Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure you could win a lawsuit on that considering the Constitution is incredibly vague on SCOTUS in general. There's no mandated number of justices.

I mean, there is a mandated minimum of justices to fill quorum (6 IIRC), but there is no mandate that it has to be 9 on the bench. Someone who's so inclined and who has congressional support could do something silly and make the supreme court into a 25 justice institution. That would be stupid, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Sky Shadowing posted:

In bad news, an African-American church in Mississippi was burnt and spraypainted "VOTE TRUMP".

http://m.wdam.com/wdam/db_349800/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=2RAFSzYF

And in other news about "how hosed is this election", my first thought was "hmm maybe this is the thing we need to have African-Americans support Hillary like they did Obama."

I can't wait to see the GoFundMe campaign to rebuild this church from the GOP.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bushiz posted:

Smug VSP thinkpieces blaming trump on the rural white working class despite the fact his base is suburban poo poo heads who have failed their way into strata of middle management through a life of constant privilege that differs very little from that of the VSP writer.

Yeah the smug "hmm these stupid poors are so racist :smug:" from journalists working for papers that probably have a lot more to do with Trump's rise in popularity by giving him legitimacy and also downplaying racism in general is something I'm done hearing. Like when it came out that Tea Partiers were actually better educated than average and just total FYGM assholes that hated minorities.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

If the democrats don't take the senate, the GOP majority is going to get larger in 2018.

Sure. They still won't block all nominations as long as the nominee is arguably moderate-ish.

I want a Dem Senate majority so that :abuela: can jam liberals down their throat, but if we don't get there, Scalia's vacancy will still be filled by somebody before 2020.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His name is crazy hard to pronounce. I did campaign work for him this election and I had to keep a little phonetic transcription of how to pronounce it on my desk when I called people.

I kept wanting to say "SOH-cala" but its "So-COOL-a"

Chokes McGee posted:

That sounds awfully like he's making up the second pronunciation and telling everyone that's totally how it's pronounced

Nope. He's just probably ethnically Eastern European (Polish, maybe?) and kept the original pronunciation. The name means "falcon" or thereabouts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So is going if/when Rodham wins, is Comey going to be literally or only metaphorically slid a pistol with a single round loaded?

So who else here, can generally attest to the majority of their US political education/knowledge from coming from this thread? Whenever I get into political arguments I pretty much always have a ready counter argument from just remember the conversations that go on here, and I'm :canada:

Also, to all forrun' goons here, to what extent do you mainly/only pay attention to US politics instead of home politics?

For me, I've mentioned it before but even though I voted for NDP, I generally just trust Trudeau to do alright over some of the more important issues, like climate change to just assume everything is fine insofar as we alone can handle anything.

But the big reason though, is that the United States is just like the Blind Idiot God, Yog-soggoth, we're like a tiny island of humanity on the edge of a tendril that is our reality and if the United States collapses as a nation, if some Elder being "wakes up", then we're doomed. There's no economic policy we can do or implement as a nation with whatever tiny warning window we get to react to the collapse of the Post-War world order if the United States Dollar's status as a reserve currency of the US Navy's role as the protector of international maritime trade and so on.

It's scary but if the US were to elect Trump it's the same thing as a Lovecraftian horror waking up in terms of how much our current geopolitical reality will change and warp itself to accommodate it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Northjayhawk posted:

Sure. They still won't block all nominations as long as the nominee is arguably moderate-ish.

I want a Dem Senate majority so that :abuela: can jam liberals down their throat, but if we don't get there, Scalia's vacancy will still be filled by somebody before 2020.

LOL @ Moderate-ish. Maybe if she nominates Mike Lee they will let him through.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Comey is going to be found dead in his house of an apparent suicide with two bullets to the back of his head.

</dumb-conspiracy-theorist-screed>

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Northjayhawk posted:

Grassley is not going to refuse to hold hearings for the entire 4 years of Hillary's 1st term, and the GOP will not have 51 votes to block all nominations for the entire term.

The most they might do if they have the majority is block obvious liberals with a proven track record of progressive decisions.

Why not? Anyone who would vote against them because of SCOTUS appointments are already voting against them, and half the country literally think he is doing the Lords work by keeping baby murderers out of the open seat.

And Grassley is going to win his senate seat by a loving landslide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure you could win a lawsuit on that considering the Constitution is incredibly vague on SCOTUS in general. There's no mandated number of justices.

It's mandated that Congress can set the number of justices. Which they have, at 9.

If Congress wants to change that number, they can pass a law.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, there is a mandated minimum of justices to fill quorum (6 IIRC), but there is no mandate that it has to be 9 on the bench.

If we got that deep into a Constitutional crisis, who would stop the court from making rulings anyways? Seems like only the Supreme Court could say no.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think your arithmetic is a bit off there, chief.
Oops yeah, for some reason my brain was saying that McMullin winning Utah would make Hillary lose 6 EC votes

edit: fixed a dumb typo. wow my brain is shot today

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 2, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phone posted:

Comey is going to be found dead in his house of an apparent suicide with two bullets to the back of his head.

</dumb-conspiracy-theorist-screed>
10 years later they found out it was the Russians because Putin decided a former FBI director trying to join his gay orgy was a waste of time

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

A prayer to recite for the Arzyers:

Dear God,
Give me the strength to recognize the things I cannot control,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Feldegast42 posted:

Why not? Anyone who would vote against them because of SCOTUS appointments are already voting against them, and half the country literally think he is doing the Lords work by keeping baby murderers out of the open seat.

In theory, it could cause Dems to show up in midterms. Republicans don't win midterms because they have better ideas or anything, it's just Dems don't turn out for them. Give us a cudgel to beat them over the head with, and well, maybe we could get turnout up like we did in 2006 when we retook the House and Senate.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

climboutonalimb posted:

I can't wait to see the GoFundMe campaign to rebuild this church from the GOP.

I poo poo you not, deplorables are already screaming "FALSE FLAG!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
After HRC wins or takes office, Comey will definitely resign. I mean, he held a press conference to shame her because he couldn't throw her in jail. Even a crazy person knows that will poison the waters for any possible future working relationship.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Feldegast42 posted:

But even if Grassley wins, if dems take back the senate he'll loose the chairman position of the Judicial committee won't he? Doesn't Senate Majority Leader decide who the chair is for committees?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sky Shadowing posted:

ironic considering there was a false flag about BLM earlier this month

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In theory, it could cause Dems to show up in midterms. Republicans don't win midterms because they have better ideas or anything, it's just Dems don't turn out for them. Give us a cudgel to beat them over the head with, and well, maybe we could get turnout up like we did in 2006 when we retook the House and Senate.

The base didn't show up in 10 or 14 for Obama but they are going to show up for Hillary, who is less popular and for the SCOTUS even though there is no evidence that dems vote on the SCOTUS? I doubt it.

There is only one way to ensure base turnout in 2018. Trump winning this election.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

So is going if/when Rodham wins, is Comey going to be literally or only metaphorically slid a pistol with a single round loaded?

So who else here, can generally attest to the majority of their US political education/knowledge from coming from this thread? Whenever I get into political arguments I pretty much always have a ready counter argument from just remember the conversations that go on here, and I'm :canada:

Also, to all forrun' goons here, to what extent do you mainly/only pay attention to US politics instead of home politics?

For me, I've mentioned it before but even though I voted for NDP, I generally just trust Trudeau to do alright over some of the more important issues, like climate change to just assume everything is fine insofar as we alone can handle anything.

But the big reason though, is that the United States is just like the Blind Idiot God, Yog-soggoth, we're like a tiny island of humanity on the edge of a tendril that is our reality and if the United States collapses as a nation, if some Elder being "wakes up", then we're doomed. There's no economic policy we can do or implement as a nation with whatever tiny warning window we get to react to the collapse of the Post-War world order if the United States Dollar's status as a reserve currency of the US Navy's role as the protector of international maritime trade and so on.

It's scary but if the US were to elect Trump it's the same thing as a Lovecraftian horror waking up in terms of how much our current geopolitical reality will change and warp itself to accommodate it.

In order:

If Hillary wins, Comey is probably going to retire so that he can "spend more time with his family". There's no way in hell Hillary will allow him to be the director of the FBI on her watch.

I presume most of us are political nerds with a very thorough knowledge of American politics, and although we have our biases, we're probably more realistic than most forums if its bad news for our side. There's still a lot of good, sound reasons to believe that :abuela: has this, though congress is worrisome.

Finally, you are correct to be concerned. A Republican winning the white house is normally not the end of the world, but Trump is a loving literally insane maniac, and its stunning to know how many people are going to vote for him because of blind partisan political concerns. ("I want a conservative supreme court! I'm sure Trump won't do anything rash, he'll have smart advisors who will stop him from doing anything insane" *pulls GOP lever*)

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
The FBI twitter account thing could just be a bot programmed to tweet from a list of preloaded keyworded articles in response to social media trends. Some poor FBI archivist flicks the switch for the first time, the bot goes 'hey, Clinton and Trump are getting a lot of Twitter attention, lets see what I have available', then posts a bunch of stuff. Someone at the FBI sees all this, goes "Oh, gently caress!", then pulls the plug.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, I've been away in the liberal paradise of Maui for the past 10 days on my honeymoon.....what did I miss?

Anthony Weiner? :ughh:

Well I'm happy to be in the Trump-loving cesspool of Ohio again! :shepicide:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yup I'm from the Delta (but live in Jackson now) and every right winger I know from the area claims it was actually Hillary supporters.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

The base didn't show up in 10 or 14 for Obama but they are going to show up for Hillary, who is less popular and for the SCOTUS even though there is no evidence that dems vote on the SCOTUS? I doubt it.

In '10 and '14 we didn't have a unifying message for which House and Senate Dems could run on. It has little to do with "popularity" [also, again you seem to be unable to look at crosstabs or understand how they work]; but I also made a giant loving caveat of "in theory."

mcmagic posted:

There is only one way to ensure base turnout in 2018. Trump winning this election.

Why do you even post here. Like do you just like to hear the sound of your own voice?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not, that's what the Hatch Act is for.

The problem is you can't do much about it now until after the election. I'm seriously thinking Comey has decided to fall on his sword on behalf of someone. It may not be Trump per se but clearly someone anti-Clinton.

Russian spies in the FBI :tinfoil:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
if black voting stays low in FL and NC then i think we are well and truely screwed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much this. Unless the GOP makes gains this next Legislative term, their majority will be significantly weakened. They may hold the Senate, but they won't have the number of people nor the influence they used to.
Then they'll get it back in 2018. They only need to hold on for two years against a media that has shown itself more than willing to move on quickly from stories about the Senate not holding Supreme Court nominee hearings because they require constant novelty, and then it will be less than two years until the next presidential election, and shouldn't the people decide?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

But even if Grassley wins, if dems take back the senate he'll loose the chairman position of the Judicial committee won't he? Doesn't Senate Majority Leader decide who the chair is for committees?

We're talking about a hypothetical where the GOP keeps a slim senate majority. I am arguing that the GOP won't block all Hillary appointments for the full 4 years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cimber posted:

if black voting stays low in FL and NC then i think we are well and truely screwed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In '10 and '14 we didn't have a unifying message for which House and Senate Dems could run on. It has little to do with "popularity" [also, again you seem to be unable to look at crosstabs or understand how they work]; but I also made a giant loving caveat of "in theory."

Why do you even post here. Like do you just like to hear the sound of your own voice?

I don't see how the crosstabs make it likely that she will be able to get base voters out in 18.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Cimber posted:

Her consistent leads in FL and NC have all been built with that lower-turnout baked into them. Settle the gently caress down.

(Also she can win without either.)

(Also you're reading way too much into early voting.)

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 2, 2016

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, I've been away in the liberal paradise of Maui for the past 10 days on my honeymoon.....what did I miss?

Anthony Weiner? :ughh:

Well I'm happy to be in the Trump-loving cesspool of Ohio again! :shepicide:

Hey congrats, welcome back to our filthpuddle of a thread

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cimber posted:

See the above graphic. This is a weird election in that we really don't need florida or ohio or north carolina to win. Anything we get past the above map is just icing on the cake.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

I dunno, the Democratic position of "no segregation" from the 1960s seems to have widespread acceptance now.

Nope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8yiYCHMAlM

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

As a NH resident, why do all of these maps keep showing NH as a near guaranteed blue state? We aren't anywhere near that liberal unfortunately.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Cimber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2lCDQ8j9bE

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

(Also you're reading way too much into early voting.)

Everyone is reading WAY too much into early voting.

The overwhelming majority of votes are done on election day, calling states based on early voting is completely stupid.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Shortest Path posted:

As a NH resident, why do all of these maps keep showing NH as a near guaranteed blue state? We aren't anywhere near that liberal unfortunately.

polls http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/new-hampshire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

FALSE FLAGGGGGG

https://twitter.com/GrantMRodgers/status/793832954975793152

• Locked thread