Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hush is the best home invasion movie.

It's not even close to You're Next, the original Straw Dogs, or People Under The Stairs

Basebf555 posted:

Having recently rewatched High Tension, I think that may be the best home invasion sequence I've seen in a movie.

Yeah, that is the best part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

INDUSTRY DESTROYS ART! IT KNOWS NOTHING OF BEAUTY!

(gets consumed by spiders)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that is the best part of the movie.

The best part is the mother's strangled 'whyyyyyyy' after her throat is cut. It's one of my favourite horror scenes in general.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bolingbroke posted:

I spent Halloween as I usually do: decorating the house with cobwebs, carving a pumpkin, preparing some spooky food & alcohol, and inviting some people around to watch Possession for the first time.

Possession is not an appropriate party film, and yet this is the third time I have done this. The response is usually polite bemusement except for one person who will get absurdly into it, and you know that person is a keeper.
So where have you been keeping them?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What actually happens in High Tension?

Is she really dating the girl, visits her family, and then decides to kill everyone because she wants to be her girlfriend's one and only 'family'? Or is she a stalker who imagines she is dating the girl, and kills to fit reality to her delusions?

I watched it a few weeks ago, still confused on what it's trying to do when I think back on it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

What actually happens in High Tension?

Is she really dating the girl, visits her family, and then decides to kill everyone because she wants to be her girlfriend's one and only 'family'? Or is she a stalker who imagines she is dating the girl, and kills to fit reality to her delusions?

I watched it a few weeks ago, still confused on what it's trying to do when I think back on it.

I don't think she's even dating the girl. I think the other girl is straight and they are friends/roommates.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I don't think she's even dating the girl. I think the other girl is straight and they are friends/roommates.

Yea there's no indication that they're an established couple at all, they appear to be college roommates. The reason for going to the house in the country is because they have some sort of big exam to study for, right before the poo poo hits the fan they briefly discuss what subject to begin studying the next morning.

Good luck trying to follow what's actually happening for real and what's happening in her head though. There's no attempt at consistency whatsoever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Basebf555 posted:

Yea there's no indication that they're an established couple at all, they appear to be college roommates. The reason for going to the house in the country is because they have some sort of big exam to study for, right before the poo poo hits the fan they briefly discuss what subject to begin studying the next morning.

Good luck trying to follow what's actually happening for real and what's happening in her head though. There's no attempt at consistency whatsoever.

I seriously thought that either the main character was a lesbian or they were a lesbian couple. Not because of stereotypical poo poo like she has short hair, but when she's hugging her chained up friend saying 'Everything's going to be okay, I'm here for you," seemed more, I dunno, romantically driven than just normal best-friend stuff.

It is incredible how inconsistent the movie is. Someone mentioned that Identity is like the screenplay Donald Kaufman is writing in Adaptation, but I think that applies more to High Tension. Identity at least straight up prepares you for the big reveal with the intro and opening credits, even though you don't get it until you rewatch it.

That's right, I like Identity. Jake Busey getting a baseball bat down his throat is great, even if a 9 year old boy does it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, it's not really a big problem, though. Almost the whole movie just turns out to be an unreliable narrator. You can safely assume that everything until the twist is revealed is fantasy and there are no rules. We see none of these events from the real victim's perspective. The important part is that all of the conflict between the protagonist and the killer is delusion. It's all just externalization of an internal conflict. As such, the protagonists "perspective" is free to jump around to wherever, since it's not reflective of reality.

edit: ^ Well, yes. The protagonist is obsessing over the other girl in a sexual/romantic way. But the other girl doesn't know this. Also remember that during that embrace, the other girl isn't delusional and is freaking out because she knows she's being hugged by the batshit killer. This scene becomes retroactively really hosed up when the twist is revealed.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 2, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I seriously thought that either the main character was a lesbian or they were a lesbian couple. Not because of stereotypical poo poo like she has short hair, but when she's hugging her chained up friend saying 'Everything's going to be okay, I'm here for you," seemed more, I dunno, romantically driven than just normal best-friend stuff.

You're not entirely wrong, the movie does imply that she is probably a lesbian and has feelings for her roommate. She's I guess not fully accepted her sexuality yet and its manifested as some sort of multiple personality disorder.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

God drat, Shudder needs to stop kicking rear end. With these updates, and Filmstruck now a thing, I don't know if I even have time to keep Netflix, let alone pay for it...

I honestly really don't like Shudder. They have an incredible selection, but it's organized like total crap and it's a crapshoot whether its player will actually let you finish a movie. If there was any other service with a decent horror selection, or if the Amazon addon had all the main site's stuff, I'd drop Shudder very fast.

(I also sort of wish they'd have a bit more mainstream stuff; I don't think there's a single service with any of the F13, Nightmare, or Halloween movies up currently, with the exception of Rob Zombie's first Halloween on Amazon.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I mean, it's not really a big problem, though. Almost the whole movie just turns out to be an unreliable narrator. You can safely assume that everything until the twist is revealed is fantasy and there are no rules. We see none of these events from the real victim's perspective. The important part is that all of the conflict between the protagonist and the killer is delusion. It's all just externalization of an internal conflict. As such, the protagonists "perspective" is free to jump around to wherever, since it's not reflective of reality.

For me its a problem because a better filmmaker could accomplish the same thing, and still keep things consistent enough that you could go back, rewatch the film, and say "aaaah, so that's what was really happening there." As it is you get very little of that on rewatch(the one scene you mention where the girl is gagged and you can tell on rewatch that she's terrified of the true culprit is an exception). You just have to throw your hands up and accept that the movie is a bunch of effective scenes that will never fit together in any logical way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

You're not entirely wrong, the movie does imply that she is probably a lesbian and has feelings for her roommate. She's I guess not fully accepted her sexuality yet and its manifested as some sort of multiple personality disorder.

It's also kind of like a psycho reaction to being friend-zoned. I'm pretty sure the friend mentions a boy at the beginning of the movie, so I think it's not just that she's straight, but that she's taken. The protagonist (sorry I don't remember either of the character's names) essentially creates a fantasy where she gets to rescue her friend from a psychotic male killer. It's like the reverse of some sort of "scared straight" type fantasy where a male protagonist would save a girl he likes from a "crazy lesbian" and she would realize that she is straight after all.

The twist is essentially built on the audience's preconceptions that both female characters are victims being preyed on by a predatory male, as is typical in the genre.

edit: ^ I mean, sure. I just don't think that that's the kind of movie that it is. Worrying about the mechanics of the plot and "what's actually going on 'in real life'(in the movie)" seems like you're trying to fit the movie into a format of your choosing. I.e. "The type of movie where the plot is a puzzle and you can solve it and go back and see all the clues". It's definitely not that type of movie. There aren't really any clues. The scenes do make sense from a character perspective though. We're essentially going on a journey through the fantasies and mental gymnastics of a delusional psychotic person.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

edit: ^ Well, yes. The protagonist is obsessing over the other girl in a sexual/romantic way. But the other girl doesn't know this. Also remember that during that embrace, the other girl isn't delusional and is freaking out because she knows she's being hugged by the batshit killer. This scene becomes retroactively really hosed up when the twist is revealed.

Yeah, knowing the twist before going into the movie, that was actually my favorite part for that exact reason.

Basebf555 posted:

For me its a problem because a better filmmaker could accomplish the same thing, and still keep things consistent enough that you could go back, rewatch the film, and say "aaaah, so that's what was really happening there." As it is you get very little of that on rewatch(the one scene you mention where the girl is gagged and you can tell on rewatch that she's terrified of the true culprit is an exception). You just have to throw your hands up and accept that the movie is a bunch of effective scenes that will never fit together in any logical way.

That's my sentiment. It's telling that I'd rather ask people on a forum about the movie than to just re-watch it, which feels like a chore at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

See, my problem with it is that it makes the entirety of what we just watched beforehand completely pointless. It's basically a grim and frostbitten take on the "all just a dream" ending.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

High Tension is one of my favorites, but I rarely give much though to the ending and its implications. The movie works so well aside from (and possibly in spite of) its ending that it's not even what stand stands out for me. It's its visceral intensity that gravitates me toward it. It preceded Hostel, Saw, and all the French extreme films (which were inspired by High Tension), so it was truly one of the most shockingly brutal movies I had ever seen at that point. But people get so fixated on that drat ending...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly really don't like Shudder. They have an incredible selection, but it's organized like total crap and it's a crapshoot whether its player will actually let you finish a movie. If there was any other service with a decent horror selection, or if the Amazon addon had all the main site's stuff, I'd drop Shudder very fast.

(I also sort of wish they'd have a bit more mainstream stuff; I don't think there's a single service with any of the F13, Nightmare, or Halloween movies up currently, with the exception of Rob Zombie's first Halloween on Amazon.)

See, I can totally deal with that for the selection that they offer. Glitches and bugs get worked out over time, but selections involve negotiations with other parties that make it difficult.

Also, I don't see a big point for the mainstream stuff. F13s, Nightmares and Halloweens are, like, the easiest movies to buy collected for cheap. I've had a much harder time finding decent affordable quality collections for Chucky or Ghoulies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I personally have never understood why "it was all a dream" is hated so much.

It's all just a story anyway. The way characters interact with their surroundings informs the characters, regardless of whether the fictional events are real or double fictional.

I want to post a lot more about this, but I've been procrastinating on this project I'm supposed to be working on for two and a half hours already. I will return later to give more thoughts on why I think the movie makes perfect sense, and it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the plot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I'd rather Shudder have off beat , cult classics, foreign horror than like the big franchises which probably cost a ton of money to license. I'm pretty sure them licensing BLack Devil Doll did not break the bank. It's not a "general" horror website and it's films are niche so that's what I like about it. I actually haven't had any problems with the player as of late for whatever reason I think a update from Chrome and them fixed it. Also they are technically still in beta I think.

Totally worth the money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

High Tension is one of my favorites, but I rarely give much though to the ending and its implications. The movie works so well aside from (and possibly in spite of) its ending that it's not even what stand stands out for me. It's its visceral intensity that gravitates me toward it. It preceded Hostel, Saw, and all the French extreme films (which were inspired by High Tension), so it was truly one of the most shockingly brutal movies I had ever seen at that point. But people get so fixated on that drat ending...

The reason the ending gets so much attention is because of how great the movie is overall. If it was just a poo poo movie from beginning to end it would have been long forgotten.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really enjoyed High Tension ,but because it has just a completely unreliable narriator you really don't know what happens at all in the film. It's so bizarre.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ok so now I've got New French Extremity on my mind. What do you all think of Martyrs? I've seen it once, years ago, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Looking at my Criticker blurb, I said that it's an intense horror movie "wrapped in pseudo-intellectual philosophical mumbo jumbo". Do those who like the movie overlook the metaphysical themes of the ending (much like I overlook the ending to High Tension), or do you actually think they work? I just remember rolling my eyes at the pretentiousness, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never thought the ending to Martyrs was too pretentious, but I guess everyone has their own personal level of tolerance for pretentiousness.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I never thought the ending to Martyrs was too pretentious, but I guess everyone has their own personal level of tolerance for pretentiousness.

I actually have a really high tolerance. I'm thinking I may have just been in a sour mood that evening.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I actually have a really high tolerance. I'm thinking I may have just been in a sour mood that evening.

Its not like the bizarreness of the ending is out of left field, as soon as they find the half dead girl in the cellar you know something really hosed up is afoot.

There's a certain amount of pretentiousness to the underground group intentionally, because they feel that they are doing work that's so important its worth the lives of innocent people. They consider themselves above it all, and they imagine that when they finally find and are able to speak with a Martyr, they'll finally attain the enlightenment they've deserved all along.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 2, 2016

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Snak posted:

I personally have never understood why "it was all a dream" is hated so much.

It's all just a story anyway. The way characters interact with their surroundings informs the characters, regardless of whether the fictional events are real or double fictional.

People hate "it's just a dream" because it's frequently used as a convenient way to portray a crazy situation without having to deal with its consequences.

It's obviously been done well, but that requires a deft touch and clear sense of purpose that it usually doesn't get.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I get that argument, but usually the complaint I hear is "well that was all pointless because it didn't actually happen".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I mean, I get that argument, but usually the complaint I hear is "well that was all pointless because it didn't actually happen".

When its reduced to that it sounds like a stupid complaint, but there's a lot that goes into whether a twist like that comes off as earned or a cop-out. Watching the movie after you know the twist, you get the sense that there were only very few instances where Aja was thinking about how the scene would jive with the twist, and with the rest he just said "well, we're working with an unreliable narrator here so I can do whatever I want." It feels like he shot most of the home invasion/slasher scenes first before he even knew that he was going to do the twist, which I know isn't true but that's what you get when you don't put some effort into balancing dream logic vs. reality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

To me, it just makes the stakes irrelevant.

Like, it doesn't really matter if Luke Skywalker gets his hands cut off or that his dad is Vader if he can just wake up. It softens character arcs, and defeats the idea of the characters growing in the face of adversity. Because they didn't really. It was in their head.

It can work, like Mulholland Drive, NoES or Wizard of Oz, but usually it's just cheap and taints everything. It feels like the writer's got themselves in a corner and took the easy way out.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ok so now I've got New French Extremity on my mind. What do you all think of Martyrs? I've seen it once, years ago, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Looking at my Criticker blurb, I said that it's an intense horror movie "wrapped in pseudo-intellectual philosophical mumbo jumbo". Do those who like the movie overlook the metaphysical themes of the ending (much like I overlook the ending to High Tension), or do you actually think they work? I just remember rolling my eyes at the pretentiousness, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

I actually just saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I liked the first half, and I also liked the second half, but I'm not really sure how well the two actually work together as a single film. The narrative follows a clear linear progression, but every other element of the film feels pretty discontinuous when passing over the inflection point when the focus shifts to Anna. Any discussions around the movie are probably going to be about the ending bits and the cult, but that kind of renders the entire first half of the movie (and poor Lucie) redundant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hrmmm uncovered interview with Bruce Campbell regarding Evil Dead 2 , I don't know if I agree with the revisionist history.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...k&ICID=ref_fark

It's apparently a requel. Hrmmmm.

It does confirm that it goes Evil Dead - Cut out Recap Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness - Evil Dead Remake - Ash vs. Evil Dead.

I hope this ends the debate.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 2, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They said that on the commentary. I don't know how it's still a debate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The whole "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge/dream" poo poo is seldom well done and is drat lame, it's also usually the first thing I think of when I'm watching a film that seems like it's going to have a twist.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Hrmmm uncovered interview with Bruce Campbell regarding Evil Dead 2 , I don't know if I agree with the revisionist history.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...k&ICID=ref_fark

It's apparently a requel. Hrmmmm.

It does confirm that it goes Evil Dead - Cut out Recap Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness - Evil Dead Remake - Ash vs. Evil Dead.

I hope this ends the debate.

That either implies that Ash went back to the Cabin to get the car, or bought the exact same model.

Though that doesn't explain how the car got back to the cabin after it got sucked into the time wormhole with him for Army of Darkness...

s.i.r.e. posted:

The whole "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge/dream" poo poo is seldom well done and is drat lame, it's also usually the first thing I think of when I'm watching a film that seems like it's going to have a twist.

I agree. Most movies that do it well seem to have actively re-watched Owl Creek and took notes, like they did for Jacob's Ladder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

That either implies that Ash went back to the Cabin to get the car, or bought the exact same model.

Though that doesn't explain how the car got back to the cabin after it got sucked into the time wormhole with him for Army of Darkness...

Evil finds a way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

Ash goes to Cabin. Him and all his friends die. Then he gets possessed. Then the other group show up with the daughter of Professor Knowby. They die. Ash is sucked into the portal and ends up back in time. He fights the deadites and goes back home to be a stockboy.

Sometime later, either through various jobs or buyouts, he's now at a different store and gets high one night and reawakens the deadites.

I hope this helps.

The only bit omitted is the recap to deal with the rights issues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I agree. Most movies that do it well seem to have actively re-watched Owl Creek and took notes, like they did for Jacob's Ladder.

Considering the premise of Ash Vs the Evil Dead seems to be the deadites are back because he got really high and read from the necronomicon to impress a chick, I don't think it would be weird at all for him to have gone back to the cabin to get the car.

Or to have bought the exact same model.

I've only seen the first episode of the show, but it gave me the impression that Army didn't happen. I'm sure that's clarified later.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oooh, he was talking about after Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

My bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

Considering the premise of Ash Vs the Evil Dead seems to be the deadites are back because he got really high and read from the necronomicon to impress a chick, I don't think it would be weird at all for him to have gone back to the cabin to get the car.

Or to have bought the exact same model.

I've only seen the first episode of the show, but it gave me the impression that Army didn't happen. I'm sure that's clarified later.

Can't recall if the show addressed AoD (I think it did confirm that it took place though), but the car is definitely the same car. Ash is very attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well I was referencing the fact that the Evil Dead remake has the car at the cabin still.