Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You are bad at Ion. Laser shot on a titan weakspot does massive damage and you can corner peak with it to completely whittle down titans while taking no damage yourself. It's also an instant kill hit scan weapon so if you get good at twitching you can just destroy anyone any time you can even see half a pixel of a pilot. Also laser core does many damages.

Also I have no idea how to embedd webms

https://gfycat.com/ShockingMasculineAnkolewatusi

:thumbsup:
Kind of a bummer of a webm to see as I'm installing the game :v:

Re: webms you can just put .mp4 on the end, but that breaks tables and I don't know how to resize.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Elysiume posted:

Kind of a bummer of a webm to see as I'm installing the game :v:

Re: webms you can just put .mp4 on the end, but that breaks tables and I don't know how to resize.

It's the first one I've seen in 50 hours and they lost anyway so I'm not too worried. Thanks for the tip though!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You are bad at Ion. Laser shot on a titan weakspot does massive damage and you can corner peak with it to completely whittle down titans while taking no damage yourself. It's also an instant kill hit scan weapon so if you get good at twitching you can just destroy anyone any time you can even see half a pixel of a pilot. Also laser core does many damages.

Also I have no idea how to embedd webms

https://gfycat.com/ShockingMasculineAnkolewatusi

:thumbsup:

"weakspots" are the red parts that get highlighted when you look at an enemy titan, right? Are they the same thing as a crit? Do you know if Ion's default "get energy back when critting" kit is good?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gunder posted:

"weakspots" are the red parts that get highlighted when you look at an enemy titan, right? Are they the same thing as a crit?

Yeah same thing. Zap one and watch the HP melt. Your hit marker will flash red if you hit it right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

radintorov posted:

I can confirm it does: your dashes are completely recharged and their subsequent recharge rate is massively increased so that it can almost act as a Dash Core from 1.

And speaking of Ronin, a short clip from a game tonight with my fellow euro goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTZT83Rg0-Q

If you wanna do something really badass you can phase dash with Ronin at the right distance so you kinda spawn half in the hitbox of an enemy titan and it will autocorrect both your positions. You can do this to instantly drown a titan at any health level without the ability to eject.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

re: Ion's Vortex Shield query earlier, I did some testing in a private match and it doesn't lose the projectiles, if your shield runs out, any ordnance you're carrying gets flung wherever you're aiming

Also tested Scorch Shield - as it absorbs damage, it DOES drain faster, so if a scorch is in your face, its not a waste to shoot the shield, it'll drop it faster (and save you damage if its actually frying you).

Ronin's everything works together to beat rear end. Arc wave stuns, phase lets you reload safely, block absorbs like 75-90% of damage (hard to gauge), so you can block while waiting on arc/phase/dash to recharge. Sword Core refreshes everything and makes dash recharge faster.

He's mean as hell, but you have to effectively utilize all of his skills and play smart since you're in close quarters so often, otherwise you're better off with the other pain in the rear end light mech, Northstar.

I still think Tone is the strongest/easiest to use, but there isn't a single Titan I don't like :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I guess there was an update today? And Origin decided not to download the update until I got home?? And now the whole thing's locked up while it tries to download???

What the hell, I hate this software.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am getting really sick of seeing only legion and tone...

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have begun running Scorch auto-titan exclusively and just rodeoing any titan my auto-titan starts fighting, it's actually hilariously effective.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I just don't like actually piloting Scorch at all :\

Ion on the other hand is way more fun than I expected, now that I know you don't have to charge them those Qs loving hurt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure I get the appeal of the CAR. I seem to do terrible with it and I usually love smgs in games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure I get the appeal of the CAR. I seem to do terrible with it and I usually love smgs in games.

Jump around like an insane maniac and never ADS, basically

Pair it with the drugs robot for maximum effectiveness

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lemming posted:

The Alternator is even better at this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

This is pretty much how I always play and the damage output just felt low to me. I'll have to give it some more time maybe.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Try the Mozambique. It's good at all ranges since it has no spread or drop and the damage dropoff is extremely slow. People also freak out at a storm of electricity balls flying at them and don't notice the robot sprinting up behind the shots to kick them in the face.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not a big "get frustrated and smash my controller" type, but I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer FPS that I was so bad at. I seem to be having a hard time spotting pilots and it's getting me killed a ton.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I'm not a big "get frustrated and smash my controller" type, but I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer FPS that I was so bad at. I seem to be having a hard time spotting pilots and it's getting me killed a ton.

Run Maphack/Sonar Pulse/Tone and uh, yeah. Always see all the things all the time. Zero counters that I'm aware of too, even radar jammer only shuts down the minimap part, not the wallhack part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Make sure not to run out in open areas too much as a pilot.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Anyone had any luck with the Steam overlay? It's not cooperating for me. Flickers on when I start the game, then poops out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm starting to see nothing but Legions and Tones too and it's starting to make the game quickly lamer :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks for the advice. I think some of it is just beginner's shittiness and low map awareness, and it's not like I've ever been a god at any other FPS but I've generally felt like I was at least not actively dragging my team down until TF2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I'm starting to see nothing but Legions and Tones too and it's starting to make the game quickly lamer :(

Honestly, I got sick of dying to them and started using Legion tonight an he feels really overpowered like it's not even worth using some of the other Titans. The worst part is he is just about the most boring one.

Ronin is by far the most fun, but you can only get torn apart by legion so many times before it's just like "gently caress it".

E: Legion does kind of suck for vs. pilots/grunts though.

I'd expect the first patch to include some Titan balancing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man Reapers hit really hard. They can be a really big threat later on in the match.

RichterIX posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. I think some of it is just beginner's shittiness and low map awareness, and it's not like I've ever been a god at any other FPS but I've generally felt like I was at least not actively dragging my team down until TF2.

Did you play the singleplayer? That helps a lot to introduce you to all the mechanics and let you get good at them.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I think Legion and Tone are going to get a visit from the Nerf Fairy, and hopefully soon.

Like Legion's issue seems a bit obvious to me (his gun is a bit too versatile in long range mode, like I feel like it should have more of a ammo drain to make you consider using the short range mode + smart core shouldn't give you infinite ammo), though Tone's is more of a consequence of her loadout making her really versatile, so beyond nerfing shell size I'm not sure what to tweak beyond that.

Make Tone's sonar pulse only ping titans, maybe?

Exposure fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 2, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RatHat posted:

Did you play the singleplayer? That helps a lot to introduce you to all the mechanics and let you get good at them.

I played a little of it but I should probably finish it up just to understand things a little better. I was eager to jump into the MP because I don't have a lot of time to play, but I do feel like I'm missing some info because of that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Exposure posted:

Make Tone's sonar pulse only ping titans, maybe?

As someone that uses Tone nearly exclusively, I agree, Tone is just way too good at knowing where everything is at all times and the cannon is a little too perfect dealing with all types of mobs. It's a little absurd. I won't even round a bend unless I have my Sonar Pulse active which I also have set to ping twice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If anyone wants a code for a coliseum ticket and some nose art Courtesy Of Buffalo Wild Wings i guess here's a code titanfall.com/redeem

25RH-VB4*-4R8L-48C6

* = the first letter of this game's name

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When you regen as a pilot, do you keep any weapons or weapon mod unlocks? I just want my pimped out Alternator. :smith:

Also, do you get a permanent XP boost from regen like you did in TF1?

Edit: thanks for the nose art^^^

Gunder fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 2, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing about Tone and Legion is they're just easier to play than the other titans, so everyone is gravitating towards them. Scorch will do pretty well against both, since big thermite patches are very effective against slowpokes like those two (and their shields are useless against it), and even more effective against bad players that don't notice they're standing in fire. But Scorch also has a much harder time killing pilots than other titans, so there's more of a skill barrier.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lol oops I just played Coliseum against someone, came back from 0-2 to win, and bitched about wishing I could just pay 20 credits for a gift instead of doing that mode before noticing he was a dev. Whoops!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lemming posted:

Lol oops I just played Coliseum against someone, came back from 0-2 to win, and bitched about wishing I could just pay 20 credits for a gift instead of doing that mode before noticing he was a dev. Whoops!

Except that mode sucks and you're totally right :colbert:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

victrix posted:

Except that mode sucks and you're totally right :colbert:

Yeah I just felt bad because I doubt it's up to him and I was mean!!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Yeah I just felt bad because I doubt it's up to him and I was mean!!

Maybe he'll pass it along.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Added myself to the spreadsheet. Between this and BF1, I think i'm getting my shootmans skill back. Joined lljk despite being in europe due to my effed up working hours. Scorch is bae.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about Tone and Legion is they're just easier to play than the other titans, so everyone is gravitating towards them.

They're easier to play because they are better. Both are extremely flexible with zero downsides.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They're easier to play because they are better. Both are extremely flexible with zero downsides.

Yeah I hope they buff the other titans up to their level.

Game is fun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Downside the first: they are fat dickfarts and can't fly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Downside the first: they are fat dickfarts and can't fly

Downside the second: they don't have sicknasty laser beams

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ion ruins Legion solo. So does Ronin for that matter.

Tone is just easy to use, you can easily do just as well or better with other Titans, and if you know how to handle the lock-on mechanic (ie, rarely if ever letting them lock and/or hit you with missiles), her damage output actually kind of blows. If you block the hits (vortex/flame/barrier/block) or hard cover peek, the 40mm alone doesn't deal very impressive damage.

Spent all night playing Ronin tonight, he absolutely skullfucks every other Titan in solo honorabru combat.

Arc blade -> dash if in frontal arc -> unload mag -> phase shift while reloading -> arc blade -> unload mag, they're usually close to dead at this point and you get a sweet execute. Find next target, pop sword core, bladewreck.

Whenever that pc patch drops that helps with more reliable titan executions, that'll help Ronin a ton, I had a fight earlier where I swung four or five times with a sword core sword on a doomed Titan and wound up losing all my health and getting executed because it refused to trigger :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The alternator is stupidly good and I hope it never changes. ADS feels like a trap, since hip tapfire is pretty drat reliable for a good distance. Which is great since ADS just kills the flow for me.

How big a difference is warpfall? Thinking about rigging up a titan for automode buddy play and I figured the the shielded drop is a waste.