Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also reminder that marco arment was forums admin at the former Total Annihilation fan site annihilated.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Speaking of speaker grilles and holes, I wonder how many drops of coffee it takes to fry your brand new $3000 laptop this time

I care a lot more about water resistant computers than phones tbh, that big flat keyboard over the main logic board is like a liquid magnet!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Speaking of speaker grilles and holes, I wonder how many drops of coffee it takes to fry your brand new $3000 laptop this time

I care a lot more about water resistant computers than phones tbh, that big flat keyboard over the main logic board is like a liquid magnet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDmCmmvIA8A

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

lol most of the speaker-grill holes on the new mbp are fake

ahahhahaha

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
what was the razer tweet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Granbar posted:

a picture of their $1500 "gaming" laptop's sd card slot and said "you call yourself "pro"? s my d!" or something similar

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Granbar posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you might think you're professionals but our laptops have a common slot for a 10 year old memory card you'll use twice

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

and then some esports commentator (lmfao) "PC POLICE!!!"

https://twitter.com/Inmaniac/status/793632007334928384

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

christ it's dickwolves all over again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

nah

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

flakeloaf posted:

you might think you're professionals but our laptops have a common slot for a 10 year old memory card you'll use twice

It's fun to watch my generation come full circle and become the old men who complain about new technology. drat kids and their 5 1/4" floppies! :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's actually really funny to see all the exact same complaints as when the original imac launched with only usb ports and no floppy drive

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

except the MagSafe charging port was technologically superior to every other charging port out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah that's a big loss.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

the MagSafe charging port is technologically superior to every other charging port

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my ~girlfriend~ of many years ago once messaged me that she had this great idea for an invention. it was a magnetic plug for laptops that would break away so it wouldn't yank the laptop off the table if you accidentally pull it. I told her to look at the very Mac she was typing on and she was quite embarrassed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cryptomnesia is really interesting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

and then some esports commentator (lmfao) "PC POLICE!!!"

https://twitter.com/Inmaniac/status/793632007334928384

https://twitter.com/Inmaniac/status/793827158246293505

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

go play outside Skyler posted:

except the MagSafe charging port was technologically superior to every other charging port out there.

ehh magsafe is less important now that macs last all day, when it came out the the mbp only lasted 3 hours

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here come the freaking crybullies!!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway i'm stuck using a mac at work for today while my winders computer gets reimaged and holy crap this dongle situation. even if i could hunt down enough dongles to hook this thing up to ethernet and both my monitors, i wouldn't have enough lightning ports. what the gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

does the new macbook even have lightning ports? imagine having bought all these freaking dongles just to have to buy new dongles for your old dongles

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"daisy chain lightning" would be a great name for a dongle splitter

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GameCube posted:

does the new macbook even have lightning ports? imagine having bought all these freaking dongles just to have to buy new dongles for your old dongles
no mac has ever had lightning ports. do you mean thunderbolt? in that case, yes, all the usb-c ports are thunderbolt 3 ports.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GameCube posted:

no lightning ports, buy special cable to connect iphone 7 to new macbook

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
man how could anyoen ever confuse lightning and thunder?!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

man how could anyoen ever confuse lightning and thunder?!?

very very frightening!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

no mac has ever had lightning ports. do you mean thunderbolt? in that case, yes, all the usb-c ports are thunderbolt 3 ports.

but you need a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

but you need a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter

not for your lg 5k thunderbolt 3 monitor!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

"daisy chain lightning" would be a great name for a dongle splitter

well, literally not, since a daisy chain doesn't split, it's a chain

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

all i know is there's a picture of a lightning on the side of this computer, where i plug the dongle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

well, literally not, since a daisy chain doesn't split, it's a chain

well you know it won't be a useful one-to-three or one-to-four adapter, so you'll probably end up plugging one into the other anyway until you get enough empty jacks for your non dongle things

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GameCube posted:

all i know is there's a picture of a lightning on the side of this computer, where i plug the dongle

that's a thunderbolt

which is lightning, I guess

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The Management posted:

marco really has his panties in a bunch about the new MacBook Pro for some reason and has been on a 5 day twitter hissy fit about it. even though he won't shut up about it I have no idea what his problem is, but I'm sure not willing to listen to him whine for three hours on a podcast to find out

imo he has a point

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/793675468583084032

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
have my phone connected to both my personal laptop and work laptop. i get a phonecall and everything starts blowing up. i silence the call on the phone and both laptops silenced immediately as well. it just works thanks tim

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i just hope they keep updating FaceTime, a recent update finally added the option to keep the conversation window fixed above all others on mac os, a feature Skype had from the beginning lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he's still a whiny baby

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shifty Pony posted:

"The Touch Bar is considered an extension of the keyboard"

"In general, the Touch Bar shouldn’t include controls for tasks such as find, select all, deselect, copy, cut, paste, undo, redo, new, save, close, print, and quit."

it is an extension of the keyboard but do not use it to extend the keyboard kthx -Apple

this is because in a year or two* theyre planning to replace the entire keyboard with e-ink screens so youll likely get the cut icon on the x key, paste on v, find on f...

* lol who am i kidding at the pace tims apple delivers itll be in the mid 2020s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Any 15 inch "pro" laptop that isn't cramming in a 99.5 Wh battery isn't really pro imo

• Locked thread