Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Samizdata posted:

Oh God, I just realized it.

It's me.

The troper that didn't happen.

It's me...

:sob:

This realization is a mixed blessing. You are forever contaminated and must be purged, but at least you understand the necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Atmus posted:

This realization is a mixed blessing. You are forever contaminated and must be purged, but at least you understand the necessity.

:commissar: for the good of the Empire

Really though, you're not so bad. that's the thing with troper tales. We've all got a story from high school or college or whatever that's a moderately funny anecdote, but usually it's only funny as a 10 second riff that's adds to an ongoing conversation eg "my buddy Steve got trashed and fell out a window!"

It gets pathetic when you feel the need to elaborate about how Steve drank an entire fifth of Jack and the window was plate glass transferred from a church that didn't exist anymore etc etc

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Khazar-khum posted:

Pencil

quote:
This troper knows a creepy fat kid who apparently thinks he's something different every day. So far from what he's counted, he thinks he is:
Zac Efron, an opera singer, Mumble, Sonic The Hedgehog, cool, sexy, good with the ladies, Spongebob Squarepants, Joe Jonas, a football player, A Spartan (you should see him running around the school yelling...well, you should probably know), a good dancer, a penguin in general (he was *ahem* "waddling" around the hallways repeatedly shouting out "Penguins will take over the world...Penguins will take over the world...") Optimus Prime, Chuck Norris, Naruto, a Pokemon trainer, and the reincarnation of Elvis Presley. He also likes chewing on his I.D. lanyard and his pencil.

Nice to see a Troper stick to the 3rd person thing for once

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Here's where it get crazy - I met a C-list celebrity, and my dad has the same name as a famous person!

How many super famous Indian musicians are there that Gallagher would've listened to on acid in the 60s? Are we supposed to believe that the stepfather just happens to be named Ravi Shankar? Why not just say the name? It's not like Google will turn up anything but the musician.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Samizdata posted:

Through hook or crook, this troper ended up with several lockers at the biggest high school he attended which were all over the campus. He would park stuff in various lockers to make the trip easier. Later he spun things into a timesharing arrangement with others, which funded his soda and snack habit whilst at school.

Sorry man, this is pretty damning

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The bag one bugs me because Saddam was found on a weekend. I remember waking up on Sunday morning to "they found Saddam!" and then months later we got the smuggled video of his hanging. Good times.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Samizdata posted:

Through hook or crook, I ended up with several lockers at the biggest high school I attended which were all over the campus. So I would park stuff in various lockers to make the trip easier. Later I spun things into a timesharing arrangement with others, which funded my soda and snack habit whilst at school.

I don't remember that episode of Ned's Declassified

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Along with a picture of their ~6 year old child.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chitoryu12 posted:

Depends on your locker placement. I rarely used my locker because it would sometimes be in a separate building from all of my classes and I'd need to run (which is against the rules) to get anywhere in time. I ended up just adding a shoulder bag to my load to carry everything.

I've also read about some schools that tried to implement one-way hallways in a misguided effort to reduce crowding, which could force people to make a full circle to go to their locker because it was the wrong way down from the door.

You didn't go to high school in metro Detroit, did you? Because this was precisely my experience. I opened my locker five times in four years.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Every state school in Queensland that I know of had the Time Warp as one of the dances you learn in your godawful middle school PE classes. The rationale being because it's more cool than waltzing and line dancing.

I guess this explains all the teenage pregnancies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

w o k e t o d d l e r

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can buy it. Kids parrot their parent's opinions all the time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

You didn't go to high school in metro Detroit, did you? Because this was precisely my experience. I opened my locker five times in four years.

North of Orlando. My high school just lined the walls of the main building and the smaller J Hall building next door with lockers wherever they would fit. Unfortunately, they reassigned every student's locker every year and it seemed completely random without taking into account where a student's classes actually were. One year I had my locker in J Hall when all of my classes were in the main building, with only one of the classrooms being close enough to the exit that I could theoretically make it there in time.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The thing about tropers is not only that the most interesting things in their life happened at high-school or that they are unremarkable, it's how they say them

Normal style:

quote:

During high-school my friends and I once did piggyback jousts. It was fun

Troper style:

quote:

While in high-school me, the Big Bad of the Ordinary High-school classroom arranged a joust with one of my friends who was the Papa Bear Lighting Bruiser of the Misfit Gang being the Noble Steed, my other friends being Those Two Guys, one of which was the Token Black Friend, causing a total Crowning Moment of Awesome after the second round when I caused a Heroic BSOD with my victory. IANMTU.

That hurt to type.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Furia posted:

I have an IQ of 240. While in high-school me, the Big Bad of the Ordinary High-school classroom arranged a joust with one of my friends who was the Papa Bear Lighting Bruiser of the Misfit Gang being the Noble Steed, my other friends being Those Two Guys, one of which was the Token Black Friend, causing a total Crowning Moment of Awesome after the second round when I caused a Heroic BSOD with my victory. IANMTU..

You forgot the preamble.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Through hook or crook, I ended up with several lockers at the biggest high school I attended which were all over the campus. So I would park stuff in various lockers to make the trip easier. Later I spun things into a timesharing arrangement with others, which funded my soda and snack habit whilst at school.

This was a plot element in Gordon Korman's Don't Care High.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

rchandra posted:

This was a plot element in Gordon Korman's Don't Care High.

Had to Google that one as I was unsure if it was real or you were snarking. You know, in a deadpan fashion. In order to make me have a Heroic BSOD so you could have your CMOA.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Had to Google that one as I was unsure if it was real or you were snarking. You know, in a deadpan fashion. In order to make me have a Heroic BSOD so you could have your CMOA.

Please stop.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trebek posted:

Please stop.

Hey, now, I didn't start the fight.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Samizdata posted:

Reformed troper?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

This sounds more like a wank fantasy than anything else. gently caress off did it happen the way he says though.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well his German for balls deep is 100% wrong.

As is the rest of this trash.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Sounds like someone wasn't let into Berghain and spent his evening composing this weird fantasy instead. Like yes, the club is famous for being a gay and BDSM hookup hub as well as an ungodly amount of drugs being consumed there, but somehow I doubt that they're making slip&slides by jizzing all over the floor there, and open fishing and buttsex is discouraged too I'm pretty sure. Also, “Balles Tief“ :laffo:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

System Metternich posted:

somehow I doubt that they're making slip&slides by jizzing all over the floor there, and open fishing and buttsex is discouraged too I'm pretty sure.

Sounds like someone wasn't let into Berghain!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Fathis Munk posted:

Well his German for balls deep is 100% wrong.

Care to teach me the right way? :pervert:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Cookies

quote:

This troper's boyfriend has a friend who worked at a video game store. Every few days or so a man would come in and buy a few copies of the video game Shaq Fu. He would purportedly destroy these cartridges with a sledgehammer, and then would come and buy them. Said friend-of-boyfriend also received a box of cookies as a trade-in item for a Sega Genesis AC adapter.

Bags

quote:

You know how paper grocery bags are now contained inside plastic bags? Well, this troper is convinced that his mother invented them and didn't get credit. Why? Because when he was in elementary school, there was some school project where kids had to invent things, and naturally he couldn't come up with any ideas (come on, invention ideas come about only because of necessity!). So his mother suggested that since grocery bags break all the time, what if a paper and plastic bag were combined? The idea became the "papic bag" and was presented at the school fair... in notebook form, as he had forgotten to bring the actual display itself. Suddenly, next year, paper and plastic bags were actually starting to be combined in a way vaguely similar to the way he had described them in the notebook. His (mother's) idea was stolen and now it's everywhere!

Medic

quote:

This Troper's maternal grandfather served in the British Army during World War II as a medic. He's had quite a number of brushes with death, mostly while with the 8th Army.
During the invasion of France, my grandfather had to get out of the ambulance he drove to piss. When he came back, the ambulance had been bombed.
He was then ordered to get to Dunkirk. FROM SOMEHWERE DEEP INSIDE FRANCE AND BEHIND ENEMY LINES. He made it.
He then served in North Africa, and during one of the many battles there, his job was to run out into the middile of battle and get injured men behind the lines. During one battle, he administered First-Aid to a downed officer before bringing him back. A German ordered a cease-fire at that part of the battle, and when my grandfather asked the people on his side just what was going on (twice), they just smiled and told him to keep working. When finally behind the lines, he ran into one of his friends that knew German and asked what happened. The IANMTU? It was EWRIN "DESERT FOX" ROMMEL THAT ORDERED THE CEASE-FIRE, BECAUSE MY GRANDFATHER WAS SAVING A JERRY.
My grandfather didn't care what side a person was on, he would still try and save them. A British solider was lying wounded RIGHT BESIDE the Jerry, yet my grandfather ignored him because the Brit could get himself back.
A Jerry broke into my grandfather's ambulance in North Africa, and my grandfather was forced to fight him off. After patching up his own wounds, my grandfather tried to save the JERRY THAT HAD JUST TRIED TO KILL HIM AND STEAL MEDICAL SUPPLIES. According to my mother, the fact my grandfather failed to save the Jerry was the saddest moment for him.
Amazingly, he survived the war, and later died during peace time of a tumour or something (need to ask my mom what it was exactly, will edit when I know). My grandfather was a walking IANMTU and C Mo A

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Man for every couple of "haha my friend did something super banal what a cmoa", we get a "my grandfather ended the German WW2 African campaign"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Danaru posted:

Man for every couple thousand of "haha my friend did something super banal what a cmoa", we get a "my grandfather ended the German WW2 African campaign"
FTFY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My grandfather was literally literally Hitler :smugmrgw:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

This is somewhat real, there was/is a website dedicated to destroying every copy of that game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Reformed troper?

Nope. Might as well be as I am someone who thinks they are funny.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
True story: When I first read Harry Potter, I did not know of the title change. When I got to the middle of the book where they finally say what the Sorcerer's Stone is, I literally exclaimed out loud "Well, why didn't they just call it the Philosopher's Stone to begin with!?".

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I experienced some of those false memories which often turn into STDH stories. I was convinced I went to a live game to watch my local soccer team play in 2010, I could vividly remember the atmosphere and noise, the strange thing though is that I have no idea who they played against, what the result was, or on which specific date it was. Still I managed for some reason to convince my self that I was there, and only realized that I didn't attend that game (or any game during that season) like two days ago.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord Chumley posted:

This is somewhat real, there was/is a website dedicated to destroying every copy of that game.

so my copy is only going up in value?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Are we just telling our own troper stories now?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Khazar-khum posted:

(paragraphs of detail)
died of a tumour or something

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Does kinda throw a shadow of doubt on the whole narrative, doesn't it. It lacks credibility.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Restored my faith" is the new clap-marriage, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Restored my faith" is the new clap-marriage, eh?

Yup.

I love that these "misanthropes" are so loving fickle they can be turned around by a (fictional) kid making a (fictional) joke