Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Grumblegrox posted:

on 538 in the last couple of updates, 5 hillary-favoring national ipsos polls and one ppp poll of missourri favoring trump moved the needle 0.2 % toward hillary. then in the next update one poll out of missourri without even a very big sample size, favored trump but it isn't a surprise, and it dropped hillary's chances 1.4 %. Anyone understand what is going on here?

If polls are mixed, even if they generally favour Clinton, that's considered to increase uncertainty, and higher uncertainty always pushes in the direction of a cointoss. Welcome to the 538 model, wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Keep wheeling out the terrible news. The fact he is even a serious contender in this election is so heart breaking :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Edible Hat posted:

If Trump were to win, he would be the first president to win the presidency without winning his home state in how long?

Since Gore

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Edible Hat posted:

If Trump were to win, he would be the first president to win the presidency without winning his home state in how long?

Woodrow Wilson lost New Jersey in 1916.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Leaving nukes aside, handing over the command of the US armed forces to an orange manbaby who clearly has trouble with understanding the concept of backing down from a confrontation would be bad enough in itself for everybody outside the US to have a legitimate interest in the elections.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ciaphas posted:

like seriously i need some anti-anxiety meds right freaking now

Hillary's chances of winning are 99% on PEC right now

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont understand the arzying at all. There is absolutely no way trump wins.

(edit: if he does, i'll do that thing people do who nearly died in some freak incident where you stare into space and quietly laugh for half an hour.)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 3, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

That's not at all true.

Link is to John Hersey's seminal reporting on the aftermath of Hiroshima.

Nukes are bigger now so "nearby" (the air blast radius) goes from a mile in the case of Hiroshima to about 30 miles for a minuteman 3

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kit Walker posted:

Hillary's chances of winning are 99% on PEC right now

I know but reason and logic flew out the loving window of my mind on the last page with that revelation on the Football

20 more minutes until I can leave work, take some meds and just lie down for a while

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stereotype posted:

Nukes are bigger now so "nearby" (the air blast radius) goes from a mile in the case of Hiroshima to about 30 miles for a minuteman 3

Lol that's true, I hadn't thought about it in such grotesque depth and accuracy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zeno-25 posted:

Trump and his supporters prove that minority-majority can't come to America soon enough.

Minorities have it great here. Also I am terrified of being a minority.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol that's true, I hadn't thought about it in such grotesque depth and accuracy.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Here, you can overlay any yield you like on Google Earth to see where you'd land fallout and blast wise.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GalacticAcid posted:

Not really barring, basically, a Secret Service coup.

Edited: beaten like a dead horse in USPol.

or mike pence and 8 cabinet members pull a 25th amendment coup

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Theoretically the president has sole control over the football (Secdef has to confirm but cannot veto) but I just cannot believe that in practice - even if Trump stuffs his cabinet full of yesmen - the Warrant Officer with the nuke codes, or the commanders down the line, would be like "Yeah okay let's straight up nuke Tehran because you think they mooned our sailors." You would surely have to see the 25th Amendment come into play.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ciaphas posted:

I shitpost to distract myself from mounting stress and fear, and this thread gives me things to direct my otherwise unbinded worries at (see above tweet about white people fearing becoming minorities)

Suspect I'm one of the few who shitpost and clog this thread up for that reason, but there ya go

come on down to cspam we've always got room for more shitposting

if we keep our current acceleration we can cause a shitpost singularity and crash the entire forums

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr.Citrus posted:

Anyone else feel super sad that trumps assault accuser decided to not come forward because of death threats?

Not in a "I'm sad that there was a missed opportunity to slam trump" way but more in a "I'm disgusted by the human race and how people are behaving this election cycle" kind of way

I'm feeling equal parts both but recognizing I should probably feel more parts for the second piece.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spiffster posted:

Keep wheeling out the terrible news. The fact he is even a serious contender in this election is so heart breaking :(

He's not, really. He just barely passed the 5 percent support threshold for admission into the debate (with the help of Jill Stein supporters, evidently.)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

The bad thing is that even with a large nuke, if you are more than a few miles away from ground zero, it will take some time for the blast wave to reach you. Time during which you will be roasting alive from the thermal effects (depending how exposed you are). That ten or twenty or thirty seconds of being KFC'ed before the blast catches up is going to suck.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Liquid Communism posted:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Here, you can overlay any yield you like on Google Earth to see where you'd land fallout and blast wise.

:catstare: I'm in Manhattan right now and this is...pretty discomfiting!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

I know but reason and logic flew out the loving window of my mind on the last page with that revelation on the Football

20 more minutes until I can leave work, take some meds and just lie down for a while

From what we understand, there might be a total of 2 people in the chain of command in the military tasked with delivering the president's order to launch and who would have any chance at possibly knowing the order to launch was insane, and we'd depend on them to disobey orders and alert congress. If they salute and follow orders, the guys who actually launch the nukes don't even know if they are launching or if its yet another drill. They'd enter the code, the computer would recognize it as real, and away they go. All within 4 minutes

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Edible Hat posted:

He's not, really. He just barely passed the 5 percent support threshold for admission into the debate (with the help of Jill Stein supporters, evidently.)

I'm starting to understand why Iron Rose doesn't like the uber Left.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

freebooter posted:

Theoretically the president has sole control over the football (Secdef has to confirm but cannot veto) but I just cannot believe that in practice - even if Trump stuffs his cabinet full of yesmen - the Warrant Officer with the nuke codes, or the commanders down the line, would be like "Yeah okay let's straight up nuke Tehran because you think they mooned our sailors." You would surely have to see the 25th Amendment come into play.

I like to imagine that in that scenario you'd have someone punch Trump in the face out of the blue and just shout, "Are you loving KIDDING ME?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

There's a solid philosophical argument that in practice any given order to use nuclear weapons is definitionally insane such that any president who gives such an order is incompetent, BUT

forty percent of registered voters support Trump

Realistically, it just buys everyone a few minutes while Trump fires everyone who refuses the order.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Well we know from earlier conversations that the submarine nukes are kept in the dark about whether or not codes they get are real or a drill. So apparently they repeatedly receive codes and go through the procedure as if it was real, except that no missiles launch at the end. In theory they wouldn't know until they started hearing missiles launching. Does the launch have to go through anyone else or is it from the football direct to the launchers?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Here's your general, evergreen, all-purpose anti-Arzy when it comes to 538: despite his name recognition, Nate Silver is not the only person doing what he does, and the other aggregators aren't exactly amateurs either.

Here's what all the bigwigs say about Clinton's chances:

PEC: 99%
HuffPost: 98%
NYT: 87%
538: 68%

Mean: 88%
Median: 92.5%

Silver is baking some assumptions into his model about potential polling error, which may indicate that he's extra prescient and has an edge over the rest, or it could mean he's needlessly underestimating the quality of polls. Either way, he's staking his reputation on being an outlier right now, and your level of panic should be proportionate to whether you think he's correct to be out on that limb.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/793962977267425280
do it

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/793964471890886656
they all bend the knee.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Saw this trending on Facebook today. Apparently, if you are Catholic and want the best chance to get away with child molestation, move to Louisiana. A judge decided that priests are not mandatory reporters because confession is supposed to be kept confidential.

http://deadstate.org/louisiana-supreme-court-rules-that-priests-dont-have-to-report-evidence-of-child-abuse-to-police/

quote:

Laws that require people to report evidence of child abuse or neglect are standard in almost every U.S. state.

But thanks to a Louisiana judge, priests in the state are now exempt from that law. In other words, if a child confides with a priest in a confessional booth about any form of abuse, the priest is not obligated to say anything.

Prompting the ruling was a case from 2014 when 14-year-old Rebecca Mayeaux confided in Catholic priest Jeff Bayhi that she was being molested by a 64-year-old man who was a member of their congregation.

According to reports, Bayhi allegedly told Mayeaux, “This is your problem. Sweep it under the floor and get rid of it.” He never said a word to police. During his testimony in court, Bayhi argued that if mandatory reporting applied to priests, no one would ever come to confession.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Number_6 posted:

The bad thing is that even with a large nuke, if you are more than a few miles away from ground zero, it will take some time for the blast wave to reach you. Time during which you will be roasting alive from the thermal effects (depending how exposed you are). That ten or twenty or thirty seconds of being KFC'ed before the blast catches up is going to suck.

Aka the dream sequence in terminator 2

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Thanks to this thread, I am now better able to imagine, in great detail, my own death by nuclear fire via a Trump presidency.

Really helping the anxiety.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

freebooter posted:

A majority of white men, and a majority of men in the armed forces, actively wish for Donald Trump to become president of the United States.

Now combine somebody who 1. is the kind of person to welcome Trump anyways, 2. has been trained to directly execute orders.

I mean, maybe the soldiers who have to actually execute the launch are all chill dudes with reasonable political opinions. But, do you think so?

Koalas March posted:

I'm so loving pissed. Anyone who posted in the last thread admitting to donating money should get probated until the election. you literally helped to fun the disenfranchisement of black voters. And yall better not come up in here and start bitching about black turn out, you sanctimonious fucks

AND ON TOP OF IT, I got probated for telling those pricks to gently caress off because this is exactly what was going to happen.

gently caress all of you
They go low, you go high. They go low again, you go high again.
If you go low, you're them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GI_Clutch posted:

Saw this trending on Facebook today. Apparently, if you are Catholic and want the best chance to get away with child molestation, move to Louisiana. A judge decided that priests are not mandatory reporters because confession is supposed to be kept confidential.

http://deadstate.org/louisiana-supreme-court-rules-that-priests-dont-have-to-report-evidence-of-child-abuse-to-police/

I'm not sure anywhere requires priests or attorneys to be mandated reporters. The seal of the confessional is actually kindof a big deal.

edit: ok I'm wrong priests are mandated reporters in some states but usually the actual confessional booth is exempted. They're just required to report what they hear outside of confessions.

At first I thought this was somethign the priest learned of during confession but it sounds like it wasnt?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 3, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This would mean Pelosi would be Speaker, Right?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Well we know from earlier conversations that the submarine nukes are kept in the dark about whether or not codes they get are real or a drill. So apparently they repeatedly receive codes and go through the procedure as if it was real, except that no missiles launch at the end. In theory they wouldn't know until they started hearing missiles launching. Does the launch have to go through anyone else or is it from the football direct to the launchers?

Goes through the general/admiral and then direct to the base commandant/sub captain IIRC then to the launchers. So two people

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'll believe it when I see it. They claimed they were going to dump :boehner: way back when and they've been calling Ryan a RINO basically since he became Speaker, but they never do anything about it.

EDIT:

BigRed0427 posted:

If they actually end up calling a vote it could happen, but even the Freedom Caucus knows that, which is why they never actually call a vote.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

Finally got around to voting! +1 for HRC in the hotly contested swing state of Oregon.

Same!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Giving transphobic racists money isn't going high.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Supercar Gautier posted:

Silver is baking some assumptions into his model about potential polling error, which may indicate that he's extra prescient and has an edge over the rest, or it could mean he's needlessly underestimating the quality of polls. Either way, he's staking his reputation on being an outlier right now, and your level of panic should be proportionate to whether you think he's correct to be out on that limb.

He actually isn't. If Clinton wins by exactly the margin we expect and exactly the states we expect, that doesn't prove his uncertainty wrong. We'd need a hundred years of elections to have enough data to know that he's being too careful. Protecting his reputation is why some of us suspect he's doing this.

Oddly enough, it takes a hundred years to prove him wrong, but it only takes one shocking night to completely vindicate him.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The only reason any of you know anything about nukes is because Clinton exposed our nuclear secrets at the third debate.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BigRed0427 posted:

People were thinking this when Boehner resigned - it's not going to happen unless the Republican party actually fractures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cingulate posted:

Failure to act against something is tacit support of it. loving sending money to it is definitely support of it. When that party literally has a platform of disenfranchisement and opposition of human rights, supporting it is supporting the undermining of democracy and human rights. There's a loving reason Germany's democracy has means to defend itself.

• Locked thread