Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chili posted:

Gonna start a new weekly tradition:

Butterscotch Caption Contest: Week 1

Go!

"No Mr. Chili. I expect you to die...or let me sleep on your laptop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"No Mr. Chili. I expect you to die...or let me sleep on your laptop."

Good one, but in this photograph, he's on my belly.

I will take a picture of Butterscotch clutching a note of congratulations to the winner. I've seen some good ones so far! Future weeks will include more action but a standalone stare needed to come first.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

"I'm a meme?"

Just so you know, I introduced a house party full of people to the Butterscotch goodness. They all love him. Butterscotch is a universal language.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Chili posted:

Gonna start a new weekly tradition:

Butterscotch Caption Contest: Week 1

Go!

":sterv:"

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
First, I'm pleased to announce the winner of the first caption contest. For a holiday appropriate, and clever caption, congratulations to...

Gorgar!

Also, bittersweet day here. Anna and Elsa were such good eaters that they made weight and are ready for adoption. We only got to spend about two weeks with them, which is on the low end for us. But they did great, and I put a notice on their form to try and keep them together. I don't typically ask for that, but these two were pretty seriously bonded.

Anyway, we weren't going to take in any new fosters because we're going on vacation at the end of the month, but there were a lot of cats that needed some short term relief so....

This sleepy fella is named Dennis. He's 4 and is the most gentle little guy I've seen so far. Poor thing has been stressed at the shelter and was so anxious that adopting him out was looking to be impossible. When that happens they often try to get the animals out of the building for some respite.

From the looks of it, that's exactly what this little guy needs. He immediately went under the bookshelf and just fell asleep. Despite that, I can walk right up to him, and give him head rubbins and he purrs like crazy. Dennis is a good boy, and most importantly, it looks like he dipped his mouth in sherbert.

I'll head back in soon to check on him. There's not much to see right now, but our foster room stream is live: http://ustre.am/Yktz

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I'll head back in soon to check on him. There's not much to see right now, but our foster room stream is live: http://ustre.am/Yktz

Awwwwwwwww but you can see him snoozin' under the bookcase. Precious little duder.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

He's still there with his paws up under his chin. :3: Sweet boy just wanted a nice comfy, secure place to relax and take a long nap.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Safari Disco Lion posted:

He's still there with his paws up under his chin. :3: Sweet boy just wanted a nice comfy, secure place to relax and take a long nap.

Yeah. I'm really happy that he felt that safe and able to relax. The whole car ride over he was meowing his face off and was super stressed. So seeing him doze off makes me really happy. I'm gonna go give him some head rubbins now if anyone is around, he may come out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I can see the poor little poopoohead under the bookcase but cannot pet him through the internet. :argh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I like how he accepted the head rubbins, but wanted nothing to do with the food, just more naps.

Yet he still opens one eye and looks at the food every now and again.

Wanna reach through the internet and pet the kitty.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Hm, all I'm seeing is a black box and the Xsplit logo. I can hear things, though. Did you break it?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Uch, no. It's really janky. I can't minimize the window or xsplit is all "WHERE DID IT GO?!"

Fixed it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
He emerges! :toot:

Dat purrrrr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq7k2blW0h4

Chili fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 2, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What a good kitty. Smile for Chilicam!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Dennis is precious and I love him.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Radio! posted:

Dennis is precious and I love him.

Well he needs a home!

Seriously though, I've said it before but it bears repeating. If anyone ever wants to meet/adopt any of the fosters that come through our house, please feel free to let me know. We're in the Baltimore, MD area.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Dennis is mobile and looking good. He definitely looks like he needed some space to relax. He looks happy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I appreciate not only this cat but also the confirmation that I'm not the only person who's compelled to checkerboard a solved Rubik's Cube. :3:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aww, thanks Butters! It's been a really crap day so far because of work. This makes everything better. There were a bunch of good entries, and I hope you continue to run the contest. It's always good to have more Butterscotch.

Sorry to hear there won't be any more Anna and Elsa, hope they get adopted together.

I just saw you feeding and petting Dennis. He's a good kitty. Looked very happy about food. I predict a quick turnaround for him.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dennis is up and playing right now. :kimchi:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Does Butterscotch like belly rubs? I feel like I would be unable to resist petting that big buttery tum.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Chili posted:

Well he needs a home!

Seriously though, I've said it before but it bears repeating. If anyone ever wants to meet/adopt any of the fosters that come through our house, please feel free to let me know. We're in the Baltimore, MD area.

I'm like 3-4 hours away in Virginia. I wish I could have a cat, he is adorable and I would love him. A fine creamsicle specimen, much like Butterscotch!

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
One of my friends found a feral cat colony in our neighborhood, or rather some of the kittens found her. Apparently there was an older guy who was feeding stray cats on his porch and when he ended up in a nursing home, all his strays went unfed, kittens got abandoned by their already pregnant again mothers. It was a mess. There were 4 litters of kittens born within the span of a month as far as the vet could tell after all the kittens were rounded up and taken in for care. My friend ended up being the drop off point for the kittens and cats in the colony. All the neighbors started just bringing them to her, but happily it's working out pretty well. We think they've all been rounded up and homed.

I ended up with one of the rejection kittens at 5 weeks old. Little guy is convinced that I am the source of all love and food and fun. I never wanted a black cat because they're so hard to see at night, but how could I resist. When I got him, he would meow loudly and pitifully any time he wasn't being actively snuggled. When I first got him, I had him on formula/canned kitten food combo but I seriously could not stand the disgusting farts. OMG. And he had horrible cat breath and his butt smelled all the time (which he ever so helpfully got as near to my face as he possibly could at all opportunities). I've transitioned over to raw and he no longer smells. He's also a huge fan of the diet change. Kitten loves his organ meats!

I present Schnoozl:

edit:

Schnoozl is now 9 weeks old and is an absolute terror (which is great and healthy for his age)

Our resident old lady cat, Gypsy is finally cool with him too

Haji fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 3, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It looks like your black cat has helpfully come with white spots for easier...spotting. :haw:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Congratulations on your little smelly black kitty. Night time bathroom trips will be fun when he decides sleeping in the hallway is a great idea.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Happily he sleeps on me or against me at night, so I mostly avoid tripping on him. I got him only a few days after dislocating my kneecap though, so he is super dangerous when he's on the ground and on the move. He still has not learned about people feet at all. He loves winding around ankles. He is easier to spot now that he's old enough to be in constant attack mode. If he's trying to kill my legs, at least I know where he is.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Welcome to the club of having black and white cats that weren't in the plan but could not be resisted. Turned out great in my case, sounds like it will for you too. Mine often doesn't sleep with me at night, but he's nearly guaranteed to help with any sort of nap during the day or evening.

Go previously neglected tuxedo cats.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Panda the tuxedo cat-loaf agrees!

It's not just the dark where they're an issue though. In bright lights, half of tuxedo cats can disappear!

Fortunately, they can reach out and let you know they should be rescued ASAP.

(seriously this cat went unadopted at a rescue for a YEAR despite being the loving coolest cat on the planet)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Panda is a great name for a tuxedo cat. I like nicknaming cats after other animals.

I'm not a cat fosterer, but my tuxedo cat was fostered for a while. He and his sister were rescued from hoarders, and he in particular had stopped eating and nearly didn't make it. When I met him at the shelter, he wanted to be petted forever, but I wasn't able to bring him home right away, and he forgot me by the time they dropped him off and just let him out into the house without any plan. He hid for weeks, came out slowly, ran from any unexpected sound, etc.

Now, he's a healthy 16 pounds of big fluffy cat, mostly unflappable and affectionate. I call him a pony kitty because if I've been gone, when I get back he'll rear up at about 45 degrees for head pettings, and (with imagination) he kind of looks like a little horse when he does this.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Yeah. Black cats will sit forever in shelters waiting to be rescued. The entire colony that my friend broke up, got spayed/neutered and adopted out are all black cats or black & white cats. She still has 3 of the kittens and was only intending on keeping 2 of them. Not sure what's up with the 3rd kitten. She's super skittish and hissy even though she was found and brought in when she was only 4 weeks. I would be totally willing to take a 2nd kitten, just so Schnoozl has someone to wrestle and play with but I don't want the hissy kitten and I'm not going to take one of the two kittens that she actually wanted to keep. That would be a total bitch move.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
That's one reason I decided to get Emily when I met her and her two brothers (having trouble choosing between the two brothers is how I ended up with all three). I guess she's technically a Tortie, but she's nearly all black, except for speckles of white and orange here and there and a few light-colored toes:

(pic with the toes in question)

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 4, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A stealth tortie! :neckbeard:

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Yes, she has about three and a half pink toes and I love them. She doesn't appreciate when I tickle them, however.

And she is stealth. She's a freaking ninja, sneaking up on me all the time. I've stepped on her foot a couple of times, and I feel so bad. But she's forgiven me so far.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

A question for the experienced cat fosters: my niece has a cold/respiratory infection. My sister is insisting that she gets nowhere near the kittens because "they might catch it". The kittens are about 4 weeks old and in pretty good health, precocious little Thor has already taken to preferring wet food/stage 2 kmr mixture. Is my sister overreacting or is it reasonable to insist my niece not play with the kittens even if they approach her?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

taiyoko posted:

A question for the experienced cat fosters: my niece has a cold/respiratory infection. My sister is insisting that she gets nowhere near the kittens because "they might catch it". The kittens are about 4 weeks old and in pretty good health, precocious little Thor has already taken to preferring wet food/stage 2 kmr mixture. Is my sister overreacting or is it reasonable to insist my niece not play with the kittens even if they approach her?

Overreacting. The cold virus can't be transmitted to cats, their cells don't have the same protein receptors as humans so the virus literally has no way to bind to their cells and infect them. Pretty much the only virus that can go back and forth between cats/dogs and humans is rabies.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^From everything I've read (I am not a vet), you cannot pass a human cold onto a cat (although there seem to be some people who believe otherwise). Zoonotic diseases like toxoplasmosis can be transferred from cats to people, but human rhinovirus is not transmittable to cats.

So we can catch some diseases from cats, but it borders on impossible for your cat to become sick from your cold, unless it's not actually a cold. You can give diseases to cats, but they are pretty rare-H1N1 was recorded in a cat, in ONE case, for example.

Your sister and her daughter shouldn't have anything to worry about, but your niece should still be washing her hands before/after play (as kittens often have feces on their lil' butts) but that is more for her sake than the cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sunday is here! Butterscotch caption contest time:

Quote the picture and include the caption, weehoo!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chili posted:

"Oh... trash pickup was yesterday..."

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Caption submission: "if you take the trash bag out I figure you could store enough food and treats to last me at least a day, maybe two".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chili posted:

"W-why is the treat bag in here? Are there no more treats?"