Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

klockwerk posted:

As the video notes, allowing custom civs would address this issue (somewhat).

You can create custom ones through modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Maybe its because i dont try and break the game over my knee and am very much a casual player, but ive had a blast playing this so far

My only complaint is that barb camps are hard to see if they are not within field of view

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

If anyone reading this thread is a filthy euro that still doesn't have the game, you can get it for 20% off at Gamesplanet through this guy.

https://youtu.be/rmt09J7rHwE

I've watched a few of his videos so this popped up on YouTube. Referral links in the video description.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lalaland posted:

About 8 hours of civ 6 and I really wanted to like it. I never played civ 5 at launch so I can't compare them :v:

I'm about twenty hours in, finished my marathon game as Germany, got a religious victory and then went on to finish the space race victory to see if you can win multiple victory types in a single game (you can), and while I see a number of flaws and frustrations, I'm really looking forward to the next map I play.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Maybe its because i dont try and break the game over my knee and am very much a casual player, but ive had a blast playing this so far

I have a long list of issues with the game as of current but as I refuse to abuse the exploits in the game and haven't encountered any crashes in my few dozen hours of playing I'm really enjoying the game a lot.

I don't think anything is ever going to top to me the economic builder game of Civ IV in cottages/Slavery but districts to me are still very interesting and I like all the tension in the various elements of the game that is constantly making me re-evaluate the choices I made in past turns.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

My only complaint is that barb camps are hard to see if they are not within field of view

I wish it were a little easier to distinguish "you haven't looked at this part of the map recently" from "you've never seen this part of the map". Maybe if they used different shades of brown.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its funny to think that some people think that Skynet is just around the corner when we are still incapable of making an AI that's effective at a turn based strategy game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

prefect posted:

I wish it were a little easier to distinguish "you haven't looked at this part of the map recently" from "you've never seen this part of the map". Maybe if they used different shades of brown.

I'd really like a mod that makes the mini map easier to read. I don't really have a problem on the actual game map but seeing it on the minimap is all a mesh of confusion.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its funny to think that some people think that Skynet is just around the corner when we are still incapable of making an AI that's effective at a turn based strategy game

That just means the War Against the Machines will be really easy for us to win.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Civ is complex. We just made a computer that can beat people that are good at Go. IBM made a computer that could beat people at chess, decades ago. IBM also made a computer that can beat people at Jeopardy. Go, Chess and Jeopardy are all less complex games than Civ.

Basically about the time we can write an AI that will beat sperglords at a super spergy game as complex as Civ.. nobody would have manually driven a car for a long time.

Civ is complex, not half because it's often not very stable.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The White Dragon posted:

I'm about twenty hours in, finished my marathon game as Germany, got a religious victory and then went on to finish the space race victory to see if you can win multiple victory types in a single game (you can)

This is great news, I remember being disappointed the first time I tried this in Civ V.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKretin posted:

This is great news, I remember being disappointed the first time I tried this in Civ V.

See, here's the thing: this feature was already in Vanilla Civ 5. It was patched out like a year or two after release. Enjoy it while you can, I guess.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The barbarians start with more advanced technology than anyone else.

Maybe... maybe we're the barbarians :ohdear:

...Oh dear :ohdear:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have found them twice as easy to see on the strategy view of the map. Combat animations are faster and the map is easier to interpret in general.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Niwrad posted:

You can create custom ones through modding.

Yeah, but why isn't it the default option? I am picking RPGs as an example because they are the most mechanically complex games after 4Xs, and in most of those games, you don't select a pre-designed character from a pool. You create your own, allocate stats, pick abilities, and select their looks. This could be a thing in Civ too, select some mechanical bonuses, an ethnic theme for your units and cities, give it a name, and start playing.

Why should Civilization be more similar to Street Fighter than to Fallout?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Strategic view doesn't have the revolving beam of light of your lighthouses shining on all of your things, so it's unusable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Yeah, but why isn't it the default option? I am picking RPGs as an example because they are the most mechanically complex games after 4Xs, and in most of those games, you don't select a pre-designed character from a pool. You create your own, allocate stats, pick abilities, and select their looks. This could be a thing in Civ too, select some mechanical bonuses, an ethnic theme for your units and cities, give it a name, and start playing.

I can't imagine the part where "ethnic themes" are defined going without problem.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

They are already in the game, though, and they are given names. Just open any civ file.

e: I mean, you don't even need people to select the "polynesian skin color and architecture", just let them pick a skin tone from a swatch and scroll through a few pics depicting architecture.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tony Montana posted:

Civ is complex. We just made a computer that can beat people that are good at Go. IBM made a computer that could beat people at chess, decades ago. IBM also made a computer that can beat people at Jeopardy. Go, Chess and Jeopardy are all less complex games than Civ.

Basically about the time we can write an AI that will beat sperglords at a super spergy game as complex as Civ.. nobody would have manually driven a car for a long time.

I don't need an AI that will be so good that it will beat the best players, I just want an AI that seems at least familiar with the rules of the game it is playing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Strategic view doesn't have the revolving beam of light of your lighthouses shining on all of your things, so it's unusable.

My computer is crap so the regular view is equally unusable for me in that regard.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Taear posted:

There's a thread on Civfanatics talking about how over important your starting place is. I agree! It does seem too much of a difference that in some games I can found my city and make a war-cart in 8 turns and in others it's 12. In the early game those 4 turns are huge.

Interestingly 4 actually had this as well with founding a city on a Plains Hill or not, since that was (I want to say), the only resourceless tile that'd make your city tile 2/2/1 from the outset (instead of 2/1/1).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Launching a satellite reveals the whole map but also still leaves the lovely fog of war everywhere.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Decrepus posted:

I don't need an AI that will be so good that it will beat the best players, I just want an AI that seems at least familiar with the rules of the game it is playing.

yeah.

And I get that iit is pretty hard to make an effective AI for a game like Civ, but godam is like they arent even trying

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Chucat posted:

Interestingly 4 actually had this as well with founding a city on a Plains Hill or not, since that was (I want to say), the only resourceless tile that'd make your city tile 2/2/1 from the outset (instead of 2/1/1).

That is only a hammer worth of difference though, and while that adds up, Civ6 is so much worse at starting balance in addition to still having the plains hill issue. Most tiles are 2f/1p. But some starts hand you 5 yield tiles from the get go and like most 4X games, you snowball hard. Add that some civs are just much, much stronger and you can end up in silly situations like a runaway scythia with more horsemen than all the other civs have military units. That you can now start within border range of natural wonders is just another pile of poop scooped onto the poo poo sandwich that is starting balance.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the real start-maker for Civ 4 is wet corn

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Prav posted:

the real start-maker for Civ 4 is wet corn

The Civfanatics thread kind of covers that by bringing up that Civ 6 doesn't have anything like the slavery civic in Civ 4 to help with a production poor start.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Civ6: improved by the addition of slavery?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah.

And I get that iit is pretty hard to make an effective AI for a game like Civ, but godam is like they arent even trying

The AI shouldn't be able to do anything that isn't thoroughly described in the documentation. :D

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Civ6: improved by the addition of slavery?

Yeah, that's a bizarre thing to say, isn't it? But I think a a way of converting food to production really would help with people's complaints about things taking too long to build.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

hmm, wrong.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kassad posted:

Yeah, that's a bizarre thing to say, isn't it? But I think a a way of converting food to production really would help with people's complaints about things taking too long to build.

Civ VI already has a mechanic for helping production-poor cities out with trade routes. They can also be used for food.

With that said I'm a big fan of the Slavery mechanic from IV, an "active" form of economic management really helped to spice up filling buckets with points. It was probably a little bit overpowered though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can understand them not wanting there to be a slavery mechanic in Civ nowadays, or at least one that's any more explicit than the Aztecs turning defeated units into Builders and the like.

Also, since it was mentioned, an easy way to make custom civs, whether in-game or in an outside program, would be really cool, actually. Selecting bonuses and how to modify unique infrastructure and units and picking appearance options from a list and such for easy, if simple, custom empires would be fun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Even Master of Orion 1 had custom empires back in the day.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
But still on the AI, it is really worst than Civ 5 AI?

Because Civ 5 AI is so bad, even after the expansions

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Montana posted:

Sounds like complete bullshit Tony Montana.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Roland Jones posted:

I can understand them not wanting there to be a slavery mechanic in Civ nowadays, or at least one that's any more explicit than the Aztecs turning defeated units into Builders and the like.

Also, since it was mentioned, an easy way to make custom civs, whether in-game or in an outside program, would be really cool, actually. Selecting bonuses and how to modify unique infrastructure and units and picking appearance options from a list and such for easy, if simple, custom empires would be fun.

I always play marathon games on the biggest maps I can with all the victory conditions off because I play Civ games to play through them until I get bored and start over. I guess I play it more like a role playing game. Anyway now that we have super huge maps thanks to modders I'd kill for custom civs. Even just changing the names is enough, that we can't rename stuff from the get-go is bizarre and weird.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 2, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

Even Master of Orion 1 had custom empires back in the day.

No it didn't.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Someone make an Empire Earth thread.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

No it didn't.

Yes, it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I had an alliance with Rome and got declared on by a few AIs including Rome. Cool diplomacy.