Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Haha nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spoeank posted:

Boogie Cousins fouls by quarter tonight

1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: 6

:eyepop:

And #6 was a megaquestionable offensive foul on a made basket when the game was almost over. And the Kings lost in OT.

Didn't Whiteside go into the fourth with five fouls but didn't foul out, as well?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Pistons have won three straight against bad teams and have two more on their schedule before they play another good one. Everyone seems to be contributing and Ish + Beno keep things afloat much more easily than the horrors of Steve Blake and Spencer Dinwiddie. They may shrug off Jackson's injury after all.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gynecolojustice posted:

its tough with hairy thighs :(

this from a while ago but if you aint down with the magnum look you are legit trash

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Pistons have won three straight against bad teams and have two more on their schedule before they play another good one. Everyone seems to be contributing and Ish + Beno keep things afloat much more easily than the horrors of Steve Blake and Spencer Dinwiddie. They may shrug off Jackson's injury after all.

Toby Harris is having himself a very nice start

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Toby Harris is having himself a very nice start

As is our secret best player Marcus Morris.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Yep he's a Perfect Piston. Toby's got a freakin 69% true shooting going with his 22 ppg though and that's pretty incredible and he looks fantastic beasting with the second unit

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Rick posted:

I don't know if we'll go back to post play right away, but I actually see a decrease in switching. We already saw some teams playing man to man in the playoffs to some success in spurts. I could see teams trying it even more. If there's less switching, then the natural response is post play to take advantage of one on one matchups.

With that said, we could just go even farther down the motion defense and offense and the end of position basketball has been foretold for like twenty years now.

All it takes is one transcendent player to change how the rest of the league reacts. Look how the league reacted to Shaq.

The other side of it is that most teams are always trying to copy whatever team they deem to be successful, so today that's the Warriors style of ball. Maybe if the Philly experiment works, everyone starts looking for a post superstar or the next HoF big man.

Like we were saying a couple of pages ago, a lot of the current great players in the league weren't drafted in the top 3, maybe we're in an era of so much basketball talent that could make different strategies work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Best strategy to win a ring still seems to get three really good players and a versatile bench.

Bored sports bloggers talk a lot about a certain style taking over the league but I see teams playing lots of styles every night and in the playoffs. You have to be versatile and have dudes who can win one on one matchups.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

euphronius posted:

Best strategy to win a ring still seems to get three really good players and a versatile bench.

Bored sports bloggers talk a lot about a certain style taking over the league but I see teams playing lots of styles every night and in the playoffs. You have to be versatile and have dudes who can win one on one matchups.

Yeah this is pretty much on the nose. The dominant style always happens to be what the best players on the best teams are doing. I think teams get into trouble when they try too much to force rosters to fit some ideal, rather than maximize whatever their players can do. I mean the most effective style of play for the last 10 years in the eastern conference has been "have Lebron James on your team". GS works because Curry's a threat from 35' and an inhuman shooter, they have arguably the best human shooter next to him, and they have a dude who can play PF/C and distribute the ball as well as (or better than) dudes who run the point for most other teams (and that's not counting KD, who's probably the best player on the team).

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

straight up brolic posted:

My First Week Power Rankings, Please Argue With Me:

You've embarrassed yourself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No non Sixers fan has ever agreed with me in the NBA thread

This is a day of joy and reflection

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

No non Sixers fan has ever agreed with me in the NBA thread

This is a day of joy and reflection

Can we all agree that Evan Turner is not a very good basketball player and that it was silly to think otherwise.

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/793670251011465216

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

My First Week Power Rankings, Please Argue With Me:

11. OKC 3-0 - Close wins against bad teams paper over a terrible offense. Have to muck up game against more talented

Sir they beat 3 juggernauts

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Can we all agree that Evan Turner is not a very good basketball player and that it was silly to think otherwise.

This is a little unfair because Turner is pretty much always on the floor when McCollum and Lillard are not. At least it seems that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Plus minus stats should be banned

Nate Duncan needs to stop using them too.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Ringer on the Spurs' Dewayne Dedmon:

https://theringer.com/the-spurs-have-unearthed-a-rough-gem-for-the-post-duncan-era-4b01a7173d80#.xkkf0lhdu

edit:

The Ben Simmons thing is great.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 2, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Turner looked pretty good at points last night. He looked better than pretty much the rest of the Blazers bench.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I thought we all agreed on that years ago

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If you watch his best interviews high you'll come to the realization that he is easily the funniest human being alive. A good Basketball player? Probably not.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Woke Ben Simmons and Joel "The Process" Embiid

what a time to be alive

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

EvanTH posted:

I thought we all agreed on that years ago

There was a bit of false hope after some of his play on the Celtics.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

His overall offensive stats aren't the best, but he could look like absolute garbage on offense and still be worth his contract.

2 more years after this one, at $10 million total :drat:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Papercut posted:

This is a little unfair because Turner is pretty much always on the floor when McCollum and Lillard are not. At least it seems that way.

According to consistent line-ups, he's usually at least with CJ and the blazers podcast does mention they should move towards just having both CJ and Lilard sit out and make Turner the "focal" point of the 2nd unit.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Spoeank posted:

And #6 was a megaquestionable offensive foul on a made basket when the game was almost over. And the Kings lost in OT.

I finally saw this clip and this isn't a questionable foul at all. It was a great call and I'm glad the referees had the balls to make it in such a situation.

https://streamable.com/66tb

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

So he's basically Ice from Arrested Development?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ImHER/status/793873489065283592

Cavs losing in the first round.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Horford out with a concussion and Avery Bradley might have an injured shoulder. Looking like the Bulls are going to feast once again

That's embarrassing and completely erases KD's tattoos from memory

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

People in the comments are saying it isn't him, but some guy from Shreveport honoring his unborn daughter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nevermind disregard that I got tricked by Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mr1738/status/793879017774456832

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wow. That's one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen an NBA player do.

Edit: Oh, good.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

They're both pretty bad.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Nevermind disregard that I got tricked by Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mr1738/status/793879017774456832

same thing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If that sun/halo was a b-ball it would rule.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

euphronius posted:

I guess you can define style how you want but teams shooting way more threes isn't just the fever dream of some unemployed 20-year-old

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

If that sun/halo was a b-ball it would rule.

:yeah:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

My biggest Sixers dream is that Embiid becomes better known as "The Process" than his real name. Like to the same degree as Big Baby was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Glen Davis is a much less recognizable name than Jo-el Em-biid.

Why would you want to deny the world that smooth of a sounding name?

It's great when he scores in Philly, too.

ehhmmmmmmBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiidddd

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
What happens to the Process nickname when he moves to another team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
At least if they ever make the playoffs, "The Process of Elimination" headline is already good to go

• Locked thread