Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gaz-L posted:

This Island Earth is the obvious choice for 'good' MST'ed movie, but I actually like Parts: The Clonus Horror a fair amount for what it sets out to do.

This Island Earth looks good, but has the usual 50s lack of real science going on. Cal talks about combining nuclear energy with electronics.

Alex Lewyt, president of Lewyt vacuum company, 1955 posted:

"Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality within ten years."

And Exter says that Cal and Roooooth are the leaders in their field in converting lead into uranium, or alchemy. Which the Metalunans are obviously incapable of doing.

Speaking of the Metalunans, they are in deep poo poo against their enemy and their shield is about to give out, but they send Exeter and company to Earth to set up an extensive lab and even hollow out a mountain (presumably to house their spaceship). They are recalled with days of Cal's arrival since things are going to hell on their home planet. Then the Metalunans talk about colonizing the Earth even though they only have hours to live.

Typical of most of the movies on MST3K, the idea is sound, but the execution is lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will be shocked, incidentally, if Netflix don't preface the launch date announcement with a reveal of the new version of the theme. I'm actually wondering how they'll fit Jonah's name in, as it's two syllables.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I will be shocked, incidentally, if Netflix don't preface the launch date announcement with a reveal of the new version of the theme. I'm actually wondering how they'll fit Jonah's name in, as it's two syllables.

"there was a guy named Jo-el" - they already stretched a one syllable name into two syllables for the theme so they should be good to go!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just waiting for Netflix to announce they got everything that is currently available. Seems like that would pay for itself with the new season to also be able to go "And you can watch every other episode!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

spooky like this! posted:

I'm just waiting for Netflix to announce they got everything that is currently available. Seems like that would pay for itself with the new season to also be able to go "And you can watch every other episode!"

I kinda hope not. Wouldn't that be a big hit for the Shout Factory streaming service? And Rifftrax just started putting select episodes on their site.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How old was Paul Anka in Girls Town? They treat him like an adult but he looks like he is 12. Also, Mamie Van Doren :vince:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

He was 18-ish I believe. And yes, Mamie. :chanpop:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

This Island Earth is the obvious choice for 'good' MST'ed movie, but I actually like Parts: The Clonus Horror a fair amount for what it sets out to do.

Parts is legitimately a decent movie working under a constrained budget.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It Conquered The World is an okay Body Snatchers plot with an amazingly awful alien menace and genuinely extremely good to amazing actors who give every line of dialogue more credit than it could ever deserve

Just seriously, Peter, Beverly and Cleef give that movie a soul

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Peter's monologue. :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9iC7DvuD3s

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the things they talk about in the Episode Guide is how much they all love Beverly Garland, because she was a rarity in the types of movies they tended to do: she played capable, competent female characters. That wasn't really something you saw a lot of in movies of the 50's.

Like in It Conquered the World; once she figures out what's going on with the alien sort-of controlling her husband and everything, her plan was basically "grab a rifle and blow the drat thing away." Yeah, she got killed, but she still managed to go down firing.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I've been watching MST3K with friends recently to build hype for the return of the show, and we've used this thread for suggestions, so thanks for that.

One concern is the sketches - one of my friends absolutely hates them.

I personally find some of Joel's sketches and songs to be the funniest bits of episodes, but I agree that Mike's sketches are rather weak. Is there a good episode where the sketches are all great? Maybe I can convince him that they do add more to the episodes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pod People's sketch is the greatest thing ever.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
If the musical sketches don't do it MST3k is not for them.

Tubular Boobular Joy
Hired! the Musical
Tribute to Pants
United Servo Academy Men’s Chorus
Patrick Swayze Christmas
etc

e: If you're only asking for good mike sketch episodes, ummm...
The sketches in the season 7 and season 10 finales were pretty awesome I thought.
And No Mikes! from the penultimate episode. Nothing like a short to get the host segment juices flowing. The Sci-Fi Channel seasons were lacking in that.

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 31, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CommaToes posted:

I've been watching MST3K with friends recently to build hype for the return of the show, and we've used this thread for suggestions, so thanks for that.

I personally find some of Joel's sketches and songs to be the funniest bits of episodes, but I agree that Mike's sketches are rather weak. Is there a good episode where the sketches are all great? Maybe I can convince him that they do add more to the episodes.

This is pretty much my issue with watching it with friends. Even I just tolerate most of the sketches. I don't think that it's a sign of the show's quality, I think it's an inherent issue with most sketch-based comedy: they're hit and miss, and lack longevity.

Off the top of my head, Pod People is a strong skit episode. I have a weird opinion that any episode with a doo-wop song sketch are strong skit episodes: Catalina Caper's Creepy Girl song, Werewolf's girl group song, Creeping Terror's repetitive song sketch, etc. I also prefer the skits to parody or involve the movie, like Werewolf. When they're trying to stick to plots or on-going bits, it gets really rough. I just tell my friends that the skits are what they are, use them for smoke-breaks or bathroom breaks. It's mostly worked, since they like the actual show.

I'm actually most excited about the skits for the new season. I know that the charm of the show is that the skits are pretty lo-fi and low-budget, just like the movies, but they're just kinda ugly. Later seasons moved past the Host & Bots behind the counter for more movement, better designs and more interesting filming, but never really broke into Good or Great. With the talent they have for sets and the kick-rear end writing staff, I'm hoping we get some actually great looking and funny skits.

I was trying to convince my friends to give the show a try before the new season, but one friend who hadn't really watched the show tried to explain the show's plot to his wife to sell it, which was horrific:

"Yeah, see, he's a temp. And these mad scientists kidnap him because they don't like him."
"Well, yeah, sorta. But really that's just for the skits and stuff. The real show is bad movie jokes and riffs."
"See, they put him on a satellite so he can't escape. And he has to watch bad movies. But he's lonely and going crazy, so he invents robots to watch them with him."
"Yeah, but, see, that's the set-up, but it isn't the show."
"And they have to watch the movies and make jokes so they don't go insane."
"No, see, that's maybe a small part of the show. What's really funny about it is the movies, see they--"
"And there's a robot that's a camera that films the whole thing, and a robot that's a pilot."
":suicide:"

And of course they didn't watch it after that.

Last night I showed my girlfriend "Parts: The Clonus Horror", and the skits of Pearl babysitting the kids was pretty bad. However, it's one of the most interesting movies that MST3k has done on its own merits. It reminded me of a bad version of The Lobster, The Island, and 1984.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There actually was a controversy over whether or not The Island ripped off Clonus when it came out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mokinokaro posted:

There actually was a controversy over whether or not The Island ripped off Clonus when it came out.

IIRC, they settled out of court

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I like the sketches in TimeChasers, only because they leak into the theater.

But generally, Joel is better for sketches, Mike is better in the theater.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If people don't like sketches then start them on Rifftrax and then transition to MST3K.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

If people don't like sketches then start them on Rifftrax and then transition to MST3K.

Why? MST3k has better movies.

Edit: Unless we're talking Rifftrax Live, but that has sketches/bits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best sketch is sadly from an episode that isn't going to be released, probably:

https://youtu.be/G4eR-uZTJZ8

(I managed to snag the DVD set this appeared on before it was pulled.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, they settled out of court

There's an interview with the director on the DVD release and he verifies this. He also thanks Misties for supporting him in the lawsuit.

He was really cool about the whole MST treatment.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Franchescanado posted:

Why? MST3k has better movies.

Edit: Unless we're talking Rifftrax Live, but that has sketches/bits.

I'll have to disagree with that as there are a vast number of movies in both shows of varying qualities. There a good movies in both. I'd recommend Guy From Harlem, Ghosthouse, and Abraxas as on par with many MST3K episodes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Maxwell Lord posted:

The best sketch is sadly from an episode that isn't going to be released, probably:

https://youtu.be/G4eR-uZTJZ8

(I managed to snag the DVD set this appeared on before it was pulled.)

I knew exactly what this was before clicking on it.

Rhino's best fuckup ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My vol. 9 set arrived just in time for Halloween! :woop: Now the only Rhino set I don't have (and will probably never have) is 10.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

CommaToes posted:

I tend to jump to the start of the episode to get to the core appeal of the show, and then when the mid-point sketch happens they're usually much more intrigued and appreciative of the sketch nature of the "intermission".

I find that Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank bits are also a lot easier to get into, since it's just a bunch of humans doing silly stuff. Brain Guy and Bobo, especially during those multi-episode arcs that iirc spanned Season 8 and/or 9, are much more of an acquired taste.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fezz posted:

I'll have to disagree with that as there are a vast number of movies in both shows of varying qualities. There a good movies in both. I'd recommend Guy From Harlem, Ghosthouse, and Abraxas as on par with many MST3K episodes.

Kingdom of the Spiders. Everyone should watch Kingdom of the Spiders, if only for Mike's reaction when learning why Shatner's character is called "Rack".

"You're. BLEEEEEP. Kidding. Me."

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

kalensc posted:

I find that Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank bits are also a lot easier to get into, since it's just a bunch of humans doing silly stuff.

:v: "We're dressed as 70's relief pitchers [...] Frank, show 'em your Tug McGraw"

:geno: "I'm Tug McGraw"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The sketches sucked most of the time, but when they were funny they were really funny. I liked the one in The Final Sacrifice where Tom starts freaking out about Canada mid song. I still say "syrup swilling, bacon loving bastards" when referring to Canadians.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The wormhole in Prince of Space when everyone is out of sync is my favorite host segment. The Mike as a puppet part is great too.That's my favorite episode period of the show as well.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love the whole cast but joel could deliver funny and weird better with trace and Ken better than Mike, ken, and bill for sketches. Riffin? Mike had more practice by the time he helmed.
But this is comparing one cast vs a slighly diffrent cast.
I want Mst to thrive on Netflix.
I want rifftraxs to sit at the table with Netflix or/and amazon and talk about purchasable commentary tracks as a service. Doesnt have to be just riffs, directors commentary and what maddness the commentary SE Evil Deads and Army of Darkness was Ill pay for.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Ballz posted:

Rhino's best fuckup ever.

What's the story?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Vincent posted:

What's the story?

Rhino released Godzilla vs Megalon on Volume 10. They didn't actually get the proper rights from Toho and they had to pull it and offer a replacement disc of The Giant Gila Monster.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a date for the first new episode?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not yet, but I'd imagine we'll find out by Turkey Day. I can't imagine post-production takes super long on a show like MST3K, where most of the effects are done live.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the whole thing has been filmed so now it is down to editing/post.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So we should see a Netflix ad for it pretty soon, seeing as they tend to start pushing ads on YouTube/Facebook about 2 months in advance or so.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If I was Joel & crew, I'd work on the Christmas episode first and release it as a standalone for the holidays.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Has Netflix ever released an original series one at a time, or do they always roll out the entire series at once? The thought of fourteen new MST3Ks at once is dizzying, but I think I'd rather have it spread out, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don't think they've ever done an episode at a time. As much as I would like them to, I doubt they'll make an exception for MST