Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

White guilt is an inevitable and harmless step on the journey of learning about privilege and intersectionality. If someone never progresses farther than that that's a problem, but I don't like to condemn it particularly because it's a pretty much unavoidable reaction any decent person would have when learning history from anything but a white dude perspective.
Fair, I think part of this is my personal feelings about guilt and morality in general.

Edit: If I had to articulate it better, I'm not convinced that guilt is a useful emotion. I don't think people should make decisions based on guilt. We should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because we'll feel bad if we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Put plainly, how shocked will the world be when Trump is convicted of child rape and the news has to report he was under investigation for it the entire election but never talked about it?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

FactsAreUseless posted:

I left the others in. I didn't edit it out earlier because I also assumed it was a fake number, so no worries. Posting PMs is bad form, but only against the rules if they contain personal info, and I think it's safe to say it was an accident since almost everyone thought it was a fake number.

They're just random numbers. No worries.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It really does depend on the person. Geography is not necessarily destiny.

We had Democratic Senators from North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, West Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina that are just as good as Senators from Massachusetts or Minnesota.

One of the biggest pain in the rear end Senators on the Democratic side recently was from Connecticut.

And that motherfucker from Connecticut is no longer in the senate... but lets conveniently ignore that fact because it doesn't fit a deranged idiot's world view.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lightning Knight posted:

Why are so many polls coming out good for Hillary but 538 is slowly going down? :ohdear:

Also lmao it figures non-serviam would be a no war but the class war, won't somebody think of the poor white male progressives type? :qq:

Belatedly, I think he said on twitter it's mainly because of that run of crazy +9-12 polls aging out of the aggregation as things settle on +2 to +4.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It really does depend on the person. Geography is not necessarily destiny.

We had Democratic Senators from North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, West Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina that are just as good as Senators from Massachusetts or Minnesota.

One of the biggest pain in the rear end Senators on the Democratic side recently was from Connecticut.

The "good" senators you are talking about were in less partisan times.

Also the good senators from Dakota were the ones who killed Public Option.

(WV wasn't a red state until 2008, during which time we've had Joe Manchin -- who I personally have an affinity for, but disagree with on almost everything.)

But the larger point to McMagic is that he thinks that absolute best possible outcome is the only "acceptable" or "good" outcome, despite it being really, really unlikely to have happened regardless of who the candidates were and that specific supposition "but if only it wasn't HRC at the top of the ticket" or his other dumb "but if only she'd thrown the slant on 3 and 2" are both pointless and stupid.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 2, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

White guilt is an inevitable and harmless step on the journey of learning about privilege and intersectionality. If someone never progresses farther than that that's a problem, but I don't like to condemn it particularly because it's a pretty much unavoidable reaction any decent person would have when learning history from anything but a white dude perspective.

Yeah, that is how I try to treat it for myself. The guilt is an instigator for reflection and action, not the end goal itself.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Covok posted:

Put plainly, how shocked will the world be when Trump is convicted of child rape and the news has to report he was under investigation for it the entire election but never talked about it?

What is the statute of limitations on rape cases in that jurisdiction though?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Kander's not going to go along with a lot of the more progressive left poo poo. (He might actually still win that race.)

You have zero idea how this works, clearly. When you have 3-6 people who are all pretty similar ideologically, they tend to do things together. So instead of having just like two or three of them who won't go along with further left poo poo, you've now got five or six of them.

You have such a hardon to argue with me about every single thing that I post that you're literally arguing that it's not better for the democrats to have more seats in the senate rather than less. lol

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

CNN refuses to cover Trump rape, but will heavily discuss Bill Clinton's faux rear end son.

The latter is probably more entertaining.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

I have a fb friend saying the emails turned some republican senators from Hillary to trump. Is there any that actually claimed this?
They were probably waiting for any excuse to do so, so that they didn't look quite so craven.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not sure I understand. In Missouri, I'm pretty sure Jason Kander isn't one who's going to be a huge pain in the rear end if he wins. He seems pretty in line with the Democratic platform.
Is Manchin still in the senate? He of commercial-where-he-literally-shoots-Obamacare-with-a-rifle fame?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Non Serviam posted:

What is the statute of limitations on rape cases in that jurisdiction though?

Well, he's on trial for it so it hasn't expired. Like, the trial is set.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Teddybear posted:

Lisa Bloom is the daughter of Gloria Allred, a long-time legal commentator, and an accomplished attorney in her own right, so it's not like she's some random attorney fresh out of the Hollywood Correspondence Law School.

She also represented the anonymous twitter user who James Woods sued alleging libel when the twitter user called Woods a 'cocaine addict.' Case ended up getting dropped when the user died during litigation. :smith:

Yeah it was horrible that Woods did that, but Psychosis is a horrible affliction.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Regarding Non Serviam's whole "if you're ~A Black~ I'm sorry but if you're not, shut up" thing - it's an enormous relief when I see someone besides me and the other black Leper's Colony regulars pipe up about racism, and I notice and appreciate that over the past few months more and more people have felt comfortable jumping in and being good allies. It means a lot, thank you all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Indiana voters will be asked the very important question "Should hunting and fishing rights be enshrined in the state constitution?" this year.

There are currently no challenges against hunting or fishing in the state. Indiana GOP want to add it to the constitution "just cuz".

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Black church in MS burned, I wonder if well-intentioned Republicans will donate to repair it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: If I had to articulate it better, I'm not convinced that guilt is a useful emotion. I don't think people should make decisions based on guilt. We should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because we'll feel bad if we don't.

Well yeah, people should do the right thing solely because its the right thing, but a lot of people don't. In a perfect world we could advocate for moral action on the virtue of it being moral. Unfortunately, in this world I think sometimes we need to use subjective emotion to give ourselves and others a "push" in the right direction.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Covok posted:

That's a lawsuit though. That's a civil matter.
Prison would require a criminal trial.

Edit. A conviction, I mean.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Northjayhawk posted:

Here though race is an issue and you have the unfortunate angry black man stereotype so its probably not a good idea to go there here, but people used to it on other forums and probably not even thinking about race don't realize that.

It's also quite understandable to be angry about the issues discussed in D&D. If someone is angrily making good points, they're making good points.

(Didn't catch the start of this, so no idea if Crain was actually making good points or what.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Democrats are already looking to lose the senate in 2018, and you're a loving idiot on your other point.

Yes but you see if Bernie was running they'd win more seats and blue dogs would fall in line and the party would definitely go along with whatever Sanders says because he's such a great leader! I'm sure his followers won't just fizzle out like every other populist-of-the-year politician's movements have. Right?

Also somehow the wifebeating shady businessman would've done better against Rubio in the FL senate race.

Arrrthritis posted:

Can we have corncobs be the new dumbass avatar?

Modify the Stupid Newbie image to be Stupid Corncobs?

The little (?) could be a tiny wint Trump picture

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

It's a civil case

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Vote Trump is a trending topic. Let's see what's being posted.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yes it has, the bus video was a big hit in his polling. It's just that the decision voters are making isn't "Trump or Clinton?" it's "Trump or No One?" or "Clinton or No One?" and people who are likely voters are likely to, well, vote.
The sexual assault stuff may have had a small impact initially, but in the long-term it's done nothing, as we can see from the current round of polling. He's not losing support because of that stuff anymore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Regarding Non Serviam's whole "if you're ~A Black~ I'm sorry but if you're not, shut up" thing - it's an enormous relief when I see someone besides me and the other black Leper's Colony regulars pipe up about racism, and I notice and appreciate that over the past few months more and more people have felt comfortable jumping in and being good allies. It means a lot, thank you all.

I will be honest, I never jumped in before because I was worried it would be patronizing to do so. But then gfsincere shamed me super hard about it a few days ago and I realized I was wrong. So all respect to gfsincere if he is reading for motivating me to try and be a better ally.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The "good" senators you are talking about were in less partisan times.

Also the good senators from Dakota were the ones who killed Public Option.

(WV wasn't a red state until 2008, during which time we've had Joe Manchin -- who I personally have an affinity for, but disagree with on almost everything.)

Don't forget Feinstein who is a democrat from the ultra liberal state of CA and also a horrible senator on basically everything progressive.

I would still take 50 Feinstein's over 1 Collins / Murkowski / Heller / Kirk because majorities matter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Regardless, headline would still be "Court ruled Trump raped a child."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So by breaking her silence do they mean breaking anonymity or just reading a prepared statement.

Because if he victim has any history of mental illness this is a dead story.

It is, unfortunately, a dead story no matter what. Her breaking her anonymity this close to the election is going to be viewed with incredible suspicion and if she so much as stole a Twizzlers as a baby she'll be discredited, mocked and attacked as a liar.

If her story is true then she's in for a horror-fest over something that happened and if it isn't then she's still in for a horror-fest but she's not going to actually be taken seriously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the chairs, they obviously need a fresh coat of paint, and they're sitting out in the driveway, as if they were about to be painted.

And coincidentally, someone else used black spray paint to vandalize his driveway with a curiously phrased message.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Law-Talking Guys in the thread: I support abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes, but am I being a dumb layman? Is there a monkey's paw downside to that i'm not seeing?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

read like literally any book written on race in the last century or so

lol, is this similar to the "just google it" defense of a position?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Crows Turn Off posted:

The sexual assault stuff may have had a small impact initially, but in the long-term it's done nothing, as we can see from the current round of polling. He's not losing support because of that stuff anymore.

I think he has though, he took a huge hit among women that has not recovered. Most of his new support aren't from women going "eh, I'm over it, fine grab my pussy", its Republicans who were thinking about Johnson going "lol, never mind, I'm not voting Gary, MAGA!"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

You have such a hardon to argue with me about every single thing that I post that you're literally arguing that it's not better for the democrats to have more seats in the senate rather than less. lol

No, that's not what I am arguing with you about and that you cannot understand that is such a microcosm of why you're constantly being told you're an idiot.

You: "You think having 50-50 senate is an acceptable outcome"
Me: "51/49, but yes. that's fine."
You: "No its not because puppies and rainbows mean it should 55-56"
Me: "That wasn't ever going to happen."
You: "Yes it was, and it's the only outcome I will broker as being good because it would minimize people who I don't like."
Me: "No, it wouldn't because the people being elected in those races to get to that are very similar to the people you just said you don't like."
You: ":qq:"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Covok posted:

Regardless, headline would still be "Court ruled Trump raped a child."

I feel that "Trump engages in misconduct with Women" is dog bites man and isn't changing anyone's minds.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crows Turn Off posted:

The sexual assault stuff does, however, provide the context and character that this claim today will be judged against.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spacetoaster posted:

Under the deafening popping sounds a thousand kernels cried out: Why won't you educate meeeeeeee?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Law-Talking Guys in the thread: I support abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes, but am I being a dumb layman? Is there a monkey's paw downside to that i'm not seeing?

Statutory is the only one that comes to mind immediately if there aren't already romeo & juliet laws on the books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

No its the "there are entire schools of thought on this issue you could explore on your own time and I am not gonna waste my time dragging you through race theory 101 when its obvious you are not actually interested in learning about it in the first place" defense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I feel that "Trump engages in misconduct with Women" is dog bites man and isn't changing anyone's minds.

Said women was 13 years old at the time.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

greatn posted:

It's a civil case

Trump will have two choices if he goes to trial over this. He either settles or obliterates the accuser.
His lawyers know that burden of proof on civil cases is lower, so unless they want to risk losing they'd have to destroy the plaintiff.

Huffington Post ran an article on the suit, that is basically full of the kinds of things that would be useless in criminal court, but that you can probably use on a civil case http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10619944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the chairs, they obviously need a fresh coat of paint, and they're sitting out in the driveway, as if they were about to be painted.

And coincidentally, someone else used black spray paint to vandalize his driveway with a curiously phrased message.

Just to play devil's advocate... maybe he was going to paint the chairs, left the can out by the chairs and someone walking by saw the flag and decided to be opportunistic.

• Locked thread