Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Makes you wonder why he didn't just do that to Kuja at some point and finish off Alexandria with the Invincible.

I do wonder why Garland was on Kuja's ship, though, and why Kuja has silver hair instead of blond. Dye?

Kuja's gone grey from stress :(

Also, I like how, I don't know, efficient this scene is? It's probably one of the shortest plot-twist funks we've seen from an FF lead in a while. I always thought that it was because Zidane has his poo poo largely more together than some leads I could mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

YggiDee posted:

Kuja's gone grey from stress :(

Also, I like how, I don't know, efficient this scene is? It's probably one of the shortest plot-twist funks we've seen from an FF lead in a while. I always thought that it was because Zidane has his poo poo largely more together than some leads I could mention.

I always thought of it like this. Zidane is a 16 year old kid raised by circus people who just had a mean old uncle show up and tell him he's a)adopted, b)Hitler, and c) the insane guy that's been loving up everything in Zidane's vicinity is his brother. He reacts poorly, but he snaps out of it pretty quick because his cool friends that consist of A Circus Wizard Kid, Dr. Smart Hot Chick, Cool Gruff Uncle, Furry Fury, YEEAAHH BOYEE IT'S QUINA, Lil' Sis, and Tsunderbro are rad and love him.

Also, Amarant being blue never made sense to me until someone in this thread mentioned, hey, so's the Queen. And until I looked to make sure she didn't, it'd be pretty feasible for her to have bright red hair too.

edit: gently caress I knew I forgot someone.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 31, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always saw it as Garland putting in another soul in Zidane to get him out of the way. He wasn't really down on himself when he found out about why he was created, it was only after Garland KO'd him.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

NeruVolpi posted:

Can someone please repost that screen shot where Zidane recalls all teammates called Steiner? I just love it... :allears:

What a coincidence, I love posting it!

LPs where the player lets thread-readers decide what names to use are the best threads. :haw:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Suspect Bucket posted:

but he snaps out of it pretty quick because his cool friends that consist of A Circus Wizard Kid, Dr. Smart Hot Chick, Cool Gruff Uncle, Furry Fury, Lil' Sis, and Tsunderbro are rad and love him.

Also Quina! :zoid:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Zinco posted:

Yeah, back when I used to listen to the soundtrack around the game's release, the track always put me off. I can see why it has the instrumentation it does, thematically - a soft synthy organ, an electric guitar, a koto(?), bongos, and that weird men's chorus sample - none of which would seem to go together, but somehow it works, just like your team! Except it doesn't really work. Well, not for me, anyway.

It reminds me of a jazzier version of the Cosmo Canyon theme from VII. I can imagine that song with these instruments. In particular, there's a track that plays a bit later in VII called The Great Warrior that's a slowed-down version of it: Have a listen around 1:12, right after the part lifted straight from Secret of Mana. The bridge gives me the same vibe, anyway. A new instrument comes out of nowhere to play a slow, haunting melody that really stands out from the rest of the song.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bufuman posted:

What a coincidence, I love posting it!

LPs where the player lets thread-readers decide what names to use are the best threads. :haw:

Would have been slightly better if everyone was named Tantalus instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of renames, name Steiner 'Falcon' the next time you play the game.

No particular reason why.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Name them 'my,' 'brothers' 'in,' 'tantalus,'

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I once did a FFVI run where I named everyone "Kefka".

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, despite having 91 wins, Steam only counts me as winning 23. Even when I win, I can't win.

Tetra Master! :argh:

That's because the chievo requires you to win against 100 different people, not just 100 matches.

GUESS YOU GOTTA RESET NOW.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Nidoking posted:

It reminds me of a jazzier version of the Cosmo Canyon theme from VII. I can imagine that song with these instruments. In particular, there's a track that plays a bit later in VII called The Great Warrior that's a slowed-down version of it: Have a listen around 1:12, right after the part lifted straight from Secret of Mana. The bridge gives me the same vibe, anyway. A new instrument comes out of nowhere to play a slow, haunting melody that really stands out from the rest of the song.

That's a great song. It's also a lot more spare than You're Not Alone. With You're Not Alone, even before the full cacophony of instrumentation hits, it doesn't have a lot of breathing room. It's not the worst, it's just a bit much for me to listen to.

Speaking of game tracks with great build-up, Chrono Trigger's Secret of the Forest is up there. I was surprised as a kid when I let the song play instead of blowing through the woods in twenty seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r1iesThvYg

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That's because the chievo requires you to win against 100 different people, not just 100 matches.

GUESS YOU GOTTA RESET NOW.

End me, Ted. :negative:

Guess I won't be getting that Steam Achievement. Ah well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the idea of keeping in the hero's viewpoint so you wake up halfway through the final dungeon and your party's kicking down the door.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think the scene would work better if Zidane showed more panic than wimpiness, but it still floored me when I played it and gets me to this day.

As for the music, it's totally not the kind of track that ever stands out for me in these games. On paper I agree with the haters, but the fact is I loved it immediately and agree that it's on the short list for the series. Couldn't really tell you why.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
how anyone can hate that music is beyond me (okay I can understand, but I refuse!)

the dungeons music is also goddamn fantastic

quote:

the fact that he can put words like 'Mendicant' into every-day putdowns makes me laugh more than anything

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Zinco posted:

That's a great song. It's also a lot more spare than You're Not Alone. With You're Not Alone, even before the full cacophony of instrumentation hits, it doesn't have a lot of breathing room. It's not the worst, it's just a bit much for me to listen to.

Speaking of game tracks with great build-up, Chrono Trigger's Secret of the Forest is up there. I was surprised as a kid when I let the song play instead of blowing through the woods in twenty seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r1iesThvYg
Agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0zjJJ0Pf8

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I've always loved that scene. It works because of who Zidane is, and where he is at this point in his journey. He's been on the same one Vivi is/was, looking for "The place I'll return to someday", and he has the same reaction Vivi did when he discovered the Factory under Dali. Surprise, self-doubt, and uncertainty. The difference between their reactions is that Vivi was already coming from a place of being unsure of himself, whereas Zidane had all that self-confidence, even if some of it was bravado and manufactured confidence. This is why it actually hits him harder than it did Vivi - he had much further to "fall" (also not helping was whatever it was Garland tried to do.)
Thankfully, he had a lot more people to give him the pep talk he needed to snap out of his depression quickly, so we weren't treated to him being in a wangsty funk for the rest of the disc and half of the next. It's one thing this scene taught me, that I worked out later on in life. Never underestimate the power of enough people saying the right thing at the right time to the person who needs to hear it the most. drat if they didn't pull that part off nicely here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You're Not Alone is my favorite track from this game, and one of my favorite Final Fantasy music pieces overall, though I have to admit it doesn't mesh together all that well. (Whoever mentioned that it's kind of like our party members hit it right on the nose.)

I've heard a couple alternate versions of it that fix that issue. The first one was a full on orchestral version of it that just replaces the electric guitar bit (which is really out of place) with strings, and works really well. The other was from The Black Mages, and just goes full rock the whole way. Either one works. A mixture of the two works less so, but it's still a really good track.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I knew that I've never played FFIX through to the end, but I didn't know how little of the game I've actually seen.

I never suspected this part of the game would happen, and despite having a friend who's something of a connoisseur of Final Fantasy music, I've never heard You're Not Alone before in my life.

That was... something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

VKing posted:

I knew that I've never played FFIX through to the end, but I didn't know how little of the game I've actually seen.

Where did you stop?

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Where did you stop?

I don't quite remember, but I think it was somewhere near the start of disc 3. Or maybe near the end of disc 2.

I've never owned a playstation, so all my playing was done on a system borrowed from my aforementioned friend. I guess I had to give it back before I finished it and never got around to it again.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'm kinda lukewarm on Zidane following in Vivi's footsteps as another super prototype origin. Feels less of an impact the second time around and the Genomes are drab and nowhere near as interesting as the Black Mages were.

It does look like Garland tries ripping his soul out, which is cool cuz it made me see the following scene as Zidane regaining his soul through his friends. But reading the following update his dialogue doesn't sell that angle and that's a letdown. I kinda like "You're Not Alone" but it feels underwhelming compared to how momentous this scene is trying to be, which also kinda clunks.

Speaking of which, Zidane's "YOUR angel of death!" line was great...if we didn't just go right back to trundling through scenes unrelated to paying off good one-liners.

This part of the game definitely stumbles a lot with impact.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't mind this part of the game, honestly. I think Garland is pretty neat, and (Castle?) Pandemonium was also a pretty fantastic location.

The only thing that bothers me is how unconnected this area feels from the rest of the game, even though it deals with Zidane and Kuja's backstory. I mean, we went from the nations of the world being destroyed to planets assimilating and blue light becoming red and alien spaceships and :words:.

Honestly, after a while, all of Garland's rambling just became white noise for me because they really liked using a lot of purple prose for his plan.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I think Garland is a really cool villain, warts and all, and also I like how his name is Garland and his plan to disrupt the soul flow involves creating chaos, calling back to the final boss of FF1 in a way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quote:

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

We got some catching up to do.

code:
 o Next, fly over to Treno. Make sure Amarant still has the Kaiser Knuckles and
   Black Belt equipped, and the MP Attack and Bird Killer abilities activated.
 o You may want to save your game at this point.
 o Challenge Amdusias with Amarant; a single swipe with the Kaiser Knuckles is
   all it takes to win the prized Running Shoes!
That's easy, then.

Now, for one of the stat paths, you have to play a bunch of Chocobo Hot and Cold. Under time pressure, and at the mercy of the RNG. This...doesn't sound like fun at all.

For example:
code:
  | * Make a pit-stop at Chocobo's Forest before heading to Treno; you need |
  |   to find the last 2 Chocograph Pieces, and a ton of Dead Pepper.       |
  | * You'll have to play two games, so try to make the most of it by maybe |
  |   finding all 8 treasures and getting a nice limit bonus. It will save  |
  |   you plenty of frustration soon enough.                                |
  | * At the very least, try to find at least 2 Dead Pepper per game. This  |
  |   will also reduce potential frustration during the next part.          |
And this (this is NOT the super frustrating next part!):
code:
  | * Defeat Amdusias and claim your Running Shoes as described earlier.    |
  | * If you want to save some time, become VERY familiar with the location |
  |   of the Mist Ocean Chocograph and don't bother saving after the weapon |
  |   shop battle.                                                          |
  |                                                                         |
  | * Either way, exit Treno and find the Mist Ocean Chocograph to finally  |
  |   get the Sky Transformation!                                           |
  | * Afterwards, swim north to the long peninsula on the Outer Continent   |
  |   and use the forest there to become airborne.                          |
  | * Fly just a bit south to Kuentis Peninsula and land again. Dismount    |
  |   Choco, make sure you're facing southeast and standing with Choco in a |
  |   forest, then finally save your game.                                  |
  | * From this location, you can just load and reset until a shadow appears|
  |   on the peninsula: that's Chocobo's Air Garden, your next destination. |
  | * To reach it, you need to mount Choco, fly up, and use a Dead Pepper   |
  |   while above the shadow. This is why your Dead Pepper inventory is so  |
  |   critical!                                                             |
And the kicker:
code:
  | * It's finally time to claim that elusive Robe of Lords, but you will   |
  |   need a grand total of 10,000 Chocobo Hot&Cold points to get it.       |
I think this is one of the craziest things in the guide to pull off. One would never think that it's possible to not only finish H&C with all Chocographs, but also with the highest point reward within the timeframe given, but apparently it is. And why would you do that? Well, because iirc the Robe of Lords when equipped gives a levelup bonus to every stat, so as soonish there will be unavoidable levels, you need this for one of the chosen paths to maximize your stats. There is another later, I think, but too late for this constraint. And this is why you aim to play a bunch of H&C games...perfectly.

code:
  | * You will have to reset until you manage to dig up all 8 items with a  |
  |   limit bonus of at least 1,000 points. Then repeat until you have the  |
  |   requisite 10,000 as well as the Fairy Island Chocograph.              |
  | * Since your Beak Lv will still be rather low at the beginning, you may |
  |   not get very high scores, but you should try to get higher ones as    |
  |   your Beak Lv rises.                                                   |
  | * Depending on how many points you've already collected, and on how big |
  |   your limit bonuses will be here, you will need between 8 to 10 games  |
  |   at 1,000+ points per game.                                            |
I cannot possibly imagine how frustrating this must be to achieve. Meanwhile, you need to pay attention to your Dead Pepper inventory, so you might after all this still fail if you happen to not dig up enough of those...

All this nonsense is supposed to add only 26 minutes to your playtime, but I suspect it's days of cursing the RNG in real life time.

Ipsen's castle contains nothing noteworthy. The Taharka strategy seems heavily, heavily luck-dependant too - especially with the added Steal target - but probably nowhere near as insane as the previous goings-on.
code:
     .=================.                                            _____
  .--| BATTLE: TAHARKA |-------------------------------------------(11 AP)--.
  |  '================='                                            ¯¯¯¯¯   |
  | • Simply have Steiner attack and inflict Heat on Taharka, which will    |
  |   promptly end the battle. The Flame Saber has a 10% chance of causing  |
  |   Heat.                                                                 |
  | • Everyone except Quina needs to survive this battle for AP, so have    |
  |   Freya or Quina throw Phoenix Down if necessary. If you are aiming for |
  |   COMBINED stats, then Quina needs to survive as well.                  |
  | • Zidane should Steal the Orichalcon.                                   |
   >-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
(COMBINED is the route with the highest stats total, which is also the one requiring you to farm up the Robe of Lords)

Daguerro is then done as well as a lot of shopping, but it's not terribly interesting except for the meticulously compiled list of things to sell and buy.

Now for a segment which I don't quite get, but I'm sure there's a very specific reason for it. Quina, with the Robe of Lords equipped, needs to reach Level 45 now by precise grinding. It involves getting Level 5 Death (the fight itself a source of EXP), then doing this:
code:
  | * Now comes the fun part: run onto the grass and get ready to slay some |
  |   GRAND DRAGONS!                                                        |
  | * You'll need to defeat 5, and LV5 Death makes short work of them.      |
  | * Save between battles if you like, but you should try to get 2 or more |
  |   battles per save after the second battle once Quina is stronger; use  |
  |   an Elixir at that point to replenish HP and MP.                       |
  | * Once you've defeated 5 Grand Dragons, DEACTIVATE the Level Up ability |
  |   and defeat 1 more Grand Dragon.                                       |
  | * If you've done everything correctly, Quina should be at Lv45 with     |
  |   319,094 EXP.                                                          |
Again, I have no idea why these exact values are so important. We see here too a major divergence from OFS' game, of course - at least for this and most other stat paths - because it's a perfect game guide, not a Level 1 game guide. You stay at Level 1 for so long because you'd get inefficient stat bonuses at level up, not because it's a self-imposed extra challenge. As the Robe of Lords and other equipment to give you the perfect level ups become available (I omitted that you also absolutely need to get a Dark Matter from the Auction House for this), staying at Level 1 is no longer necessary.

All of this is done before the Earth Guardian, with the grinding supposed to take less than 10 minutes. The fight itself is rather formulaic and possibly a breath of fresh air:
code:
     .========================.                                     _____
  .--| BATTLE: EARTH GUARDIAN |------------------------------------(11 AP)--.
  |  '========================'                                     ¯¯¯¯¯   |
  | • Have Zidane attack, then Quina cast Night, in that order.             |
  | • Zidane should get another turn before the Night animation is over;    |
  |   have him Steal either the Rubber Suit or the Avenger.                 |
  | • Wait for Zidane's ATB gauge to fill, then use a regular attack and    |
  |   keep the X button pressed to command Quina to use Night immediately   |
  |   afterwards.                                                           |
  | • Repeat this one more time to Steal the other item, except have Quina  |
  |   Eat the boss rather than cast Night a third time.                     |
  | • You need to Steal both the Rubber Suit and the Avenger, because you   |
  |   need the 18,000 Gil you receive from selling them.                    |
  | • If Zidane is at Lv 1, then there is a slight chance that he won't do  |
  |   enough damage for Quina to Eat the boss. Reset and try again if this  |
  |   happens.                                                              |
   >-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
On Terra, there is one more very specific Level gain for the nefarious Combined path:

code:
  |   Lords and Pearl Rouge; activate Auto-Float, Auto-Potion and Chemist.  |
  | * Encounter a Hecteyes while going through Terra and have Garnet throw  |
  |   an Elixir at it once everyone has knocked themselves out.             |
  | * She will reach Lv20 with 17,096 EXP.                                  |
  | * This battle is included in the total battle count for this segment.   |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Again, I don't know how those exact values came to be, but it definitely has to do with how the forced EXP gains coming up pan out. Depending on your chosen path. Do you now get why I said it's quite complicated and possibly a little too boring?

I'll leave it at that, was a lot anyway!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's beautiful in its inanity and insanity.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Now for a segment which I don't quite get, but I'm sure there's a very specific reason for it. Quina, with the Robe of Lords equipped, needs to reach Level 45 now by precise grinding. It involves getting Level 5 Death (the fight itself a source of EXP), then doing this:
code:
  | * Now comes the fun part: run onto the grass and get ready to slay some |
  |   GRAND DRAGONS!                                                        |
  | * You'll need to defeat 5, and LV5 Death makes short work of them.      |
  | * Save between battles if you like, but you should try to get 2 or more |
  |   battles per save after the second battle once Quina is stronger; use  |
  |   an Elixir at that point to replenish HP and MP.                       |
  | * Once you've defeated 5 Grand Dragons, DEACTIVATE the Level Up ability |
  |   and defeat 1 more Grand Dragon.                                       |
  | * If you've done everything correctly, Quina should be at Lv45 with     |
  |   319,094 EXP.                                                          |
Again, I have no idea why these exact values are so important.

It's just the quickest way to get Quina a high enough level, that s/he wont gain a level from the forced experience in those Pandemonium battles, where s/he'd have sub-optimal stat leveling equipment.
Specifically 'the best' equipment for stat ups for Quina includes the Holy Miter, which the player would have, from a Chcograph... but only one, and Dagger would be using it during the Pandemonium sequence.
Somewhat ironically, the player gets a second Holy Miter immediately after those fights, by back tracking to that chair Zidane wakes up in prior to those forced battles. If the player had control in that room between waking up and talking to Vivi, that entire bonkers Chocobo grind would be completely unnecessary for the challenge.

iirc, the level and experience of Dagger isn't really important, as she already has the equipment to level 'optimally'. That Hecteyes encounter is just a quick way for her to level up to increase the players chance of surviving the Pandemonium battles.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

But think for a moment... Isn't life death itself? It must kill other life-forms to survive... Sometimes it even kills those with whom it shares blood...

A mature civilization becomes aware of this paradox...

It's a world in which life and death become one... That is the dimension in which we are meant to live, as beings that transcend life and death!

We know more than you... We're not perfect, but we have friends who help us. That is reason enough for us to live!
It took us a long time, but we've all found our way.
I exist to eat, but also exist to live!
We may be weak, but that's what makes us work together and help one another!

This reminds me so much of FF6's final battle where the party says their part before they fight, though Garland's slightly less of a ham than Kefka was. And also this isn't the final boss since we have another disc to go.

But this isn't going to be easy. We've got quite the gauntlet to close out Disc 3!

First off, the Silver Dragon. You may remember it from serving Kuja for the first two Discs.

Also, the Pandemonium music still plays for this battle.

It's mostly wind (Aerial Slash, Twister) and physical (Shockwave, Claw) attacks. This attack happens to trigger Trance for both Zidane and Quina.

Dragon Mail is its big steal (Kaiser Knuckles would be if we didn't get some Chocobo hunting earlier). It's exclusive to Freya and teaches her High Jump, a passive that boosts the damage of her Jump command. Normally Jump does 150% the damage of Freya's physicals, with High Jump it's 200% the damage. For only four stones, it's not too shabby if you Jump a lot (and didn't just grind Dragon's Crest to max damage instead).

Otherwise, Silver Dragon is a joke. It's vulnerable to Ice and Wind attacks as well as status effects like Darkness, Silence, and Sleep. The former two neuter its attacks, the latter nullifies the boss itself.

It does have a rather neat death effect though.

The restoration of Terra! Isn't it obvious!?
No! That's what the people of Terra want. Why aren't you asleep with the rest of them?

I exist to wait for a time when this world is without life or death...

According to outside sources, Garland is an android charged with being in charge of the whole Terra migration system thingy, thus his being involved in the events of things for thousands of years.

With no time to recover, we immediately have a battle with Garland himself. He's not nearly the pushover Silver Dragon was.

Stop, as you remember, is essentially instant death. Locomotion on your team is highly encouraged.

Psychokinesis is a physical attack where Garland raises and slams the character down. It cannot be evaded.

He also has a stronger physical attack called Wave, though inflicting Darkness on him will help with this.

And finally, he has Flare, which can hurt.

Unless you're Vivi. Then you just get pissed off and throw double the Flares back at him.

Alternatively, try to stick Silence on him to stop his Flares and Stops, though it may take a few tries to do.

Garland has two different light armors availble. The first is Ninja Gear, for Zidane and Amarant only, which slightly boosts Speed and teaches Alert, Eye 4 Eye, and Locomotion. We technically could've gotten this earlier by having Quina obtain 99 frogs. The latter armor is for everyone except Steiner/Freya, the Dark Gear. Nice Spirit boost and teaches Clear Headed and Jelly.

Garland has a ton of HP (around 40k)to burn through and some dangerous attacks, but I'm pretty overpowered at this point so it doesn't take long to knock him down.

Give it up, Garland!

What the-

This is too easy!

Garland gave me everything without a fight. The old fool was too busy dealing with him. Now, only death awaits him.

This is no accident. Fate has chosen me to become the new ruler of Terra!

I must say... I truly love you all. You not only broke the seal to Terra, but did me the favor of defeating Garland!

What are you doing here, Kuja!?
That's not a very nice way to greet your brother.

Oh, such ferocity... Master Garland, he intends to fight Terra.
Kuja... What are you scheming?
Scheming? Me? Watch me as I defeat these enemies of Terra!

For all eternity!

The final boss of Disc 3 is Kuja himself.

His main attacks are Demi and Thundaga, nothing too scary at this point. He does have one other nasty attack that I didn't trigger during this fight, the rather scary Flare Star that deals damage equal to character level * 40. He'll break it out in certain circumstances, like if you drain his MP or reflect his spells.

He's only vulnerable to Slow and Darkness, the latter useless since he only uses magic. In a way, he's less scary than Garland unless you have bad luck with Flare Stars.

He has a bit more HP than Garland, so it takes awhile to bring him down. All the while he'll gloat and mock you, because that's what Kuja loves to do.

He has another Carabini Mail and another Light Robe, both old news at this point but still nice duplicates to have.

After I finish stealing, it's a matter of spamming Flare/Bahamut/Thievery until...

Meet Trance Kuja.

I'll show you my true power!

Ultima is a staple FF attack. Generally, it's the most powerful magic spell in whatever game it's in.

FF9 is no exception.

No, our party cannot learn it, and only Kuja has it. It's a cutscene spell that simply wipes our party.

The mighty power of souls! They assault any threat that tries to destroy them!
Wh-What do you mean...?
It's Trance! You know how it works. But a normal Trance won't be enough to defeat you... You're all as resilient as oglops.

It was easy. I just needed to borrow the power from wretched souls that can't die...

The ship sucked up the souls of Madain Sari, the Iifa Tree, Alexandria, to feed upon them...

No...

The souls trapped inside the Invincible welcomed me with open arms. They were fed up with being your prisoners, Garland.

I shall rule Terra and Gaia with my unconditional love from now on...
What will you do with such...power?
Master Garland... You, of all people, should accept defeat gracefully.

How sad... Any last words?

Or should I kill you slowly and painfully to show you my love... Oh, I've got a great idea! How's this? I'll make you pillars for my castle!

No... Never!

SILENCE

Did you leave something behind?

...What? What do you mean!?

It was too dangerous to let you last any longer than that.
What are you saying...?

Even as I die, you'll have died without ever leaving your mark on the world...

Ha ha ha... Nice try, Garland, but I won't fall for your silly tricks... Garland?

A mortal...? ...I'm finished? I don't believe you! Why would I believe such a silly story!

I single-handedly brought chaos unto Gaia, but in the end, I'm nothing but a worthless doll!
Kuja...

...Kuja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6ciFssUZQ

Kuja has obtained enormous power immediately before finding out he's going to die soon.

That's probably the worst time to tell someone they're going to die.

Kuja proceeds to have quite the temper tantrum. On the bright side, at least he's flown past Denial quickly and jumped right into Anger.

He...may have just utterly destroyed all of Terra while dealing with it, though. He may have overreacted a little bit. Just saying.

But how...? We need to carry the injured out, too.

Oh yeah... But...

!?
I'm gonna rescue the Genomes! They're victims. I can't just abandon them!

Dagger!?
I don't want you to leave us again... So, I'll keep watch over you!
...Okay. We should be able to go back through the warp gate on the other tower!

At this point, the rest of this is rather linear.

SILENCE

What's wrong?
B-Behind you...

Just eyes...? How very bold of you...

In case you needed a reminder that Dagger is the best FF heroine.

Um... About what happened earlier...
What is it, Zidane?

Just say it! We need to hurry.
Um... You came to my rescue, right? And... Uh...

Zidane...
How can I say this...? Um...

-----

Amarant's too cool to worry about dying. He'll just stroll out casually like a jackass.

Poor Quina.

Let's evacuate the Genomes!

Yeah! I'll go this way! We'll meet up when the Invincible arrives!

-----

Hold it! Where is Quina!?
Aaargh! Is s/he late again!?

Don't worry, as we've learned by now that Quina has a knack for escaping utter destruction through blind luck.

See?

Why were you underneath the ship in the first place...?
Save it for later! We must get the ship moving!

-----

SILENCE

What's the point? They're only empty vessels...
Stop talking like that! Do you really believe what you just said!?

But Garland is dead. Terra will soon be destroyed. What's the point?
I asked myself the same question...
Did you find an answer?

It's gonna be hard...but I've got my friends. It isn't so bad.

Huh?
Garland gave you a name, didn't he?

Mikoto, huh? That's a nice name... A lot of people are gonna call you that from now on.

Let's go to the new world, Mikoto! There, you can find your answer...

-----

He'll be here any minute! He's looking for the last Genome...

Sorry I'm late. But now we got everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeSa-zTF2sg

And with that, we're finally done with Terra.

It was an interesting trip, got to meet new people, see new interesting flora and fauna, learn some pretty scarring secrets, undergo a crisis of faith set to some pretty sweet music.

But I'm happy to be heading back home. I don't know about you guys, but I feel Terra has too much burning and utter destruction going on for me to really want to stay any longer. It's nice for a vacation spot, but even complete annihilation gets boring, you know?

Home, sweet home.

DRONING SOUND

Yes, we managed to escape from Terra, but...
What's wrong, Freya?
Well, I was talking to Amarant about it earlier...

...Are you talking about Kuja?
Do you really think he perished with Terra?
Even with his power, it's hard to believe that he'd have escaped unscathed...
What do you think, Zidane? What will Kuja do next?

But how?
There was one thing Garland said...

That must be...
Yeah... It's the Iifa Tree.

You must come look! Come with me!
What's up, Steiner? Can't you just tell us?
It would be faster to come see it on the bridge!

It's not a normal cloud...
What...? Let's lower our altitude and see.
Don't you see? Our altitude is not very high. And this is all we can see!
Then what could it be...

:siren: :siren:

It's what black mages are made out of, and what used to cover the Mist Continent...

Why...? How?

It seems Kuja isn't done yet. His influence and the events of Terra have flooded the entire world with Mist, the souls of Gaia that cannot return to their planet due to the influence of the Iifa Tree.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kuja not only got a permanent Trance, but one that activated when he wanted it to? Yeah, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

Worth noting, though, is that his Trance form is his EX Mode in Dissidia, much like Zidane.

And I'm still salty that Garland and Kuja give no AP. :argh:

Here are the other lines if you bring the other party members, incidentally.

I may not know who I am, but that is my question alone to answer!
We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!
We live to protect the ones we love!
Blind pursuit of power is a meaningless vice.

Edit:

Garland, you dick.

Edit II:

Now that we've gotten to this point, it becomes really clear that Kuja is an amalgam of previous villains. Most predominantly Golbez, though he starts evoking Xande and Kefka after getting Trance.

Additionally

Mega64 posted:

I single-handedly brought chaos unto Gaia, but in the end, I'm nothing but a worthless doll!
Kuja...

...Kuja?

I really love these lines. You can just imagine the gradual turn of 'oh poo poo' in his voice once Kuja goes eerily quiet.

Not only that, but I think this is the point where Kuja drops all of the theatrical language and just begins speaking normally.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quina is the best.

Shame the world(s) got wrecked though

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Trance Kuja is a great 'we're so screwed' moment. Especially since Ultima came right afterwards.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I have to go now. My home planet needs me.

(note: kuja died on the way back to terra)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I totally forgot about the three-part battle here. Thought that the Silver Dragon was a bit later, but I won't say any more than that. It's got a pretty cool design though. I'm glad that when Final Fantasy thinks "dragon", it can end up meaning a whole mess of different things.

Sidebar for Record Keeper, but an "Ultimate-difficulty" version of Kuja was lauded as one of the hardest challenges in the entire game. It was basically eating -ga level spells that did 9999 damage if your mitigation wasn't good enough.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kuja not only got a permanent Trance, but one that activated when he wanted it to? Yeah, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

He did get beat up a whole bunch by the party, so at least that's consistent :v:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Sidebar for Record Keeper, but an "Ultimate-difficulty" version of Kuja was lauded as one of the hardest challenges in the entire game. It was basically eating -ga level spells that did 9999 damage if your mitigation wasn't good enough.

I also liked that during that fight, you have to deal with Trance Kuja for the second half. Like the Meltigemini fight after that event, it gives the fight a really nice momentum as the intensity ramps up.

Speaking of which, another stumble for this part of the game: Silver Dragon's the only boss in this rush who gets Pandemonium's theme for its fight. I'm fine with Kuja getting the dramatic shaft, but Garland just getting the standard boss theme is pretty lovely. I also don't get why the Silver Dragon is placed the way it is. It's weird and clumsy, like if anything it should be Kuja's ally for a more fluid two-stage fight, but the whole boss rush just feels hastily cobbled together with regards to that kinda thing, like they just had to boot Garland off stage as fast as they introduce him so Kuja could attempt his Kefka act. Garland definitely feels like an awkard non sequitur, even with LP format allowing more things to sink in, and it's a real shame.

Not that I'm knocking IX's boss theme cuz it's one of my favorites, but with all the incidental tracks they have in this game they couldn't afford to bench the drat thing more often?

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love this scene with Kuja because it's such a lovely parallel to the Gulug Volcano scene where Kuja laughs in the face of the Black Mages and tells them they're all going to die soon anyway.

Guess he was imitating his creator more closely than he knew.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Trance Kuja is a great 'we're so screwed' moment. Especially since Ultima came right afterwards.

I like how they 1) made Ultima exclusive to Kuja and 2) didn't even bother with the formality of showing it do 9999 damage. gently caress you, it's Ultima, you're done. :fuckoff:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zeikier posted:

I also don't get why the Silver Dragon is placed the way it is. It's weird and clumsy, like if anything it should be Kuja's ally for a more fluid two-stage fight

It sort of makes sense as a bit of foreshadowing. "Why the hell is Kuja's epic mount here, and where's Kuja?"

Unfortunately Garland no-sells it, doesn't bother asking that question and just decides to let you fight it without getting suspicious. Doesn't even pat himself down to check to see if he has the keys to his Doom Ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wasted opportunity here for Quina to get left behind on the exploding Terra only to later tear through the fabric of reality back into the party. I think he/she would have gotten well along with Gilgamesh traversing the multi universe.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 3, 2016

• Locked thread