Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I did, but wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Being a relatively new fan of MaBimBam I appreciated the Best Of ep. and was dying at the Italian Accent segment.

What other brotherpod should I listen to if I love MBMBAM but am not really into Adventure Zone? Shmanners?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rose Buddies is probably my favorite non-TAZ McElroy podcast, so...that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Rose Buddies and/or Sawbones for sure.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Being a relatively new fan of MaBimBam I appreciated the Best Of ep. and was dying at the Italian Accent segment.

What other brotherpod should I listen to if I love MBMBAM but am not really into Adventure Zone? Shmanners?

Listen to whatever you need to in order to gain your soul back because how the heck do you not have a bone for The Zone?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Anybody play 100ft Robot Golf?
The review scores aren't very promising, but I wonder if it's worth it just for the brothers and to support them in a Roundabout way.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Listen to whatever you need to in order to gain your soul back because how the heck do you not have a bone for The Zone?

Honestly the first like 4-5 episodes of TAZ aren't great. I can see why someone would give up on it.

I wasn't sold until the mushrooms.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhZ11538qwg

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm glad Griffin was able to admit how bad he is at pokemon

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Who doesn't consider Gastly a good Pokemon? He's got style!

Also: https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/793865307093807104

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zeeman posted:

He has no grace. Haunter has a funny face.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Asiina posted:

Honestly the first like 4-5 episodes of TAZ aren't great.

No, they're really fantastic too. It's basically only half of the very first episode that's sort of mediocre. Especially in comparison to several episodes in Crystal Kingdom which border on genuinely unlistenable.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

No, they're really fantastic too. It's basically only half of the very first episode that's sort of mediocre. Especially in comparison to several episodes in Crystal Kingdom which border on genuinely unlistenable.

I mean, I don't know what you're trying to say here. Obviously I disagree. Saying no your opinion is wrong is kinda pointless?

I think the first few episodes where they are mostly trying to figure out the rules of the game are pretty stilted and awkward and don't leave much room for goofs. Once they're over that initial learning hump and are more comfortable with the system and who their characters are, the storytelling gets a lot better. So if someone listened to a few and didn't want to continue (like I originally did) then I'd advise them to stick with it a little longer and they may find it turns around.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

The first few episodes aren't like immediately amazing, but I did enjoy Griffin immediately trying to break out of the default campaign with "Barry Bluejeans" and also the first battle they have where they just completely murder the gerblins in ridiculously over the top ways.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zeeman posted:

The first few episodes aren't like immediately amazing, but I did enjoy Griffin immediately trying to break out of the default campaign with "Barry Bluejeans" and also the first battle they have where they just completely murder the gerblins in ridiculously over the top ways.

My D&D group is starting off with the same module and I know that guy has a real name, but he will forever be Barry Bluejeans.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got some dog mail for ya, Ron.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this should not be ignored, and in fact should replace the entirety of the OP

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

aw this hurts my Ron-Esteem

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Angryhead posted:

Anybody play 100ft Robot Golf?
The review scores aren't very promising, but I wonder if it's worth it just for the brothers and to support them in a Roundabout way.

From what I've seen and heard, the gameplay is simply okay, but everything around it is loving fantastic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Asiina posted:

I mean, I don't know what you're trying to say here. Obviously I disagree. Saying no your opinion is wrong is kinda pointless?

I think the first few episodes where they are mostly trying to figure out the rules of the game are pretty stilted and awkward and don't leave much room for goofs. Once they're over that initial learning hump and are more comfortable with the system and who their characters are, the storytelling gets a lot better. So if someone listened to a few and didn't want to continue (like I originally did) then I'd advise them to stick with it a little longer and they may find it turns around.

I just think it's exaggerating to pretend that the first arc is really bad/ not representative of TAZ when you get stuff like, just off the top of my head, Magic Brian, Abra-ca-gently caress-you, Barry Bluejeans, the jackoff cave, the spores goof, the Klarg interaction, "Stop talking about murdering me!"...I could go on. There's an absolute ton of goofs in the first arc. And, again, it must be stressed: infinitely more listenable than certain episodes of Crystal Kingdom which consist of extended, extremely dull combat sections broken up by Griffin expositing at them.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I just think it's exaggerating to pretend that the first arc is really bad/ not representative of TAZ when you get stuff like, just off the top of my head, Magic Brian, Abra-ca-gently caress-you, Barry Bluejeans, the jackoff cave, the spores goof, the Klarg interaction, "Stop talking about murdering me!"...I could go on. There's an absolute ton of goofs in the first arc. And, again, it must be stressed: infinitely more listenable than certain episodes of Crystal Kingdom which consist of extended, extremely dull combat sections broken up by Griffin expositing at them.

I'd say watch the first episode/1.5, skip to the magic brian episode, and read a summary of the ones before it, but I'm not really into D&D generally.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Beekeeping and You posted:

I'd say watch the first episode/1.5, skip to the magic brian episode, and read a summary of the ones before it, but I'm not really into D&D generally.

Missing Klarg really should not be an option though. He's a hugbear!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Eh just listen to all of it, nobody's time is as valuable as they think it is

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
As opposed to CK which just has Hodgepodge, The Magical World of Elevators, Johann August Ephraim, Della Reese, Boyland, and a bunch of other spoilery stuff.

I agree there are too many combat encounters for sure but dang there are a lotta good goofs there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Justin saying "tell him he can gently caress clean off" still cracks me up every time I hear it. It cracked me up just typing it now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Somberbrero posted:

As opposed to CK which just has Hodgepodge, The Magical World of Elevators, Johann August Ephraim, Della Reese, Boyland, and a bunch of other spoilery stuff.

I agree there are too many combat encounters for sure but dang there are a lotta good goofs there.

Yes, the Hodgepodge ep is probably the single best episode they've ever done, I agree. It's why I said certain episodes and not the whole thing. Because, man, when CK is bad it is loving dire. Try and relisten to the episode where Lucas vomits the backstory Griffin retconned in when TAZ stopped being 100% goofs. It's a mess.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The yeemick interaction and subsequent "I don't trust that guy" "yeah no poo poo we're gonna kill all of them" is still my favorite TAZ moment and it's episode 2.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Zeeman posted:

I'm really excited to listen to this with clean audio - I was there in person but it was a very loud audience, so i figure there's probably plenty of stuff I missed.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Beekeeping and You posted:

If you're anything like me, the transition from listening to episodes at your leisure to only getting one every 2 weeks is jarring. ~Treasure what episodes you have~ and don't skip any. Discover your least favorite episodes on your own!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Yes, the Hodgepodge ep is probably the single best episode they've ever done, I agree. It's why I said certain episodes and not the whole thing. Because, man, when CK is bad it is loving dire. Try and relisten to the episode where Lucas vomits the backstory Griffin retconned in when TAZ stopped being 100% goofs. It's a mess.

Or the episode where they spend the entire time fighting robot versions of characters they already killed only to have it be instantly over with one spell that could have been cast at any point beforehand and then in the last couple minutes mention the ticking clock gimmick that was supposed to run through the whole arc. Crystal Kingdom was a big mess with waaaaay too much story, but at least that Hodgepodge episode is fantastic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inzombiac posted:

Car Boys:
I would get really mad at Nick for his deplorable camera controls.
Then I bought BeamNG.Drive.

Nick is a saint for doing so well while ALSO delivering on some A+ goofs.

Beam is a very good and fun game but it's a dilly to control cinematically.

Wait, the complaint about Nick's beam.ng skillz was serious? I thought they were making fun of the amateur MLG-types who obsess over playing armchair quarterback for everything Polygon puts out, like the when people were doing second-by-second critiques of someone playing Doom for the first time on a controller.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Or the episode where they spend the entire time fighting robot versions of characters they already killed only to have it be instantly over with one spell that could have been cast at any point beforehand and then in the last couple minutes mention the ticking clock gimmick that was supposed to run through the whole arc. Crystal Kingdom was a big mess with waaaaay too much story, but at least that Hodgepodge episode is fantastic.

CK was easily the worst arc but the fight against Marvy, Brian and Jenkins was brilliant and I'm glad it was in. I can understand thinking the fight was a time-waste but it had some great goofs in it and that's what I listen to TAZ for. It was obvious early on that the ticking clock gimmick was never going to affect gameplay in the same way that 11th hour's gimmick of June/Chalice getting old and withered was never going to affect the story so I hardly think that can be held against it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

Wait, the complaint about Nick's beam.ng skillz was serious? I thought they were making fun of the amateur MLG-types who obsess over playing armchair quarterback for everything Polygon puts out, like the when people were doing second-by-second critiques of someone playing Doom for the first time on a controller.

They got several episodes into the series before Nick discovered he could make the camera move at fewer than 90,000 feet per second

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite character is still the goblin that sounds like Kelsey Grammar and looks like Common. He's one hell of a goblin.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's crazy to me that people would recommend skipping episodes in a serialized podcast, especially one that frequently brings back/references characters from past adventures

I really like where Griffin has taken things, but there's something to be said about Tres Horny Boys goofing their way through a legit low level D&D campaign. I'm pretty sure at this point if Travis just said "I'd like to roll to split the goblin in half, longways" that Griffin would just ask him to roll a DC 10 without batting an eye.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

CK was easily the worst arc but the fight against Marvy, Brian and Jenkins was brilliant and I'm glad it was in. I can understand thinking the fight was a time-waste but it had some great goofs in it and that's what I listen to TAZ for. It was obvious early on that the ticking clock gimmick was never going to affect gameplay in the same way that 11th hour's gimmick of June/Chalice getting old and withered was never going to affect the story so I hardly think that can be held against it.

I was dying of laughter in that fight because they could not remember Marvy even existed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"You gotta have D if you want...If you don't...If you...Don't shed your....Don't...shed your ski-...Don't shed that chitin, put....gently caress!!!!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

"You gotta have D if you want...If you don't...If you...Don't shed your....Don't...shed your ski-...Don't shed that chitin, put....gently caress!!!!"

Scorpions glow under UV light. My improvement would be making them glow in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Took their mom ages to sew that on a pillow