Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Gasoline posted:

Reading the spoilers for KotET, it definitely seems that Bioware expected players to like Arcann a lot more than they actually do. Same thing happened with Koth in KotFE, really.

I don't know about Arcann but I don't think they expected anyone to like Koth that much. He seems like he was always set up to be the player's punching bag. I mean I don't even hate him as much as some people but every time he says "Like I don't have better things to do" when you send him on a mission I question my decision to not be an rear end in a top hat to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nerd Of Prey posted:

What I can't figure out in all this is why it is wrong or bad for writers to like the characters they write or try to make them interesting. Like what exactly is the alternative, everybody is bland and lovely and the player character is the only special person in the universe? Isn't that exactly what makes a lot of other video game writing bad? Am I seeing this right, that people are literally angry about a character getting a cool entrance?

Play through Makeb again and tell me how cool and engaging it was to have a bland and forgettable supporting cast.

I liked the lady on the Imperial side who was your support person. And then they killed her. :cry:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Turbl posted:

I don't know about Arcann but I don't think they expected anyone to like Koth that much. He seems like he was always set up to be the player's punching bag. I mean I don't even hate him as much as some people but every time he says "Like I don't have better things to do" when you send him on a mission I question my decision to not be an rear end in a top hat to him.

Eh, Koth magically returns with no explanation whatsoever just to poo poo all over the player, like a 'gently caress you' to everyone that didn't like him.

As for Arcann, it seems you'll be able to redeem him and make him a companion, an admittedly cool choice that you apparently only get with him, because I guess we're supposed to enjoy whiny incompetent dudes. This is obviously from datamining posts on reddit, so maybe it'll be different.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I want every Dark Council member as my bro-in-battle. Darth Baras? Make it happen somehow! I want to sass that fatty forever. Five-ever!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I don't really understand all the dislike for Koth. I though he was alright and kind of funny, like when he cock-blocks a romance scene between the PC and Lana.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dely Apple posted:

I want every Dark Council member as my bro-in-battle. Darth Baras? Make it happen somehow! I want to sass that fatty forever. Five-ever!

Baras as a companion would suck, having to constantly stop for him to catch up, breathing heavily.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don't really understand all the dislike for Koth. I though he was alright and kind of funny, like when he cock-blocks a romance scene between the PC and Lana.

I think his main narrative purpose is to provide the native Zakuulian's opinion on things, that maybe Valkorion actually isn't all bad and Zakuul's a nice place to be. The problem with that is that the subsequent narrative completely fails to support that point of view. You get oppressed refugees who dared to question Arcann, and then everyone else is a decadent moron, and this "hey, maybe Valkorion/Vitiate's actually not a terrible guy" line comes hot off the heels of him destroying a major Imperial world with a population of billions. And again, the story then does nothing to support that point of view.

I don't think Koth is a bad character, but I do think he exists to introduce a premise that the game then fails to follow through on. Which can be said of much of KOTFE in general.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Koth is a child that doesn't give a poo poo that your entire civilization was one big setup by Valkorion to funnel the souls of the dead to make him truly immortal because Koth benefited from it by being born in the favored empire.

gently caress Koth.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gasoline posted:

Eh, Koth magically returns with no explanation whatsoever just to poo poo all over the player, like a 'gently caress you' to everyone that didn't like him.

As for Arcann, it seems you'll be able to redeem him and make him a companion, an admittedly cool choice that you apparently only get with him, because I guess we're supposed to enjoy whiny incompetent dudes. This is obviously from datamining posts on reddit, so maybe it'll be different.

From what I've skimmed on the datamining sites I've been reading, that'll only be possible if you didn't take one or both options to kill him already. Granted, things can change or the datamining's off, but who knows.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Koth is Carth all over again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Koth is just upset that his show, Space-CSI got cancelled.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I started a bounty hunter this morning and hit 25 on Dromund Kaas. Good heavens.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Fifteen of Many posted:

I started a bounty hunter this morning and hit 25 on Dromund Kaas. Good heavens.

My characters have been hitting 50 before they get their ship :v:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The camera movement and framing used when Lana thaws you out of carbonite is all you need to prove that she's the important one to the story-teller(s). No other character gets even remotely close to that kind of display of presence.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sombrerotron posted:

BioWare: "We really like this character and hope you do, too."
Players: "We don't like this character."

Even if this were universally true, which it isn't, they are not assholes for trying to write likable characters.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Even if this were universally true, which it isn't, they are not assholes for trying to write likable characters.
Believe me, I wasn't arguing against you. I don't have any problem with the developers favouring any particular character, but when this issue comes up, it always boils down to the players just disliking the character. Whenever people do like a character, they'll never complain about him/her/hit being on screen a lot and generally being presented as cool and impressive.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This is the first I've heard of anyone really not liking Lana so I guess Bioware must be doing something right.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To me, Koth is a defector who constantly whines about accepting a defector onto the team.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sass, if you didn't do Shadow of Revan/Ziost then yeah, you do not know why the Emperor is something that needs to be killed. He is literally a ghost vampire that ate billions of civilians and killed all life on a planet to funnel his immortality, and planned to do so to everything in the main (non-Zakuul) galaxy, inorder to become truly immortal and Unkillable by any force I'm existence. He created the Sith Empire specifically so it'd create atrocities, because every death in the galaxy made him live longer (thus his name, the Immortal Emperor)

Arcann is following in his steps.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did the Knight story ages ago so I'm down with killing that Emperor. Funny thing is the current story seems pretty fine with his agenda in my head.

Just finished my "trials" on asylum (where everyone wants to die for no logical reason) and congratulations, Koth, I now hate you the least. My formerly pure and noble Jedi is now consistently picking the dialogue option that gives people the most poo poo.

I think that's character development.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh good now there's an "information broker".

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Berke Negri posted:

This is the first I've heard of anyone really not liking Lana so I guess Bioware must be doing something right.

The SWTOR forums so far has been the only place I've seen any dislike of Lana in. Everywhere else, the closest I've seen is a 'meh'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lana thinks she's the boss of me.

And I guess she is because videogame but they shouldn't bash me over the head with it or let her give me a row for keeping secrets and not get a chance to argue back. Practically animated a tail tucking between my legs.

She's also a sith who doesn't do anything sith-like at all. Which would be fine but it's not been brought up in the narrative so it feels like lazy superficial "coolness" inserted because the author has a hard-on for glowing eyes. I give this a pass though because I didn't play her real introduction story so what do I know?

Senya's definitely the author pet at this point. Who else could lead the player into a deadly trap, give a doe-eyed half-apology then reveal who she is and join the crew because???

edit: Stop singing you keep putting me in needless danger.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 2, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok so I am a little lost. Slowly going up the DvL quest stuff but I am still not 50 and drat is finding time to play hard.

Firstly, Lana, Koth, Trooper has the Best Companion? What characters are you guys talking about? Outside of Kera are there other companions you get post vanilla that you guys are talking about mostly and I just haven't gotten that far yet?

Secondly, to get the complete XP armor for DvL I would have to get to CHAMPION level for the complete set. +40% would probably be Ok, but could I make it to CHAMPION on 1 (or do I need to do it on both) characters before the 29th if I only can get in like 6 hrs a drat week? It just looks like there are a crapload of chapters to play + a lot of flashpoints, I am still not done with the main Trooper quest yet (just got to Alderaan on the start of that next 2 part quest arc). Having fun, but stressing a little as I just want to get the perks that will make the QoL better post DvL in the longrun then focus on things like crafting and imagining having more than 100K in my characters pocket at any one time. I fail at MMO money making both here and EVE and hell, RL in a way. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Well that was an hour spent playing as pointless hired muscle I'm never getting back.

Why give me the option to tell Senya to stop torturing a man if she just says "But I should" and keeps on going? When I said I didn't want to play as the once-in-a-generation chosen one I didn't mean the player should have zero agency whatsoever as an alternative.

They have the ship and a bunch of special annoying snowflakes, I'm leaving them to it for a few days at least.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Really enjoying my Serenity Shadow so far. Thanks Medulla for the recommendation. Was always really intimidated by the reputation Shadow/Assassin had for ridiculous numbers of buttons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chickenwalker posted:

Really enjoying my Serenity Shadow so far. Thanks Medulla for the recommendation. Was always really intimidated by the reputation Shadow/Assassin had for ridiculous numbers of buttons.

Stealth and Blackout is only two buttons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

Well that was an hour spent playing as pointless hired muscle I'm never getting back.

Why give me the option to tell Senya to stop torturing a man if she just says "But I should" and keeps on going? When I said I didn't want to play as the once-in-a-generation chosen one I didn't mean the player should have zero agency whatsoever as an alternative.

They have the ship and a bunch of special annoying snowflakes, I'm leaving them to it for a few days at least.

I don't think this game is for you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did you enjoy that part?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think any reasonable fan of this game would recognize that it has its pros and cons, but it's generally agreed that the story aspect is the one big selling point. It seems like every character and situation is pissing you off in some way. If you're not enjoying the story, you really would be better off just playing something else, because SWTOR is going to keep on being the same game no matter how much you play it.

At the very least, you could maybe keep this continuous stream of negativity to yourself, or find another outlet for it, cause you're fuckin' bumming people out, man.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Medullah posted:

Koth is just upset that his show, Space-CSI got cancelled.

Motherfucker I knew I recognized that guy from somewhere.

Also,

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think any reasonable fan of this game would recognize that it has its pros and cons, but it's generally agreed that the story aspect is the one big selling point. It seems like every character and situation is pissing you off in some way. If you're not enjoying the story, you really would be better off just playing something else, because SWTOR is going to keep on being the same game no matter how much you play it.

At the very least, you could maybe keep this continuous stream of negativity to yourself, or find another outlet for it, cause you're fuckin' bumming people out, man.

someone talking about something they dislike on something awful dot com???? burn the witch

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

For real...criticism is one thing, the constant snarky pessimism is another. Bioware makes ToR instead of KotoR 3 and it's us who get punished for it.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
also, (spoilered, datamined) signs point to us doing more active poo poo with the emperor in KOTET, so that could be interesting at least.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Dalris Othaine posted:

someone talking about something they dislike on something awful dot com???? burn the witch

I've definitely aired my grievances about games before, but I'll typically make one or two posts... and then stop playing the drat thing and move on to a game I do like. I can't really relate to spending months on end narrating blow-by-blow why I don't like a game that I'm actively playing. Like dude, just do something else. Play another game, watch a movie, listen to a funny podcast, go for a walk, I dunno. It's your leisure time, do something you enjoy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

KittyEmpress posted:

Sass, if you didn't do Shadow of Revan/Ziost then yeah, you do not know why the Emperor is something that needs to be killed. He is literally a ghost vampire that ate billions of civilians and killed all life on a planet to funnel his immortality, and planned to do so to everything in the main (non-Zakuul) galaxy, inorder to become truly immortal and Unkillable by any force I'm existence. He created the Sith Empire specifically so it'd create atrocities, because every death in the galaxy made him live longer (thus his name, the Immortal Emperor)

Arcann is following in his steps.

I don't think the kids are too on the up and up about what dad was up to. If I remember right much like the Dark Council, Valk's family doesn't know why he goes silent for long stretches of time, and I'm pretty sure don't know how he became immortal either. Arcann just wants to rule the whole galaxy as emperor, as Valk says in some fashion he has "jealousy, not ambition". Dad hosed him up and he killed his own brother, who he also blames on dad. I don't think Arcann or Vailyn or any of Zakuul really know about Vitiate planning on just sucking up the whole galaxy once he's bored.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok so I am a little lost. Slowly going up the DvL quest stuff but I am still not 50 and drat is finding time to play hard.

Firstly, Lana, Koth, Trooper has the Best Companion? What characters are you guys talking about? Outside of Kera are there other companions you get post vanilla that you guys are talking about mostly and I just haven't gotten that far yet?

Secondly, to get the complete XP armor for DvL I would have to get to CHAMPION level for the complete set. +40% would probably be Ok, but could I make it to CHAMPION on 1 (or do I need to do it on both) characters before the 29th if I only can get in like 6 hrs a drat week? It just looks like there are a crapload of chapters to play + a lot of flashpoints, I am still not done with the main Trooper quest yet (just got to Alderaan on the start of that next 2 part quest arc). Having fun, but stressing a little as I just want to get the perks that will make the QoL better post DvL in the longrun then focus on things like crafting and imagining having more than 100K in my characters pocket at any one time. I fail at MMO money making both here and EVE and hell, RL in a way. :(

Companions: for 'vanilla' you just have your base class companions. In the latest expansion, Knights of the Fallen Empire (KotFE), you gain a whole bunch of new, universal companions that everyone has access to regardless of class such as Lana and Koth.

For DvL you just need to hit the required rank on ONE character as the achievements are legacy based (i.e. shared across your characters on that server) - the armour set pieces are legacy bound so you can swap them from character to character as you like. If you want to unlock the DvL companion however you want to hit ETERNAL level, which requires you to hit 65 on both a DvL Republic AND Imperial character, as well as completing round 5 of the Eternal Championship which is a KotFE thing.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Are the required flashpoints for the Champion level soloable if you're at 65? I'm not part of any guilds but probably won't be on during times when other guild people would be.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You can complete them in solo mode at whatever level they're available to you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am not enjoying the specific part of the game I am posting about, while I am playing it. In this thread for discussion of the game. Senya sucks.

Lighten up. Criticism of parts doesn't mean the entire experience is bad. It's okay to like things, and not like things, and for these to be parts of the same things.

Having an emotional reaction to a narrative is good, and far preferable to apathy. As you say, if the story doesn't matter what's the point of playing SWTOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Aleth posted:

You can complete them in solo mode at whatever level they're available to you.
Oh, okay. That's good to know, then. Thanks. I just thought a bunch of them are "tactical" only and required an actual group to complete. At least, that's kind of how it seemed for the one tactical flashpoint I tried entering recently.

• Locked thread