Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes. This is how Starbucks cup controversies make me feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mendrian posted:

P.sure some people think a relatively benign green/white cup symbolizing unity is somehow a hidden message of Islamic takeover.

Somebody said homophobia is the fear that another man will treat you as poorly as you treat women. I think conservatism must be the fear that a new majority will treat you as poorly as you treat minorities.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

A major problem with politics, and one that liberals and leftists are not immune to, is that we get into the attitude of 'sports teams.' Rather than genuinely considering the idea of each individual actor it becomes "our guy is winning!" And like a lot of sports fans people are okay with their guy winning through iffy means as long as he wins and are willing to downplay their flaws. (And again, this isn't exclusively conservatives.) With an election this heated and this intense people are getting crazier and crazier and are okay with ANYTHING winning as long as it does. To some degree this is the same thing that feeds the "Trump totally has an underage sex tape where he shouts racial slurs" mindset, which is only meaningfully different from a Michelle Obama Whitey Tape insomuch as Trump is more believable as having actually done it. (And I'd say 'even that is leftist bias' but I think it's pretty unobjectionable to say that Trump doing something skeevy is more believable than Michelle Obama going on a whitey rant.)

The problem is that you're assuming it is actually possible to discuss ideas in good faith with modern America conservatives.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

The question is - how do you call Nate Silver "wrong"?

The only way you can prove that a probability distribution is right or wrong is to run it thousands of times and noting that it roughly converges to the point you set it at. You can't run iterations of an election.

Well it's pretty easy to prove Sam Wang wrong. If it's a 99% chance to win and it ends up coming down to the wire it probably wasn't a 99% chance. It's why I don't like Wang's model, he doesn't allow for enough uncertainty.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chexoid posted:

Starbucks is taking heat literally because they said Racism was Bad.

Not all racists are racist. #notallracists

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

freckle posted:

Not unless he calls for her to be harmed.

He could probably even get away (on the criminal law front) with pulling a Thomas Becket, although depending on the exact phrasing that's caused people problems in the past. :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

So how much should I be arzying today?

Here, I stole from the old goonsquad days to provide you handy chart:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

Well it's pretty easy to prove Sam Wang wrong. If it's a 99% chance to win and it ends up coming down to the wire it probably wasn't a 99% chance. It's why I don't like Wang's model, he doesn't allow for enough uncertainty.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

Phone posted:

Not all racists are racist. #notallracists

Maybe they just want to have a white christmas

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

A major problem with politics, and one that liberals and leftists are not immune to, is that we get into the attitude of 'sports teams.' Rather than genuinely considering the idea of each individual actor it becomes "our guy is winning!" And like a lot of sports fans people are okay with their guy winning through iffy means as long as he wins and are willing to downplay their flaws. (And again, this isn't exclusively conservatives.) With an election this heated and this intense people are getting crazier and crazier and are okay with ANYTHING winning as long as it does. To some degree this is the same thing that feeds the "Trump totally has an underage sex tape where he shouts racial slurs" mindset, which is only meaningfully different from a Michelle Obama Whitey Tape insomuch as Trump is more believable as having actually done it. (And I'd say 'even that is leftist bias' but I think it's pretty unobjectionable to say that Trump doing something skeevy is more believable than Michelle Obama going on a whitey rant.)

A major problem with people who use the "sports team" metaphor is that politics really is like a sports team insofar as a) you should root for any Democrat over any Republican because they determine House Speaker/Senate Majority Leader and b) if you lose it doesn't matter how good you were

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm going to guess that this cup controversy was basically manufactured like the one last year was.

Because it was ALL ANYONE TALKED ABOUT FOR LIKE TWO WEEKS.

When virtually nobody, left or right, thought the cups were anti-Christmas!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Feingold has consistently not performed well. Bill Nelson will win easily in Florida, Brown will get some lovely challenger but likely win unless it's John Kasich.

Supposedly Kasich has no interest returning to DC (unless as president) and he's almost definitely running for president in 2020. Would it look good if he became senator and immediately started a presidential campaign?

But yeah, if he runs then Sherrod is probably toast.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

axeil posted:

"Coming down to the wire" is a little hard to define, though. There's always the speculation that the Clinton lead of ~6-7% baked in, that the videos didn't really hurt Trump, emails don't hurt Clinton, there's some noise but things don't matter that much and demographically what is happening is what would have happened under a drastically different set up circumstances as long as the electoral demographics were the same.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 2, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
How the hell does Nate justify having Clinton's odds at <70% when her winning every state where she has at least a 70% chance gives here 272 EVs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A major problem with people who use the "sports team" metaphor is that politics really is like a sports team insofar as a) you should root for any Democrat over any Republican because they determine House Speaker/Senate Majority Leader and b) if you lose it doesn't matter how good you were

I don't really agree, no. I absolutely agree that a Democratic majority is necessary but that doesn't mean I would, for example, support a Anthony Wiener or a Joe Liberman as a wholehearted good thing. It's pretty lovely we're in a position where some legitimately awful Democrats are who we need to get that majority.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axeil posted:

Well it's pretty easy to prove Sam Wang wrong. If it's a 99% chance to win and it ends up coming down to the wire it probably wasn't a 99% chance.

If the margin is between +1 and +3, that's still a 99% chance to win.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How the hell does Nate justify having Clinton's odds at <70% when her winning every state where she has at least a 70% chance gives here 272 EVs?

Because :supaburn: What if all the polls are wrong?!? :supaburn:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did he seriously drop her chances by 20% overnight? I missed this until now.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Check this poo poo out:

https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/793849709295042560

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Plus, all the great Democrats that we should aspire to were absolute fuckers in their time and pushed the limits of decorum. LBJ and FDR didn't sit around hoping Republicans would change out of the goodness of their hearts. Great sports teams push the limits of the rules, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Two new Arizona Polls out:

+4 Trump
+5 Trump

Another Georgia Poll:

+9 Trump

Pennsylvania:

+2 Clinton (same poll has McGinty +6)

It's looking more and more like Trump is going to perform the exact same or slightly better than Romney.

Looks like America likes White Nationalist Populism and Sexism more than Free Markets. Or they are very passionate about emails.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nate is

1) Shook
2) A Garbage pundit
3) Does not discriminate about polls that go into his aggregation no matter how trashass they are

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cool double post bro

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm starting to realize the anxiety that everyone is having over a Trump presidency is literally the worst thing. I'm not immune to it. I probably go to fivethirtyeight like 4 times a day.

We probably would be better served by ignoring this and discussing something like video game OSTs.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He explained it pretty well on the podcast: uncertainty with regard to the the quality and accuracy of polling data, especially in states like Michigan where there isn't a lot of "high quality polling" (his words).

Or, put more succinctly:

WampaLord posted:

:supaburn: What if all the polls are wrong?!? :supaburn:

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
More shots fired at Comey:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/heres-an-open-letter-to-james-comey?bftwnews&utm_term=.xpNVZlYgp#.ycN4rQZva

quote:

Mr. James Comey

FBI Director

November 2, 2016

I am the 15-year-old (now 16) who was the victim of Anthony Weiner. I now add you to the list of people who have victimized me. I told my story originally to protect other young girls that might be a victim of online predators.

Your letter to Congress has now brought this whole matter back into the media spotlight. Not even 10 minutes after being forensically interviewed with the FBI for seven hours, I received a phone call from a REPORTER asking for a statement. Why didn’t you communicate with the local FBI agents that I had just spoken to? They could have scheduled our interview sooner or scheduled a time to interview me later, or change locations of the interview. My neighborhood has been canvassed by reporters asking for details about me.
In your letter, you chose to use a vague approach, meaning the media had to keep searching to try and find out what evidence you had uncovered and how. Every media outlet from local to national has contacted me and my family to get my “story.” Why couldn’t your letter have waited until after the election, so I would not have to be the center of attention the last week of the election cycle?

In his “cooperation” with you and with his love of the spotlight, Anthony Weiner has given information that led to the media finding me. You have assisted him in further victimizing me on every news outlet. I can only assume that you saw an opportunity for political propaganda.

I thought your job as FBI Director was to protect me. I thought if I cooperated with your investigation, my identity as a minor would be kept secret. That is no longer the case. My family and I are barraged by reporters’ phone calls and emails. I have been even been blamed in a newspaper for causing Donald Trump to now be leading in some polls and costing Hillary the election.

Anthony Weiner is the abuser. Your letter helped that abuse to continue. How can I rebuild my life when you have made finding out my “story” the goal of every reporter? When I meet with my therapist next time, she will already know what we are going to talk about before I get there by reading Friday, October 28th, 2016’s New York Times article.

I may have been Weiner’s victim, but the real story here is that I am a survivor. I am strong, intelligent, and certain that I will come out from under this nightmare, but it will not be as a result of your doing your job to protect me. I hope that by making my letter to you public, you will think about how your actions affect the victims of the crimes you are investigating. The election is important, yes, but what happened to me and how it makes me feel and how others see me, is much more important. It’s time that the FBI Director puts his victims’ rights above political views.

— Girl that lost her faith in America

P.S. To all reporters: AP, FOX, CBS, NBC, and all other media outlets, please respect my position and stop interrupting my life!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

weekly font posted:

Nate is

1) Shook
2) A Garbage pundit
3) Does not discriminate about polls that go into his aggregation no matter how trashass they are

shut your trash mouth, Nate is adorable and listening to him arzy in his own Rain Man fashion is one of the few rays of joy in the bleak hellscape of my life

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Didn't he get burned on the primaries about Trump? Dude's hedging his bets like a motherfucker.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

But they forgot to count all the black republicans!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

seiferguy posted:

I'm starting to realize the anxiety that everyone is having over a Trump presidency is literally the worst thing. I'm not immune to it. I probably go to fivethirtyeight like 4 times a day.

We probably would be better served by ignoring this and discussing something like video game OSTs.

Trump is not likely to win. It's possible, but not likely.

The sad and damning thing for the country is that he is going to get a similar electoral college and popular vote total to Mitt Romney. Right now he is actually performing better than Romney in Iowa and Wisconsin.

So, unrepentant racism, sexism, and policy ignorance are normalized and the down ballot Republican party pays no additional price for it. Down ballot Republicans are actually in better shape now than in 2012.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I predict a fresh wave of Arzying here in about, oh... *checks watch* 35 minutes.

Quinnipiac's going to be dropping some swing state polls then. They tend to lean a bit to the right.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

seiferguy posted:

Here are good ones from Civ 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2gOiLzDxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FZyHq2tLQ

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

His model is designed to assume that polls could all have major systemic biases baked in that can't be detected until election day.

Things like "What if Republicans just don't respond to polls anymore because they disproportionately let calls go to voicemail?"

Or

"What if Republicans are so ashamed of Trump that they can't admit to a total stranger that they're going to vote for Trump, but still vote that way in the privacy of a voting booth?"

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
My personal polling experience:

I was teaching a kid probability, and asked him how many times out of 100 he expected a coin flip to land heads-up. He said "70" and I told him to expect something closer to 50-50.

He started flipping, and went on an ungodly heads streak. I thought to myself, either this kid needs to stop flipping heads right now or this lesson's going to get a lot longer and more confusing.

I am Nate Silver. The kid is you. The penny is a handful of assholes in North Carolina, Florida and Wisconsin.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Op...op...oppo?

https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/793880513018785792

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

i am the bird posted:

Supposedly Kasich has no interest returning to DC (unless as president) and he's almost definitely running for president in 2020. Would it look good if he became senator and immediately started a presidential campaign?

But yeah, if he runs then Sherrod is probably toast.

Worked for Obama

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soothing Vapors posted:

He explained it pretty well on the podcast: uncertainty with regard to the the quality and accuracy of polling data, especially in states like Michigan where there isn't a lot of "high quality polling" (his words).

Or, put more succinctly:
Am I crazy or has he done this like once a month? The polls are not reflecting this at all.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
What could upset the emails story?

This. Yeah, this could do it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

large oblate cat posted:

Reminder that this happened yesterday.

Just because Transcan Dorkass got banned for being a super annoying, crazyposting troll doesn't mean racism is banished from the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This will go suspiciously uncovered by the news orgs that are so in the bag for Hillary they would never ever cover her scandals.

• Locked thread