to war with someone by accidentally clicking the Declare War button versus Whatever button in response to their dumbass complaint about troops near their territory, with a slightly laggy interface.

- Too many units are gated behind strategic resources. City states often cannot upgrade their literal bowmen and spears for the whole game because they don't have iron or niter. Your battleships cannot run on oil or coal, just coal, which is on a completely different tech path.

- Since City States are usually a pisstake to destroy because their units are bad and their city strength is not high, the Suzerain system only works for city states you actually want, that lie very securely inside your borders, and that you can keep control of easily with envoys. Otherwise anyone can just take them over by force with a couple of units.

- On the subject of units, if you like to click fast, you will hate the automatic (and laggy) unit cycling you can't turn off that will end in dragging move orders halfway over the map at least once per game.

- If you like to click slowly, you will lose every multiplayer game with simultaneous turns.

- There's no Sentry command, despite barbarians being more impactful and units being broadly faster, so you really have to go around every single city just checking there's nobody about kill your workers/improvements.

- Making your cities shoot things is actually quite awkward and needs a just-right level of zoom. It also sometimes doesn't happen because their code, like Jeb!, is a mess.

- There's stupid notifications about things you often can't do anything about (or that it is only very inefficient to do anything about) that appear nearly constantly and clart up your sidebar.

- There are no build queues in a game where ICS is by a long way the most optimal strategy. This is apparently to make turns resolve faster. Having to go around my entire empire every couple of turns does not feel fast.

- You can't even infinitely build research/culture/gold anymore, and the game doesn't tell you how much doing the barracks type Make Gold + GPP For Some Turns command makes versus the bank type Make Gold + GPP for Some Turns command.

- The game also doesn't tell you that disbanding units in your territory a) makes money, which it does, and consequently b) how much money it makes, which can be a lot.

- 2 of the victory conditions are hot garbage mechanically:

- For the Tourist victory, nowhere in the Civilopedia or in the Victory part of the interface are you told what a Tourist even is, what specifically attracts them away from home, if domestic tourists who go abroad can ever be lured back, how many turns it will take to win a tourist victory with your current output, or if you even can win a tourist victory with your current cultural output.

- Religious victories can only ever be won by slightly more than 50% of players, and the much touted Religious Combat is just regular combat but with less tactics. Mash units into each other forever for sick prizes, PS picker of the best religious combat trait wins. If you don't have 2 foreign religions in your land, you cannot expel religions from your own cities if you did not found one.

Much like Sid Meier's Civilization VI this list is only half finished.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

So is the game any good?

I already uninstalled this game, which in its current state is poo poo. Buy it in a few months on a sale if you must have it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lalaland posted:

I already uninstalled this game, which in its current state is poo poo. Buy it in a few months on a sale if you must have it.

Out of interest, how many hours did you play it for vs how many hours of civ 5 before uninstalling? IMO 6 is in a better state than 5 despite every single issue on that guy's list being entirely true.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
All paradox needs to do to fix this game is bring back slaves and whipping.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Asproigerosis posted:

Civilization VI: You have come to a world called Gor *whipcrack*

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Asproigerosis posted:

Paradox? Sure, we'll have wiz get right on it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Asproigerosis posted:

demand: 7 whipped population from barbarossa

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Two questions:

1. If I have 2 of the same luxury resource worked by 1 city each, are they providing separate amenities to both cities?
2. If I have 2 of the same luxury resource worked by a single city, should I definitely trade the 2nd one?

I'm basically trying to understand when I should trade luxury resources.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's a thread on Civfanatics talking about how over important your starting place is. I agree! It does seem too much of a difference that in some games I can found my city and make a war-cart in 8 turns and in others it's 12. In the early game those 4 turns are huge.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Chalks posted:

Out of interest, how many hours did you play it for vs how many hours of civ 5 before uninstalling? IMO 6 is in a better state than 5 despite every single issue on that guy's list being entirely true.

About 8 hours of civ 6 and I really wanted to like it. I never played civ 5 at launch so I can't compare them :v: