Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like the bad kickstarter game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I like this game, but I also hate this game

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

everythingWasBees posted:

it's backwards compatible so it might actually if most of their problems are issues with the engine

That's some good stuff then. I'm sure they're checking it out :)

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

nerdz posted:

you're talking about cabbagepots and yeah

nice thanks.

looks like his game is just about as extant as barkley 2, but his thread is dead and old and 1.18025751073% the size of this one at the time of this posting including this post.

toggers... win?

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Just did some late night streaming of Barkley2 gun's. Just passed 80% gun's!!! Yeah!

Also, looked at GMS2 today, watched a video showing some of the big interface improvements (on stream actually, you can watch my LIVE REACTIONS if you watch the VOD) and its really impressive, I am very likely to start using this myself once it gets out of its awkward early phase and has the kinks ironed out. Lots of the room editor improvements are music to my ears, and the proper code autocomplete stuff for local variables, jeeze, about darn time!

But as for Barkley2, its a bit more complicated. The game is really big, and its possible porting it to GMS2 could take a lot of work. Lots of weird things we're doing might behave differently, and the game is so big that finding all of these differences could take a long time, since everything we considered to be working fine up until now could suddenly be broken, even without having changed them.
We already get this problem whenever we even just update GMS1! We have actually stopped updating GMS1 like half a year ago because every update brings a host of new bugs every time, that always take a while to find and fix. It means we miss out on some improvements, but at least we don't have to re-test everything all the time, things are more stable.

A switch would need to bring really considerable advantages for us to seriously consider it. Many of GMS2's improvements are in the interface and with usability, something we don't consider to be really worth the switch so far. The new room editor is a lot better than the old one, but we haven't been using Game Maker's own room editor anyway, so that's not really an issue for us. If there are also considerable speed improvements however, and compile speed improvements as well, it might be more worth it, but only up until a point.
Our compiles take several minutes right now, which make playtesting and fine-tuning tedious, but we built some in-game tools to help us fine tune enemies during runtime to cut down on the constant re-compiling to test tweaks, so that issue is also already dealt with, to a certain degree.

I might consider porting some of my own projects to GMS2 once it gets out of beta. My platformer Sluggy's Tiny Adventure uses minuscule 8x8 tiles for the level graphics, so the room editor improvements (including a ZOOM in the tile palette) would help me a great deal. If I decide to bite the bullet and remake my horror RPG in game maker, I will probably go with GMS2.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
thanks for posting frankie

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
You've got like seven years left, that's plenty of time to port over to a new engine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Modus Pwnens posted:

You've got like seven years left, that's plenty of time to port over to a new engine.

That's true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owbnvee4JLc

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Tales of Games's can take all the time they need. If I am in a nursing home wearing Depends playing newly-released Barkley 2, I will be a happy pants making GBS threads old man.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

staplegun posted:

Is Tides of Numenera supposed to be bad? I know nothing about it other than it's a spiritual sequel to P:T, the Best Video Game of All Time. That and it's been in EA since loving forever which I don't know why the hell anyone would play through an RPG of all things in EA.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The best part of P:T was the writing.

Numenera is by the studio that did Wasteland 2, a game where the writing quality ranges from "wasteland fanfiction" to "acceptably mediocre for a video game."

It might turn out to be alright (not sure what the actual gameplay will be like), but hoping for another Planescape is just gonna get you hurt.

Most of the gameplay changes they implemented seem to be really good, moving it away from Baldur's Gate default assumptions and emphasizing the story and reactivity instead. It's hard to tell from videos, but the writing doesn't look bad. And it has most of the design team from the original.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Both Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numera or whatever the gently caress chugged my machine way harder than modern FPSes and I just don't love isometric-view RPGs that much any more. I am looking forward to the slim clean lines of Barkley 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know why people keep making these, they all look terrible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why people keep making these, they all look terrible.

what if man of steel, was in color

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

what if man of steel, was in color

Thats the opposite of what theyre doing though. What if Nintendo thing had the lighting of a Gears of War game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Thats the opposite of what theyre doing though. What if Nintendo thing had the lighting of a Gears of War game.

They put some effort into models and environs but then they just plop it into default lighting settings that don't actually look good with Nintendo's art at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

it's the opposite in execution but the same idea. zen much. game on

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

My uncle at Nintendo says they're going to bundle Barkley 2 with the new Zelda to get more people to buy into the Hyrulian franchise.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
With all the terrible events going on... I come back to this thread, am reminded for the umpteenth time that Barkley 2 is coming, and things feel a little better.

e: T-18d until the fourth year anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Node fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 10, 2016

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I hope this game got funny trump memes that will still be funny 20 years from now (by that I mean the game will be out in 20 years hehe)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My inside source told me they will be making an official announcement of the project's cancellation next March.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is it true there is going to be a character whose dream is to make a jrpg about the french revolution set in Japan but he adamantly refuses to include guillotines in any way because they don't fit in with his romanticized view of the revolutionary french?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Barkley 2 is actually trump's america IRL

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

nerdz posted:

Barkley 2 is actually trump's america IRL

...so that's why the dev cycle's been so long.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

OMG its all making sense :aaaaa:

We are Barkley 2

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm so excited for the anniversary!!!

Fear and awe in your eyes
Showing you what you can't see
Reaching hands, you are blind
Staring down eternity
Without us you can't see now
Searching hands, you are blind
Staring down eternity

Hope, despair in your mind
***** your hands until they bleed
Showing you what you can't find
Staring through eternity

Without us you are free now
Seek now what you cannot find
Staring through eternity

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to two computer games - this, and Dark Souls 2.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

BUTTERWORBS posted:

game looks g reat cant wait for the late 2013 release

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If Owlboy can finally come out so can Barkley 2. Never stop dreamin.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Node posted:

I'm so excited for the anniversary!!!

Showing you what you can't see
Reaching hands, you are blind
Staring down eternity
Without us you can't see now
Searching hands, you are blind
Staring down eternity

***** your hands until they bleed
Showing you what you can't find
Staring through eternity

Without us you are free now
Seek now what you cannot find
Staring through eternity

Eternity is my alarm on Fridays.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sep 12, 2013 08:53

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

does..does this mean its happening

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

yes

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I already told you guys, official cancellation announcement march 2017

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

SeXReX posted:

I already told you guys, official cancellation announcement march 2017

Community AND Futurama... you are a TRUE nerd good sir. LOL.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Cheen posted:

Community AND Futurama... you are a TRUE nerd good sir. LOL.

radioactive chair owns bones

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Happy 20th birthday Space Jam!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Barkley... Two.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

sinking belle posted:

Barkley... Two.

Mystical Greetings,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
will barkley two incorporate any farming or ranching? id like to see the ol togsters take on things like stardew valley/harvest moon

bball farm