Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Here's your general, evergreen, all-purpose anti-Arzy when it comes to 538: despite his name recognition, Nate Silver is not the only person doing what he does, and the other aggregators aren't exactly amateurs either.

Here's what all the bigwigs say about Clinton's chances:

PEC: 99%
HuffPost: 98%
NYT: 87%
538: 68%

Mean: 88%
Median: 92.5%

Silver is baking some assumptions into his model about potential polling error, which may indicate that he's extra prescient and has an edge over the rest, or it could mean he's needlessly underestimating the quality of polls. Either way, he's staking his reputation on being an outlier right now, and your level of panic should be proportionate to whether you think he's correct to be out on that limb.
You do not understand statistics sufficiently enough to comment on this.
That's not bad. It's how most people are. But it's still a fact.

All aggregators somehow assume polling errors. If they didn't, nobody would actually have a percentage, they'd just say "it's gonna be Hillary".
What you're probably referring to is the 538 model's assumption that polling errors are correlated across states. This is a very sensible assumption, and rather typical for modern statistics.

Your intuition to look at multiple poll aggregators and aggregate them is a good one, but what's with the amateur autopsy of stuff above your pay grade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure anywhere requires priests or attorneys to be mandated reporters. The seal of the confessional is actually kindof a big deal.

edit: ok I'm wrong priests are mandated reporters in some states but usually the actual confessional booth is exempted. They're just required to report what they hear outside of confessions.

At first I thought this was somethign the priest learned of during confession but it sounds like it wasnt?

I can see priests being allowed to keep actual confessions of a crime, any crime, confidential. What I can't understand is being silent when a child tells you they're being molested in the context of a confession. A good priest should ask the victim's permission to report, perhaps even strongly recommending reporting them and reenforcing that they're safe and they'll be believed if they do, and then work from there.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Anyone else feel super sad that trumps assault accuser decided to not come forward because of death threats?

Not in a "I'm sad that there was a missed opportunity to slam trump" way but more in a "I'm disgusted by the human race and how people are behaving this election cycle" kind of way

Right here! My wife is taking this very personal. Her interactions with Trump supporters lately have left her felling pretty pessimistic about humanity. I'm the eternal optimist, but days like this really get to me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Northjayhawk posted:

He actually isn't. If Clinton wins by exactly the margin we expect and exactly the states we expect, that doesn't prove his uncertainty wrong. We'd need a hundred years of elections to have enough data to know that he's being too careful. Protecting his reputation is why some of us suspect he's doing this.

True, but people's trust in a given model mostly comes down to optics. If Clinton wins with a comfortable margin, Nate will be known as the guy who underestimated her chances while everyone else was much more confident in her victory.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

Failure to act against something is tacit support of it. loving sending money to it is definitely support of it. When that party literally has a platform of disenfranchisement and opposition of human rights, supporting it is supporting the undermining of democracy and human rights. There's a loving reason Germany's democracy has means to defend itself.
Their house was burnt down.

It's not that somebody just went there and gave them money out of kindness. Their election office was burnt down.

OgreNoah posted:

Giving transphobic racists money isn't going high.
No, but trying to counter an attack on democracy itself even when it entails supporting transphobic racists is.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Northjayhawk posted:

To be fair, the spectacle in THIS election is incredibly loving absurd. I've been interested in presidential elections for almost 30 years, and the 2nd-biggest spectacle in that time frame looks quaint now. We're never going to have another one like this, or God at least I hope not.

Yeah the first US election I paid attention to was 2000, when the biggest dramas I recall were Al Gore doing that intimidating thing at the debate, and hanging chads.

Every election does include spectacle of the rallies and the national conventions though, which are ridiculously over the top from my perspective.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
David Duke lost his poo poo when one of the guys in the debate brought up his felony conviction. A clip should pop up.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

This would mean Pelosi would be Speaker, Right?

You need a majority. If the GOP has the majority, she's not speaker no matter what. It would be like electing the pope, the house would have to vote over and over again until someone gets it.

At best, if its clear the GOP is unable to pick anyone without help, the Dems can play kingmaker, and offer to help some moderate Republican become speaker in exchange for some promises on votes and amendments. He'd then have to keep those promises, or the Dems make a motion to vacate the speaker's seat.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Deceptive Thinker posted:

People were thinking this when Boehner resigned - it's not going to happen unless the Republican party actually fractures

Dear lord let it fracture :pray:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont understand the arzying at all. There is absolutely no way trump wins.

(edit: if he does, i'll do that thing people do who nearly died in some freak incident where you stare into space and quietly laugh for half an hour.)

I'll be doing this if he wins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfK5JyD2bA

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just saw an Anti-Hillary NRA ad here in the pivotal swing state of Maryland. The tagline was "Defeat Hillary" not "Vote Trump", which I thought was interesting. It had really bad production values.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/wesenzinna/status/793926027722358784
dapl

https://twitter.com/dcbigjohn/status/793970491966881792
david duke debate

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/793948758941847552
percentage of early votes versus 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cingulate posted:

All aggregators somehow assume polling errors. If they didn't, nobody would actually have a percentage, they'd just say "it's gonna be Hillary".

I didn't say anywhere in that post that they don't or shouldn't account for polling error at all. I'm simply saying that Silver is making assumptions other aggregators aren't, a statement that you yourself just supported in your post. You're not teaching me anything I don't already know.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/793975890065653760
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/793974382049771520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0SyfaX4bcs

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I'd really like to see Texas on these lists.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"Hey why does everyone walk away disgusted when we ask them to buy us?
-twitter

"Probably the Jews" replies David Duke, with a chorus of 20000 people

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 3, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

True, but people's trust in a given model mostly comes down to optics. If Clinton wins with a comfortable margin, Nate will be known as the guy who underestimated her chances while everyone else was much more confident in her victory.
A comfortable margin is absolutely inside the values supported by Nate's model.

His "fault" is that he is not making a specific prediction. He is saying uncertainty is high. If Clinton wins high, if Trump wins by a bit, both are possible under his model.

An upset to his model would be a massive Trump win or an absolute, never heard before Clinton blowout. A 5-point Clinton win, not so much.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Add indiana is at around 80% for 2012 and on pace to surpass.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

How does a second dude also have David Duke's uniquely hosed up face there.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
These trump ads during the world series are loving annoying.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Lol, I just saw an actual Trump ad. Are the world series buys nationwide, or is he honestly trying to win Baltimore?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

How does a second dude also have David Duke's uniquely hosed up face there.

I love how all the Democrats actually have human faces, the GOP all look like people wearing human skins or trolls.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

skylined! posted:

These trump ads during the world series are loving annoying.

Mute button is going to get some work for the next 3 hours.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Lol, I just saw an actual Trump ad. Are the world series buys nationwide, or is he honestly trying to win Baltimore?

I think it's a nationwide NRA buy for Trump.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Spiffster posted:

I love how all the Democrats actually have human faces, the GOP all look like people wearing human skins or trolls.

not so sure. Campbell looks like a walking beet, there

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Nate Silver is part of the Lügenpresse establishment - WAY too easy on Trump. I hope Hillary throws Nate in prison

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/793969928516694016
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/793974391646355457

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

I am not a white supremacist says the man who quoted a Wyatt Mann comic in response to a picture of a burnt church.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cingulate posted:

His "fault" is that he is not making a specific prediction. He is saying uncertainty is high. If Clinton wins high, if Trump wins by a bit, both are possible under his model.

An upset to his model would be a massive Trump win or an absolute, never heard before Clinton blowout. A 5-point Clinton win, not so much.

It's not about statistical rigorisity, it's about public perception. Most people don't care about the underlying assumptions of a model, they just want someone who can correctly identify the winner. Why listen to the guy whose model has high uncertainty when you have another model which shows the same results but with much more confidence?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Cingulate posted:

Yea. Right now, PEC is at Hillary +3.1%, 317 EV.
538 is at... Hillary +3.3%, 296 EV.

They're really not particularly far off. Nate, right this instant, has Nevada going Clinton where PEC has it going Trump. 538 has FL going Trump while PEC has it going Clinton. That's pretty much the extent of the difference. It's just that Nate's got a lot more error bar.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/793923924321067008

they make good points about why you should vote trump white people.

Why does this look painted?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I got the same one on Long Island, so I think it's safe to say it's a national buy

Unless Trump has made some serious progress in New York the past couple days :tinfoil:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not about statistical rigorisity, it's about public perception. Most people don't care about the underlying assumptions of a model, they just want someone who can correctly identify the winner. Why listen to the guy whose model has high uncertainty when you have another model which shows the same results but with much more confidence?
In principle yes, though in the long run, you want somebody who is calibrated well.

Mukaikubo posted:

Yea. Right now, PEC is at Hillary +3.1%, 317 EV.
538 is at... Hillary +3.3%, 296 EV.

They're really not particularly far off. Nate, right this instant, has Nevada going Clinton where PEC has it going Trump. 538 has FL going Trump while PEC has it going Clinton. That's pretty much the extent of the difference. It's just that Nate's got a lot more error bar.
Yes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ugh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cingulate posted:

In principle yes, though in the long run, you want somebody who is calibrated well.

By your own admission, you don't know that it is calibrated well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Iodised QQ posted:

I got the same one on Long Island, so I think it's safe to say it's a national buy

Unless Trump has made some serious progress in New York the past couple days :tinfoil:

I'd like to think that since he's stiffing his internal pollsters, they've started to feed him hilariously wrong poll results.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

It has to be nationwide, I've been seeing ads like that in Boston.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Sure, but with elections only happening every four years and so many factors changing in the interim, identifying the best model is no easy feat. Maybe Nate's assumptions are the most accurate ones. Or maybe Wang is right and presidential elections are actually very stable because they mostly come down to fundamentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Why does this look painted?

It has excellent composition with well placed expressions and focal points of interest. There's a story going on in every section and area.

• Locked thread