Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

temple posted:

Stranger Things is scientifically designed to be a crit darling. Its like Friends for media obsessed nerds.

Oh no, this thing that was designed to be enjoyable to watch is enjoyable to watch. We've all been duped into enjoying something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Stranger Things is the opposite of Space Cop in every way. Incredible effort and calculation versus the incarnation of irony and laziness.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mordja posted:

If you're talking about the monster, it was actually made using mostly practical effects. :eng101:

yeah but the bad scenes were clearly cgi and stood out

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
these motherfuckers made something i enjoyed

loving assholes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

temple posted:

Stranger Things is scientifically designed to be a crit darling. Its like Friends for media obsessed nerds. These are the sitcoms of our generation.

Same with all the marvel Netflix shows tbh

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zzulu posted:

these motherfuckers made something i enjoyed

loving assholes

Not to mention that product placement. Now I'm going to have to loving go to the store and buy some Eggo waffles which are delicious. These loving people are making me go out and buy delicious junk food that I like eating.

gently caress!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Haven't watched Stranger Things yet, but the one Netflix show that's engineered to feel like a prestige drama despite being shallow and boring is House of Cards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel great sadness for you if product placement actually works on you

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Here's a tip, it's not actually "working" if you're aware of it, and I've not actually eaten an Eggo waffle in over 20 years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Heh, marketing doesn't work on this guy, no way no how!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Haven't watched Stranger Things yet, but the one Netflix show that's engineered to feel like a prestige drama despite being shallow and boring is House of Cards.

As a fan of the West Wing and someone who actually keeps up with politics (check the av), I can't stand that show because they don't give a gently caress about the politics.

A Democrat announces he's going to cut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid in favor of a jobs program? Get the gently caress out of here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

Here's a tip, it's not actually "working" if you're aware of it, and I've not actually eaten an Eggo waffle in over 20 years.

The general "you", not you specifically, King Vidiot. I'm sorry you haven't recently enjoyed the delicious fluffy taste of Eggo Waffles which now come in several flavors including my favorite, Hoppin Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

King Vidiot posted:

The purpose of product placement is to make people want to buy your poo poo, or at the very least be more aware of your poo poo. If seeing eggo waffles makes you go buy eggo waffles even though you're fully aware you want eggo waffles because you saw them on TV, how exactly did it not work?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

WampaLord posted:

As a fan of the West Wing and someone who actually keeps up with politics (check the av), I can't stand that show because they don't give a gently caress about the politics.

A Democrat announces he's going to cut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid in favor of a jobs program? Get the gently caress out of here.

I thought Kevin Spacy was a Republican in that show

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The general "you", not you specifically, King Vidiot. I'm sorry you haven't recently enjoyed the delicious fluffy taste of Eggo Waffles which now come in several flavors including my favorite, Hoppin Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Goddammit, now you've done it.

Infidel Castro posted:

The purpose of product placement is to make people want to buy your poo poo, or at the very least be more aware of your poo poo. If seeing eggo waffles makes you go buy eggo waffles even though you're fully aware you want eggo waffles because you saw them on TV, how exactly did it not work?

Because I didn't actually do that thing I said.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I thought Kevin Spacy was a Republican in that show

No, he's a Democrat. I think the writers thought they were being clever, or perhaps more "fair" or something, but it makes the politics of the show make no sense.

If he was a Republican, the America Works things makes perfect sense.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

WampaLord posted:

I think The West Wing also sucks but for different reasons. "The system works despite its problems!"

If I was a Red Letter Media wannabe with a YouTube channel (you know... the very guys mocked in the Episode 7 review), I definitely would attempt making some video essays explaining why both shows suck.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I think The West Wing also sucks but for different reasons. "The system works despite its problems!"

If I was a Red Letter Media wannabe with a YouTube channel (you know... the very guys mocked in the Episode 7 review), I definitely would attempt making some video essays explaining why both shows suck.

That's fair. I think The West Wing was a product of it's time. Remember it was being made during the Bush administration.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

E: loving double posts, I'm such a Josh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well if you're not stopped by crippling social anxiety or something, then just make the videos. What is there to lose? People upload the stupidest poo poo to YouTube all the time so your video won't be the worst thing on it, and in fact will probably gain a small audience.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

true rankings

stranger things: 3.5/5 jays

house of cards: 5/5 joshes this means it was not very good

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I mean you won't be able to use footAge from the shows due to draconian copyright takedown measures enforced by robots to n the interests of corporations but adding them in would be effort anyway, which YouTube rarely rewards

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Stranger Things was loving awesome, nerds.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Stranger Things is a show for old dying retards who miss the past.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Veskit posted:

Anyone who doesn't understand Stranger things was Pretty good is dumb as poo poo. This goes for both sides, especially the this was amazing side

Jaded side get it together holy poo poo

Ah yes, the truth is in the middle and strong opinions are for weak minds. :smug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

'member ET? Oooo, I member! 'member, 'member the Goonies? Oooo I member, member Star Wars Millenium Falcon? I 'member!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just got bored for an hour and a half and did a rough/clean photoshop sketch of Rich Evans's deadpan face.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

needs to be fatter

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

needs to be fatter

No kidding, that is unrecognizable as Rich Evans.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Fatter, thicker eyelids

He should look detestable.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Junior Jr. posted:

Just got bored for an hour and a half and did a rough/clean photoshop sketch of Rich Evans's deadpan face.

Did you mean to say Mike instead of Rich? Also, did you mean to say MSpaint instead of Photoshop?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

FrensaGeran posted:

Fatter, thicker eyelids

He should look detestable.

oh I thought they should squint more in the next one

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CJacobs posted:

You might not have noticed or cared about the product placement; but your brain did.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stranger Things is great unless you're a human being killjoy with a stick up his rear end dying to be counterculture.

Enjoy your stupid black scarf and overpriced coffee, you didn't-actually-read-Ulysses-rear end bitch nerd.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
One of the dying old retards in question.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Stranger Things is good the people that go around talking about how they aren't going to buy eggos are not

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay, revised my sketch, now he looks more fatter and his eyes are more dead inside. Might have overdone it though.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Junior Jr. posted:

Um I don't want to hurt your feelings but.... Have you ever actually seen rich Evans?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay, revised my sketch, now he looks more fatter and his eyes are more dead inside. Might have overdone it though.

Now make him balder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trunko posted:

Um I don't want to hurt your feelings but.... Have you ever actually seen rich Evans?

Yea the head should be almost as wide as it is tall.

• Locked thread