Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Orv posted:

Back the dick up, if you hit a pilot with the grapple it's a kill?

If you grapple them, you're dragged towards each other and when in range your pilot will auto-melee which is (once in melee) an assured hit. I BELIEVE the grappled pilot can shoot/kill you before melee is achieved but msot people are too shocked to get their poo poo together.

Especially fun is grappling a dude from behind, because (so far as I can tell) theres no indicator that you've been grappled and so you look like you're just moonwalking until someone's leg penetrates your rear.

e: I am for some reason very good at hitting these despite not trying for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Orv posted:

It's an automatic melee in the same way that grappling to your titan is an automatic embark.
It was also shown in the official multiplayer trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ISYN1AshZY&t=90s

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Orv posted:

It reels them in and then you kick them. Not an instant kill, but it's super disorienting when it happens to you.

http://i.imgur.com/SvaVFFx.gifv

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh my god this changes literally everything, who needs guns.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Orv posted:

Not mine, but you don't even have to hit them :allears:

https://gfycat.com/NegativeDisguisedFirebelliedtoad

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

keyframe posted:

In other news, apparently you can throw a gravity star on a nuclear ejecting titan to suck the pilot back in and have him blow up with the titan. It is my life's goal to capture a clip of this now, I will try today.

Holy poo poo! I know now what I must try and fail to do for the next few evenings!

I do really wish there was a build for melee only. I would love a tac knife thing that makes me run faster at the expense of having no gun.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Orv posted:

Oh my god this changes literally everything, who needs guns.

You do! :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God loving drat it, the game decided to erase a ton of my progress in the SP, I was at the the very end of the factory level where you go up top and some AI chick pits you against a million dudes and robbits and now I'm back at the beginning of the factory level.

:negative:

edit: That wasn't as big of a loss as I thought, since I was familiar with the level after getting through it before it didn't take too long to get to where I was!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 2, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Daztek posted:

Not mine, but you don't even have to hit them :allears:

https://gfycat.com/NegativeDisguisedFirebelliedtoad

Funnily enough, the cable of tthe grapple is actually physics based and interacts with the enviroment.

I.e. it'll bend around obstacles and this will affect the momentum applied to the pilot

If you watch that clip very slowly you can actually see that the enemy pilot crosses the path of the grapple cable and as a result the player is drawn towards the enemy pilot as opposed to where he originally aimed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dice roll made me realize you can only get 1 boost per Titan meter which is a big shame. Dice roll is still fun though and can result in some really strong boosts very early on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RatHat posted:

Dice roll made me realize you can only get 1 boost per Titan meter which is a big shame. Dice roll is still fun though and can result in some really strong boosts very early on.

Yeah, I initially misunderstood this as well and was like "Well Hard Cover sucks but you can potentially deploy it 5 times before your Titan drops, that's worth something"...

...then I found out about the 1 boost per drop, and I become convinced that poo poo like Holopilot Nova and Hard Cover are just the booby prizes for Dice Roll.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well, now I know who "G. Sager" is meant to be on the top of the gauntlet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8eOoO8w1_k&t=97s

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo! I know now what I must try and fail to do for the next few evenings!

I do really wish there was a build for melee only. I would love a tac knife thing that makes me run faster at the expense of having no gun.

It's so beautiful :allears:

https://gfycat.com/BareNeighboringKiwi

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

MrBond posted:

What's the preferred network for xbone goons?

As someone mentioned, we have a BOYS clan on Xbox under the name Boy Team Super Xtreme:

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/xbox/172/

Also add me and send me a message, I'll send you an invite if we have a group going. GT: Wazzit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

How is the player base in the PC version? Do I need to worry about it dying off soon?

EA has said recently that this is a longterm franchise and we probably won't get another until maybe like 3 years from now so it's probably gonna be around for the long haul.

I don't get the complaints about Hardpoint Capture. Usually I do most of the capture work while everyone else is convinced it's still deathmatch and that's fine with me. I just collect them and amp them while I can. Bounty Hunt is so much worse than Attrition though---the AI soldiers and robots are neutral as opposed to being bound to each team, meaning you have to do last hits for that poo poo. this is Titanfall not loving DOTA 2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

il serpente cosmico posted:

How is the player base in the PC version? Do I need to worry about it dying off soon?

I think once the hype from all of the new games releasing wears off, the player counts will settle.

As it is it's fluctuating a lot but I'd say it's fine right now, you won't have trouble finding a game at any rate.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
this seems like a long tail game, its not a giant cod style hit but itll stick around

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Given that all the planned DLC map packs and so on are going to be free, I think it's safe to assume that Titanfall 2 will have quite a tail on any platform.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
On the subject of DLCs, i would pay for more gauntlet courses

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Haha, that's awesome

I kind of want to get pro at using the gravity stars, they also do sweet stuff like bend projectiles. There was one time I was trying to kill another titan when I was in Tone but I couldn't hit them because there was a star nearby that was loving up all my shots

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was thinking how I missed the old rodeo mechanic (what's the point of the LMG now?), but then I realized they had to replace it with something. Everyone ran electric-smoke in Titanfall 1, there was no point in running anything else, especially after the patch that allowed AI titans to use it. So give everyone e-smoke in Titanfall 2, inspired choice right? But that means the old rodeo mechanic has to change cause EVERYONE has the counter now.

I'm okay with the battery mechanic now, makes things more frantic and encourages some teamwork. When I grab a battery and I don't have a Titan, I look for my nearest teammate and give them a donation of a fresh battery. :3:

scaterry posted:

On the subject of DLCs, i would pay for more gauntlet courses

Yes.

Also I'd pay for an IMC campaign.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People played Splatoon for a year plus and all they did was add a map every other month or so and that kept people into it. Splatoon had better matchmaking than TF2 but it was also added later there so there's hope for this yet in that regard

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there no way to report players?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

EA has said recently that this is a longterm franchise and we probably won't get another until maybe like 3 years from now so it's probably gonna be around for the long haul.

I don't get the complaints about Hardpoint Capture. Usually I do most of the capture work while everyone else is convinced it's still deathmatch and that's fine with me. I just collect them and amp them while I can. Bounty Hunt is so much worse than Attrition though---the AI soldiers and robots are neutral as opposed to being bound to each team, meaning you have to do last hits for that poo poo. this is Titanfall not loving DOTA 2.

Just as an aside, last hit doesn't matter as much as doing damage. Well for grunts who die in one hit sure but if your team does 90% of the damage to an AI Titan before someone steals it they only get like 150 bucks of the 600 possible. It's also why if you OHKO an AI with a Titanfall you get a severely reduced payout. The damage matters

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
What do the different factions do. I hear they are cosmetic but what exactly changes? Is there a point to leveling them all or is it better to stick with one?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

TheLightPurges posted:

What do the different factions do. I hear they are cosmetic but what exactly changes? Is there a point to leveling them all or is it better to stick with one?

as you level them they give you advocate gifts and merits and stuff like that.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Doesn't it change how grunts appear to you?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

TheLightPurges posted:

Changes the match announcer (i.e. Apex Predators get Blisk, Marauders get Sarah Briggs, etc), gives you advocate gifts and faction unique banners/patches/paintjobs (? on that last one)

Generally speaking if you wanna get the most merits possible you should swap around, as the XP per level goes up slowly, like everything else, but theres no real harm to sticking to one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

In Training posted:

Just as an aside, last hit doesn't matter as much as doing damage. Well for grunts who die in one hit sure but if your team does 90% of the damage to an AI Titan before someone steals it they only get like 150 bucks of the 600 possible. It's also why if you OHKO an AI with a Titanfall you get a severely reduced payout. The damage matters

O dang I didn't realize that, I'll have to stop crushing those. Thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemming posted:

O dang I didn't realize that, I'll have to stop crushing those. Thanks!

It's not the worst idea in some contexts though, like if they've got 3 Titans up swarming the bounty you can crush it so nobody gets anything

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW, I did the Northstar/Tether/Nuclear Eject on a bounty titan and had a fat stack of cash and a new Northstar primed before I hit the ground. Thanks for that, and the Ronin tips (he's a terror on dumbo Legion players who don't check their flanks occasionally)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Crushing titans with titanfall is so much fun I would do it for free!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

keyframe posted:

Crushing titans with titanfall is so much fun I would do it for free!

Blisk would be disappointed in you

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, even as a pilot you can get a pretty solid chunk of cash by pinging a bounty titan in the cockpit with any of your guns. Throw a DOT on them to get another stream too.

Generally I throw a firestar at them, pop the cockpit several times till the star is out then start rodeoing until the enemy starts closing in, then I drop my titan on it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Etrips posted:

Is there no way to report players?

Press Home when you have the scoreboard up, the navigate the menu with pgup/down and then end? on their username. It'll open the loving horribly laggy origin overlay so you can submit a report.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Fun ronin fact: you can start to nuclear eject while in phase dimension! :science:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo, just got the immensely loving neat gimmick in the campaign. I don't think that I've ever seen time traveling/teleporting done as well as this in an FPS before, it really does feel like the X-Men 2 opening if Nightcrawler had a loving shotgun and a bag full of satchel charges.

PLAY THE loving SINGLEPLAYER. :stwoon: :stwoon:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Ppl are abusing the gently caress out of map hack now. Real easy to tell when you're running into a stacked team too when they all run it and chain it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

Ppl are abusing the gently caress out of map hack now. Real easy to tell when you're running into a stacked team too when they all run it and chain it.

Even better, my group ran into three blatant wall hackers last night, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm starting to feel like the Devotion is the sniper rifle for people who are bad with sniper rifles (aka me).