Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The democrats have a better chance of taking back the Senate than winning the presidency according to 538 right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiohazrD posted:

Sure. They already do this when people were grabbing celeb names in the early days
Okay, fair. But I would be concerned about whether Twitter has the resources to do something like that, and what ends up not getting attention because they divert resources to it.

Cabbit posted:

Can't Twitter just, like, ban people at their own discretion for attempting to defraud people of their vote? Do they have to rules lawyer it? I'm sure their TOS must have some 'we can ban you at any time at our own discretion' clause to cover their rear end.
Twitter is in a weird position because of how their site is setup. Anyone can register, there's no real barrier to entry, and there's a massive amount of information being shared on the site. I get people's frustrations with Twitter being slow to respond to, for instance, harassment. It's a big flaw in the site. I just don't know that there's a clear-cut solution because I don't think Twitter has the resources necessary to respond properly, and something like "attempting to defraud people of their vote" is way more vague and complex to enforce than something like harassment.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

sheri posted:

I'm starting to think Trump is going to win and it terrifies me.

Any recent (post email) decent polling of MI, CO, PA, and NV that I can look at to help myself feel better (or worse).

I want to sleep the week away

https://twitter.com/JeffersonObama/status/793527485631598593

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sheri posted:

Any recent (post email) decent polling of MI, CO, PA, and NV that I can look at to help myself feel better (or worse).

nope. just hit yourself in the head with a hammer until you wake up next tuesday

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am very glad the election was not on Friday.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sheri posted:

hold on a second I think I can help you out

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

If he names a journalist like this and a crazy supporter murders the journalist, could he be charged with anything?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rscott posted:

The democrats have a better chance of taking back the Senate than winning the presidency according to 538 right now

That scared me--"Have Clinton's chances on 538 dropped that low?"--but instead it looked like the Democrats' Senate chances actually got a little better since I last checked.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

Two PA polls came out today showing Clinton with a 4-point lead.

No MI poll has ever showed Trump ahead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Apparently Obama has been trying to pass a law called the Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation act for a while.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Even Fox has Clinton at +5.

A side note, every time I try to type out Clinton I accidentally type out Clingon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A lovely Reporter posted:

Dude, Twitter isn't some sort of lawyer robot.
This is correct, and they do not have a lawyer robot. It's really difficult for Twitter even to enforce clear-cut violations of their TOS, and the company is basically hemorrhaging money as it is. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to handle something as complicated as loosely-organized dishonesty.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

If he names a journalist like this and a crazy supporter murders the journalist, could he be charged with anything?

Not unless he calls for her to be harmed.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

My eyes habitually roll whenever I read about Assange or Wikileaks at this point. Have they completely given up the guise of objectivity yet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sheri posted:

https://twitter.com/b_schaffner/status/793852628857942016

If you build a map based on all of Clinton's absolute worst polls, she still wins, at least as of right now.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, fair. But I would be concerned about whether Twitter has the resources to do something like that, and what ends up not getting attention because they divert resources to it.

What resources? Someone saw those tweets, reported it, and they said "no that's totally cool". This has nothing to do with hiring more moderators/staff or whatever. Someone in the community did the work for them and they gave it a pass.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

yeah people will likely still be in line to vote at 11pm eastern in florida, as happened in 2012

People were still in line at 1 AM in 2012 in Miami-Dade.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Rabble posted:

A side note, every time I try to type out Clinton I accidentally type out Clingon.

Uhhhhh...what did the ABC poll do??

Edit: the only poll showing a T lead in a sea of Clinton leads

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Rabble posted:

It is a good day to vote Democrat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Here you go buddy in one convenient single easily quotable post

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

M_Gargantua posted:

Do phone banks regularly call cell phones? I've never gotten a poll or survey and no one I know has either, and we're all cell phone only sorts.

Yes. Either you are fortunate/smart enough to have never put your cell phone number on voter registration information/other political forms, must have received a new number at some point, or don't vote much in the past. I'm guessing the first choice.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Real Republican = winner.
Barrack Obama = The best Republican.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

BiohazrD posted:

What resources? Someone saw those tweets, reported it, and they said "no that's totally cool". This has nothing to do with hiring more moderators/staff or whatever. Someone in the community did the work for them and they gave it a pass.

That doesn't really count, if you've ever been a CRM you would know that you have to sift through thousands of bogus reports to get to anything "important" or "good"

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

and something like "attempting to defraud people of their vote" is way more vague and complex to enforce than something like harassment.

Besides, how do you parse the people knowingly disseminating this stuff from the useful idiots who pick it up and retweet it without thinking? I can see banning those who attempt this stuff with malice and forethought, but punishing the ignorant seems like overkill.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WampaLord posted:

A pollster in C-SPAM said their response rate was 1%. They have to call 100 people to get 1 response.
At this point, people in swing states could be getting several calls a day. They are probably lucky to hit 1%.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Isn't Trump supposed to maintain he has no connection with Wikileaks? Why is he going out and talking about their release schedule like he has some insider info.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

rscott posted:

You had me freaked out for a moment like that other poster, but - the scenario of a Trump WH and a Dem senate is completely pants-on-head. I realize the models don't talk to each other, I guess some of the outlier polls and generally weird results are throwing everything off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spacebump posted:

Trump is a despicable piece of poo poo but I'm sure Katy Tur isn't all that upset about this. She's made her career covering him. I'm sure she's gonna end up on the Today show or something. Which is good since she's good at her job.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Covok posted:

Are people really that wishy-washy?

Part of it is that on Friday, Republicans were excited to answer polls and Democrats didn't want to.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

So all of the 'murricans supporting Trump literally do not care that he's being fed intel by a foreign actor? And that the foreign actor is controlled by Putin?

What in the everloving gently caress is wrong with these people?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Rabble posted:

FYI, Fox doesn't do the poll, they just commission it from a reputable pollster. There's no bias in there other than regular poll leanings.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Twitter is in a weird position because of how their site is setup. Anyone can register, there's no real barrier to entry, and there's a massive amount of information being shared on the site. I get people's frustrations with Twitter being slow to respond to, for instance, harassment. It's a big flaw in the site. I just don't know that there's a clear-cut solution because I don't think Twitter has the resources necessary to respond properly, and something like "attempting to defraud people of their vote" is way more vague and complex to enforce than something like harassment.

The problem is that Twitter quite often doesn't do anything about not just grey-area cases but straight up rape and death threats.

I'm sure given the number of reports going through every day and the number of users out there, it's hard to keep up, but Twitter very rarely responds to any harassment, ever. Milo only got the axe because he was gleefully and publicly leading a concentrated campaign.

I know several people who have reported rape threats to Twitter and the police: Twitter would say it didn't violate guidelines, and the police would say "What's Twitter?"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

comingafteryouall posted:

Gotta agree with that Independence Day reference, but to make it more SA suitable:

We're in the part of the anime final battle where the villain has revealed their final form and blasted the hero. But then the hero staggers back up and says something like "I'll never let you win!" and gains power from all their friends, letting them use one final attack that barely defeats the villain (or maybe just blasts them to pieces? who knows). Then they wake up like three weeks later.

or to use an overwatch analogy:

Trump's team has been holding the control point when Hillary's team was defending and about to run out the clock, and Trump's team all got wiped and and the overtime is quickly burning down, and in comes Comey as Mercy to pull a last second "Heroes never die!" and turn the match around. Only it turns out that none of the people on Trump's team were paying attention and died again almost right afterwards.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is correct, and they do not have a lawyer robot. It's really difficult for Twitter even to enforce clear-cut violations of their TOS, and the company is basically hemorrhaging money as it is. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to handle something as complicated as loosely-organized dishonesty.
The irony, of course, is that this lack of enforcement is part of why they are hemorrhaging money and can't find a buyer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

comingafteryouall posted:

Isn't Trump supposed to maintain he has no connection with Wikileaks? Why is he going out and talking about their release schedule like he has some insider info.

Because anyone who cares is already not voting for him. Anyone who votes Republican this year is someone who would vote Republican any year, no matter what. Those left are the true base, the lowest common denominator.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cthulhumatic posted:

So all of the 'murricans supporting Trump literally do not care that he's being fed intel by a foreign actor? And that the foreign actor is controlled by Putin?

They don't believe that Wikileaks is in the tank for Putin. They just think it's Clinton making excuses. It sorta sidesteps the whole question, really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cthulhumatic posted:

They believe Putin is a better leader. I'm not joking, they want a strongman as a leader, not someone who is willing to work together and compromise.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Cthulhumatic posted:

It's simple.

Does it help avoid a Dem president?

Yes: good
No: evil

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cthulhumatic posted:

The FBI assures me there are no connections between Trump and Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The problem with Twitter being neutral is that we live in the post-modern era in which there is no longer a mutually agreed upon concept of fact or reality. Reality has become political. You cannot stay neutral and claim all perspectives are equally reasonable. You have to firmly cull the herd and guide discourse towards its most reasonable outcome.

the marketplace of ideas, just like the actual marketplace, still requires regulators. Without them, the same issues arise.

• Locked thread