Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nope.

To white nationalists she is the literal anti-christ.

Like i don't think you realize how much more visceral hatred is out there for Clinton vs Obama on the far right.

To be fair the anti-Christ is the Christian boogeyman. As I understand it there are a finite amount of people who could be the anti-Christ yet I hear people get tarred with it every few years when those arguments hit mainstream media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
But... do blacks rule?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Non Serviam posted:

Trump will have two choices if he goes to trial over this. He either settles or obliterates the accuser.
His lawyers know that burden of proof on civil cases is lower, so unless they want to risk losing they'd have to destroy the plaintiff.

Huffington Post ran an article on the suit, that is basically full of the kinds of things that would be useless in criminal court, but that you can probably use on a civil case http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10619944

The Huffington Post article is by her lawyer, Lisa Bloom.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

Statutory is the only one that comes to mind immediately if there aren't already romeo & juliet laws on the books.

Romeo & Juliet laws seem good to me and I support them, but whoa do I feel unqualified to have any law thoughts the more I learn about the world

Actually my entire adulthood has pretty much been a quickly-shrinking window of things I think I have an informed opinion on. It's pretty much down to like racism, feathers on velociraptors, and the in-field fly rule.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Law-Talking Guys in the thread: I support abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes, but am I being a dumb layman? Is there a monkey's paw downside to that i'm not seeing?

It makes the he said / she said cases with no/little physical evidence even harder to win as time causes memory to fail and change.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Law-Talking Guys in the thread: I support abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes, but am I being a dumb layman? Is there a monkey's paw downside to that i'm not seeing?

The idea is that evidence becomes harder to acquire after years. DNA changed that, so you might have a point.
Witness testimony would be easier to destroy in court though, since you can't possibly claim you remember everything years and years after the fact.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

But... do blacks rule?

They were actually trying to write: Blacks...teel chairs Rule but the driveway was too narrow.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I think in general it's a good idea. Look at the situation with Dennis Hastert; he had to be convicted on hush money charges instead of on worse crimes.

If we were still in an era where hypnotic regression and/or 'recovered' memories were considered reasonable evidence, I might be a lot more hesitant, here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, that's not what I am arguing with you about and that you cannot understand that is such a microcosm of why you're constantly being told you're an idiot.

You: "You think having 50-50 senate is an acceptable outcome"
Me: "51/49, but yes. that's fine."
You: "No its not because puppies and rainbows mean it should 55-56"
Me: "That wasn't ever going to happen."
You: "Yes it was, and it's the only outcome I will broker as being good because it would minimize people who I don't like."
Me: "No, it wouldn't because the people being elected in those races to get to that are very similar to the people you just said you don't like."
You: ":qq:"
You basically have these arguments in your own head where you seem to pretend that I said what you want me to have said and not what I actually said, then you pass judgement and be a smug jackass about it based on the argument that you won in your head based, in no way, on what I actually said. But if that makes you feel good about yourself...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feinne posted:

It's the standard Republican refrain, longing for a past that you vaguely recall as being much better than the present.

Make no mistake, it was genuinely better 40-50 years ago if you lived here (and also happened to be white). If you didn't go to college out of HS (few did), jobs at the mills were plentiful and you could get a really amazing high paying union job and work for the rest of your life (unless those mills close down.....wait a second!) Hell, back then the jobs were so plentiful that there were plenty of jobs for everyone, black, white, immigrants, etc. Its amazing what prosperity does to help promote racial harmony. In my town, race relations are probably worse now than 40 years ago since all the whites have fled the city limits and now virtual segregation exists along city/township lines and we're getting a lot of "my old neighborhood was nice before the blacks came in" which is not only racist as gently caress but patently untrue. Your old neighborhood was nice until all the jobs left, there was more empty houses than there were people left in the city to live in them, driving down prices and opening the homes up to poc who were previously not able to buy.

They literally don't realize that rich white people like Trump took their jobs, not Mexicans, not "the blacks", not Muslims.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Winner is Jew posted:

Don't forget Feinstein who is a democrat from the ultra liberal state of CA and also a horrible senator on basically everything progressive.

I would still take 50 Feinstein's over 1 Collins / Murkowski / Heller / Kirk because majorities matter.
It's like how DWS thinks pot is a gateway drug and yet I still would rather have her in her cozy Florida district than some random (R) in the House.

(and that's even given that I would have voted for Tim "batshit crazy anti-Iran deal" Canova over DWS because I dislike her that much)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, apparently they are.

https://www.gofundme.com/repair-the-hopewell-baptist-church

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Obama making a speech is amazing. :unsmith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is there any hope for Trump supporters or will 10 million people continue to believe online blogs over journalism until they nuke/systematically permit genocide and have to consider the severity of their crimes?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Romeo & Juliet laws seem good to me and I support them, but whoa do I feel unqualified to have any law thoughts the more I learn about the world

Actually my entire adulthood has pretty much been a quickly-shrinking window of things I think I have an informed opinion on. It's pretty much down to like racism, feathers on velociraptors, and the in-field fly rule.

That's cool, I'm not even a law goon (engineering plans are technically legal papers though) but I have a voracious need to learn about everything.

Also, once I got the basics of western philosophy down law was super easy to understand.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Actually my entire adulthood has pretty much been a quickly-shrinking window of things I think I have an informed opinion on.

It's not what you know, or don't know, it's about figuring out how much you know you don't know.

If you're walking down a trail in the forest and see a mushroom, it doesn't really matter if you know what species of mushroom it is and if it's safe. What does matter is that you know that you don't know. You know that lots of mushrooms are super poisonous and that it's better to just not touch it.

We talk about this stuff all the time in the IT forums, a lot of the best people go through a phase where they really feel like idiots. Those people are the ones smart enough to know when they need to get help or do more research.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah, people should do the right thing solely because its the right thing, but a lot of people don't. In a perfect world we could advocate for moral action on the virtue of it being moral. Unfortunately, in this world I think sometimes we need to use subjective emotion to give ourselves and others a "push" in the right direction.

While I generally agree with FAU philosophically speaking, I'm inclined to agree with TB and yourself here. I'm more interested in rhetoric that gets results than perfect philosophical consistency I guess :shrug:

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
Weird how "white guilt" is used to describe white people who actually want to engage with the history of racial relations and not, say, the white people who try to shut down those conversations because they don't want to feel bad for benefitting from racism. Maybe deflections about "white guilt" are just a way of prioritizing white discomfort ahead of the material reality of PoC lives. IDK guys

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

You basically have these arguments in your own head where you seem to pretend that I said what you want me to have said and not what I actually said, then you pass judgement and be a smug jackass about it based on the argument that you won in your head based, in no way, on what I actually said. But if that makes you feel good about yourself...

You said all that.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

theflyingorc posted:

The Huffington Post article is by her lawyer, Lisa Bloom.

All the things she said would come into play in a civil case though. Trump would like to avoid that.

I don't know the details of the case, although the idea of Trump having child sex slaves" sounds on par with "Michele Remembers" (or at least that's what I'd like to believe). I'd like to see what evidence comes out though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Covok posted:

Is there any hope for Trump supporters or will 10 million people continue to believe online blogs over journalism until they nuke/systematically permit genocide and have to consider the severity of their crimes?

Read The Post Modern Condition by Jean Francois Lyotard. This is the inevitable result of the direction of our culture.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Obama making a speech is amazing. :unsmith:

Ain't nothing that can calm me down like A: Obama and B: Q Polls showing nothing really changed due to EMAILS.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Read The Post Modern Condition by Jean Francois Lyotard. This is the inevitable result of the direction of our culture.

Any cure?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I feel that "Trump engages in misconduct with Women Child" is dog bites man and isn't changing anyone's minds.

That might have legs.

I mean, not this close to the election. Although "Trump! Child rape!" might crowd out "Hillary! Emails!" for a few days, which might be nice.

And then, you know, maybe a woman gets a small measure of justice for being sexually abused. I mean, it's a long shot, but it could happen.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Meanwhile, in non-slap fight:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/793901062944153600

:yikes:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No its the "there are entire schools of thought on this issue you could explore on your own time and I am not gonna waste my time dragging you through race theory 101 when its obvious you are not actually interested in learning about it in the first place" defense.

Well just go ahead and say that to begin with instead of being a complete rear end in a top hat about it and not even bothering to name a book to read.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Trump up 44-41 in Virginia

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/hampton-university-26636

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: If I had to articulate it better, I'm not convinced that guilt is a useful emotion. I don't think people should make decisions based on guilt. We should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because we'll feel bad if we don't.

I think of guilt as analogous to pain. It is useful... when it's coming from the right source. Guilt is our indicator that we've transgressed against society, and like pain it's useful when it's a motivator for action. "Take your hand off that hot stove." "Don't shove people into hot stoves." But sometimes you just have something trip the alarms that isn't your fault - injured nerve endings, or ostracism for being some kind of minority - and you end up feeling pain/guilt about something you can't and probably shouldn't change.

Sometimes your dumb brain can send you pain/guilt even for things you should be doing, that you have to fight through and feel better afterwards. It hurts to stretch out your sore muscles. It guilts to go on your first same-sex date when you've been raised to think gayness is a sin.

But numbing all your pain just makes you more likely to hurt yourself, and if you could switch off your ability to guilt you'd make it easy to hurt others.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Onto the pile with thee

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hopHeadless posted:

Weird how "white guilt" is used to describe white people who actually want to engage with the history of racial relations and not, say, the white people who try to shut down those conversations because they don't want to feel bad for benefitting from racism. Maybe deflections about "white guilt" are just a way of prioritizing white discomfort ahead of the material reality of PoC lives. IDK guys

As TB alluded to by talking about how white guilt can be a problem if one never moves past that stage, there is some truth in the idea that white guilt can deny agency to POC by making POC accessories in the story of the white persons story of moral development.

You see this in the Noble Savage/Last Samurai/Magical Negro stories and archetypes. The plight of the POC/foreigner is only truly notable for how it improves whitey.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you're still on the Trump Train after all this time there could be literal video of him helping ISIS execute folks and you'll still walk into that booth and say "Better than Hillary!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/katherinemiller/status/793911191039012864

Is this real life?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

That one lying out so far it's practically pluto.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone going to the Arizona Rally today?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Covok posted:

a recovering economy that produces actual decent jobs will take away alot of trump votes. The hardcore racists will always remain, but a good chunk are just dumb rednecks who are pissed they have to live on welfare, a demographic that has been the main target of xenophobic rhetoric since the 1920's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

If you're still on the Trump Train after all this time there could be literal video of him helping ISIS execute folks and you'll still walk into that booth and say "Better than Hillary!"

Her negatives are giving people excuses to go vote for Trump and IDK what he could do at this point to lose them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

Well just go ahead and say that to begin with instead of being a complete rear end in a top hat about it and not even bothering to name a book to read.

It's trite but how about Between the World and Me. It's contemporary enough that you cannot deflect it's criticisms as being non reflective of contemporary race relations.

Edit: trite to recommend it, not saying the book is trite. The book owns.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spacetoaster posted:

Cater *pop* to *pop* meeeee *pop*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Any cure?

Totalitarianism or a global EMP.

Take your pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Her negatives are giving people excuses to go vote for Trump and IDK what he could do at this point to lose them.

Suddenly turn into a minority or a woman.

• Locked thread