Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm not talking about the SothisNerf, because fuckyougotmine, but just the mission payouts in general. FDev seem to be talking like its a bug now, but the across the board cuts to mission rewards would, in my mind, make the starting-experience much more grindy and pointless.

Less "oh wow I'm flying a ~spaceship~ OH NEAT I'm flying a better one" and more "so i average 15k per mission and need ~500k for a Cobra so I need to do ~35 missions (if I don't get blown up) and each mission takes ~15-30 minutes and...eh gently caress it. :pwn: "

I get what you are saying, and I agree. However, missions were only a money-maker starting around Horizons. Before that, missions where awful and paid crap. I think that missions do need to pay better, but I also think that there are plenty of ways for new players to make good money. REZ sites can make you a million in an hour in a starter sidewinder, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
A recent Obsidian Ant video mentioned that the nerfing of cargo missions across the board may be a bug, and may get fixed. So there's that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LostCosmonaut posted:

I want to buy a Type 9, fill the entire cargo space with missile racks, and poo poo thousands of seekers out the cargo hatch.

That sounds awesome which is exactly why we'll never see it, sadly.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I dip in to the game occasionally and mostly enjoy it when I do. I was one of the founder backers so I was able to start with a Cobra (and to see the awful groupthink inside the design decisions forum, in which I posted once or twice with suggestions along the lines of being friendly to new starters, which went down about as well as you might expect).

The grind to an Asp Explorer was painful and took about a month due to real life and limited play time. After that I actually enjoyed doing rares runs to build some capital until I could eventually do Robigo. That got me to around 100 mill, and all the time in the game since then has been spent pottering around making a mill or so here and there.

Currently running passenger missions in a beluga and checking out the new station art. I would say the game is fun in small doses, but would benefit from a much faster ramp up. But we all know that's not going to happen :(

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
I think what E:D reminds me of is Jay Wilson- Era Diablo 3: It's got good bones, but someone in the design team is insisting on tuning the entire thing WAY too tightly (2.2 engineer recipes are depressingly bland, for example). It's come a long way, but it's still got a ways to go (and possibly a dev shakeup) before it really lives up to it's potential.

That being said, it's still the only thing resembling the game I want to play, so I just enjoy it for what it is. For me, a lot of that was accepting that while it walks and quacks like an MMO, Elite just isn't it. The skinner box is rigged cheap in this game. So I kind of accept that my playing will come in bursts: hop in the python every now and again, or go fly around poking things with a Taipan, then take a break after it starts feeling grindy, because I know there isn't even the fake-mmo sense of achievement waiting. :shobon:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I've always just used E:D as a chill game to play when I get home from work, and that usually works out. They really could stand to make the game a little (a lot) less grindy, especially in the mid-to-late tier area.

I've never done smuggling before so I decided to try the thing Inacio's been posting about. I swapped out 8 tons of cargo capacity on my type 7 for a limpet controller and have just been letting them pick up all the gems for me. The drop point is 100 ly away from Maiki, but I think I'm getting the hang of getting my space truck into stations without being scanned. It's super neat!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

If you have a friend in the game who is a turbo nerd and doesnt care about fed rep you can have them carry a million credits worth of imperial slaves and then the two of you just jump from fed system to fed system, each jump you scan them then do a quick fuel scoop. Wait 24ish hours then use a kill warrant scanner on the smuggler man. Kill em and collect your 1 x ??? Millions. It used to be that the fine cap was infinite and you could rack up a multiple billion bounty in a few hours.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Once the gems dry up, I think I want to build a cheap tank that I can use as a fighter platform. Just for fighter funsies. If I heavily armor and shield a Keelback, and outfit it with turrets, should it be able to hold its own while I pilot a fighter at beacons or in resource zones?

edit: Speaking of gems, I highly recommend making the slightly longer trek to a non-saturated anarchy system to sell precious gems, just to avoid the potential inconvenience of scan-happy pigs.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYWlezRLE4

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Trustworthy posted:

Once the gems dry up, I think I want to build a cheap tank that I can use as a fighter platform. Just for fighter funsies. If I heavily armor and shield a Keelback, and outfit it with turrets, should it be able to hold its own while I pilot a fighter at beacons or in resource zones?

It's really gonna depend on the kinds and ranks of enemies you find there. The keelback got a buff but it's still only a beefed up trader. I wouldn't risk it.

You can, however, solo most things in an iFighter armed with plasma while your mothership does nothing - npcs will not aggro it first.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

NPCs won't aggro what? The fighter?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

How many corvettes with fighters do you need before you can sit afk forever in a conflict zone with no chance of death?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

NPCs won't aggro what? The fighter?

Sorry for being unclear. The mothership, if ordered to hold position or just follow you won't grab aggro from hostile npcs, leaving you free to kill stuff with your fighter.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Chrysophylax posted:

Sorry for being unclear. The mothership, if ordered to hold position or just follow you won't grab aggro from hostile npcs, leaving you free to kill stuff with your fighter.

Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, I basically just want my mothership to not get killed while I'm out playing Starbuck. If it can help out with the shooting, great, but if it's more survivable as a lazy lump, I'm cool with that too.

edit: Oh is it just me, or can you not order your mothership to Hold Position? That option's always red and unselectable for me. I can always tell fighters to Hold, but unless it's in combat, my mothership simply won't let go of my apron strings and loving sit still. It's been a real pain when I've wanted to fly around my mothership and take non-debug cam screenshots.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 2, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My competent co pilot is a better cutter combat pilot than I am. :-(

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

edit: Speaking of gems, I highly recommend making the slightly longer trek to a non-saturated anarchy system to sell precious gems, just to avoid the potential inconvenience of scan-happy pigs.

Any suggestions? Where are you selling, and how much are they paying?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Maybe not the best one, but this afternoon I found Caeresi, Anarchy system 54.6 LY from Maiki

69k/unit

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Herb Dington posted:

Maybe not the best one, but this afternoon I found Caeresi, Anarchy system 54.6 LY from Maiki

69k/unit

drat, I'm saving that for later, my best was 62k

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Inacio posted:

drat, I'm saving that for later, my best was 62k

I had 71k in Botaiti at de Kamp before I went to bed. It had dropped to 69k when I woke up. You have to run security there though.

e:

:getin:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I have embraced the zen of parking my mothership in a High RES and helping police murder criminals in a fighter.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have embraced the zen of parking my mothership in a High RES and helping police murder criminals in a fighter.

Which fighter and set up?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SpannerX posted:

Which fighter and set up?

Condor with Fixed Plasma or M/C's

Or if I'm in my Cutter, iFighter with Fixed Plasma.

"I have a hard time using the 'wrong' fighter with each ship type."
:goonsay:

edit: I do have the best NPC pilot though :buddy:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 3, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

it looks like she just got goatse'd or perhaps is reacting after you were hired to transport some sweaty space goons

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Fixed plasma best plasma tbh

It does surprise me to see that fighters have infinite ammo. I'm sure a lot of immersions were broken worldwide on account of that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

She's just smelling the inside of a goon spaceship that's never been washed. Ever. Possibly also previously used to haul raw space sewerage long distance.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I haven't played this game in a while.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Sanzuo posted:

I haven't played this game in a while.

I only went to that system for the first time a few days ago and I did a double take at the range to that station. ~250k ls is bad enough.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

This is also a nice place to get your unknown fragments in minutes instead of an hour.

Location is HIP 17862 6 C A

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chrysophylax posted:

This is also a nice place to get your unknown fragments in minutes instead of an hour.

Location is HIP 17862 6 C A

Is that the new crash site? Is that a smashed SRV in the foreground and is it part of the site, or just loving around in open?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Yeah it's the new one. The SRV is part of the site.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
For easy money the Naitis skimmer missions are still working, with a few exceptions. I've run them fri/sat/sun/mon this week so far, and am making about 30mill per run.

There's a YouTube vid somewhere explaining it, which I can dig out when I'm not on phone, but basically-

1) Naitis, okahana (name?) station pick up skimmer missions for next door system "cupcake" (I forget the real name)
2) once you've got 20 (by log out back in) fly to cupcake and hit the first base. Fly really low to ground to get them to appear (1-2m)
3) blow skimmers with missiles. Once all skimmers are down log out back in to respawn them (you can log out even with your fighter out and at 5m from ground)
4) check nav console, once the mission symbol (globe) disappears at the location you're at, move to the next one
5) rinse and repeat, return to Naitis once finished

Most missions now for me are 1.5m or higher.

Things to note-
- you might have to take less paying missions in the beginning to get your rep up
- one of the bases is a penal colony and will possibly destroy you. Choose a different base, the mission is based on killing skimmers from a faction not a base
- one of the bases gets a security ship. You can log out and back in to force it to respawn and change ship. I do all this in a keelback with a fighter, and normally just ignore the security ship (shoot skimmers, fly off, logout and back in)
- one bases skimmers will aggress you, which hilariously means the fighter defends you and wipes them out

mrchinchin25 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 3, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Alternatively there are a few systems in that 130 ly band around merope where you can go 100k ls from the star and then just cruise around. 90% of uss at that distance are the probe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
How are the fighters? I would have expected them to be kinda tinfoil suicide sleds against real ships, but actually it sounds like they might be good and fun?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My cutter can print 30 fighters.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

deadly_pudding posted:

How are the fighters? I would have expected them to be kinda tinfoil suicide sleds against real ships, but actually it sounds like they might be good and fun?

They are tiny, very maneuverable and fast. As long as you're close enough nothing can hit you.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

deadly_pudding posted:

I treat them as ordinance. They add extra firepower and act as a distraction. With a class 6 or higher fighter bay you can keep one deployed while the other re spawns.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mrchinchin25 posted:

Things to note-
- one of the bases is a penal colony and will possibly destroy you. Choose a different base, the mission is based on killing skimmers from a faction not a base

So uh.. Use a fighter. I've been doing Fed rep skimmer board scumming missions over in that other system that was found after the Sothis nerf and, using a fighter, I've had zero trouble at all. I've only lost 2 fighters over time, one to my own mistakes and one to forgetting to tell my Conda to stay put, so I had to switch back to it and scoot it out of harms way while my AI pilot took the fighter and flew to her death.

In a Taipan (I don't know if this stands for the other two) the base turrets cant hit you and the shields soak up missiles without going down with an even distribution of 3sys/3wep. You can take out the missile launchers themselves before worrying about the skimmers that pop up.

The turrets seem to shoot at a point above the fighter canopy and, because of this, never hit it unless you present your top or belly to them since, at that point, you are a much broader target. I've sat idle in a base with turrets actively firing on me and not taken any damage while I went and got a drink from the kitchen IRL.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

“Last time, they stopped us. This time, they will not. The powers-that-be must accept their fate, and pay the price for their misdeeds.”

“They will be taught a lesson in power – the power of the people.”

“If you are a true believer, be at the following location at 16.05 UTC on the 5th of November 3302.”

“Novas A 6, Novas system.”

Uh apparently there was an earlier CG about gathering explosives, and the guys grabbed it and disappeared and now here they are with a CG that just requires you to be there.

My guess is BIG EXPLOSIONS so I think I'll be there.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

LCL-Dead posted:

So uh.. Use a fighter. I've been doing Fed rep skimmer board scumming missions over in that other system that was found after the Sothis nerf and, using a fighter, I've had zero trouble at all. I've only lost 2 fighters over time, one to my own mistakes and one to forgetting to tell my Conda to stay put, so I had to switch back to it and scoot it out of harms way while my AI pilot took the fighter and flew to her death.

In a Taipan (I don't know if this stands for the other two) the base turrets cant hit you and the shields soak up missiles without going down with an even distribution of 3sys/3wep. You can take out the missile launchers themselves before worrying about the skimmers that pop up.

The turrets seem to shoot at a point above the fighter canopy and, because of this, never hit it unless you present your top or belly to them since, at that point, you are a much broader target. I've sat idle in a base with turrets actively firing on me and not taken any damage while I went and got a drink from the kitchen IRL.

Yeah I like being lazy and sitting above the skimmers in my spacewhale Keelback...slinging missiles.. sometimes I switch to the fighter tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mrchinchin25 posted:

Yeah I like being lazy and sitting above the skimmers in my spacewhale Keelback...slinging missiles.. sometimes I switch to the fighter tho

The fighters are so drat nimble.

I get a huge amount of satisfaction just slinging it around the bases and outposts at speed, pausing to target a skimmer every so often.

I leave the conda some 15km away at 5km altitude in an effort to sneak up on other people running the missions.

• Locked thread