Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a weird issue I have. Anyone else get dark souls 3 just occasionally eating up massive, massive amounts of memory and CPU? It's happened to me twice since the DLC launched once just now in farron's keep and once earlier on the high wall. I have no clue what could cause it specifically but I don't really want to keep playing a game that just randomly decides to eat up 100% of my CPU and memory until I force quit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The person who made the hitboxes for the Pontiff Beasts deserves to be in prison.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there any weapons that scale off int other than the MLGS and crescent blade? I tried using the crystal infusion and it seemed to make every weapon I used it on loving awful. The base damage reduction is brutal.

Try crystal infusing the Astora Greatsword. The Crystal Sage's Rapier is another int-scaling weapon.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Genocyber posted:

That really doesn't make any sense given what Aldia is by the end of DS2. My money is that the first scholar was Sulyvahn, since we know he's a sorcerer, he's one of the more important figures in the game (increased by the mention of him originally being from the Painted World in the DLC), and the statue outside the archives of a person holding the profaned greatsword. It also makes more sense being an internally consistent answer, as opposed to drawing from a game that has very little presence in DS3.

Aldia is a flamey tree root man, of which we only see his head. Doesn't seem that off to me, and those statues definitely don't resemble the wax scholars in any capacity. Sulyvahn is definitely possible, but I'm not convinced for a few reasons (also, I don't think that statue is in front of the archives, isn't it just off in the high wall somewhere?). First is that when the game is referring in item descriptions to Sulyvahn without explicitly calling him by name, it always refers to him as a sorcerer or "young sorcerer," which doesn't seem consistent with the presumably important title of "First Scholar." Aldia definitely has that "First Scholar" pedigree and fits as a character whose entire deal is doubting the linking of the fire. And while I agree that DS3 is a lot more willing to take its cues from the first game than the second, I think that it can be overstated; DS3 still has many characters and items from 2 making guest appearances, and it's not like a small allusion to the background lore in a single item description is intended to jam in the whole of the Drangleic plot (which 3 clearly ignores most of the time). This kind of small, oblique reference is the poo poo Dark Souls loves to pull. Plus, again, the connection between soul stream in DS 2 ("signature spell of Aldia") and name dropping the First Scholar in its description in 3.

So yeah, in conclusion I still think it's more likely Aldia, but I'm not gonna stake my life on it like a Solaire-is-Firstborn diehard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Maleh-Vor posted:

I think the pilgrim butterflies are actually the hollow person trees in the High Wall of Lothric, since they're all facing towards the castle at the start, along with all the hollow supplicants. They could be pilgrims just as well, but I think it's tied a bit closer to the rest.

Oh hey look at that. Yeah that makes sense. I mean, relatively at least.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there any weapons that scale off int other than the MLGS and crescent blade? I tried using the crystal infusion and it seemed to make every weapon I used it on loving awful. The base damage reduction is brutal.

Here's a list of all the weapons that scale off int without infusions (not counting int+fth weapons as those are typically dark or flame): Darkmoon Longbow, Greatsword of Judgement, Moonlight Greatsword, Immolation Tinder, Heysel Pick, Crystal Sage's Rapier, and the Cleric's Candlestick. Out of those I would say that the Greatsword of Judgement, Moonlight Greatsword, Immolation Tinder, and Crystal Sage's Rapier are all solid enough to base a build around. The Darkmoon Longbow is a decent weapon as far as bows are concerned as well. The Heysel Pick and Candlestick are pretty whatevers.

Aside from that, you are generally better off infusing a weapon as Raw and then buffing it as a Sorceror. You will get a LOT more damage out of this. If all you want is a backup weapon, Raw is still going to be better unless you are up around 60 Int, then Crystal will be alright on most things. There's a few weapons that take scaling infusions particularly well, among them the Astora Straight Sword, Astora Greatsword, Dark Sword, Murakumo, and Onikiri and Ubadachi (far from an exhaustive list but they're all good weapons).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird issue I have. Anyone else get dark souls 3 just occasionally eating up massive, massive amounts of memory and CPU? It's happened to me twice since the DLC launched once just now in farron's keep and once earlier on the high wall. I have no clue what could cause it specifically but I don't really want to keep playing a game that just randomly decides to eat up 100% of my CPU and memory until I force quit it.

Not quite that bad but it is hammering my PC worse for sure.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm having the same issue. Some times I can play for hours without FPS drops then sometimes it just eats all resources and becomes choppy anywere. This happens with both old and newer drivers. Putting DS3 executable as high priority helps a bit but after a while it keeps eating more memory.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I got the onyx blade at level 20 by running around like an idiot until Vilhelm killed himself somehow. I was trying to poison him, he healed, and I think got ate by a frost tree? Life is weird.

Doing the abyss watchers without a fast weapon to stun them or a shield and stats spread out to use the dumb sword was quite a clusterfuck. I swear that is the hardest boss for me, for the time in the game you fight them, of any of the games.

Anyway, does anyone know what the poise breakpoints are for when you can begin to hyperarmor through attacks with a greatsword? Is it different PvP vs PvE?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I may be mistaken but I think you need only 1 point in poise to enable hyperarmor and the amount of frames comes from the weapon you are using. Other goons more into poise can explain it better.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

Anyway, does anyone know what the poise breakpoints are for when you can begin to hyperarmor through attacks with a greatsword? Is it different PvP vs PvE?

It's absurdly inconsistent to the point that I gave up a greataxe run because I was tired of the "will they, won't they" when it came to poising through attacks.

I had 36 poise and was using weapon arts that increase poise (and the poise wolf ring) and I would still routinely get staggered mid-attack with no consistency fighting the same enemy. Hyperarmor frames seem hosed overall.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Some weird stuff's going on with PC DS3 since the patch/DLC at least. I watch several speedrunners and DS3 has basically gone from never crashing for anyone to crashing multiple times per run on average for some it seems like. Hasn't crashed for me, but I've only played ~10 hours since DLC released and my rig is exceptionally poo poo and very non-standard specs anyway.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Fuligin posted:

Aldia is a flamey tree root man, of which we only see his head. Doesn't seem that off to me, and those statues definitely don't resemble the wax scholars in any capacity. Sulyvahn is definitely possible, but I'm not convinced for a few reasons (also, I don't think that statue is in front of the archives, isn't it just off in the high wall somewhere?). First is that when the game is referring in item descriptions to Sulyvahn without explicitly calling him by name, it always refers to him as a sorcerer or "young sorcerer," which doesn't seem consistent with the presumably important title of "First Scholar." Aldia definitely has that "First Scholar" pedigree and fits as a character whose entire deal is doubting the linking of the fire. And while I agree that DS3 is a lot more willing to take its cues from the first game than the second, I think that it can be overstated; DS3 still has many characters and items from 2 making guest appearances, and it's not like a small allusion to the background lore in a single item description is intended to jam in the whole of the Drangleic plot (which 3 clearly ignores most of the time). This kind of small, oblique reference is the poo poo Dark Souls loves to pull. Plus, again, the connection between soul stream in DS 2 ("signature spell of Aldia") and name dropping the First Scholar in its description in 3.

So yeah, in conclusion I still think it's more likely Aldia, but I'm not gonna stake my life on it like a Solaire-is-Firstborn diehard.

I guess you could make an analog between Soul Geyser and Soul Stream, but Aldia was mainly all hexes and fire by the time he became a tree.

"The First Scholar" also doesn't necessarily refer to him, since he's technically "The Scholar of the First Sin", not the first of the scholars.

I'd think the melty statues might just have been intentionally melted by someone to distance their involvement, or were defaced or destroyed during the civil war in Lothric.

The statue using the Profaned Greatsword is in High Wall of Lothric, and the person carrying it seems to be wearing the Prayer set, which is strongly associated with Prince Lothric. It's also in a courtyard filled with what looks like the aftermath of civil war. He's wearing the exact same bracelets as the Pontiff though, and we're told Prince Lothric has only ever worn the Prayer set even as swaddling clothes as a child that were used in ancient prayer, so maybe they were the Pontiff's clothes earlier. Also, if his bro was Aldricht, and linked the fire before Lothric, and Pontiff saw it didn't really make a difference, that might explain his meddling to get the next in line to not link the flame.

There's still way too many loose ends in every theory so far, but it's pretty fun to theorize. I think the strongest link would probably be that Sullyvahn was a sorcerer, and one kind of corrupted by the Profaned Flame or the Chaos Flame, whatever it is, and infiltrated holy institutions and corrupted them into sorcery as well, and seems to be a pretty manipulative figure all around, but there might never be any definitive answers, or maybe we'll get a new DLC where you fight the real Pontiff and the one in Irythill was an illusion or something like Ornstein and Gwynevere were in DS1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is the profaned flame the chaos flame? The deep seems to be the abyss.

Either their origins were forgotten or they've become worse.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I don't think it's really mentioned anywhere. The parallel I see is the Bed of Chaos and Izalith being all root and branch filled, and Sullyvahn getting branch-wings when he hits phase 2. It's more of a shot in the dark due to lots of things having root or branch-like structures in Dark Souls in general.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I was thinking since that post. The deep is described as a darkness beyond humanity. And I'm pretty sure all deacons have glowing eyes. So the harder glowing eyes enemies are related to this new deeper darkness? Champion Gundyr also gets the red eyes on stage 2 I think.

Not that I really have anywhere to go with this but it's fun to think about.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
What's a good place for low level invasions? I speedran a character to the DLC to get the millwood battle axe and I want to make people cry. I used to get a lot of hits at ~50ish in the cathedral, is that still a good area?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Maleh-Vor posted:

I guess you could make an analog between Soul Geyser and Soul Stream, but Aldia was mainly all hexes and fire by the time he became a tree.

I think you make good points, but I will nitpick that Soul Stream and Soul Geyser are named the same thing in the Japanese translation :pseudo:

But yeah, I'm not saying it's 100% definitely Aldia, I just think it's the strongest theory out there. All we know about Sulyvahn is that he's an rear end in a top hat with fingers in a lot of pies

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Cathedral was pretty good a few weeks ago. You could try Irithyll or catacombs too, since I'd think those are more suited for that level. It might depend more on what level you got your weapon to, though, since I got wildly different results when I went from +6 to +8 (actually from a +3 boss weapon to a +4 one).

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Maleh-Vor posted:

I don't think it's really mentioned anywhere. The parallel I see is the Bed of Chaos and Izalith being all root and branch filled, and Sullyvahn getting branch-wings when he hits phase 2. It's more of a shot in the dark due to lots of things having root or branch-like structures in Dark Souls in general.

The tree-people theme when it comes to the undead turned into trees that seem to turn into Pilgrim Butterflies and Sulyvahn's wings is another thing I worry will not be touched upon at all.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Nina posted:

The tree-people theme when it comes to the undead turned into trees that seem to turn into Pilgrim Butterflies and Sulyvahn's wings is another thing I worry will not be touched upon at all.

I'm afraid it might just be "something the artist thought looked cool", like the origin of the "Amazing Chest".

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Well if sulyvan is a corvin wings don't need explaining.

What if the pilgrim butterflies are like matured pus of man? Hollow -> Deep (red eyes) -> Pus -> butterfly

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Maleh-Vor posted:

Cathedral was pretty good a few weeks ago. You could try Irithyll or catacombs too, since I'd think those are more suited for that level. It might depend more on what level you got your weapon to, though, since I got wildly different results when I went from +6 to +8 (actually from a +3 boss weapon to a +4 one).

In my experience from doing lower level invasions you should pretty much never go over +6 unless you want to go all the way to +10

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'm afraid it might just be "something the artist thought looked cool", like the origin of the "Amazing Chest".

I thought it was mainly a reference to Gustave Doré's Divine Comedy illustrations which share a lot in common with Fromsoft visual motifs but still it would've been nice if it had in-universe meaning.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Nina posted:

I think the pilgrim butterflies have a closer connection to the traveling pilgrims like yoel than regular hollows. The tree people, if they're not just an aesthetic choice to draw your attention elsewhere, are probably more connected to the cursed greatwood/spirit tree stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is the profaned flame the chaos flame? The deep seems to be the abyss.

Either their origins were forgotten or they've become worse.

The profaned flame is not the chaos flame. The profaned flame was created when Yorhm became a lord of cinder. For some reason, this caused the Profaned Capital to become engulfed in a cursed flame that seared flesh and nothing else. Some of the item descriptions say the flame's creation is tied to cursed women, which you can assume to be the daughters of Manus.

So the profaned flame is actually tied to the abyss, but also to the first flame itself. The result is this weird fire that has qualities of both. It never goes out but its a cursed flame that can't be controlled. Or something like that, there's so many holes in the Profaned Capital lore that you're forced to make a bunch of assumptions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't get most of the items in there so I just assumed the Profaned Capital got scorched when Yhorm lit it because the first flame expands out from where you stand to do it in DS1.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

The profaned flame is not the chaos flame. The profaned flame was created when Yorhm became a lord of cinder. For some reason, this caused the Profaned Capital to become engulfed in a cursed flame that seared flesh and nothing else. Some of the item descriptions say the flame's creation is tied to cursed women, which you can assume to be the daughters of Manus.

So the profaned flame is actually tied to the abyss, but also to the first flame itself. The result is this weird fire that has qualities of both. It never goes out but its a cursed flame that can't be controlled. Or something like that, there's so many holes in the Profaned Capital lore that you're forced to make a bunch of assumptions.

Yhorm actually became Lord of Cinder to quiet the Profaned Flame.

Cinders of a Lord posted:

Lonely Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder to put the Profaned Flame to rest, knowing full well that those who spoke of him as lord were quite insincere.
It seems it was really just that his aristocrats were huge assholes.

Eleonora posted:

A strange weapon found among malformed inhabitants of the Profaned Capital.

The Profaned Flame was triggered by the curse of these women, relatives of a certain oracle, but despite their culpability, they went on living, without any cares.
and

Handmaid's Dagger posted:

Dagger used by handmaids of the Profaned Capital. Each successful attack replenishes a slight amount of FP.

It is said that these women took pleasure in wounding others..

Aristocrat Mask posted:

Mask worn by jailers of Irithyll Dungeon. Noblemen delighted in its plump features.

The jailers were among the few survivors inhabiting the Profaned Capital, later serving under Pontiff Sulyvahn. Perhaps the screams emanating from the cells help them forget their old home.

There's also this though:

Profaned Flame posted:

The Profaned Capital was consumed by fire after Yhorm the Giant became a Lord of Cinder.
The fire, born of the sky, is said to have incinerated naught but human flesh.

So his linking the flame and burning everyone to death was more like an Exterminatus or purge to get rid of his lovely sadistic aristocrats and stop the Profaned Flame as well.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabidWeasel posted:

What's a good place for low level invasions? I speedran a character to the DLC to get the millwood battle axe and I want to make people cry. I used to get a lot of hits at ~50ish in the cathedral, is that still a good area?

Road of Sacrifice, Farron Swamp, Cathedral of the Deep and even Undead Settlement should all be solid places for low level pvp.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

Yhorm actually became Lord of Cinder to quiet the Profaned Flame.

It seems it was really just that his aristocrats were huge assholes.

and

There's also this though:

So his linking the flame and burning everyone to death was more like an Exterminatus or purge to get rid of his lovely sadistic aristocrats and stop the Profaned Flame as well.

The bit about the "relatives of a certain Oracle" triggering the profaned flame also seems like a big hint that the profaned flame is the same as the chaos flame. The oracle being Alsanna (or someone descended from her) from DS2.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of lore, have they ever said anything about straight retconning stuff?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

have they ever said anything about

It's FromSoft, I'll give you three guesses.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Nanomachines of the first flame.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

It's FromSoft, I'll give you three guesses.

So we agree that fan theories based on "eh they probably just retconned that (so it now fits my view)" are garbage, then?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The only real retcons were before the games were released. Mainly things like Andre being the firstborn and there being some Clan of Andres or something in DS1 explaining why all the dead blacksmiths are the same model.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I wonder if the profaned flame is supposed to be dark fire? The flame witches with the weirdo staves shoot normal fire though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Maleh-Vor posted:

The only real retcons were before the games were released. Mainly things like Andre being the firstborn and there being some Clan of Andres or something in DS1 explaining why all the dead blacksmiths are the same model.

There's also stuff like fixed mistakes. I know there was a translation error that, in ds1, awkwardly said that gwyn's firstborn lost the annuls of history and was thus exiled. It was supposed to mean that he was exiled for a separate crime and then removed from the annuls of history and that's what the lore has run with since.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that feel when you come across the dead giant blacksmith...

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The Profaned Greatsword is also regular looking fire, so I doubt the Profaned Flame is Black Flame or has anything to do with the Abyss because of that.
However, The Profaned Capital is under Irithyll, which is across a short bridge from the Catacombs, which are right above the Smoldering Lake and Demon Ruins. This puts the Smoldering Lake pretty near the Profaned Capital, and there's the huge ballista that was once operated by (now long dead) giants there too.

It's also odd that most of the Dark Souls 2 references are in Smoldering Lake. Llewellyn Shield is made of Geisteel, from DS2. The Drang set is the Llewellyn set from Dark Souls 2 as well, but you get that at the Cathedral of the Deep. However, there's also the Fume Knight Sword, the Shield of Want, and the Dragonrider Bow. It's also a really hosed up burning part of Ash Lake that's somehow above the Demon Ruins in this world, even though it was the lowest point in Dark Souls 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Genocyber posted:

The bit about the "relatives of a certain Oracle" triggering the profaned flame also seems like a big hint that the profaned flame is the same as the chaos flame. The oracle being Alsanna (or someone descended from her) from DS2.

Yeah "Oracle" makes me wonder if irithyll really is intended to be Loyce, although obviously there are a lot of holes there. There's a cut piece of content that may allude to the Ivory King, but it's tenuous. The Profaned Capital is just a huge mess lorewise