Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

don't use lastpass

endlessmonotony posted:

For laughing at. Little else. Might as well use a post-it note.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

lastpass has been breached before and they don't exactly seem to be taking any strides to fix it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Pass is bad if your goal is to actually keep secret things secret.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

baram. posted:

lastpass has been breached before and they don't exactly seem to be taking any strides to fix it.

flosofl posted:

Last Pass is bad if your goal is to actually keep secret things secret.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Hey, I know we've talked about password managers to death, well, Lastpass exploit. It's already been patched, but anyone using autofill on desktop should be changing their passwords now (and turning autofill off are you g-d kidding me?). Probably not the day to send me an ad e-mail Subject: Don't lock your loved ones out Body: Secure your digital will blah blah blah.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/hack-brief-password-manager-lastpass-got-breached-hard/

https://www.cnet.com/news/lastpass-ceo-reveals-details-on-security-breach/

Plus, it's owned by LogMeIn so you can easily assume that they're always acting in bad faith.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I the only one who just lets safari handle all my passwords on both iOS and OS X?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I the only one who just lets safari handle all my passwords on both iOS and OS X?

It's fine if you're only using Apple stuff. I'm multiplatform so I need the device support which I get from 1Password.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Apple Keychain works great. For Safari.

Good luck if you need to keep track of information outside of web interfaces.

I use Apple Keychain for Safari, but I also use 1Password and store them there as well. It also keeps all the passwords for stuff in my home lab, my work lab, accessing customer devices, storing my TACACS credentials, etc. I use it store all my CC's and banking routing information, secure notes like tax PINs, my conference bridge credentials and so on. It's way more flexible than what I can currently use the Apple Keychain for.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah if you're not using 2FA to protect your vault and other important logins then those things are concerning.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Yeah if you're not using 2FA to protect your vault and other important logins then those things are concerning.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/27/zero_day_hole_can_pwn_millions_of_lastpass_users_who_visit_a_site/

speaks volumes to their inability to QA for information leakage. LastPass is bad, do not use.

I feel like this is seat belts for computers. "I've never had anything happen and I've never worn a seatbelt!" Not using LasPass is something that reduces the risk of future harm.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

These are signs that their system and philosophy around matters of security are flawed, even if those specific breaches didn't end up harming you (and you wouldn't necessarily know if those breaches have harmed/will harm you, they haven't been dumped yet). I don't care to keep my most secure information with people who don't value it as secure. That's all.

flosofl posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/27/zero_day_hole_can_pwn_millions_of_lastpass_users_who_visit_a_site/

speaks volumes to their inability to QA for information leakage. LastPass is bad, do not use.

I feel like this is seat belts for computers. "I've never had anything happen and I've never worn a seatbelt!" Not using LasPass is something that reduces the risk of future harm.

Yeah, I quoted myself on that hole in the one that Tuyop quoted me on, but the double-quote didn't survive. Also condoms are good, people, and don't do kegstands in the back of a moving pickup truck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just keep in mind that none of the other password vaults are going to be any better. They just haven't been caught yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
All the information stored inside LastPass is encrypted though. My understanding is that it would take, like, a nation-state to access my accounts without 2FA and for even them the important accounts are just impossible to access without my phone. Is that incorrect? It seems secure even if it's just stored in public because math doesn't care about a company's philosophy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Just keep in mind that none of the other password vaults are going to be any better. They just haven't been caught yet.

My big stop is storing poo poo using ANY company's "cloud-based" vaults. I mean, I love 1Password but the minute they make me migrate to vaults stored and managed by them (i.e. the Families or Teams variant) is when I move back to Kepass.

No thanks, I'll keep my separately encrypted vault on storage space I know you can't get to. Even if those storage providers could access them, all they'd have is an encrypted blob being stored there.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 2, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

All the information stored inside LastPass is encrypted though. My understanding is that it would take, like, a nation-state to access my accounts without 2FA and for even them the important accounts are just impossible to access without my phone. Is that incorrect? It seems secure even if it's just stored in public because math doesn't care about a company's philosophy.

doesn't matter if the program itself gets tricked into thinking requestor is legit.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=884

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just do what I do and write down your usernames and passwords on a piece of paper then fold that paper up and put it in a plastic baggie then put the plastic baggie up your rear end. No shady software developers or cloud service providers will ever get my passwords!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

withak posted:

Just do what I do and write down your usernames and passwords on a piece of paper then fold that paper up and put it in a plastic baggie then put the plastic baggie up your rear end. No shady software developers or cloud service providers will ever get my passwords!

far better plan than lastpass, unless of course you also validate sketchy requests to your rear end

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

xzzy posted:

That's crazy talk. My Dropbox holds my 1Pass vault. That 1Pass vault has a 30+ character pass phrase. The Dropbox account it's hosted in has a 40+ character password along with a second factor. Feel iffy about that? Then inconvenience yourself with Wifi synching your 1Pass vault and it will never touch the internet.

LastPass stores all your stuff on their servers. If someone breaches Dropbox they still have to crack my 1Pass vault. Someone breaches LastPass, and you're done.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bobfather posted:

If someone breaches Dropbox
Your process is spot on, but that phrasing implies that someone hasn't breached dropbox and yeah, about that... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/09/07/hacked-dropbox-data-of-68-million-users-is-now-or-sale-on-the-dark-web/ https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2014/10/dropbox-wasnt-hacked/ (the last one for the lol factor)

which would all be fine, but to speak to their philosophy, https://sethvargo.com/dropbox-hasnt-learned-their-lession/.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
1password has their own sync service now

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

1password has their own sync service now

Isn't that the exact reason people poo poo on LastPass?

The basic problem is that as soon as something exists on someone else's hard drive, even if it's transient, you've given up control of your data and should assume it's only a matter of time before someone compromises it.

"Safe enough for now" doesn't cut it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

Your process is spot on, but that phrasing implies that someone hasn't breached dropbox and yeah, about that... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/09/07/hacked-dropbox-data-of-68-million-users-is-now-or-sale-on-the-dark-web/ https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2014/10/dropbox-wasnt-hacked/ (the last one for the lol factor)

which would all be fine, but to speak to their philosophy, https://sethvargo.com/dropbox-hasnt-learned-their-lession/.

Doesn't really matter, since there aren't any known holes with 256-bit AES, the encryption AgileBits uses on their 1Pass vaults. I wouldn't feel unsafe if anyone had access to my .opvault, unless they were using computers from a couple hundred years in the future.

Also, Dropbox is arbitrary. You can also use iCloud to sync, WiFi sync, or even BT Sync (BT Sync doesn't work on iOS devices).

With LastPass, you're depending on a single entity to 1) ensure the security of their web servers and 2) ensure the security of the data accessed through those servers. I could sit at a Starbucks and MITM LastPass all day and get login information that would get me direct access to people's passwords. I could do the same for Dropbox, but all I'd get is access to a 1Pass vault with a big fuckoff password.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 3, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

That's crazy talk. My Dropbox holds my 1Pass vault. That 1Pass vault has a 30+ character pass phrase. The Dropbox account it's hosted in has a 40+ character password along with a second factor. Feel iffy about that? Then inconvenience yourself with Wifi synching your 1Pass vault and it will never touch the internet.

LastPass stores all your stuff on their servers. If someone breaches Dropbox they still have to crack my 1Pass vault. Someone breaches LastPass, and you're done.

They store it encrypted much like you do on your Dropbox. This makes it more susceptible to MITM attacks but that's about it

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

They store it encrypted much like you do on your Dropbox. This makes it more susceptible to MITM attacks but that's about it

Susceptible to MITM, at the least. LastPass is a black box with a security process that can't be audited. They could be storing passwords in plaintext on post it notes, for all anyone knows.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

The basic problem is that as soon as something exists on someone else's hard drive, even if it's transient, you've given up control of your data and should assume it's only a matter of time before someone compromises it.

Yes, but you don't have to use their sync service to use 1password. There's no alternative storage method for lastpass.

bobfather posted:

Doesn't really matter, since there aren't any known holes with 256-bit AES, the encryption AgileBits uses on their 1Pass vaults. I wouldn't feel unsafe if anyone had access to my .opvault, unless they were using computers from a couple hundred years in the future.

Also, Dropbox is arbitrary. You can also use iCloud to sync, WiFi sync, or even BT Sync (BT Sync doesn't work on iOS devices).

With LastPass, you're depending on a single entity to 1) ensure the security of their web servers and 2) ensure the security of the data accessed through those servers. I could sit at a Starbucks and MITM LastPass all day and get login information that would get me direct access to people's passwords. I could do the same for Dropbox, but all I'd get is access to a 1Pass vault with a big fuckoff password.

Right on. I wasn't trying to criticise the security of your process, just making sure that while we're on the topic that no one missed the forest for the trees and took it as a recommendation to specifically use dropbox, when they're just as deserving of shame as lastpass.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Yep. And I poo poo on 1Password for doing the same, personally.

Still use them, just not their "hey store your vault with us" part.

And If your super paranoid, as someone said earlier just turn on WiFi synching, and sync directly with your devices/computers. And then turn it off when done.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Has anyone run into an issue with Podcasts.app not showing newly-synced podcasts?

As far as I can tell, the podcasts are successfully synced to the device. I can plug the phone in and see them (and even play them) using iTunes.
But they won't show up in Podcasts.app and all I can see is older podcasts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have 1Password and I paid for the mac app too. Am I doing something wrong should I be able to like have my logins and passwords that I keep on my mac vault available to me on iPhone /safari iOS?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Assuming you use one of the 1Password sync methods, they should be available through the iOS 1Password app. Think you have to manually activate the 1Password option in Safari's share/more list to be able to access the stuff in Safari.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Assuming you use one of the 1Password sync methods, they should be available through the iOS 1Password app. Think you have to manually activate the 1Password option in Safari's share/more list to be able to access the stuff in Safari.

Yeah, 1Password makes you validate browser extensions agains the main program before it will let the extension/plugin access the vault now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I've been using Downcast for years, but since 10.1.1 came out, it seem like it is absolutely killing my battery. It's been listed between 50-53% (in the background) over the last 2-3 days (according to the battery settings thing). I can force quit Downcast, or reboot to 'fix' the issue. (I notice an issue when my phone starts to feel hot and I pull it out of my pocket and I've gone from 90% down 24%.)

I think I'm going to have to either stop using Downcast, or do a restore - neither of which are appealing.

Anyone else having an issue like this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

withak posted:

Just do what I do and write down your usernames and passwords on a piece of paper then fold that paper up and put it in a plastic baggie then put the plastic baggie up your rear end.

AssPass?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

KeepAss.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

DashAss

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Asslane

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I like Dark Sky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

I like Dark Sky.

You're just looking at things in the App Store and saying you like them, aren't you?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
uBlock

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
i need an app to track haircuts

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

maduin posted:

I will never forget that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

maduin posted:

All my podcasts have advertorials for GreatClips, maybe try that?