Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Monday_ posted:

My boss is Filipino and he loving loves Duterte. It takes every ounce of self control I have not to tell him that if his people elected this guy and are happy with him, then they're a bunch of dumb fucks and maybe that's why the place is a third world shithole.

But I'll just post it on the internet instead.

I've learned from American Filipinos that Duterte only kills drug dealers and corrupt drug-enabling people, so no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I usually find that many of them trip up when you ask why only poor people have been targeted and why the suppliers haven't really be focused on. They usually have no reply to that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
If they're anything like my boss, they'll just deny that its happening and then when you read them quotes directly from Duterte's mouth, like

quote:

If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.

or

quote:

Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there is three million drug addicts. I'd be happy to slaughter them.

they'll just ignore you and pretend you didn't say anything.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
How can anybody listen to that rhetoric and not think he's an insane person?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

How can anybody listen to that rhetoric and not think he's an insane person?

See: Donald J. Trump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As much as I think it was the right call to halt the sale of M-4's to our police force, it's just going to give Duterte more ammunition (pun intended) to claim that the US is a "fair weather friend" and that American assistance comes with strings attached.

Whatever sanctions the US levels against the Philippines, justified or otherwise, righteous or otherwise, is just going to be used as further pretext to run ever faster into the arms of China/Russia.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Isn't duterte mainly beloved for his anti-USA rhetoric?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rated PG-34 posted:

Isn't duterte mainly beloved for his anti-USA rhetoric?

No. The anti-USA rhetoric did not show up at all during the campaign.

If anything, he took his strong tough guy act against China, famously vowing to ride out to the Scarborough Shoal himself on a jetski and plant a Philippine flag there.

Duterte was/is beloved for this domestic policy positions, and on the odd occasion where foreign policy was a question he was asked, he either dodged or did a vague Trump-esque "we're going to beat China"

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

gradenko_2000 posted:

As much as I think it was the right call to halt the sale of M-4's to our police force, it's just going to give Duterte more ammunition (pun intended) to claim that the US is a "fair weather friend" and that American assistance comes with strings attached.

Whatever sanctions the US levels against the Philippines, justified or otherwise, righteous or otherwise, is just going to be used as further pretext to run ever faster into the arms of China/Russia.

This is absolutely true, but the alternative wasn't really a choice either for the US, domestically or internationally-- if they kept quiet the human rights folks would be up in arms over US complicity in extrajudicial killings, and it's not like playing nice would make Duterte any less inclined toward cozying up to China. His embrace of China was assured as soon as he started collecting all of GMA's old cronies. Speaking of which, how much talk has there been in-country of the rumor that Arroyo is elbowing Sen. Cayetano aside as the foreign Secretary who will replace Yasay?

Also, satellite imagery is showing China is still keeping fishermen out of Scarborough shoal. The Chinese "relaxed" theur blockade, but only from the restrictions they put in place after the arbitration tribunal; so PH fishermen are still blocked from entering the shoal just as hey have been since the standoff in 2012 but somehow Malacanang is claiming a big victory in negotiations. Beijing is completely having its way with the Philippines and Duterte's team is letting it happen.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The new thing I'm seeing today from my fellow doctors in the Philippines are various articles and videos about the seven countries that the US is bombing currently, despite having no war approved by Congress and calling Americans hypocrites because "those are the true EJKs."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/11/02/philippines-duterte-discovered-this-week-that-his-actions-have-consequences/

Fidel Ramos, Duterte's envoy to China, just resigned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Good. And he chewed Duterte out as he walked out the door.

But we all know what's really going to happen, Duterte will just call him a traitor and play up his base.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ihatepants posted:

The new thing I'm seeing today from my fellow doctors in the Philippines are various articles and videos about the seven countries that the US is bombing currently, despite having no war approved by Congress and calling Americans hypocrites because "those are the true EJKs."

One of the lines of attack that Duterte used to justify turning away from the United States, was that supposedly we could not count on American help in a conflict because any sort of military commitment would first have to be approved by Congress.

It's just another example of how loving uninformed he is (willingly or otherwise) because the US bombed Libya for months after Congress voted against an AUMF, and they're still bombing ISIS in Iraq and Syria for two years running now without an AUMF at all.

CronoGamer posted:

This is absolutely true, but the alternative wasn't really a choice either for the US, domestically or internationally-- if they kept quiet the human rights folks would be up in arms over US complicity in extrajudicial killings, and it's not like playing nice would make Duterte any less inclined toward cozying up to China.

Right - I agree, the US couldn't let those guns end up in Bato dela Rosa's hands without confirming every monstrously imperialistic stereotype that a tankie entertains in their head about America, but withdrawing the sale just gives Duterte more pretext to continue lambasting the US anyway (not that he wasn't already going to do that)

CronoGamer posted:

Speaking of which, how much talk has there been in-country of the rumor that Arroyo is elbowing Sen. Cayetano aside as the foreign Secretary who will replace Yasay?

I haven't heard about this at all, actually. A quick google digs up an opinion piece from mid-September floating the idea, but I've not heard any significant scuttlebutt about that. Yasay was always going to be just a placeholder for Cayetano, but if he gives the spot to Arroyo ... I think Cayetano is still too much of a lapdog/true believer to do anything about it, but that'd just drive the knife deeper that this whole administration is just a front for the Arroyo clique.

CronoGamer posted:

Also, satellite imagery is showing China is still keeping fishermen out of Scarborough shoal. The Chinese "relaxed" theur blockade, but only from the restrictions they put in place after the arbitration tribunal; so PH fishermen are still blocked from entering the shoal just as hey have been since the standoff in 2012 but somehow Malacanang is claiming a big victory in negotiations. Beijing is completely having its way with the Philippines and Duterte's team is letting it happen.

Late-breaking news today suggests that Filipino fishermen were ale to enter the shoal, but only because they ran a Chinese blockade, which really does prove the point that there is no accommodation or big win from the administration here.

Other recent news:

Former President Fidel Ramos, was (allegedly) one of the key players in convincing Duterte to run for President and endorsed him during the campaign. The President named him his Special Envoy to China, sending him on a diplomatic mission there in August to try and thaw ties ahead of the President's official visit last month.

But Ramos criticized Duterte in an editorial on the Manila Bulletin on the occasion of the President's first 100 days. Ramos criticized Duterte again on Oct 29, this time citing the President's refusal to sign the Paris Agreement on Climate Change as a serious problem.

Ramos resigned as Special Envoy to China on Oct 31st. Yesterday, Duterte shaped the new line of attack against Ramos, invoking his American education and West Point credentials while the President juxtaposed himself as a "local boy", the implication being that Ramos being critical of Duterte and having studied in America must therefore mean he's an American stooge now.

Duterte gave a speech today saying that his government will not pursue the use of nuclear power.

To editorialize:
* this is good because they shouldn't be touching the mothballed Bataan Nuclear Power Plant with a ten-foot pole
* this is good because the Philippine government, Duterte's especially, is probably not competent / incorruptible enough to be trusted with nuclear power even if they were to build a new plant
* this is bad for the same general reasons that we should be moving to nuclear power as a baseload-power-generator to shore up renewables
* this is bad because it may mean that the looming power crisis in the Philippines is not going to be addressed anytime soon (if no one beats me to this, I will try to expound on it in the future)

As could be expected, Duterte used the cancellation of the arms deal to bash on Americans some more.

He also made noises about sourcing the rifles from Russia instead. I don't know how realistic/feasible this idea would be.

As was posted upthread a while back, when Duterte came back from China on Oct 29, he claimed that God spoke to him on the plane, and he swore that he wouldn't swear again

Earlier today, he swore.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 2, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Monday_ posted:

My boss is Filipino and he loving loves Duterte. It takes every ounce of self control I have not to tell him that if his people elected this guy and are happy with him, then they're a bunch of dumb fucks and maybe that's why the place is a third world shithole.

But I'll just post it on the internet instead.
I'll happily tell him that to his face and probably drive his head through concrete

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the main imports and exports between the US and the Philippines? I'm trying to entertain the effectiveness of a massive embargo on the Philippines for as long as Duterte is in power, which is the economic version of Pope Francis deciding to Excommunicate the nation for the same reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

What are the main imports and exports between the US and the Philippines? I'm trying to entertain the effectiveness of a massive embargo on the Philippines for as long as Duterte is in power, which is the economic version of Pope Francis deciding to Excommunicate the nation for the same reason.

The US sends a lot of farm equipment/generic Ag stuff, PH is mostly service stuff.

They'd probably be hurt a lot more than we would.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

computer parts posted:

The US sends a lot of farm equipment/generic Ag stuff, PH is mostly service stuff.

They'd probably be hurt a lot more than we would.
Excellent. Hopefully the Clinton Administration will respond in this manner after Duterte calls Hilary a oval office on national television, just like how I lust for a full Oil Embargo on Nigeria.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a bunch of call centers in the Philippines for American companies. I used to work for one. That would probably screw American companies the most, but they'd probably just move their operations to India.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

There's a bunch of call centers in the Philippines for American companies. I used to work for one. That would probably screw American companies the most, but they'd probably just move their operations to India.

A lot of coding is done there too, I actually have a friend there who codes some popular software (SAP?).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Grouchio posted:

House maids

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

keevo posted:

House maids

And nurses

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xelkelvos posted:

And nurses

We have a ton of Filipino nurses, and they almost always work the night shift.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

computer parts posted:

A lot of coding is done there too, I actually have a friend there who codes some popular software (SAP?).

So yeah I do IT for a call center and my sister is a SAP coder so US companies pulling out of here would be ... bad

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I served a pinoy wearing a duerte wristband at work a few days ago. He said the US was strangling the Philippines. I think some of this behavior comes down to small dog syndrome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle..._content=202702

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

That's nightmarish. They're packed away like farm animals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

(to be clear, this was created by an opposition group and is supposed to be a send-up of the stupid typhoon comparison)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Xelkelvos posted:

And nurses

blackguy32 posted:

We have a ton of Filipino nurses, and they almost always work the night shift.

Ooh can't forget how many of them are in the US Navy. I can't keep track of how many uncles I have that served in the Navy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Commerz posted:

I served a pinoy wearing a duerte wristband at work a few days ago. He said the US was strangling the Philippines. I think some of this behavior comes down to small dog syndrome.

Should have asked him how the US was "strangling" the Philippines and why he thinks China would be any better considering how they treat their own allies.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Should have asked him how the US was "strangling" the Philippines and why he thinks China would be any better considering how they treat their own allies.

I said it will be interesting because China doesn't exactly treat countries in Africa well
and I could tell that level of discourse was already way over his understanding of the situation so I dropped it

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Been following this thread for a few months and I appreciate how informative it is. Its funny because I ask my filipino relatives things from time to time and they are just as "what the heck is going on" as I am. Thanks for all yhe info guys

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

(to be clear, this was created by an opposition group and is supposed to be a send-up of the stupid typhoon comparison)

Yeah but isn't this great for balikbayans? Shittier peso means foreign currency remittances are worth more. He's helping the economy, don't you see???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New York Times: What 'Locker-Room Talk' Sounds Like in the Philippines

Machismo isn’t quite what it used to be. Backlash and hashtags now hold politicians accountable for their so-called locker-room talk in much of the world. Yet the Philippines remains a glaring example of how men use language and law to try to emasculate opponents and maintain power.

At first glance, Filipinos do well in terms of gender equality. We beat the United States in having a female president by at least 30 years. Our nation has one of Asia’s highest percentages of women in government. Women on average receive more schooling, and their life expectancy leads men’s by almost seven years. This year Filipinos even elected our first transgender congresswoman — a milestone anywhere.

Our male leaders, however, belie those achievements. While the Philippines officially aspires to egalitarianism, being a woman can still be a liability and misogyny is still an effective weapon in politics. That happens around the world, but in the Philippines that hypocrisy is worsened by our endemic inequality.

In my country, any kind of privilege cultivates impunity, the church influences the state and dynasties control an overwhelming majority of elected positions. These factors help institutionalize sexism and patriarchy into public policy.

It took more than a decade of vicious debate before the Congress passed a law in 2012 to help provide poor women with reproductive health care and contraception. One of its most vociferous opponents was Senator Tito Sotto, whose popular TV variety show features scantily clad dancers. “Reproductive health in the context of a true Filipina does not pertain to safe and satisfying sex,” Mr. Sotto said, as he tried to strike a provision from the bill. “When a true Filipina speaks of reproductive health, she means family, marriage, responsible parenthood, nurturing and rearing her children.”

Such domineering hypocrisy, paired with the political pull of Christian groups, also explains why the Philippines is the last country, aside from the Vatican, where divorce is prohibited. Many wives remain stuck with husbands who hold power and purse strings.

Our penal code even treats with particular leniency murders committed by “any legally married person who, having surprised his spouse in the act of committing sexual intercourse with another person,” kills those involved. The male possessive pronoun is telling, especially since the law also protects parents who kill “daughters under 18 years of age, and their seducer.”

The rights of homosexuals also remain controlled by macho politicians. Senator Manny Pacquiao, most famous for his boxing, has declared that “if we approve male on male, female on female, then man is worse than animal.” Other leaders readily disparage gay people to suit their agendas. Teddy Locsin Jr., the Philippines’ new ambassador to the United Nations, once derided those seeking to refurbish Manila’s decrepit airport as “homeless gays” bemoaning the lack of “kneepads in restrooms.”

How do our leaders get away with all this? Patronage politics ensures their immunity from their own offending words — and from much worse.

Congressman Romeo Jalosjos, for example, received a double life sentence for raping an 11-year-old girl. Yet from behind bars he won re-election twice. And the president commuted his sentence in 2009 — after only 13 years in jail.

Similarly, President Joseph Estrada, in office from 1998 to 2001, celebrated having many mistresses. His 2007 life imprisonment for corruption resulted partly from investigations into the mansions he provided them. He was quickly pardoned by his successor, to assuage pressure by his supporters and relatives in government. Mr. Estrada is now mayor of Manila.

Our new president, Rodrigo Duterte, seems to understand well how machismo and chauvinism can be spun as populist proof of shared veniality. This septuagenarian boasts of having two wives and two girlfriends, and his love of Viagra. He harassed a female reporter during a news conference. He infamously bantered about raping an Australian missionary.

All that is dismissed by Mr. Duterte’s supporters as proof of his authenticity, innocuous wit or frankness about the West and its values. Some prominent women’s groups even back him because of his laudable initiatives when he was a mayor. He established laws against harassment and discrimination, distributed contraceptives and is said to have spent his own money on lawyers for battered women.

Yet, he, too, has no problem playing on gender biases for political ends.

Recently, an opposition senator, Leila de Lima, led an investigation into the thousands of murders committed during Mr. Duterte’s drug war. The president described Ms. de Lima as “immoral” and an “adulterer.” He said that he had seen a video of the senator having sex with her driver, who, he alleged, was her link to drug lords.

That declaration titillated the nation. Like insecure schoolboys in the locker room, Mr. Duterte’s allies gleefully followed his lead. One congressman seconded the president’s remark that the video made him lose his appetite, adding that it was a “horror story” featuring “ugly performers.” Another congressman said: “The male performer is good.”

No charges have been filed against Ms. de Lima, and the video was debunked as showing a look-alike. Yet the tactic was the dirtiest of many that succeeded in discrediting her opposition to the president.

Such willingness to exploit gender for power has an insidious influence. Filipinos now emulate the methods of our leaders, with women all along the political spectrum threatened online with rape and criticized for their sexuality or their gender as a way to impugn their opinions. The perceived weakness of women remains an easy target.

In the Philippines, as elsewhere, our leaders pretend that they’re like the common people. That is their greatest lie and failing. Most are better educated, all enjoy enormous privileges and few lead by example worth following.

Mr. Sotto once blamed a contestant on his TV show for having been raped. “You were wearing shorts,” he scolded her, “but still you went and did shots?” And after Mr. Duterte spoke wistfully about not being first in the gang rape of the murdered Australian missionary, he shrugged off the outrage. “This is how men talk,” he said.

That may sometimes be true, but Mr. Duterte is also our leader. He, and all those we empower, should finally act like it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress. My God it really is the Filipino Trump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Background: Senator Trillanes, at least in the context of Philippine politics 2016, was an attack dog for the Liberal Party and is, along with Senator De Lima, one of the few outspoken opposition Senators.

Senators slam Trillanes for calling colleagues Duterte apologists

quote:

Senators protested on Friday a colleague’s statement that some of them are “apologists” of President Rodrigo Duterte, saying it was “uncalled for” and “absurd.

During a forum in the Senate on Thursday, Trillanes lamented that some of his colleagues have already become the President’s apologists “trying to cover and offer alibis” for Duterte.

Senate Majority Leader Vicente “Tito” Sotto III called the remark “uncalled for.”

“[The] term apologist is uncalled for [because it’s possible that] a senator is also merely airing his opinion. [As they say], ‘to each his own,’ [let's not meddle in each others' opinions].”

Trillanes’ statement did not also sit well with Senator Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito, a member of the majority bloc in the Senate.

“Senators should learn how to respect colleagues. That is parliamentary courtesy,” Ejercito said in a separate text message.

“We all were given our respective mandates and therefore we are accountable to the people. It will be absurd to call senators as apologists,” he added.

Senator Panfilo “Ping” Lacson took to Twitter to express his sentiments, also in an apparent reaction on the issue.

“[Why should we, his colleagues, be also mad at the president he disagrees with, and in not doing be deemed worthless as well? What’s that?]” Lacson wrote in his Twitter account Thursday night.

Senator Gringo Honasan cited a tradition in the chamber not to comment on their colleagues’ actions and motives “because we are a collegial and consensual body.”

“We are a democracy where opinions and comments are welcome, as we all engage in the free market of vision, ideas and leadership,” Honasan said.

“We also have a tradition in the Senate that we never comment on our colleagues’ actions and motives because we are a collegial and consensual body,” he added.

During the same forum, Trillanes also claimed that more than 10 senators were “not happy” with the directions of the present administration.

Reacting to this, Sotto said: “I don’t know where he got his count but that’s his opinion so let him say what he wants.”

Neophyte Senator Sherwin Gatchalian said he was not aware who the senators Trillanes was referring to were.

“But so far, P-Digong’s (Duterte) approval rating is 86% and his trust rating is 86% also in the most recent Pulse Asia survey,” Gatchalian said in another text message.

“That means the people are quite satisfied with his performance and they trust him,” he said.

Asked if he was happy with how Duterte runs the country, Gatchalian said what was important was the general sentiment of the Filipino people as recorded by the surveys.

“The numbers will speak for [themselves] at least for now. So far, the President is delivering on his promise to get rid of illegal drugs and suppress criminality.”

“However, I would like to see proposals to sustain this promise. It should not be [hinged] on one man. It has to be institutionalized,” Gatchalian added.

It's not really big news, but I was amused at how defensive the rest of the pack sounded.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress. My God it really is the Filipino Trump.
Has Hilary Clinton mentioned any plans for the Philippines in her policies? War is sounding to start like the lesser of two evils here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Has Hilary Clinton mentioned any plans for the Philippines in her policies? War is sounding to start like the lesser of two evils here.

Clinton has only spoken of Duterte once, after the "son of a whore", meeting-with-Obama cancellation incident in early September:

quote:

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on Wednesday said U.S. President Barack Obama made the right decision to cancel his meeting with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

"With respect to the Philippines, President Obama made exactly the right choice," Clinton told reporters on her campaign plane. "When you meet with anyone, ally or adversary, you come in with a list of issues that are important to be raised. You determine what they are."

"On the other side, they determine what they want to raise. And clearly the president was going to raise concerns that are global about what is going on in the Philippines with extrajudicial killings of alleged drug dealers, that is now somewhere up near 2,000 killings," she said.

"When the president of the Philippines insulted our president, it was appropriate and a very low key way to say: sorry, no meeting. And since then there's been an apology and an expression of regret, which is appropriate," Clinton added.

Personally I think it's going to be very Trump-esque the way Duterte is going to be flabbergasted at having to deal with a woman from a position of significantly lesser power, considering how much of a loving sexist pig he is.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I think I've become too cynical. My first thought at the recently released plans for quickly implemented massive new infrastructure was that it was a big opportunity for graft. It'll also be used to legitimize and apologize for all the other terrible stuff Duterte has been doing, even if the two are completely unrelated.

I feel this is what Marcos did; build big infrastructure projects at 3 times the normal price, making it look like he's a "can-do" president while pocketing most of the funds and leaving Filipinos with 4 decades of debt. Certainly, my in-laws are rose-tinted Marcos-era apologists mainly because they recall that he did stuff like build bridges and roads. Big public works are part of the dictator playbook. All of our favorites historical despots employed this tactic.

As I said, pretty cynical.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chird posted:

I think I've become too cynical. My first thought at the recently released plans for quickly implemented massive new infrastructure was that it was a big opportunity for graft. It'll also be used to legitimize and apologize for all the other terrible stuff Duterte has been doing, even if the two are completely unrelated.

I feel this is what Marcos did; build big infrastructure projects at 3 times the normal price, making it look like he's a "can-do" president while pocketing most of the funds and leaving Filipinos with 4 decades of debt. Certainly, my in-laws are rose-tinted Marcos-era apologists mainly because they recall that he did stuff like build bridges and roads. Big public works are part of the dictator playbook. All of our favorites historical despots employed this tactic.

Cross-posting from the awful graphs thread:

You have every right to be cynical. Even their sales pitch for this program is built on shoddy and misleading statistics.

Especially since these programs are going to be funded with Chinese loans and built by Chinese contractors
Especially since these programs are only going to have a month for their contractor bidding process (because lets not kid ourselves, those Chinese firms are a shoe-in)
Especially since these programs are going to be heralded as a proof of Duterte's achievements even as they lay half-built and partly constructed, in much the same way that many of his "achievements" in his "first 100 days" was just him starting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

chird posted:

I know my favorite despots do/did.

Rajapaksa-senpai. :3: