Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

julian assflange posted:

Congratulations Toyota 2017 WRC champions

Now come on, surely Hyundai's 11th all new car in about 3 years will finally be any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked that Hyundai were forced into running a five-door for some weird reason resulting in them accidentally making the first acceptable looking WRC car in about a decade.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks official, VW out of WRC. http://www.racer.com/international/world-rally/item/136007-volkswagen-to-pull-out-of-wrc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The WRC is bad.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time to make Rally America the new top tier worldwide rally series.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bentai posted:

Time to make Rally America the new top tier worldwide rally series.

It's in just as much trouble and there's currently a breakaway series because the competitors got fed up with it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
ERC is doing ok from what I've heard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back group b

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

iospace posted:

Bring back group b

The 2017 cars are supposedly gonna be like Group B's with more downforce (which is bad)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Bring back group b

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

The 2017 cars are supposedly gonna be like Group B's with more downforce (which is bad)

Isn't it like just 30 more horsepower? And they're still locked into the stupid borderline homologated drivetrain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Im going to be crucified for this but they should ban AWD in WRC and force manufacturers to bring production models to the table. If you tell GM they just need to make a run of 1,000 Chevy whatever-the-gently caress-rebadged-daewoo with a hot engine bolted in and they can be running in WRC I can't see them turning that down.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Isn't it like just 30 more horsepower? And they're still locked into the stupid borderline homologated drivetrain.

I'm not sure to be honest. But I like your no AWD rule.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The future of rallying is rallycross. And Dakar, because what else can we watch in January?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rallycross is never as good as you expect it to be. i'd rather watch rallying, assuming it's actually good, which WRC isn't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Turbo AWD cars are allowed if you make a thousand turbo AWD models. Per year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Turbo AWD cars are allowed if you make a thousand turbo AWD models. Per year.

Nobody wants to make them though, Xtrac has supplied most the championship winning teams I think. It really is a farce, there's no road relevance when Citroen just goes to Xtrac and buys an AWD drivetrain to stick in their bubble car shells.

If you want homologation back I'm convinced you have to ban AWD, nobody is going to buy into the concept unless you do that. Instead of these stupid bespoke bubble car platforms you just get them to rummage through the parts bin, sell a thousand or so cars and you're ready to race. Everybody will save money and you'd get more manufacturers willing to jump into the sport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 1, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Pretty certain if you banned AWD, each and every last one of remaining WRC fans would outright boycott any event and sponsor that participates in them out of sheer disgust.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

Pretty certain if you banned AWD, each and every last one of remaining WRC fans would outright boycott any event and sponsor that participates in them out of sheer disgust.

and i'm sure WRC would mourn the loss of those eight fans

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Bring back F2 kit cars. :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rally is very cool but the FIA is very bad and can ruin even the most naturally cool things with incredible ease

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Citroen made so little of their rally success. A C4 with white wheels and some decals. That's it. Shame on them.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

jammyozzy posted:

Bring back F2 kit cars. :getin:

WRC-3 already exists

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

Rally summary: WRC is boring, watch ERC instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Meanwhile in series' that aren't slowly dying, Ford made a new Mustang GT4 and it looks cool. GT4 as a class looks super healthy right now.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 2, 2016

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What's GT4 again?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gret posted:

What's GT4 again?

GT3 with less downforce, no ABS, and less powerful engines. They are also ostensibly cheaper as well. They fit about with the top class of the Continental Tire Sports Car Championship.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

What's GT4 again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT4_(Stuttgart)

hope this helps, please fax me IMMEDIATELY if u have any questions or concerns

do not call as it riles up my pets

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

no bones about it posted:

GT3 with less downforce, no ABS, and less powerful engines. They are also ostensibly cheaper as well. They fit about with the top class of the Continental Tire Sports Car Championship.

Also runs as GTS in Pirelli World Challenge, and the GT4 European Series that SRO runs as a support/feeder series for Blancpain GT.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

no bones about it posted:

Next year I think the top class of Conti will be GT4 cars. IMSA is changing like every class it seems in all series. Conti getting GT4 and TCR cars, Lites getting LMP3, and the new P2/DPi cars.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

Also runs as GTS in Pirelli World Challenge, and the GT4 European Series that SRO runs as a support/feeder series for Blancpain GT.

And British GT is a multiclass GT3/GT4 series . GT4 is pretty popular.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
More juicy IMSA DPi rumors:
Penske mulling a return to IMSA in an Oreca-Honda DPi

https://www.racer.com/imsa/item/136056-imsa-penske-closing-in-on-sportscar-return

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I guess now we know why Montoya was willing to sign on to an Indy-only deal with Penske.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

As GT3s become spaceships, GT4 becomes the heir apparent.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

As GT3s become spaceships, GT4 becomes the heir apparent.

and thus, the ever present circle of sportscar life begins anew

"GT4 is just too expensive and there are only a handful at lemans, GT5 will save us all" - 2020
"GTDubstep is just too costoso and there are only a puņado at lemans, GTManga will save us all" - 2040

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 3, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

"GTManga will save us all" - 2040

Our savior.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its the perfect place to park your 'slightly too old for Indycar but still have years of competitive driving in them' drivers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its the perfect place to park your 'slightly too old for Indycar but still have years of competitive driving in them' drivers

Also your 'rich enough to buy a seat but not so egotistical to demand the coolest car' drivers. I think there's a woman in the European GT4 Series who's a former Playboy model and the car is sponsored by Playboy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2017 ligier testing with the new Gibson engine. Sounds pretty neat (the other 2 cars are P3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRbcvSXCpJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So Lada are leaving WTCC at the end of the season, meaning next year will be Honda and Volvo left in the championship. Can we finally put a bullet in this series now?

• Locked thread