Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah. If it was part of the twist Hayter would've still had a small role and the japanese voice would've been changed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So is this just the Japanese game thread now? I miss Yechezkel :qq:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I bought it recently on a previous sale and love it, even after being thoroughly fatigued by open world games. My only gripe is that the radio is a bit lackluster but whatever. Slow mo diving out of a car dressed like Bruce Lee or going on dates dressed like an Asian cowboy, all this can be yours in Sleeping Dogs.

I found the soundtrack excellent myself. I mean, Sagittarius FM (classic rock/pop) has the only songs most people will actually know, yet I never found myself bothered by any other radio station that came on. Whoever selected the tunes was assembling a good set of music rather than going on a spending spree for famous tracks.

By contrast GTAV had an endless budget, bought a gazillion songs, and there are only 3 or 4 radio stations that I don't immediately swap from every time I get in a car. I'll take Daptone Radio and Softly over any of that. Last time a GTA game had a soundtrack where every radio station was good was Vice City Stories.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I miss Yechezkel :qq:

Hope you're still out there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Better to burn out than to fade away

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Even better to keep being awesome.

But really, he was pretty great.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bean mug posted:

Any current deals on PS+? I know I should have bought them before the price increase, but whoops.

If "regular old price" is acceptable, check stores with physical cards. At least in Canada, I've yet to see physical cards with the updated pricing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm, PS+ in Japan this month only has one PS3 game, in fact they only have 5 titles total, no cross-play. Wonder if it's going to start being phased out. :ohdear:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

It was legit a Kojima decision

Didn't he eventually come out and say that he had been wanting to change the Snake voice for a while and had tried to get Kiefer for MGS4?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, getting rid of Hayter was something he had been wanting to do for a while. Hayter basically had to reaudition every time, because Kojima was always trying to find someone else and basically settled for him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta be honest, Hayter's voice acting was always more "memorable" than "good."

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Davies Hayter made Snake the character he was

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

David H is the better snake and it sucks that Snake didn't talk as much in V presumably because of Sutherland's cost and maybe schedule.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have to agree. Considering the painfully dark storyline of MGSV, I couldn't picture Hayter pulling out the necessary acting chops. Sutherland was pretty drat good.

I'm wincing imagining the line "I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea" with Hayter's over-acted growl.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JazzFlight posted:

I'm wincing imagining the line "I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea" with Hayter's over-acted growl.

No one can pull off lines like that though. It's so corny.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

My Lovely Horse posted:

There are a couple line readings in 4 I'd call great, but yeah. It's crazy listening to the old MGS1 briefing cutscenes where there's almost no hint of a growl then hearing his performance in Peace Walker. Apparently the direction he went for with Old Snake permanently hosed up his vocal chords. Kiefer took a little getting used to, but I thought he was excellent whenever we got a chance to hear him. It seemed like Kojima consciously went for a Refn-type approach and wanted nonverbal communication to be more prevalent in MGSV.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought Keifer was excellent

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a lot more Kiefer in the audio tapes though and he's pretty good there too. They probably should have gotten rid of Hayter with Big Boss' proper debut in 3 but eh whaddya gonna do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I thought Keifer was excellent

Yup. My only gripe is that all the principal actors sound a little too similar so sometimes i mistake whos talking.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I actually love it that (MGSV twist spoilers) Big Boss is really quite chatty - in the opening, the tapes, the end - and Venom says very little by comparison. Feels deliberate and not entirely like an accident.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ramagamma posted:

Davies Hayter made Snake the character he was

Yeah, MGS1 has a Snake who is tough and hardened, but he has this sense of hope to him still, and a lot of heart in his performance. I think people really forget at times just how outstanding the vocal performances are in the original MGS, but Snake's voice has always been Hayter's for me. There's a lot of reasons I haven't picked up MGSV yet, MGS4 being such a headache being top among them, but next to that I think it's knowing I wouldn't hear Hayter reading the lines. He just lent so much to the character.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, MGS1 has a Snake who is tough and hardened, but he has this sense of hope to him still, and a lot of heart in his performance. I think people really forget at times just how outstanding the vocal performances are in the original MGS, but Snake's voice has always been Hayter's for me. There's a lot of reasons I haven't picked up MGSV yet, MGS4 being such a headache being top among them, but next to that I think it's knowing I wouldn't hear Hayter reading the lines. He just lent so much to the character.

As someone who really got soured on the series with 4, Peace Walker pulled me back in but V is easily the best stealth game ever made. It has the best gameplay in the MGS series by far and basically justified my buying a PS4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Akuma posted:

I actually love it that (MGSV twist spoilers) Big Boss is really quite chatty - in the opening, the tapes, the end - and Venom says very little by comparison. Feels deliberate and not entirely like an accident.

Yeah, people tend to jump to production reasons too frequently when considering the structure and tone of MGSV but it feels absolutely deliberate before considering the realities of the work that went into it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As someone who really got soured on the series with 4, Peace Walker pulled me back in but V is easily the best stealth game ever made. It has the best gameplay in the MGS series by far and basically justified my buying a PS4.

The hell, is it opposite day suddenly? 4 was pretty great, and V barely manages to avoid being tossed immediately in the same pile as Snake's Revenge and Portable Ops.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, super hard to believe a game with fun game play might be viewed favorably. we must be living in heaven on opposite day (thats hell in regular days, we're in video game hell)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No! You're the one who is opposite!!!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mgs5 is a hell of a great video game but its not a good Metal Gear game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The hell, is it opposite day suddenly? 4 was pretty great, and V barely manages to avoid being tossed immediately in the same pile as Snake's Revenge and Portable Ops.
someone needs to watch more BIG SARU videos

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Being a game at all puts it above 4 as far as metal gear goes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What the hell is going on in this thread. Why do people who post in Games hate video games so much. Every MGS game is fantastic

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's a lot of reasons I haven't picked up MGSV yet,.

:stare:

Phantom Pain is, like MeatwadIsGod said, one of the best stealth games ever made.

The game is worth it for the two subsistence missions alone.
Holy gently caress, get V asap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also unrelated but Demon's Souls is 8 on PSN at the moment, I'm currently working my way through SOTFS after playing Bloodborne to death. Will Demon's be too janky to go back to at this stage? I know it's 9 years old by now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the hell is going on in this thread. Why do people who post in Games hate video games so much. Every MGS game is fantastic

Love and hate are just two sides of the same coin

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Love and hate are just two sides of the same coin

Hope you get your body back sometime, Serge.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pablo Gigante posted:

Except for 4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also unrelated but Demon's Souls is €8 on PSN at the moment, I'm currently working my way through SOTFS after playing Bloodborne to death. Will Demon's be too janky to go back to at this stage? I know it's 9 years old by now.

I played it all the way through for the first time this year, after beating DS2,3 and Bloodborne pretty much in a row and still enjoyed it greatly. It definitely has some jank but if you like Souls games you need to play it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MGSV has nice core gameplay, but it's such a lurching, lifeless, repetitive experience that somehow manages to be both overly padded and immensely thin.

It's a mile wide and an inch deep, but every other game in the series that focused more on a tight experience has a few legs up on it. Going open world really hurt that game.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Gigante posted:

In a vacuum mgs 5 is fantastic but in the real world where people have limited time and budget its perfectly reasonable that someone would bounce off it.

Hell most of it is expectation, a lot of the reason i fell in love with metal gear solid on psx was i knew nothing going in. Phantom Pain had a helluva lot more to live up to by comparison.

Its for that same reason mgs2 is a bad video game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're a bad video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

Its for that same reason mgs2 is a bad video game.

This thread is crazy sometimes

• Locked thread