Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zebulon posted:

Maze and Trixie are an amazing power team.

Edit: And Unforgiven owns, especially for this episode.

Unforgiven was a solid choice. Sad we didn't get any lyrics sung.

Echoing they made a good choice with the look of Lucifer. And the doc's reaction I think was right.

Doesn't look like a grin too me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This show is so good right now

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This show is so good right now

Let's just hope he doesn't waltz into the cop shop next week and say, "Good morning, Detective, and Officer Douche. I was feeling a little punishy when I woke up, so I wrote up this list of baddies who you don't even know about but who I do because I'm a sin-eater. I'm... well, I'm the devil, after all! So here's the list, which Maze said would look so cool written on black paper for some such reason, and first up is a little naughty boy called The Recombinator. Don't know why; nobody even knows what 'recombinate' means and even if they do, I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't do it, but I thought they needed cool-ish nicknames. I've got some... let's call them operatives... in place, so let's take him down, shall we? Chloe, I hope everything is OK with your daughter; perhaps we should explore your love life and inject a little excitement with a kidnapping?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maze and Trixie funtimes is exactly what I was hoping for when they agreed to move in together.

I'm really glad we are going to have a human that actually believes Luci now. She'll have to recover somehow because I doubt such a major character is going to just stay crazy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tarlibone posted:

Let's just hope he doesn't waltz into the cop shop next week and say, "Good morning, Detective, and Officer Douche. I was feeling a little punishy when I woke up, so I wrote up this list of baddies who you don't even know about but who I do because I'm a sin-eater. I'm... well, I'm the devil, after all! So here's the list, which Maze said would look so cool written on black paper for some such reason, and first up is a little naughty boy called The Recombinator. Don't know why; nobody even knows what 'recombinate' means and even if they do, I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't do it, but I thought they needed cool-ish nicknames. I've got some... let's call them operatives... in place, so let's take him down, shall we? Chloe, I hope everything is OK with your daughter; perhaps we should explore your love life and inject a little excitement with a kidnapping?"

I wonder how many of Reddington's speeches you could have Tom Ellis say and have it fit in character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, for fans of the piano covers in this show, reminder that Westworld is loving awesome, and has a lot of sick piano covers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

Also, for fans of the piano covers in this show, reminder that Westworld is loving awesome, and has a lot of sick piano covers.

Agreed. For like all 11 people not watching Westworld already, get your poo poo in order.

Edit: You may want to avoid the thread though, peak TV:IV over there.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 2, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Unforgiven was a solid choice. Sad we didn't get any lyrics sung.

Echoing they made a good choice with the look of Lucifer. And the doc's reaction I think was right.

Doesn't look like a grin too me.

:stonklol: sums it up I feel

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I really couldn't interpret her reaction as anything other than completely unrestrained terror at finding out she's literally been giving therapy sessions to (and loving) the literal, honest to god devil. To be fair, it's a pretty drat understandable reaction. Doesn't make his clear disappointment, if not sadness, over it any less painful however. Poor Luci.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Bet she just chalks it up to being stressed out or something like that. If not, well she's seen that he's actually not all that horrible and has somewhat been putting effort into become a better devil, misguided as most his attempts are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Bet she just chalks it up to being stressed out or something like that. If not, well she's seen that he's actually not all that horrible and has somewhat been putting effort into become a better devil, misguided as most his attempts are.

You didn't see the preview, did you.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, I'm going to cut her a little slack here. There's a reason Amenadiel was all over the whole 'humans can't have proof of the divine' thing when Lucifer had his wings stolen. She just had 'God is real', 'I've hosed the literal devil', 'I've hosed an angel', and 'I've hosed a demon' all dumped on her at once.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I mean, I'm going to cut her a little slack here. There's a reason Amenadiel was all over the whole 'humans can't have proof of the divine' thing when Lucifer had his wings stolen. She just had 'God is real', 'I've hosed the literal devil', 'I've hosed an angel', and 'I've hosed a demon' all dumped on her at once.

Just an average night in LA, really.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This show man, if anyone had told me that I'd be watching (and loving) a show where I can be made to actually feel bad about THE DEVIL HIMSELF 5 years ago, I'd have laughed in their face.

Those feels man, when he realized he kinda blew her mind with the reveal. Even the demon face (which, god drat dude, how hosed up did you GET in that fall?) had a look of nervous longing like "Please accept me", and when it flashed back to Tom, you could see the heartbreak. God drat dude, the writers are killing it this season but Tom is loving DESTROYING it when it comes to acting. I'm hoping he wins an award or something, cause holy gently caress this dude can act.

I'm pretty sure the Doc is gonna be a bit off her rocker, what with discovering that God/Devil/Angels/etc exist, but then toss in the whole "Oh hey wow I had sex with Satan willingly for like half a year" and here's hoping she's not catholic cause holy poo poo the guilt that has to lob back at you has gotta be major.

Just gonna buckle my seatbelt and enjoy the ride though, they haven't let me down yet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also Maze's FACE!!! We had see a glimpse of it in the first season, but it's gotten an upgrade. Maze and Trixie are the best.

The president of Mars. Duh.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm still catching up, but holy LOL "Girl's Night Out" was hilarious.

EDIT:

"I don't look like a cop!"

"Cop."

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 2, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
The therapist is my favourite character, so I'm looking forward to her getting some development.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo this show is so loving good. When Lucifer started playing The Unforgiven and Amenadiel slowly and furiously comes to the realisation that he does not respect God anymore, drat. That was a good scene. I was hoping Tom Ellis would start singing tho, it's such a perfect song for grief and anger and he has such a good voice.

It's funny to think back to when i started watching this show, i was thinking that this was gonna be about the big bad devil punishing people. Instead it's about the gradual humanization of Satan and for some reason it works so good. I'm not religious in any way, but it's still funny to catch myself booing God and rooting for the Devil.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm still dying to know what the deal is with Chloe's presence depowering Luci, or at least making him vulnerable. I'm hoping it's something like she's the last scion.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

computer parts posted:

You didn't see the preview, did you.

Nope, nope I didn't. *sigh*

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do like the fact that they're not doing faux 'moral of the week then reset as if nothing happened' character development and actually moving all the characters along.

Even minor supporting detective douche has off-camera had a huge dose of humility which has changed him a bit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Since both shows seems to going with a 'god is missing' thing, I'm really sad we'll never get a Preacher Lucifer crossover.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since both shows seems to going with a 'god is missing' thing, I'm really sad we'll never get a Preacher Lucifer crossover.

Both were Vertigo books too

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

With Vertigo tie ins, I would -love- to see what Liv and Ravi of iZombie would look like interacting with Detective Chloe and Lucifer.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Do you think Amenadiel and Maze see Lucifer's true face all the time or just whatever form he currently uses? And the mom too. Cause I don't know how anyone could look at that face all the time.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Eddain posted:

Do you think Amenadiel and Maze see Lucifer's true face all the time or just whatever form he currently uses? And the mom too. Cause I don't know how anyone could look at that face all the time.

Turn off your monitor.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Eddain posted:

He has the kind of face only a mother could love. If she was blind in one eye, and had that sort of milky film over the other one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This episode was a massive step up from the last one. Two episodes like that last one in a row and I'd probably have stopped watching, so I'm glad it was a fluke.

Ville Valo posted:

I'm still dying to know what the deal is with Chloe's presence depowering Luci, or at least making him vulnerable. I'm hoping it's something like she's the last scion.
If she's the last scion, what would that make Trixie? :crossarms:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what "the last scion" is in this context... google did not help.

edit: It seems like it's either the last living descendant of Mary, Mother of Christ, or if you get all Dan Brown with it, the last descendant of Mary Magdalene/Jesus.

But I don't turn up any results at all that are from actual, non Kevin Smith, non Dan Brown sources.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snak posted:

I don't understand what "the last scion" is in this context... google did not help.

edit: It seems like it's either the last living descendant of Mary, Mother of Christ, or if you get all Dan Brown with it, the last descendant of Mary Magdalene/Jesus.

But I don't turn up any results at all that are from actual, non Kevin Smith, non Dan Brown sources.

I was just pointing out that you can't be the last descendent of anyone if you have a child.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
also true.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ok, the penultimate scion. A scion. :)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Pretty sure scion is only a Dogma/Dan Brown thing. That or a car.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Even Dan Brown has some basis in his stuff, even if said basis is some obscure conspiracy theory. Scion wouldn't be out of place in equally obscure apocrypha.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, weird, Chloe's dad is coming to the show, and he's being played by.... MAZE'S HUSBAND! (in real life, that is).

Kinda wondering if they are gonna hook up and make out in front of Chloe just for the "EW ICK DAD NO" factor.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 4, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How can this show be so good? The acting is always fantastic.

Tom Ellis really sells the not-as-unhinged-as-you-think-hiding-behind-the-wacky-or-am-I role spectacularly. Getting to see him try opening up to his therapist and watching his face as it went from hopeful to "that's what I figured" sort of resignation was great. No words, but you knew exactly how he felt in that moment. Trapped, knowing it would only make things worse, hoping beyond hope that he is wrong, then proving himself right and grudgingly accepting it without anger or malice.

Also, the surprising relationship between Maze and Trixie. Maze is opening up, too, showing a side of herself that nobody else in the show has seen. It showed real vulnerability and humility for her to take that opportunity to put herself on the line and show he true face. It could have gone like Lucifer's reveal (oh my God, everything I believe is wrong), but the innocence of childhood trumps the dogma of professionalism.
Both scenes were tear-jerking in their own way.

And Amenadiel finally coming to terms with the fact that nobody knows what God wants because God doesn't tell anyone, even the angels, was poignant. He doesn't know that Uriel was so sure he knew exactly what God needed and that he was prepared to smite his own mother for it, but that could have easily been Amenadiel. Just think about what he did in S1 to "fall". He thought he was doing the right thing the whole time.

Every single character is getting developed except Chloe. Even Detective Douche is getting a better arc.
Suits me, she's the most boring person on the entire show.

I never thought a show about sympathy for the devil would be my favorite show on TV, but it is. My second favorite is Supergirl, so take that for what it's worth.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wish they wouldn't show Lucifer's devil face, or hire an artist that could make it scary. First time he looked like bacon, this time he looked like an amateur version of Freddy Krueger. Minor complaint though, I really like this show, especially the last two episodes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wormil posted:

I wish they wouldn't show Lucifer's devil face, or hire an artist that could make it scary. First time he looked like bacon, this time he looked like an amateur version of Freddy Krueger. Minor complaint though, I really like this show, especially the last two episodes.

He looked like Lorne from Angel. Only red.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like it previously, but I liked it here where it looked really sad and sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

I didn't like it previously, but I liked it here where it looked really sad and sympathetic.

Same.

It looks like someone who was skinned alive, like Frank from Hellraiser sans Larry-skin.

• Locked thread