Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am sincerely doubtful that the thing which pushed Ana from garbage tier to "plz nerf" was two extra shots before reloading and a slight RoF buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

my favorite ana buff is her giving out candy before every match

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

I am sincerely doubtful that the thing which pushed Ana from garbage tier to "plz nerf" was two extra shots before reloading and a slight RoF buff.

i think it was more a bone for the console crowd than anything

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can't really argue that a few more shots and a higher RoF don't lower her skill ceiling, though. For a rather difficult to play character, that's a big difference.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The RoF buff was a direct buff to her throughput and put her solidly above Mercy for single-target healing throughput (without even needing to grenade) which mattered quite a bit

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

she was never garbage, though she might have been niche. Her sleep dart, healboost/antiheal grenade and nanoboost made her very solid. I think there was a time where it was common to run her, Lucio and Zenyatta all at the same time.

Then they gave her four more bullets and a rate of fire boost, basically doubling her healing/damage output

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
She's still going to be very strong after the nerf. Her healing debuff grenade is the best non-ult skill in the game for clearing a point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is sort of goofy from both a design clarity perspective and a balance one that Ana's grenade does so many things. It
  • gives her splash damage
  • heals teammates with the splash for crowd healing
  • gives teammates a double-healing buff which exists nowhere else in the game
  • gives enemies a no-healing debuff which exists nowhere else in the game
Like it would already be unique+cool if it just healed teammates and damaged enemies in a splash.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nihilarian posted:

she was never garbage, though she might have been niche. Her sleep dart, healboost/antiheal grenade and nanoboost made her very solid. I think there was a time where it was common to run her, Lucio and Zenyatta all at the same time.

Then they gave her four more bullets and a rate of fire boost, basically doubling her healing/damage output

They gave her two more bullets actually, she went from 8 to 10. As far as running her goes people weren't really using 3 healer/3 tank comps until somewhere between S1 and S2 when people suddenly realized that you could have a nanoboosted Reinhardt cycling Earthshatter through every single teamfight (then even later they'd drop Zen in exchange for a 4th tank).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

She's still going to be very strong after the nerf. Her healing debuff grenade is the best non-ult skill in the game for clearing a point.

I wouldn't even put that qualifier on it and just say it's the best non-ultimate ability in the game.

IronicDongz posted:

It is sort of goofy from both a design clarity perspective and a balance one that Ana's grenade does so many things. It
Like it would already be unique+cool if it just healed teammates and damaged enemies in a splash.

It also rules how if a Zenyatta burns his ultimate to nullify a Zarya black hole you can just nade the group of enemies to entirely cancel Zenyatta's ultimate.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I wouldn't even put that qualifier on it and just say it's the best non-ultimate ability in the game.

That's a toss up between discord orb and grenade IMO.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just by nature of her toolkit she requires a lot more precision than the other healers, she probably seemed bad at first because a bunch of idiots like me were flailing around missing.

Shear Modulus posted:

After Reinhardt's shield :v:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a toss up between discord orb and grenade IMO.

Maybe if discord orb simultaneously healed any of your teammates around the orbed player.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

They gave her two more bullets actually, she went from 8 to 10.
it might have been on the pTR but I'm pretty sure she started with 6 bullets

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shear Modulus posted:

It also rules how if a Zenyatta burns his ultimate to nullify a Zarya black hole you can just nade the group of enemies to entirely cancel Zenyatta's ultimate.

As a Zenyatta player I'll have you know that this is actually bullshit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I've arrived at "not totally potato rank"

my rank started at like 1970 or something and has been a straight climb up the whole way. feeling fairly good about it, though of course I haven't gotten high really yet

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As a Zenyatta player I'll have you know that this is actually bullshit.
I don't know why Ana grenade debuff isn't the inverse of Ana grenade buff-aka, halve enemy healing instead of totally prevent it. Would be more intuitive and not totally bone Zen ult

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Maybe if they made it so you had to shoot an enemy after splashing them it to inflict the 0 healing debuff. You have to shoot your allies to make use of the x2 healing buff so it'd be more symmetrical.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't have to shoot your allies to inflict the healing buff, though, and sometimes you don't need more healing than the grenade(or have more healers on your team). There are situations now where you want to inflict either status but may not shoot the person afterwards(because you're busy with something else, or it's handled by teammates).

It would be less symmetrical because you wouldn't have to shoot teammates to inflict the healing buff, but would have to shoot enemies for the debuff. I don't think Ana needs to be more complicated.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive been on a zenyatta binge and tbh i havent suffered from ana yet

but every ult i do makes me think "man a heal grenade would REALLY SUCK RIGHT NOW"

zenyatta ult is great tho, because I am a really awful rear end in a top hat and it makes me feel really happy to know that when the enemy pulls off their wombo combos and begin to feel that ecstasy, when they see their nanoboosted rein running swinging at a group of foes stuck together by a zarya/mei combo ult to finally shift momentum of the round in their favour, I am there to completely ruin their fun at the press of a single button, and to fill their hearts with dread in the knowledge that they actually will have to aim and shoot at things to win fights and are thus damned forever

then mccree pops up and kills everyone while im all transcendent and poo poo and i experience ego death

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The real douche thing to do is follow the enemy boost-rein/dragon-gengi as closely as you possibly can, so they're just impotently flailing around in what should have been their finest hour.

HEY BUDDY IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL PEOPLE. MIND IF I WATCH?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

IronicDongz posted:

She has no vertical mobility whatsoever.
She has no horizontal escape ability at all.
Her other skill is a slightly delayed projectile-based stun that is cancelled by incoming damage.
Her weapon is hitscan when zoomed but projectile when hipfired, can not headshot for bonus damage, and does damage in a very unique manner so someone getting shot by Ana can immediately tell they're getting shot by Ana.

Look that healing grenade is basically the only part of her kit that isn't massively crippled in some way. She's got a hell of an arm when throwing it, but she needs all those advantages you listed just to be a loving viable character since they've all but taken a Reinhammer to her kneecaps already.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really, no. Characters do not actually need mobility options to be viable(Ana is one of the extremely high usage 'core' heros in current pro comp, and so is Zarya, neither of which have any movement options-also see Roadhog, who gets a good amount of use at that level as well), and her weapon is really, really good(does good damage on top of being able to heal damage faster than mercy, and I don't know why you list being able to choose whether you use projectile for bigger hitbox or hitscan for instant hit like it's a negative). People knowing they're being hit by Ana isn't much of a negative because it takes almost no time for people to figure out which heros the other team is running anyways.

You could nerf heal grenade and Ana would still be a good character.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ana doesn't need a movement skill since these tanks with three times the HP do just fine without one.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The grenade is an amazing ability, but not having it off cooldown leaves you extremely vulnerable. You need it to deal with non-braindead flankers, and regularly throwing it at 1-2 chip damaged teammates because you're too lazy/bad of a shot to heal them with m1s makes you bad at Ana.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FAUXTON posted:

Ana doesn't need a movement skill since these tanks with three times the HP do just fine without one.
No, Ana doesn't need a movement skill because she is straightup a top tier character without one

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

IronicDongz posted:

No, Ana doesn't need a movement skill because she is straightup a top tier character without one

Because of the grenade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
With her ult and weapon(which are both great) she would still be at least alright if grenade was nerfed. You wanna talk about "massively crippled" characters, look at Symmetra.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What feels better than two shotting an ulting Genji as Zenyatta?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bottom Liner posted:

Murdering a Mei as Zenyatta while she tries to freeze you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
charging a right click as zen as a tracer rewinds and then sending her head into the shadow realm when she reappears

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

IronicDongz posted:

With her ult and weapon(which are both great) she would still be at least alright if grenade was nerfed. You wanna talk about "massively crippled" characters, look at Symmetra.

The only crippled character I see is Junkrat

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jeza posted:

The only crippled character I see is Junkrat

Reaper is missing his entire body.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Decided to get back into this dumb game

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/shared/def48f51cd45e4db

Qualified at 2805. Not bad. I qualified at 65 last season so i've just golden gun'd my roadhog. Roadhog is amazing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Donnerberg posted:

Reaper is missing his entire body.

Call me when being able to turn into a sweet ghost is considered a disability, tia

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

IronicDongz posted:

charging a right click as zen as a tracer rewinds and then sending her head into the shadow realm when she reappears

Sending an icicle directly into the face of a tracer as Mei. The longer the distance the better.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ana's grenade is one of the strongest non-ultimate offensive abilities in the game, and most people use it to self-heal for 100

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I'd say that's proof it's a good ability then, because it shows it has use at different levels of play. People who don't know what they're doing like it because they can use it as a self-heal, and people who do know what they're doing can use it to zone out a whole group. More abilities should work that way if Blizzard is really serious about the idea of a game that can satisfy both chill quickplay and hardcore competitive.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Getting bumped off a cliff by Lucio or Reinhardt and landing your hook so that he joins you in death.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Every part of Ana's kit is too good.

The grenade healing buff combos with Lucio's healing to make it nearly a Harmony Orb on everyone(25hps vs 30), and with Amp it up even better than an Ana shooting into everyone (80 vs 75). The best way to counter this is another grenade, because the best counter to a hero should be the same hero.

People say she's weak 1v1 and maybe forget the part where she can heal herself for 100 and damage the enemy for 60, sometimes both. She also has a decent weapon. With just her gun, she does 160 damage in 2 shots, add grenade for 220, killing most of the cast. Zenyatta, the offensive support, in the same time does 138-179 with discord. He adds a melee to hit the 200 breakpoint and she does to hit 250 to kill the non-tanks (bastion doesn't count). Zen does have headshots but she has hitscan. Also, breakpoints are variable when the targets are being healed by a healer or their own passive, but Ana uniquely doesn't have to deal with that so her window to hit those breakpoints is much more relaxed than anyone else's.

Then there's sleep dart. Big targets like Bastion and the tanks are much less of a problem now, and anyone else it hits are pretty much doomed. It's also the best way to completely shut down her own ult. The one that's probably the best at breaking a stalemate. It charges quickly and combos well with other ults. Here's a weird one: I ulted a Tracer to make Pulse Bomb hit the 600 breakpoint to kill even full health tanks. You can even make McCree do the moonwalk. Nerf Ana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

Every part of Ana's kit is too good.

The grenade healing buff combos with Lucio's healing to make it nearly a Harmony Orb on everyone(25hps vs 30), and with Amp it up even better than an Ana shooting into everyone (80 vs 75). The best way to counter this is another grenade, because the best counter to a hero should be the same hero.

People say she's weak 1v1 and maybe forget the part where she can heal herself for 100 and damage the enemy for 60, sometimes both. She also has a decent weapon. With just her gun, she does 160 damage in 2 shots, add grenade for 220, killing most of the cast. Zenyatta, the offensive support, in the same time does 138-179 with discord. He adds a melee to hit the 200 breakpoint and she does to hit 250 to kill the non-tanks (bastion doesn't count). Zen does have headshots but she has hitscan. Also, breakpoints are variable when the targets are being healed by a healer or their own passive, but Ana uniquely doesn't have to deal with that so her window to hit those breakpoints is much more relaxed than anyone else's.

Then there's sleep dart. Big targets like Bastion and the tanks are much less of a problem now, and anyone else it hits are pretty much doomed. It's also the best way to completely shut down her own ult. The one that's probably the best at breaking a stalemate. It charges quickly and combos well with other ults. Here's a weird one: I ulted a Tracer to make Pulse Bomb hit the 600 breakpoint to kill even full health tanks. You can even make McCree do the moonwalk. Nerf Ana.

Counterpoint - what if I can't aim good