Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jassi007 posted:

The appeal of a format that is significantly low maintenance with high power level cards really can't be denied.

:same: This is exactly why I got into Modern, except instead of investing in the Goyfs and Lilis I need to make a legitimate Junk list I built Titan Breach from scratch instead because ~variety~. For a format I get to play once a month.

I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

jassi007 posted:

I had that problem, but I really haven't touched anything other than Jund in a year, so I think come Feb for GP Pittsburgh I'm going to seriously slim down my collection. I could do a lot better things with several thousands of dollars than have it tied up in Magic cards.

I also have a few friends that kinda like playing Magic, but won't have invested thirty hojillion dollars in it so I like to have a few decks to loan out.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

I also have a few friends that kinda like playing Magic, but won't have invested thirty hojillion dollars in it so I like to have a few decks to loan out.

It's great when people at my LGS have decks like this. I used to pew pew Legacy but I really enjoyed it and wished I had burnable income to buy the Legacy Lands deck. I wanna watch that in play again

I hope someone runs it at this weekends SCG Open

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

I had that problem, but I really haven't touched anything other than Jund in a year, so I think come Feb for GP Pittsburgh I'm going to seriously slim down my collection. I could do a lot better things with several thousands of dollars than have it tied up in Magic cards.

This is what I'm doing right now. I liquidated Affinity, my Aether Vials from Eldrazi and Taxes, and am getting rid of BGx cards I won't ever play.

That only leaves me with:
Burn
Gruul/Bushwacker Zoo
Bant Eldrazi
Infect
Abzan Company

Basically I'm an modern peasant with such a dearth of cards. :(

C-Euro posted:

:same: This is exactly why I got into Modern, except instead of investing in the Goyfs and Lilis I need to make a legitimate Junk list I built Titan Breach from scratch instead because ~variety~. For a format I get to play once a month.

I'm dumb.

Want to buy my FS Goyfs?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Now is not the time to buy expensive modern staples. The new modern masters is soonish with lily and the gang getting reprints. The only card I am worried won't be in the next one is goyf, which would be a shame if it wasn't.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

reprint goyf at common.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

Yes. No clue on the streaming.

80s James Hetfield posted:

This weekend is Dallas Modern right? Are they streaming that?

CFB (w/ lsv) is.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Now is not the time to buy expensive modern staples. The new modern masters is soonish with lily and the gang getting reprints. The only card I am worried won't be in the next one is goyf, which would be a shame if it wasn't.

FS Goyf is the only one worth buying.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

reprint goyf at common.

hell, I'd take it at Rare.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It would be cool if they dialed back the upshift on rarity thing they like to do in these masters sets.

Like, if they really were interested in making staples for modern more accessible to grow their playerbase, which is certainly secondary to selling packs but still, then Goyf should be Rare and not Mythic among other cards.

I could see Lili being Mythic because, hey, Planeswalkers should be Mythic, but Goyf, Snapcaster? :cmon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

reprint goyf at common.

Only if it's Goatsegoyf. I'll trade my FS types for foil ones.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

hell, I'd take it at Rare.

Goyf can't be rare because it sucks in limited. WOTC first concern is limited and not... hahahah no i just can't.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I want Goyf at uncommon in whatever MM features the Delirium mechanic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm curious what the effect on Wotc's bottom line would be if they brought down prices of boosters.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

STANKBALL TASTYLEGS RARITY PREDICTIONS:

goyf: common (actually mythics for the third printing in a row)

snapcaster: rare (actually mythic)

damnation: mythic (not actually printed)

lili: mythic (is actually last hope)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

STANKBALL TASTYLEGS RARITY PREDICTIONS:

goyf: common (actually mythics for the third printing in a row)

snapcaster: rare (actually mythic)

damnation: mythic (not actually printed)

lili: mythic (is actually last hope)

Tibalt: Red Mythic alongside yet another Kiki-Jiki reprint

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cactrot posted:

Tibalt: Red Mythic alongside yet another Kiki-Jiki reprint

Thundermaw and Bonfire. If they are smart. So you're prediction is better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Want to buy my FS Goyfs?

Want? Yes.
Should I? No. Not right now, at least :negative:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's great when people at my LGS have decks like this. I used to pew pew Legacy but I really enjoyed it and wished I had burnable income to buy the Legacy Lands deck. I wanna watch that in play again

I hope someone runs it at this weekends SCG Open

I would be running it except that Lands is really fuckin' bad right now so I'm on loam, sorry.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Please don't screw this one up wotc. :pray:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So judging by that art, favourite MtG antagonist Nigel Balls is involved again?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

Thundermaw and Bonfire. If they are smart. So you're prediction is better.

Moonveil Dragon and Worldfire, you know it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lunsku posted:

I believe Wizards spelled this out when they first announced the set, yes.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lunsku posted:

He is confirmed

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Duel Deck: Jace vs Gentle Genitals

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

My problem is that I have Jund and don't play it enough to justify owning it. I'm probably going to just liquidate it to buy a new computer and play more Limited.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

My problem is that I have Jund and don't play it enough to justify owning it. I'm probably going to just liquidate it to buy a new computer and play more Limited.

Having to buy a new computer for limited is kinda messed up. Thanks modo.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ShaneB posted:

This would literally be the case for me - I don't crash/freeze much during games and losing a few minutes of clock to computer problems is at least manageable, but regularly missing picks thanks to MODO not running well makes drafting completely untenable.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i bet modern masters is dead now that masterpieces exist

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

born on a buy you posted:

"The next plane is a giant planeswalker arena, and we'll reprint Modern, Legacy, and Vintage staples at Masterpiece rare! Also Mudhole and Pale Moon because gently caress you guys."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

Those are independent things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

reprint goyf at common.

That's the only thing that'd be worse than Drake for Pauper, you animal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I'm pretty sure inserts have always been preferable to boutique "premium" sets. Like there's a niche population that love paying $200+ for 4 packs containing 5 cards each, presale numbers for them have always been much lower than just putting inserts in normal low-mid ranged sets.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Possibly, but less for "this meets our reprint quota for Modern staples" and more "look how many regular packs we're moving!", which would be a shame because people seemed to really like both MM sets.

Solution: Modern Masters Masterpieces :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Possibly, but less for "this meets our reprint quota for Modern staples" and more "look how many regular packs we're moving!", which would be a shame because people seemed to really like both MM sets.

Solution: Modern Masters Masterpieces :getin:

I don't see why there wouldn't be Masterpieces in the reprint sets, it seems like if they help with sales of regular sets they'll help with sales of the reprint sets. Of course, that's assuming they actually bother to print enough of MM3 to go around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, MM2017 is already announced.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Based off the stores I'm linked with pack sales of kal are down. Not dramatic but enough to raise eyebrows

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Based off the stores I'm linked with pack sales of kal are down. Not dramatic but enough to raise eyebrows

In what sense? Dropping off quicker than recent sets?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

I don't see why there wouldn't be Masterpieces in the reprint sets, it seems like if they help with sales of regular sets they'll help with sales of the reprint sets. Of course, that's assuming they actually bother to print enough of MM3 to go around.

So what you're saying is we're gonna get a masterpiece goyf but it's not going to be part of the actual set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

So what you're saying is we're gonna get a masterpiece goyf but it's not going to be part of the actual set.

oh god that's what's going to happen isn't it

• Locked thread