Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It took me a while to realize it's just a stylized thick line on the back of Ginger Meggs' head and that he's not a peppy little Jewish kid.

(well, or is he? The line moves like Mickey Mouse's ears and doesn't stay on the back of his head all the time, but I can't quite tell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao he's paying the cop?!

That's not the cop, it's the head monk at this monastery. Still a twist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The cop is the head monk. AND NOW HE'S THE PRINCIPAL AT KIT'S NEW SCHOOL WHADDATWEEEEEEEST

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

That's not the cop, it's the head monk at this monastery. Still a twist.

Look again!

Is he wearing a cuff with no sleeve?

Look, he's a monk, a cop, and a Chippendale dancer. TRIPLE TWIST

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool, I definitely wanted a comic strip about Phil Fumble's spank bank.

(Phil Fumble's Spank Bank is my punk band.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQuuvtOuVLE

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm actually pretty surprised Gilchrist used a Harley Quinn outfit, just because the character's less than 40 years old.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

Candidate Risk Assessment
Posted October 31st, 2016 @ 6:13pm

Imagine you lived in a world in which no one except one senior citizen ever drank alcoholic beverages. Would you think it is a good idea to choose this one person – the only drinker in the world – to be in charge of the nuclear arsenal?

No, that would be crazy. We know alcohol impairs judgment. And a president is on-call for emergencies 24-hours a day. Alcohol plus life-and-death decisions is a dangerous combination.

The only reason social drinking (or worse) is not automatically disqualifying for the Commander-in-Chief job is because … wait for it … many of us also drink alcohol. Or most of us do – at least enough to consider it normal behavior and socially acceptable.

We Moist Robots like to judge the world through filters that assume we are the standard for normal and sensible behavior. And because many of us drink – as do most of our role models – we figure it must be okay for a President to drink.

It isn’t.

Because of nuclear codes and terror attacks and whatnot.

In most presidential elections, voters have a choice of one social drinker or the other social drinker. Risk-wise, that’s a tie. But this election features a candidate who is known to like her alcohol versus a candidate who has reportedly never had a drink, an illegal drug, or a cigarette. And that means alcohol can be considered in the risk assessment.

I would argue that alcohol consumption is the biggest risk differential in this election. We’re just blind to that risk because alcohol is socially acceptable. But even in your own life, you see alcohol being the force behind unwanted pregnancies, drunk driving, bar fights, domestic abuse, sexual abuse, and just about every bad decision you’ve ever made. If we humans were even a little bit objective we would never select a leader who is likely to be impaired by alcohol several hours per week, including the workday. (Allegedly.)

Here’s a quick summary of the other risks, organized by candidate. I’ll rank them from 1-10 with 10 being “drinks alcohol.”

Trump Risks

1. No political experience in office (4)

2. Might say something insulting to another leader (3)

3. Might go nuts for the first time in his 70-year life. (2)

4. Aggressive negotiating stance might cause trouble (5)

5. Might institute some racist/sexist/homophobic policies (0)

6. Doesn’t do his homework on the issues (3)

7. Health problems (5)

8. Budget deficit expands to deadly proportions (6)

9. Might cause a race war (3)

Clinton Risks

1. Perpetual scandals and investigations. (5)

2. Health problems for Hillary Clinton (7)

3. Health problems for Bill Clinton that become distractions. (7)

4. Scandals for Bill that distract (8)

5. Big donors to Clinton Foundation rely on wars to make money (9)

6. Clintons are relatively easy to blackmail. (8)

7. Budget deficit expands to deadly proportions (8)

8. Immigration policies are more likely to allow in terrorists (9)

9. Drinks alcohol (10)

I didn’t include Climate change in the risk assessment because neither candidate is likely to do much about it.

You can do your own risk assessment and play with the estimates. This is subjective stuff. My only point is that the consumption of alcohol is the biggest risk variable.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I'm waiting for the reasoning for this pointless death trap. The last time I remember someone declined an instant-skill on Modesty and Willy, it was because they wanted to do it in a more public setting for street cred and had only heard of Modesty and Willy by reputation, having never dealt with them directly before. This is the exact opposite of that. Is it just going to be personal grudge? You'd think international drug kingpins would be smarter than that.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Traditional Korean traditions coupled with how it's common for people in their twenties to still live with their parents in South Korea. Though I hear that's more common stateside these days.

Webtoon artist is actually a perfectly viable profession in South Korea. Major websites hire larger number of artists in aggregate and distribute through smart phones, so everyone's reading them on the subway or wherever. TV adaptations of popular webtoons are quite common, and overall it's probably the single field to get involved in as a creative person.

I have to provide this context because to the Americans who predominantly read this forum that probably sounds like a patently idiotic dream that could only appeal to to perverts, nerds, con artists, or a combination of all three. I'll never forget when I first started looking into Korean webcomics and was flabbergasted to learn that nearly every single one of them updates on a regular schedule with substantially more content and patently superior art compared to the usual hack on Patreon.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

WELCOME TO THE HOLLOWDOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWTE1Uj9Z8c

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm waiting for the reasoning for this pointless death trap. The last time I remember someone declined an instant-skill on Modesty and Willy, it was because they wanted to do it in a more public setting for street cred and had only heard of Modesty and Willy by reputation, having never dealt with them directly before. This is the exact opposite of that. Is it just going to be personal grudge? You'd think international drug kingpins would be smarter than that.

Modesty and Garvin are very well known in the underworld. This is all style points.

Just killing the two would probably get these guys sent huge baskets of thank you gifts, but if they kill them AND do it in a slow, painful way, well, that's just icing on top.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad Dilbert creator Scott Adams drilled this election down to its most important issue: drinking alcohol.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad Dilbert creator Scott Adams drilled this election down to its most important issue: drinking alcohol.

*All of CSPAM thunders into thread*

"Did somebody mention drinking during the election?!"

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 10, 1951)

Nancy (November 24, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 24, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 22, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 21, 1937)

Barney Google (August 23, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 22, 1933)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

quote:

5. Might institute some racist/sexist/homophobic policies (0)
It's shocking how self unaware people can be and still think they are 100% right.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I did not need to think about Phil Phumble masturbating to Fritzi's cosplay today.

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

I like Andertoons and grammar jokes but I admit I don't understand this one.

Endless Mike posted:

The biggest risk factor is something Trump doesn't do at all. How convenient!

F Minus

I love Carrillo's cats.

Mary Worth

Dawn has become an anime character, and Wilbur's looking a little wild-eyed.

Rex Morgan MD

Jordan looks a little like he got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to in that second panel.

Secret Agent X-9

This is an awful lot of trouble to go through for...some kid of formula?

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Today, Pibgorn treats Norm to an underwater dutch oven.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
:stare:

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Hey, Bud? Can you do us a favor?

Please never show a character front-on, ever again?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

These are great.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (October, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

Some women are ugly. HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (August, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set has many happy returns.

Working Daze is timely for once.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix appeals to the inner twelve-year-old in all of us.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix appeals to the inner twelve-year-old in all of us.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is timely for once.

So is the joke that she's in two places at once and the colorist didn't take any interest in coloring the hair the same or ?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tunicate posted:

So is the joke that she's in two places at once and the colorist didn't take any interest in coloring the hair the same or ?

I feel that no one should answer you, and that you should just re-read the single panel comic;.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Yeah, hanging around in a walk-in fridge with a woman in lingerie would feel strange for anyone.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I don't get it

is the teller just laughing at the guy for how poor he is

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

That Rookie from the 13th Squad

Ella Cinders

Myra North

Nervy Nat (click, bigger, etc.)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, hanging around in a walk-in fridge with a woman in lingerie would feel strange for anyone.

Comics have a proud tradition of women in refrigerators. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Simian_Prime posted:

Comics have a proud tradition of women in refrigerators. :v:

:eyepop:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets Bizarre Staging

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Also keep messing with the kid as much as possible."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Heathcliff

Office Hours

Reply All

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, I should inhale a perfecto!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

How about Powerhouse Women don't kick each other when they're down? No? Ok, then, I guess proceed with telling your friend how she's a failure to womankind.

quote:

ORMouseworks said, 2 days ago
I am having trouble understanding where GE is going with Bernice’s angst…it is so out of character for her. Hmmm…maybe he Likes this new twist of Bernice’s personality. Like she is going through a new life experience where She is the one who hasn’t a clue as to how to get where she’d like to go…this is usually Luann’s problem. =-O

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 2 days ago
“I Am Woman,”
“Hear Me BORE!”
“If You Don’t Like it,”
“There’s the DOOR!”
-Luann-

quote:

Roberta Pinn said, 2 days ago
Sure, sure…let’s see what sort of fuel burns in my powerhouse and what sort of a woman it produces. Smoky, hot, spicy, and a bit charred…crusty…dried out…ashen…

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 2 days ago
Everyone thinks Luann is becoming all “Powerhouse”-y, and stuff, and all it really boils down to, is Luann is trying to save face, now that Bernice has called out Luann’s “Hypo critical Oath”… Luann is backtracking and calling audibles on the fly, in an "Well…. Uh… This isn’t about me!… " sort of moment… In other words, a typical Luann moment of comic gold….
-
Sort of reminds me of the line in a Talking Heads song: “…(♪)We’ll make it up, as we go along….(♪)”

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 2 days ago
“The Law Of ‘Average People’ "
“What’s Good For The Goose, Isn’t Good For The Gander Who Wrote The Book”
“Sub-standard Bearers”
“Taking The Hypocritical Oath”
“Shifting The Goalpost, In Overtime”
“Baloney That Don’t Cut The Mustard”
“Kitty’s Got Clause”
“The Protection Racket”
“An Ill Fitting Vested Interest”
“Contra-dictionary”
“…And You Can Call Me Alibi” (♪)
“People In Glass Powerhouses Shouldn’t Throw Out Their Issues Of Rolling Stone”
“I Know You Are… But What Am I?”
Or….
“Clause And Effect”

Also, did you guys know that Luann has already been proposed to?
http://www.gocomics.com/luann/2009/09/26

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Hey Bern! Here comes Your Next Boyfriend, that Depressing One-Eyed Guy.
I would have suggested the “Caveman” but someone seems to have ripped off his right hand…

quote:

Brdshtt GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
May be something on the horizon. Bern is wearing a black long – sleeved shirt. Emo is wearing a black long – sleeved shirt. Bern is wearing the same scarf Emo is, just the color is different. If Bern had the beanie on like the one Emo is wearing, they would be a close match. Be even better if their scarves were the same color. They might very well make an interesting couple. I like Emo much better than that Piro chap.

quote:

luannfan1212 said, 1 day ago
It might be the other way around Emo with Luann and Jock with Bernice? Nope. It would have to be Luann with Jock, who is really a sensitive guy, and Emo, who is really an intellectual deep kind of guy, definitely different. Or not. It should be interesting. GOOO CUBBBIESS! Sorry, from Chicago.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@Brdshtt
“Perhaps they could be scarf-crossed lovers!”_____________________________________
Maybe. One thing for sure: Today’s strip is going to so INFURIATE the “She doesn’t need a Man in Her Life to Fulfill Her, Crowd,” They’re gonna be “Scarfing-Up” Breakfast!

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 23 hours ago
Well, in any game of chess, you have to wait for the pawns to come forward and make the first move. So…. Here come the ♟♙s….
-
Of course, there is the risk of ♜♘♝♛♕♝♘♜s coming in, and fouling things up….

quote:

“2 Wild And Crazy Guys!”
“A Bad Day For A Good Knight”
“Persons Of Interest”
“Here Comes Trouble”
“Kids At The Pawn Shop”
“Chekhov’s Gunning For Ya”
“Enter Stage, From Left Field”
“Expect The Unexpected”
“Hello… I Love You” (♬♪")
“The Doors Of Opportunity”
“What A Ko- winky -dink?!”
“Table Space…. The Final Frontier”
“Mint, Then Sprint”
“A Better Mousse-trap”
“The Invaders From Cologne”
“On The Perfumed Trail”
“Small World… Just Got Smaller”
“Opportuni-tease”
or
“Convenience In Store”

quote:

Of course, with Bernice, there’s the chance for ‘live ammunition’ to fly freely- so much so, it’ll be like trying to take Bunker Hill… at the steepest angle…. and with barbed wire… and sharks….. Everest and K2 would pale, in comparison…

fort knox

Flying McCoys

Shoe

Dustin

• Locked thread