Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hes not a monarch hes a dictator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Hes not a monarch hes a dictator

An emperor is by definition a monarch. A monarch can be a dictator and a dictator can be a monarch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

An emperor is by definition a monarch. A monarch can be a dictator and a dictator can be a monarch.

Well yeah an Emperor is a monarch but not in Star Wars.

Palpy is supposed to be space hitler.

He got his power by being granted emergency powers from the senate. Just like Hitler.

The Empire itself is a military fascist state akin to more a Roman/Imperial German/Nazi hybrid.

It manages everything through viceroyalties ala Rome.

Its military is very much a Prussian aristocratic elite officer system.

It is corporatist ala Imperial Ger and Nazi Ger.

It is a military state where the economy is mobilized to support the military

Its internal politics are dominated by oligarchs ala Rome.

It very much is a peak fascist state but to call the Emperor a monarch would imply a system that the Empire does not mirror

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homullus posted:

Shh! I am enjoying the tezzor who talks about the films rather than the people who love, hate, or make the films, don't spoil it. We can ride this wave of actual discussion all the way to Rogue One.

A multitude of tezzors is not a good thing; let there be one tezzor, one king.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

The visual design and imagery of the two major political factions of the OT alone makes it clear that it's a battle between autocratic totalitarianism and democratic self-determination. The Special Edition changes to the end of ROTJ drive this point home even further, so hard that it can't possibly be missed.

Can you say more about this? Because I don't see it. The heroes dress like peasants and workers, which is absolutely not the same thing as a democracy. Celebrating the overthrow of tyranny does not automagically make the replacement a democracy, you know? Especially when one of the Rebellion's leaders is a princess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I do think the word "medievalism" is more accurate in context.

The Republic as spoken of in the original trilogy, especially ANH, calls to mind the Roman Republic as much as anything else, which I wouldn't call democratic as we understand it. The term "Galactic Empire" is a quotation of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, consciously modeled on Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Even the opening title, "A long time ago," calls to mind archaic rather than modern societies.

It's a gross oversimplification to describe all premodern societies as being politically analogous, but in terms of their impact on contemporary nostalgics, medieval feudalism and pre-feudal antiquity can defensibly be treated interchangeably.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Well yeah an Emperor is a monarch but not in Star Wars.

Palpy is supposed to be space hitler.

He got his power by being granted emergency powers from the senate. Just like Hitler.

The Empire itself is a military fascist state akin to more a Roman/Imperial German/Nazi hybrid.

It manages everything through viceroyalties ala Rome.

Its military is very much a Prussian aristocratic elite officer system.

It is corporatist ala Imperial Ger and Nazi Ger.

It is a military state where the economy is mobilized to support the military

Its internal politics are dominated by oligarchs ala Rome.

It very much is a peak fascist state but to call the Emperor a monarch would imply a system that the Empire does not mirror

It doesn't matter if it's a fascist state. A fascist state can be monarchical if it is headed by a monarch. If it is an Empire headed by an Emperor, then it is by definition a monarchy. The Roman Empire was in fact a monarchy, even though its citizens and leaders would have been loath to admit it. So was the German Empire. The Third Reich could have been had Hitler ever declared himself a monarch. These are not controversial statements, these are historical facts based on the established definitions of words.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Republic as spoken of in the original trilogy, especially ANH, calls to mind the Roman Republic as much as anything else, which I wouldn't call democratic as we understand it. The term "Galactic Empire" is a quotation of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, consciously modeled on Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Even the opening title, "A long time ago," calls to mind archaic rather than modern societies.

The Roman Republic wasn't democratic as we understand it in a totally modern sense, sure, but I don't think that's really that relevant. It's a symbol of democracy in the abstract regardless of the historical realities of an institution which, of course, existed in ancient times--not the twenty-first century with its more advanced mores and norms. There's a reason why we use so much classical iconography in our own modern democratic institutions.

homullus posted:

Can you say more about this? Because I don't see it. The heroes dress like peasants and workers, which is absolutely not the same thing as a democracy. Celebrating the overthrow of tyranny does not automagically make the replacement a democracy, you know? Especially when one of the Rebellion's leaders is a princess.

What kind of government would a free association of humble, individualistic peasants, workers, and outcasts, described textually as freedom fighters, rising up against an authoritarian dictator, allied with the order of legendary warriors who defended the Republic of old, possibly be seeking to implement? A democratic one, obviously. Respectfully, to suggest anything otherwise than that borders on the intentionally obtuse.

There is simply no reasonable way to watch the films and come to the conclusion that Princess Leia, the senator, the self-sacrificing freedom fighter, the rebel, is seeking to overthrow the Emperor with the intention of replacing it with a monarchy with herself at the top. You could probably use that premise to get a wacky movie theory article published on Cracked.com, but that's about it.

You're also still ignoring the fact that the prequels exist, for some reason.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 1, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Emperor is not a monarch. He is just a dictator.

Was hitler a monarch because he was the emperor of the third reich?

The term emperor is just a title to describe ultimate centralized power

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Dictators almost never begin that way, its not really a term that describes a particular system of government. So a monarch can transition over time into being more of a dictator, the same as a President or an Emperor could. Hitler wasn't just declared ruler of Germany one day, he was appointed Chancellor and then he systematically eliminated his competition until it was just understood that his word was the last word. Many monarchs have operated that way as well, the specific term used is often just semantics.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 1, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

What kind of government would a free association of humble, individualistic peasants, workers, and outcasts, described textually as freedom fighters, rising up against an authoritarian dictator, allied with the order of legendary warriors who defended the Republic of old, possibly be seeking to implement? A democratic one, obviously. Respectfully, to suggest anything otherwise than that borders on the intentionally obtuse.

There is simply no reasonable way to watch the films and come to the conclusion that Princess Leia, the senator, the self-sacrificing freedom fighter, the rebel, is seeking to overthrow the Emperor with the intention of replacing it with a monarchy with herself at the top. You could probably use that premise to get a wacky movie theory article published on Cracked.com, but that's about it.

You're also still ignoring the fact that the prequels exist, for some reason.

At the risk of oversimplifying, look at the French Revolution. Look at the Iranian Revolution. And, taking into account the PT, given the weakness inherent in that system and the Jedi's blindness, why should we assume the Jedi want to restore what we saw in the PT? Even if they want to restore the Republic, why would we think they would want to go back to that, when the heroine herself acknowledges they were the bad guys?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Is this supposed to be a troll? Hitler wasn't the emperor of the Third Reich. He never declared himself emperor, nor did the Third Reich last long enough for him to unambiguously display any of the qualities of a de facto emperor.

The term emperor is actually a term used to describe a monarch in charge of an empire. That is what the word means. How are you even arguing this. Just look the word up.

The term dictator is a word used to describe a ruler who wields absolute power. A monarch can be a dictator. Though in that case they would generally be referred to as an absolute monarch, the differences between the two are so minimal both in practice and theory so as to be inconsequential.

In all reasonable senses of the terms, it makes equal sense to refer to the Emperor from Star Wars as either a dictator or a monarch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was analogizing in that The Emperor is a monarch in the same way Hitler was emperor of his self declared empire.

Hes just a fascist authoritarian with magic powers and a desire for absolute central rule

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Hes just a fascist authoritarian with magic powers and a desire for absolute central rule

But he can be all of that, and also a monarch.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I was analogizing in that The Emperor is a monarch in the same way Hitler was emperor of his self declared empire.

I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but the Emperor of Rome had that title along with like a bazillion other titles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_emperor#Titles_and_positions

They were Emperor and Consul and Imperator and Augustus and Pontifex Maximus

Sheev is both an Emperor and Chancellor and a monarch and a dictator all in one

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

There is the difference between what she herself wants (liberte, egalite, fraternite, etc.), the diverse beliefs of her followers (I hate the empire, she's royalty to me, etc.), and the values that are asserted to predominate in the society she would create (even elected officials with term limits and checks and balances are styled as monarchs). The motives of the rebellion, taken in aggregate, include revolutionary zeal, antiquarian nostalgia, naked avarice, and everything in between.

It is this antiquarian nostalgia that is most prominent in Episode 7, and it is presented critically insofar as it follows three films depicting unflatteringly the object of that nostalgia.

Rogue One will probably give us some fodder for this line of discussion.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

Rogue One will probably give us some fodder for this line of discussion.

It should be an interesting perspective—we haven't really seen the Rebellion's military take center stage before. It's been present but not really central to the narrative.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

At the risk of oversimplifying, look at the French Revolution. Look at the Iranian Revolution. And, taking into account the PT, given the weakness inherent in that system and the Jedi's blindness, why should we assume the Jedi want to restore what we saw in the PT? Even if they want to restore the Republic, why would we think they would want to go back to that, when ?

The French revolution resulted in the establishment of a democratic republic. That's the story being told by the OT. The French Republic was soon replaced by an empire, but that's a different story, one not told by the OT, but by the PT. There's absolutely nothing in the films to indicate that Princess Leia is an incipient despot. It's simply not part of the story. It could be part of the story of a sequel, but not the story as told by the original six movies.

The Iranian Revolution also resulted in the establishment of a republic of sorts, though an Islamic one because of the existence of an influential theocratic element within the ranks of the opposition movement. There's no such indication of any sort influential theocratic element within the ranks of the Star Wars rebels. Luke is a Jedi, and the Rebels by-and-large seem to believe in the Force, but there is no indication that he or anybody else wants to establish a theocratic government. Again, it could be part of the story of a sequel, but not the story as told by the original six movies.

The whole point of the PT is that democracy is superior to dictatorship even in spite of its inherent weaknesses, and that democracy only truly dies when the citizenry ceases to believe in it. The reason the Rebels (not the Jedi, since the Jedi are only one element of the Rebels, not the entirety of the Rebels) would want to restore what we saw in the PT is because it is a superior system to the Empire, where people are given a voice and conflicts can be resolved through compromise and negotiation rather than through brute force. The heroes of the OT have also learned from the mistakes of their parents: collectively, they have learned the value of cooperation, communication, and friendship with those who are different than them; the power of love over hate; and of the need to reject the temptation to abandon their spiritual principles for the sake of worldly concerns.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you claim that "the heroine herself acknowledges they were the bad guys." Leia never says any such thing. Are you referring to Padme? She's saying that the Republic has become the bad guys by virtue of the fact that they have given up on the values that define a democracy--essentially, that they are becoming the Empire. If you'll recall, the Rebels are trying to restore the Republic, not the Empire.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 1, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

There is the difference between what she herself wants (liberte, egalite, fraternite, etc.), the diverse beliefs of her followers (I hate the empire, she's royalty to me, etc.), and the values that are asserted to predominate in the society she would create (even elected officials with term limits and checks and balances are styled as monarchs). The motives of the rebellion, taken in aggregate, include revolutionary zeal, antiquarian nostalgia, naked avarice, and everything in between.

They involve revolutionary zeal and antiquarian nostalgia, but I see no evidence of naked avarice or anything else. And if you ask me, revolutionary zeal and antiquarian nostalgia makes for a pretty good, balanced mixture on which to found a government. That's how our government was founded after all, and for all its flaws, I like America. It could be better, but I think we have a relatively good framework that allows us to make necessary reforms within the system, eventually, without the need for a violent revolution.

quote:

It is this antiquarian nostalgia that is most prominent in Episode 7, and it is presented critically insofar as it follows three films depicting unflatteringly the object of that nostalgia.

I don't think Episode VII even consciously criticizes that element of the originals, let alone does it competently. I personally don't believe there's anything wrong with romanticizing those aspects of the past to a certain degree, as long as it's tempered with a healthy dose of modernism. I don't believe little girls who idolize Elsa are being brainwashed into having monarchist sympathies.

Episode VII is mostly just incoherent, because, as I've said, the dichotomy being presented is not between Leia as princess and Leia as senator, but between Leia as princess and Leia as general. That doesn't cogently communicate anything, and that's because it wasn't written as anything other than another nostalgia-based reference to the OT.

Truthfully, the complete opposite of your analysis is true. Episode VII alone among the seven movies is pathologically antiquarian, in that it uncritically romanticizes the past of the franchise without making any meaningful strides forward.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 1, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

The French revolution resulted in the establishment of a democratic republic. That's the story being told by the OT. The French Republic was soon replaced by an empire, but that's a different story, one not told by the OT, but by the PT. There's absolutely nothing in the films to indicate that Princess Leia is an incipient despot. It's simply not part of the story. It could be part of the story of a sequel, but not the story as told by the original six movies.

The Iranian Revolution also resulted in the establishment of a republic of sorts, though an Islamic one because of the existence of an influential theocratic element within the ranks of the opposition movement. There's no such indication of any sort influential theocratic element within the ranks of the Star Wars rebels. Luke is a Jedi, and the Rebels by-and-large seem to believe in the Force, but there is no indication that he or anybody else wants to establish a theocratic government. Again, it could be part of the story of a sequel, but not the story as told by the original six movies.

The whole point of the PT is that democracy is superior to dictatorship even in spite of its inherent weaknesses, and that democracy only truly dies when the citizenry ceases to believe in it. The reason the Rebels (not the Jedi, since the Jedi are only one element of the Rebels, not the entirety of the Rebels) would want to restore what we saw in the PT is because it is a superior system to the Empire, where people are given a voice and conflicts can be resolved through compromise and negotiation rather than through brute force. The heroes of the OT have also learned from the mistakes of their parents: collectively, they have learned the value of cooperation, communication, and friendship with those who are different than them; the power of love over hate; and of the need to reject the temptation to abandon their spiritual principles for the sake of worldly concerns.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you claim that "the heroine herself acknowledges they were the bad guys." Leia never says any such thing. Are you referring to Padme? She's saying that the Republic has become the bad guys by virtue of the fact that they have given up on the values that define a democracy--essentially, that they are becoming the Empire. If you'll recall, the Rebels are trying to restore the Republic, not the Empire.

What followed the French Revolution was not a democracy. A representative government, sure. Ditto Iran.

Padme gives away the whole story of the PT late in the game, with her "failure to listen" dialogue; the Separatists were right to leave. Nearly everything that goes wrong was a failure to listen: to one's feelings, to one's people, to the Force, to the truth. Obi-Wan catches on to the dark undercurrents at the beginning of TPM and is told to ignore it, and that is the beginning of the end of the Republic in our narrative. "Alliance to Restore the Republic" is an EU thing, I think; there is only the Rebellion, a coalition. That coalition's victory is what you see at the end of RotJ, not a universal mandate for galactic suffrage. Would they put a representative government in place? Maybe! Perhaps the right to self determination extends to not forcing worlds into a Republic at all? Maybe!

You don't need Leia to be a princess for the echoes of medievalism to resonate with the audience; a damsel in distress is sufficient, and swordmans probably overkill. Why is she is princess, if not to shade the pre-Empire galaxy as something other than pure democracy?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The funny thing is Palpy isn't Napoleon, but Napoleon III (aka Napoléon le petit according to VIctor Hugo).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

Is this supposed to be a troll? Hitler wasn't the emperor of the Third Reich. He never declared himself emperor, nor did the Third Reich last long enough for him to unambiguously display any of the qualities of a de facto emperor.

The term emperor is actually a term used to describe a monarch in charge of an empire. That is what the word means. How are you even arguing this. Just look the word up.

The term dictator is a word used to describe a ruler who wields absolute power. A monarch can be a dictator. Though in that case they would generally be referred to as an absolute monarch, the differences between the two are so minimal both in practice and theory so as to be inconsequential.

In all reasonable senses of the terms, it makes equal sense to refer to the Emperor from Star Wars as either a dictator or a monarch.

Actually emperor comes from the Latin imperator which literally meant "one who commands the armies", and was only one of many titles through which a Roman emperor derived his authority. Julius Caesar was called imperator not because he was the sole ruler of Rome (it was still nominally a republic during his time, and he was only one third of the triumvirate), but because he was the controller of most of the military might. Lots of other Roman generals were given the title after winning big battles, and it wasn't generally restricted to only being awarded solely to the autocrat of the Roman Empire until later, when Augustus officially made Rome an empire, though during his lifetime it was still occasionally given to some of his other family members.

Technically, in Star Wars, you could say Vader has more of a claim to being called 'imperator', since he's the one actually commanding the imperial army :haw:

It's also worth noting that 'fascism' was not originally a negative term, as one of the most famous fascist rulers of history was Cincinnatus, who was a farmer who was twice in his life handed absolute power to help solve a crisis and win a war, and both times afterwards, relinquished his power when it was no longer needed - so there is precedent for someone gaining power due to an emergency, then handing it back once done, provided they're not a Sith Lord.

A monarch, on the other hand, absolutely specifies a form of governance based on some form of hereditary inheritance, usually based upon some supposed specialness of the ruling family, such as a 'divine right' or blessing they purport to have. Palps did not inherit his powers, nor did he ever appear to nominate a successor or draft inheritance laws for a succession.

A dictatorship, on the other hand, perfectly sums up Sheev's government, as traditionally a dictatorship is formed specifically when one person is given absolute power by a emergency action of the government (a fascist is specifically a dictator; in fact the title given to Cincinnatus at the time was dictator; the term fascism is a 20th century term derived from the fasces) - this differentiates it somewhat from the more generic 'autocracy', which also refers to a government with absolute power invested in a single person, but without specific connotations as to how such power was bestowed like 'dictatorship' does.
:eng101:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of the better Star Wars fan films I've seen in quite some time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-n36MBs1A

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently, some Star Wars fans hate this quote by the cinematographer for the Han Solo movie (who also worked on Arrival and Selma) for some reason:

quote:

We're doing our own thing, that's why we're there. Phil and Chris are there to bring what they bring to their films, their very unique vision, their perspective on story and they asked me to come bring what I bring, and so just for that it won't feel like any of the other films. And nobody at Lucasfilm is asking us to betray that, they're saying 'We're in full support of what you do and we wanna make sure that we're able to help you do it in the best way.' It's gonna feel like a Star Wars film, but we're definitely gonna break some rules, and we're encouraged to do that. Visually, narratively that's a good mandate. They really are about, from what I've seen so far, supporting up and coming artists, artists who have a strong vision and voice and perspective, and they really wanna permeate the films with those kinds of voices. So it's interesting, very interesting. Not what I thought it would be, that's for sure. I'm pleasantly encouraged and pleasantly surprised.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Apparently, some Star Wars fans hate this quote by the cinematographer for the Han Solo movie (who also worked on Arrival and Selma) for some reason:
What on Earth could anybody find controversial in that quote?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Raxivace posted:

What on Earth could anybody find controversial in that quote?

The MSJ posted:

I wouldn't be surprised by certain fans if this is what caused the anger.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Equeen posted:

I wouldn't be surprised by certain fans if this is what caused the anger.
Ah, yeah, that could be it.

It wouldn't be without precedent either- see all of those racist idiots from last year that wanted to protest John Boyega being in TFA.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Ah, yeah, that could be it.

It wouldn't be without precedent either- see all of those racist idiots from last year that wanted to protest John Boyega being in TFA.

"White genocide", I believe the catchphrase was. Because having a black man in a starring role in a movie means that all the whites are literally being murdered en masse

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What does he even mean by break rules

Whar rules are there to break

Sounds like typical hype baiting

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd imagine the "rules" he refers to are what people typically expect of a Star Wars movie, of origin story films etc. The full article has him mentioning that he and the directors are wanting to be subversive with the film, among other things.

It sounds like they have ambition, which is exciting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

If they give some alternate explanation for why his pants have a red stripe, there's gonna be some canonrage.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i think it's more about they're going off-book on what sort of clockwipes they're using

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

"White genocide", I believe the catchphrase was. Because having a black man in a starring role in a movie means that all the whites are literally being murdered en masse

I'll be honest, I did notice it. Compare and contrast this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8

with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UG2EdU1LgM

In The Force Awakens, the number of white men taking part in the assault has been reduced to at least two, down from 100% in Star Wars. The assault on the Starkiller Base is led by a hispanic man, and the pilots include two aliens, an asian woman, a black man...

But the idea that this is anything less than an unambiguously good thing is ludicrous. Everyone should have someone they can project onto on screen during cool escapist parts in films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Come on now, you of all people should understand that there are rules, that's like your whole shtick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Racists are also pissed because the female actors rumored for the Han Solo movie have all been non-white: Tessa Thompson, Zoe Kravitz and Naomi Scott (half-Indian actress playing Pink Power Ranger the PR movie next year). Which means they are casting for the role of Sana:

They were only sort of married for a job together.

There's another reason some Star Wars fans are upset though:

Angry Star Wars Nerd in a comment section #1 posted:

So change and ruin everything we love about Star Wars. Until overtime it loses it's familiar soul and no longer feels like, Star Wars.

Angry Star Wars Nerd in a comment section #2 posted:

I hate EVERY sentence of that quote!

Could someone pleeeeeeeeeeease - for Yodas sake - explain to me, why in the world a movie that is telling the story of one of the main star wars charachters should differ from the star wars movies in ANY way? Narratively...? And to make things worse: visually?!?!?!?!

COME ON! Boys an Girls at Disney: there are surely a lot of projects within the company you can express your personal POV on filmmaking, storytelling, visual effects, charachter development and design and so on... all the artistically highfalutin stuff that you all seem to need so desperatly to feel like having added something valuable and to rant about in the making-of...

But a Han Solo movie should look, feel, sound like good old star wars. Like having paused the cantina scene and then rewinded hans and chewies timeline...

Ask the fans. There is AB-SO-LU-TE-LY NO ROOM AT ALL for any personal vanity or self fulfilment in this movie. Otherwise Chewie will rip your arms of, promise!

May the force be with you... and some reason.
Sincerely yours,
The Tinman

PS: Dear community: please shitstorm NOW!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For Yoda's sake

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

Racists are also pissed because the female actors rumored for the Han Solo movie have all been non-white: Tessa Thompson, Zoe Kravitz and Naomi Scott (half-Indian actress playing Pink Power Ranger the PR movie next year). Which means they are casting for the role of Sana:

They were only sort of married for a job together.

There's another reason some Star Wars fans are upset though:

"for Yodas sake" lmao

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For Yoda's Sake make that the new thread title

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Equeen posted:

"for Yodas sake" lmao

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What is there even to get mad about in that quote? "So far its been an amazing creative environment to work in." WHAT THE gently caress NOT MY STAR WARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I swear if a PoC plays the otter that Han Solo punches I quit this franchise, that otter was written as white!

• Locked thread