Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Keg posted:

What if the black American was Canadian?

Still waiting for my canuck representation after we were denied Mei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Why even do all this, especially when Ana was just "hey we're working on a long range healer" to "here's details on Ana" to "ok Ana is in the game now."

I'm going to go with the theory that Blizzard wanted to make a character to cater specifically to trolls.

In reality it's probably because they had nothing else ready for Blizzcon.
Seriously, Sombra had a countdown nearly alligned with the Halloween update and they did another countdown instead.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i hope they have some cringeworthy stuff planned for the reveal

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been getting kind of frustrated with the normal group of friends that I play with and am trying to figure out a solution. We usually end up with 4-5 people playing together. They like to take the game somewhat seriously, but prefer to play QP. The problem is that they just don't seem to learn counter picks and will play whatever hero they want, but then they get upset when I recommend a switch or if we get stomped. Then I get frustrated because I try to pick a hero that supports the team or counters the other team.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm just going to start slam-picking Genji. Any other suggestions?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been getting kind of frustrated with the normal group of friends that I play with and am trying to figure out a solution. We usually end up with 4-5 people playing together. They like to take the game somewhat seriously, but prefer to play QP. The problem is that they just don't seem to learn counter picks and will play whatever hero they want, but then they get upset when I recommend a switch or if we get stomped. Then I get frustrated because I try to pick a hero that supports the team or counters the other team.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm just going to start slam-picking Genji. Any other suggestions?

Why should you give a poo poo if they won't? Just get good at genji, he's fun imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because I don't have fun if I'm not at least trying. It's like gambling with fake money. But yeah, I've begun to realize I'm slamming my head against a brick wall here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm going to go with the theory that Blizzard wanted to make a character to cater specifically to trolls.

In reality it's probably because they had nothing else ready for Blizzcon.
Seriously, Sombra had a countdown nearly alligned with the Halloween update and they did another countdown instead.

I figure they thought they'd have her ready by halloween, then realized they were wrong (or the prt changes messed with sombra really bad) and they just replaced the reveal with another timer

they could have handled this whole thing a lot better

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i would not delete any heroes

i would think about deleting tracer but then that would make drythe sad, and i don't want that

and then i would delete mei

I searched my name and found this

:h:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Mei could be from Vancouver, in your headcanon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

If you're good enough to carry them you might be better off just playing your best character.

If you're not then talk to them and sort it out, share your reasoning, point out what actually counters what instead of just expecting them to look it up for themselves (especially because many Overwatch sites are full of misinformation), and if it still doesn't work then either find another group or just accept goofing around in QP on its own terms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: doublepost

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Are they actual friends that you can be honest with and say "hey, I'm not having fun playing with you guys because you're trying to take the game seriously but don't seem to want to learn counter picks or switch characters"

Or are they just internet friends?

If the second one, maybe don't play with them much and when they ask why, be honest, "I'm not having fun playing with you"

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

If they had barely teased anything and suddenly had their Blizzcon hacked by Sombra or something, people would have gone as nuts as they initially did for the ARG. Now they are going to have the stage turn purple and glitch out, triggering the boos of angry nerds across the globe.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Hmmmm nope.

e; I hope they leak Sombra by having her hack the livestream of the event but say literally nothing to the people actually at Blizzcon.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

sleppy posted:

If they had barely teased anything and suddenly had their Blizzcon hacked by Sombra or something, people would have gone as nuts as they initially did for the ARG. Now they are going to have the stage turn purple and glitch out, triggering the boos of angry nerds across the globe.

I'm just waiting for gamer-gate to get mad because they're releasing another woman instead of something respectable like a Furry or a Brony.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kashuno posted:

Hmmmm nope.

e; I hope they leak Sombra by having her hack the livestream of the event but say literally nothing to the people actually at Blizzcon.

That involves effort. I think you overestimate the budget they've set aside to have one guy make a new countdown every three weeks.

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Oxyclean posted:

I would play the *poo poo* out of a Canadian character.

For now I have to live with Lucio's hackey skins.

Lucio could be a Brazilian-Canadian immigrant.

LETS PRETEND.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
If Pharah's dad was an Indigenous Canadian then her Thunderbird skins are way less racist.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
For King Kill Chronicle fans:
https://clips.twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss/FrailGrasshopperDAESuppy

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

He receives some points for repping Junkrat but I've been waiting for book #3 for way too long.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Rothfuss is a terrible shitlord.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

He receives some points for repping Junkrat but I've been waiting for book #3 for way too long.

Why would you even want a third book after the second book was such garbage?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
my prediction is sombra is really really bad and blizz knows it so theyre doing their best to build hype for her

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Andrast posted:

Why would you even want a third book after the second book was such garbage?

Hope. The second book was garbage but I really enjoyed the first. :smith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

At least we know it's coming. GRRM is unlikely to ever get to Dream of Spring.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brannock posted:

At least we know it's coming.

I wouldn't be so sure about that either.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Oh I think watching Jeff Kaplan try to act surprised when Sombra hacks the OW panel will check that box

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Polygon article on banned players:

quote:

Joining the “wall of shame” are players who went by the likes of “Killing you makes me tired,” “The world needs rear end,”

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

my prediction is sombra is really really bad and blizz knows it so theyre doing their best to build hype for her

My prediction is that everyone will claim Sombra is a bad character for trash idiots after two weeks of everybody slampicking her just like everyone said Ana was a terrible character at first until whoops, it turned out that Ana was actually really fuckin good and Sombra will probably be good too, it'll just take another month for people to figure it out.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I thought Ana was amazing when she came out and she quickly became one of my top characters to play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair most Ana players are useless when playing her

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ana had an absolutely miserable effect on the game at release because every match had her, people either played her like a traditional healer and were bad at it or played her like a sniper, and the whole "you need two healers" thing hadn't percolated down to the lower ranks to nearly the extent it has now, so you were basically getting Ana instead of, like, pre-nerf Mercy or Lucio.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It's gonna be hilarious when Sombra is a super omnic controlling boss at the end of new PvE content and not an actual new character you can play

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have run the scenarios in my head while also visualizing several 3d objects and rotating them and i have come up with the most disappointing sombra being an alternate torbjorn turret class

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When you play as Sombra you never leave the spawn and sit there and hack a computer to make all the enemy teams' pings go up to 200ms.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Why even do all this, especially when Ana was just "hey we're working on a long range healer" to "here's details on Ana" to "ok Ana is in the game now."

Because they see the lengths people go to in order to try to find Sombra info and they think it's absolutely hilarious

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ana had an absolutely miserable effect on the game at release because every match had her, people either played her like a traditional healer and were bad at it or played her like a sniper, and the whole "you need two healers" thing hadn't percolated down to the lower ranks to nearly the extent it has now, so you were basically getting Ana instead of, like, pre-nerf Mercy or Lucio.

Sure, but there's a difference between "people are bad at using this character (for now)" and "this character is garbage" which is what people were claiming was the actual problem, not that skilled Ana use hadn't yet been figured out but that Ana was a bad, gimmicky character and anyone using her was an idiot shitfucker on par with Hanzo mains.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure Sombra fights with Matsuda Jiu-Jitsu

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Didn't Ana get buffed an awful lot in those early days? Wasn't that also the 50% discord days and the rez every fight days? I didn't play her a lot at that point to be honest so aren't sure of all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Redundant posted:

Didn't Ana get buffed an awful lot in those early days? Wasn't that also the 50% discord days and the rez every fight days? I didn't play her a lot at that point to be honest so aren't sure of all the details.

that's true, I think she got a bigger magazine size and a higher fire rate