Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Listen to Limetown for sure. it was recommended to me in the Night Vale thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Limetown is probably the best serialized fiction podcast that I've listened to so far, (still in the middle of listening to Magnus Archives, which is also pretty good). It's extremely well-paced, got some great voice acting and voice design, and has a really interesting premise that delivered when you get to the reveal. So I second that recommend. My only nitpick is that I was hoping for (general spoiler for Limetown, don't mouse over it if you haven't finished it) more of a horror story rather than the science fiction bent. But the way they explained the disappearance of Limetown residences and why Limetown needed to be covered up is pretty drat good because of how mundane it is. It's good old fashioned human nature

They are still working on Season 2, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Season 2 is an eventuality yes. The project is currently on hold because it's been picked up to be a TV miniseries or something.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, just did a bit of research myself, on the Limetown reddit, the creators also mentioned that they are working on an entirely new podcast, as well as that TV pilot, which should be good I suppose since these guys are obviously talented.

EDIT

Listening to Magnus Archive is freaking me out, in a good way. There just something about the way the narrator delivered the stories and the random nature of each of the stories that's getting to me. I consumed quite a few horror media (movies, games,etc) and not all of them get to me but when it does, it usually stay. The

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
...I just realized, I was totally wrong about the Order of Saint Benedict w/r/t Eastern Orthodoxy - it's just a different Order of Saint Benedict, ie: not the Catholic one.:downs:

Mokinokaro posted:

Listen to Limetown for sure. it was recommended to me in the Night Vale thread

Yeah, it's genuinely superb. Much better acting than Black Tapes IMO.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 25, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Limetown is being downloaded, along with The Magnus Archive and We're Alive, as suggested by Reddit. Think I'm set for a while!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I just finished Limetown (was great) and noticed the release dates for the episodes. Boy am I glad I didn't find out about this as it first came out, because waiting a month or so and getting only a 1 minute long episode? Rough. At least it appears to pick up as it went on

Tweak fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 25, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm not done with it yet but Big Data doesn't suck. It's genre aware but not laugh out loud funny. It does the investigative podcaster bit better than black tapes / Tanis and knows its protagonists are stupid.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

New Leaf posted:

Limetown is being downloaded, along with The Magnus Archive and We're Alive, as suggested by Reddit. Think I'm set for a while!

We're Alive is dumb but I had fun with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Drunk Tomato posted:

We're Alive is dumb but I had fun with it.

We're Alive should have ended sooner than it did. After a point it felt like they were running out of ideas. And the fact that what 16 years after the apocalypse (small spoilers on who lives/dies) Burt is still alive and well training the troops seems really off.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Len posted:

We're Alive should have ended sooner than it did. After a point it felt like they were running out of ideas. And the fact that what 16 years after the apocalypse (small spoilers on who lives/dies) Burt is still alive and well training the troops seems really off.

Season three went right off the rails. I liked the first two very much, though. I thought they were fun.

Tanis and Black Tapes really suffer if you listen to them as they're released. I binged them both and enjoyed the heck out of them, but as soon as i was caught up and beholden to their release schedule, I had a hard time following them.

Black Tapes was excellent, though. Very enthused for December to roll around again.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I guess I just like the world of Tanis more than The Black Tapes. They're both strikingly similar, though - weirdness in the world, portals to a different land, people going crazy and doing things they wouldn't normally do, weird cults, CEOs of mega-corporations..

I listened to the first half of Limetown episode 1 and decided I better wait for my wife and listen to it together on a road trip - she'd eat that sort of thing up, and I want to be surprised right along with her.

I started The Magnus Archives and I'm really digging it so far. It's like listening to really good ghost stories. The narrator is kinda funny to me.. he's not just reading the entries as an archivist, he changes the tone and speed of his voice and really acts out the emotions and inflections of the first hand accounts.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I started The Magnus Archives and I'm really digging it so far. It's like listening to really good ghost stories. The narrator is kinda funny to me.. he's not just reading the entries as an archivist, he changes the tone and speed of his voice and really acts out the emotions and inflections of the first hand accounts.
I particularly liked that in Ep 14 Piecemeal where he's reading the statement of a violent thug.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Finishing Ep112 of TBT now. Coralee's alive?! What the gently caress is happening here? :f5: Even if it's not the greatest and some of the acting is definitely cringeworthy, the storyline has me hook, line, and sinker. I'm discovering a love for radio drama now!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

D34THROW posted:

Finishing Ep112 of TBT now. Coralee's alive?! What the gently caress is happening here? :f5: Even if it's not the greatest and some of the acting is definitely cringeworthy, the storyline has me hook, line, and sinker. I'm discovering a love for radio drama now!

Yeah the acting isn't great, but I really only care about the story. Strand is pretty consistently good, but a lot of the extras are pretty bad. Not atrocious, but no great. Community Theater level.

That's one of the things I prefer about Tanis - to me TBT seems 100% scripted, but Tanis some of the interactions and awkwardness with Nic makes it feel more off the cuff, like they knew the premise but weren't given word for word how to say it. The conversations with him and Geoff are always pretty solid. Even MK comes around after a while.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

New Leaf posted:

If you like them, try Tanis instead. It's Nic narrating instead of Alex. There's an early interview that has some pretty cringeworthy acting, but I think overall it's a superior show. I'm a recent adopter of both of them (started and finished Tanis before even touching The Black Tapes - and just finished that on the way to work this morning).

I'm downloading The Magnus Archives right now. I've been a long time Welcome to Night Vale listener, and my wife and I really enjoyed Alice Isn't Dead. Any other good recommendations in the "creepy podcast" genre along the same lines of all these?

Small Town Horror is similar. Guy decides to go back to his home town to look into the weird stuff that happened there.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I gave up on Tanis midway through season two, when it felt like they were just going through a Wikipedia page of conspiracies and mysteries and throwing them in. Apparently Tanis is connected to Charles Manson, the Voynich Manuscript, and 9/11. Preposterous- Tanis can't melt steel beams.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Going to post this comment from the writer of the Magnus Archives, in terms of his thoughts about how he approaches writing the story, and vaguely what can come to expect. No real spoilers for upcoming episodes (though some minor spoilers for season 1). Definitely worth a read though

http://rustyquill.proboards.com/thread/210/file-40-consumed?page=2

quote:

1) One of the main tightropes to be walked with this series is the one stretched between Horror and Mystery. It's a common problem with stories like this, because Horror and Mystery work FANTASTICALLY well together at the beginning, as both thrive on the unknown, but as any story goes on they become bitter enemies. If you reveal too much then the horror loses all its power: the sinister, terrifying presences simply become characters with known qualities and motivations. But if you keep too much hidden, then the audience you've taunted with shreds of mystery feels cheated, because they're never going to actually get any real answers.

I have been trying to balance this, of course, but it's always going to fall a bit too far either side for some: as the series goes on it will lose a few of those who only want pure horror and feel that too much of the fear has gone from evil beings that are now too well know; and it will lose some who are only invested in the mystery, and grow frustrated with slow reveals, or that there will always be some dark corners that aren't illuminated.

Now, one of the questions that will always be left as late as possible to answer is to "Why?", because knowing motives and plans is one of the quickest ways to lose the fear. It's one of the reasons most classic movie monsters have no discernible motive beyond "Murder" or (in a few nuanced cases) "Vengeance". With Jane Prentiss, the main question that is still left unanswered is the "Why?". We now know more or less who she was, what happened to her, what she was doing and how she was stopped, we just don't know why. And I'm afraid we won't for a long time.

Unlike many of the other questions, the various "Why"s of the Archive are going to be a long time coming, not only because it helps preserve the horror, but also because most of them tie into a central aspect of the MA world, which is going to be gradually coming into focus over the next few seasons. If the slow burn frustrates you more than it intrigues you, then that's a completely fair reaction, although I'm obviously sad you feel that way.

All I can say is that eventually you will know what is going on, and I hope you stick with us through the journey.

2) There is a story at the centre of The Magnus Archvies: the story of the Archivist himself. The rest makes up a world with many, many other stories within it. Some are the stories inherent in the statements themselves, others are stories that are hinted at across several statements, or simply lurk in the background informing others. Many of them cross over and intersect, and most of them will touch the Archivist at some point in one way or another, but they remain fundamentally different stories. What I think of as threads.

Trying to tie them all together into a single narrative is only going to bring frustration, because they're not. It's not much of a spoiler to say to anyone wondering, for example, how the Lukas family fits in the story of Jane Prentiss, that they don't. Their stories are in the same world, and may conceivably brush against each other, but they're very distinct. What this means is that many of these threads will have resolution at different times, but most of them have plenty more to say. Indeed, because of the nature of statement chronology, it may be that we discover the resolution of a thread, then later discover its origin.

Now, it is a fair criticism that I concentrated on setting up these threads in Season 1 almost to the exclusion of resolving any of them. This is true, and I may have been a little bit overeager to establish the depth of the world at the cost of giving enough actual closure. I'm hoping to address this a bit more in Season 2 and beyond, where threads will be resolved, as well as opened. That said, as I mentioned above, in most cases, even when they're resolved, you're going to need to wait a while until there's a definitive answer to the "Why".

There will be clues, though. There are always clues.

I for one am looking forward to it :)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I'm about done with Small Town Horror. I put up with the bad voice acting and crummy music for the first season but this season's plot is so meandering and dull that I just can't anymore. I couldn't even finish episode 3.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you guys found anything that has that "Evil Dead" feel, where it really toes the line between Comedy and Horror.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Have you guys found anything that has that "Evil Dead" feel, where it really toes the line between Comedy and Horror.

Night Vale's the closest I've found personally, but how much horror in it varies by episode.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Turtlicious posted:

Maaaaybe King Falls AM. It's way more comedy than horror, but can get creepy on occasion. It starts out very similar to Night Vale but pretty quickly becomes its own thing. All the characters who call into the show are pretty great.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LordZoric posted:

Maaaaybe King Falls AM. It's way more comedy than horror, but can get creepy on occasion. It starts out very similar to Night Vale but pretty quickly becomes its own thing. All the characters who call into the show are pretty great.

Basically this. Two or so episodes back had a bit that was some of the scariest audio drama I've heard.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I think I'm about done with Small Town Horror. I put up with the bad voice acting and crummy music for the first season but this season's plot is so meandering and dull that I just can't anymore. I couldn't even finish episode 3.
Yeah, it's just not doing anything. And the guy sounds like he has a headcold or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, it's just not doing anything. And the guy sounds like he has a headcold or something.

I was thinking a mouth full of cotton balls.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Writer of The Magnus Archives recommends Knifepoint Horror and says it was one of the main inspirations for his show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Does anyone else have volume issues with Magnus Archives? This is all kinda anecdotal, but I only listen in my car.. I keep my volume at 10-12 for normal podcasts, but Magnus I have to crank up to 17. At that volume the intro music is blaring, but once he puts on that tape recorder filter I can barely hear him unless I turn it up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Does anyone else have volume issues with Magnus Archives? This is all kinda anecdotal, but I only listen in my car.. I keep my volume at 10-12 for normal podcasts, but Magnus I have to crank up to 17. At that volume the intro music is blaring, but once he puts on that tape recorder filter I can barely hear him unless I turn it up.

Same. My speakers are old and stock so I have to crank it up into the 50s but the intro is loud as hell in the 30s

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

I was thinking a mouth full of cotton balls.
No, it's definitely sinus-related. He sounds like Droopy from Mr. Show. Which, now that I think about it, makes the podcast more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNNRnjgJgI

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Has anyone listened to The Orbiting Human Circus? I'm kind of surprised that's flown under the radar so much given that it's a Night Vale Presents podcast with a number of celebrities involved.

Edit: Oops, just noticed people are talking about it in the Night Vale thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's one that's really hard to get a handle on so far.

I still don't really like the janitor's voice for instance. It's grating.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
ars PARADOXICA's last episode was very nice/tragic but I'm not sure where they're going with it. Seems like they finished the story of Sally Grissom and are now just doing vignettes of ODAR employees getting their lives ruined in various interesting ways.

also, Wooden Overcoats is back baby!

Kraps fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 31, 2016

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Finishing up S2E11 of TBT and :aaaaa:

Chills when Strand said "I'd like you to meet Coralee" and chills typing it. What the absolute gently caress! I don't want to finish it today! I don't want to wait another 4 months for a new season! Aagh!

I mean, yeah, I see a lot of it coming, but not that. gently caress.

EDIT: So we're all infected by the darkness that ends the world because we heard the pieces of the Mysterium in order? :crossarms: While I again got chills, it's a little eye-rolly.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 1, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The special Halloween episode of TBT is exceptionally creepy. It was morning and I was driving to work and it creeped me out...

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

New Leaf posted:

The special Halloween episode of TBT is exceptionally creepy. It was morning and I was driving to work and it creeped me out...

I could swear I heard weird breathing or growling or something in the background when Alex wasn't talking.

At least it's only another couple months if they release in January again. Then 2-week waits between. TBT was my constant work companion and I just can't get into Tanis. I don't like Nic's voice as much as Alex's.

I wish they did more radio dramas these days...something about picturing the horror in my head makes it worse than seeing it on a screen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If you like/can tolerate Doctor Who, there's a seventeen-year backlog of radio dramas from Big Finish, many of which are available for just 3 dollars for two hours of radio.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I could swear I heard weird breathing or growling or something in the background when Alex wasn't talking.

At least it's only another couple months if they release in January again. Then 2-week waits between. TBT was my constant work companion and I just can't get into Tanis. I don't like Nic's voice as much as Alex's.

I wish they did more radio dramas these days...something about picturing the horror in my head makes it worse than seeing it on a screen.

It's hard to keep up with who listens to what, but if you don't already, you should give The Magnus Archives a listen. I'm about 20 episodes or so in and holy poo poo, some give me the heebie jeebies...

Also, I'm totally the opposite on TBT/Tanis.. I think Nic is much better suited for the job than Alex, but I like them both. Nic seems much more genuine and off the cuff in his chats with people. Unless she's acting surprised, Alex sounds like she's reading from a script to me.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I think they're both pretty mediocre actors and the writing is often eye-rolling on both, but I still listen to both because the story has me hooked. Especially Tanis, for a pretty strange reason.

Around 18 years ago I was working on a scifi novel I later abandoned because I couldn't figure out how to end it. It was about number stations, a mysterious archeological site in the desert southwest, the church of Scientology, and a cabal of scientists trying to conceal the secret of an interdimensional doorway that was ultimately the origin of all the world's mythology and religions. To say that Tanis bears some similarities to it is an understatement. Even the use of a firefly fanfic board is close, although in my story it was "battlestar Galactica" (the original one).

I only had the barest outline and about forty pages written out, and the outline was all in my head. I never told anyone else about it, so it's just entertaining as hell to hear someone else telling essentially the same story only with Washington state instead of Arizona.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

It saddens me that Magnus Archives doesn't even make the top 100 podcasts in the Arts category.

Sounds like it's pretty cheap to produce, so there's little concern of it stopping. But this really deserves more exposure. Few fictional podcasts are it's equal or superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/darkest-night/id1163871694?mt=2 Has else listened to this? I went through the first two episodes today and it's got potential to be okay?

• Locked thread