Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If only cricket didn't die, then we would have a Billie Dean vs cricket TV psychic battle in the most haunted house in America

Which is my pitch for season 7 please make this happen Ryan Murphy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly the 'meta' aspect of this season bugs me a little because it seems like cheap, lazy storytelling. You really need to be careful when you're playing with the audience's expectation of what's real and what's not. If what we're seeing in episodes 6-9 is just another TV show I'm going to feel ripped off.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Well think about it this way: Everybody but one person dies, right? What are all those ghosts gonna get up to? It'd be a good Season One callback

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Honestly the 'meta' aspect of this season bugs me a little because it seems like cheap, lazy storytelling. You really need to be careful when you're playing with the audience's expectation of what's real and what's not. If what we're seeing in episodes 6-9 is just another TV show I'm going to feel ripped off.

They are using it lazily which is the shame. You can do a lot of neat things with the idea of a flawed recreation of a flawed recalling of a real event. Like the the fact that the crazy inbred hill folk were portrayed 100% exactly correct in the "show" vs "real life" is just lame for instance. As far as we can tell the tv show recreation was pretty much spot on, as was the recollection of the survivors. The only instance of incongruity is with Lee and whether or not she killed Mason. There was a huge potential to add subtlety to the season and they blasted right past that to get on with the murderin'. Honestly so far the only detail I've seen that was a nice usage of the "reality tv" vs "reality" is that when they were setting up the house, the Producer showed a television flicker on and start playing the ranting professor video. Only it was the original video and professor and not the recreated version they had on the show, so had a different guy than we'd seen before. I wish there had been more of that going on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think a good pay-off though will be that Shelby really did kill Matt under duress, they got it on camera, and they're going to wait until the end of taping their show to do anything about it. Everybody else's deaths were faked.

But then the actual ghosts show up at the end to kill everybody but one person, and it's the producer who lives. That'd get so much hate.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The thought crossed my mind that they could pull a Joe Schmo and that everyone in is on the ruse except a single person. Based on the injuries and deaths, that would suggest the actor for Matt, the so called "bad guy." Then again, you could also do British Shelby and even newly alcoholic Lee. Maybe that's the twist, everyone is trying to terrify the actors of the original trio.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm finally slogging my way through season 5; Angela Bassett's blaxploitation backstory was good fun, but a lot of it, like vampire kid school massacre is just dumb.

But it also makes me want s7 to be nothing but Dennis O'Hare and Kathy Bates hanging out. They wouldn't even have to play characters!

O'Hare's super casual 'Oh hi Matt' when he'd been partially cannibalized this season still kills me.

April
Jul 3, 2006

So far, I am loving this season. Murphy & Co. have done a much better job of controlling the storylines, and following through in ways that aren't completely ridiculous. That said, they did leave one major (I think) plot point dangling again. What about Cricket? Why wasn't his death treated with as much suspicion as Mason's? The circumstances were the same - a person was killed, and there were only 3 other people in the house who could've done it. I'm thinking either:

1) There was no real Cricket. The whole psychic thing was just embellishment.
2) Cricket was there, did some mumbo jumbo, but didn't die (slightly less embellishment).
3) There's actually a good reason he hasn't been mentioned yet, and it'll come back later and be explained in an acceptable way.
4) Ryan & his crew can't tell a story without leaving a bunch of big plot lines dangling in midair till they die of old age and drift away.

Thoughts?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

April posted:

So far, I am loving this season. Murphy & Co. have done a much better job of controlling the storylines, and following through in ways that aren't completely ridiculous. That said, they did leave one major (I think) plot point dangling again. What about Cricket? Why wasn't his death treated with as much suspicion as Mason's? The circumstances were the same - a person was killed, and there were only 3 other people in the house who could've done it. I'm thinking either:

1) There was no real Cricket. The whole psychic thing was just embellishment.
2) Cricket was there, did some mumbo jumbo, but didn't die (slightly less embellishment).
3) There's actually a good reason he hasn't been mentioned yet, and it'll come back later and be explained in an acceptable way.
4) Ryan & his crew can't tell a story without leaving a bunch of big plot lines dangling in midair till they die of old age and drift away.

Thoughts?

I'm also really enjoying this season. I hadn't really liked any of the seasons after season 1, except the first half of Freak Show, especially the clown storyline. It seems like they realized they shouldn't being drawing seasons out so long and thankfully figured out that 10 episodes is a better format.

Cricket and the professor, both murdered but i guess no bodies found like Mason? I'm waiting for the extras to roll up to the house and run into the real pitchfork and torch ghost mob.

I'm wondering about the Tate ghost in the tunnel and how the real sister knew it could only stay in the tunnel or the lady gaga ghost (maybe that was Farmiga making her appearance this season?) in the basement and whether or not it's bound to stay there as well.

Really hoping the 10th episode is the lone survivor being prosecuted for murder and the real details of the first nine episodes being laid out in court.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm still hoping that Cricket's ghost shows up and none of the actors understand who he is because he's played by Dylan mcDermott or similar and acts really un-flamboyant.

LadyPictureShow posted:

But it also makes me want s7 to be nothing but Dennis O'Hare and Kathy Bates hanging out. They wouldn't even have to play characters!

They should be playing all the characters. All the time.

I also want to know how Angela Bassett can look younger than me when she's older than my parents.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Luvcow posted:

I'm also really enjoying this season. I hadn't really liked any of the seasons after season 1, except the first half of Freak Show, especially the clown storyline. It seems like they realized they shouldn't being drawing seasons out so long and thankfully figured out that 10 episodes is a better format.

Cricket and the professor, both murdered but i guess no bodies found like Mason? I'm waiting for the extras to roll up to the house and run into the real pitchfork and torch ghost mob.

I'm wondering about the Tate ghost in the tunnel and how the real sister knew it could only stay in the tunnel or the lady gaga ghost (maybe that was Farmiga making her appearance this season?) in the basement and whether or not it's bound to stay there as well.

Really hoping the 10th episode is the lone survivor being prosecuted for murder and the real details of the first nine episodes being laid out in court.

I think with the professor, he had been an eccentric hermit for so long that with the lack of a body, they just assumed he was off being solitary somewhere. Also, if they had investigated the family's story about the professor at all, they would've found the Polks' grow operation.

Cricket, however, was somewhat of a public personality - didn't he have kind of a following for his powers, and said he worked with the FBI at one point? I haven't rewatched, so could be off base. But I would think that his death would've warranted the same level of scrutiny as Mason's, if not more.

Maybe it's because Mason's murder had an obvious suspect (the angry ex-wife) and Cricket's didn't?

And my idea for the finale is that all of this "second season" is fake as well. The first season was a huge success, so Sydney figured out that he could bring everyone back, persuaded Agnes that this could be the role of her lifetime, had everyone sign ironclad nondisclosure agreements, and made his own War of the Worlds phenomenon. None of them are actually dead.

Then, the 10th episode is the cast reunion/roundtable in the house, during the blood moon. There's a smarmy host asking questions and commenting on the massive ratings, how many viewers were making GBS threads the bed, that it's such groundbreaking television, and the actors are chatting about their favorite death scenes, who they loved and hated working with, what surprised them the most, and then... BOOM! the real ghosts show up and slaughter all but one person. And that person is Cricket.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

April posted:

And my idea for the finale is that all of this "second season" is fake as well. The first season was a huge success, so Sydney figured out that he could bring everyone back, persuaded Agnes that this could be the role of her lifetime, had everyone sign ironclad nondisclosure agreements, and made his own War of the Worlds phenomenon. None of them are actually dead.

Then, the 10th episode is the cast reunion/roundtable in the house, during the blood moon. There's a smarmy host asking questions and commenting on the massive ratings, how many viewers were making GBS threads the bed, that it's such groundbreaking television, and the actors are chatting about their favorite death scenes, who they loved and hated working with, what surprised them the most, and then... BOOM! the real ghosts show up and slaughter all but one person. And that person is Cricket.

ok I'm hoping for this now

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If we believe the story, an Uber driver saw Cricket run off into the woods. Cricket was never seen again. He's probably presumed dead by now if he hasn't been seen in 2 years, but that doesn't really point a finger at anyone. He could have been killed by the Uber driver. He could have been killed by the hillbillies. He could have popped out somewhere and gotten gay bashed by a local. He could have simply gotten lost in the woods and died of exposure or whatever lost people die of in the wilderness of North Carolina.

Lee had a clear motive to kill Mason: she was about to lose her daughter. Nobody has a clear motive to kill Cricket.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I haven't watched the last episode but I guess I was wrong in my speculations of Matt or Agnes surviving. Oh well.
What happened to those two kids? Can someone please tell me who the mother is of the 2 pigling teat twins? Didn't the Polk hillbilly have a thing with Gaga witch?

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

kjetting posted:

I also want to know how Angela Bassett can look younger than me when she's older than my parents.

I asked my brother's girlfriend about this exact thing the other day when we were talking about the past season, and she simply said black don't crack.
I think Angela Basset really is Marie Laveau though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MadSparkle posted:

I haven't watched the last episode but I guess I was wrong in my speculations of Matt or Agnes surviving. Oh well.
What happened to those two kids? Can someone please tell me who the mother is of the 2 pigling teat twins? Didn't the Polk hillbilly have a thing with Gaga witch?

They haven't said, but all the options are pretty grim, having the witch be the mom is actually the least bad of the likely scenarios. Grandma could be the mom, she looks pretty rough but it's possible she had kids in her late 40s. The mother could be a member of Polk clan who died in childbirth, leading to using a pig as a wet nurse. The mother(s) could could have been random women who were abducted, impregnated, and then killed after the birth because there were no Polk women of childbearing age left.

We'll probably never find out.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If we believe the story, an Uber driver saw Cricket run off into the woods. Cricket was never seen again. He's probably presumed dead by now if he hasn't been seen in 2 years, but that doesn't really point a finger at anyone. He could have been killed by the Uber driver. He could have been killed by the hillbillies. He could have popped out somewhere and gotten gay bashed by a local. He could have simply gotten lost in the woods and died of exposure or whatever lost people die of in the wilderness of North Carolina.

Lee had a clear motive to kill Mason: she was about to lose her daughter. Nobody has a clear motive to kill Cricket.

I'd be inclined to believe this if there had been any indication the original survivors had lied at any point, but sadly there hasn't been. But still time for ghost Cricket!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In an ideal world, the lone survivor would be Agnes. She would just keep showing up and getting shot or bludgeoned or set on fire, we'd think she's dead, and next time we see her she's sitting in the bunker tending to her growing number of injuries and rambling to the camera.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
I'm not sure what it says about the show that I completely missed episode 6 and the only thing that wasn't brought up in episode 7 was the "Only one survives!" thing. What a completely pointless episode.

I'm really enjoying the season, but god drat does it spin its wheels too much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Luvcow posted:

Ryan Murphy revealed in an interview before the last episode that the 3 survivors didn't necessarily tell the truth about what happened at the house. We caught a glimpse of this with the real nurses being much more disturbing-looking than the reenactment versions. I get the feeling the real Mott ghost wasn't nearly as friendly or pretty as Rory portrayed him.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

chitoryu12 posted:

Ryan Murphy revealed in an interview before the last episode that the 3 survivors didn't necessarily tell the truth about what happened at the house. We caught a glimpse of this with the real nurses being much more disturbing-looking than the reenactment versions. I get the feeling the real Mott ghost wasn't nearly as friendly or pretty as Rory portrayed him.

Ya exactly, I'm wondering if they'd run into it previously in the tunnel and knew a lot more about it. Also I laughed my rear end off in episode 5 where the Mott ghost shows up out of nowhere with a knife and cuts their ropes then leads them to freedom, it was like a live action scooby doo scene.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Facebook Aunt posted:

The Uber driver could've flipped out over the 'gay for pay' line...

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure the rednecks didn't cut off Lee's leg. I think they are loving with the three women because they saw how they were portrayed on the show and are pissed. There is no way you make jerky that quickly. Besides, them prepping Lee's leg just seemed like they were messing with her.

Or at least I hope that is what is happening. I hope this show is better written than that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The preview showed a brief shot of Lee with two legs but one of them pretty messed up looking.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The meat that they were eating just looked raw, it didn't look like jerky.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So why does the redneck shack have its own hidden cameras?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I mostly cant believe we haven't heard a single racist slur from the rednecks. Maybe seeing that ghosts can literally exist and murder people have made them realize the common fragility of man and they accept all creeds equally

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

So why does the redneck shack have its own hidden cameras?

It's a weed grow op. The cameras are for security. They can monitor their various hideouts remotely from their smartphones, so they don't get surprised. That's why the cops couldn't find them.

They may be in league with supernatural forces, they may be inbred hillbillies, cannibals, drug lords, poachers, and murderers, but they aren't luddites.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I read that Ryan Murphy revealed one of the connections to a prior season that'll be revealed later on: Lana Winters (Sarah Paulson's character from Asylum) will make an appearance by the end of the season.

My guess is that Winters scores the exclusive interview with Lee after she survives the slaughter/gets charged with the murders. I mean it's ridiculous, but this is AHS so it's not far-fetched.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

That's something I've been thinking about a lot. We got a split second view of the nurses, but they clearly looked...worse off. So did the colonists ghosts, all grey and ghastly. The thing is, ghosts in the AHS universe look like they did when they die, so why do these ghosts look scary?

E: The one exception I can think of are the Murder House nurses, who didn't look exactly like their living selves, but they still had a reasonably human skin color, so :shrug:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We also saw the pigman in the car, and it also looked grayer and more messed up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That's something I've been thinking about a lot. We got a split second view of the nurses, but they clearly looked...worse off. So did the colonists ghosts, all grey and ghastly. The thing is, ghosts in the AHS universe look like they did when they die, so why do these ghosts look scary?

Magic? If the early exposition was right at all these aren't just normal murder ghosts, they were part of sacrificial rituals.

Or we're stuck with a story within a story, and these ghosts aren't real either.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Magic? If the early exposition was right at all these aren't just normal murder ghosts, they were part of sacrificial rituals.

Or we're stuck with a story within a story, and these ghosts aren't real either.

Yeah I figure the whole old God / blood moon thing is entirely different ghost rules than normal AHS ghost rules; the Halloween rule doesn't even seem to apply, for example.

They're less ghost-ghosts and more bound-spirits, I guess?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I keep wondering if the season's ever going to get back to the breathing / heaving earth and the rain of teeth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Open Source Idiom posted:

I keep wondering if the season's ever going to get back to the breathing / heaving earth and the rain of teeth.

:happened:
Shelby is the only one who saw either of those things, right? And she's a high strung city slicker who was uncomfortable there from day one. The most unreliable narrator. She imagined it, or made it up, or the show's special effects guy invented it because he thought it would be a cool effect.

I mean, it could tie into the 'ancient nature gods' thing rather than the cranky ghosts thing. Hail is the god's teeth raining down. The earth is the god's flesh heaving. The witch ties in older religions, and once you bring animism into it anything can be alive. Shelby is the one who sees the truth because, as a yoga master, she is more in tune with the natural world than most modern folk, etc.

So there are a couple ways they could explain it, but I'm betting it's never brought up again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i wish shelby emerges the final survivor so i can finally have my wish come true where she turns the house into a yoga retreat full of murderghosts

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

kjetting posted:

They should be playing all the characters. All the time.

She uses Delphine's patented beauty treatment :v:

Anybody know why Alexandra Breckinridge hasn't been on the show since a small part in season 3? I know she used to date Evan Peters, wondering if that's why she hasn't been on for several seasons. That's the thing I like about the ensemble cast with a lot of them showing up season after season in different roles. It's fun to see what they get to 'be' every different season, but it's a bummer when some of the actors don't come back.

I am also secretly hoping the big twist at the end of the season is a previous season's ghosts coming back. Give us Spalding or Mordrake, or Hell, Papa Legba. Lance Reddick as a cocaine snorting voodoo spirit was probably my favorite part of the borefest that was S3. I know it wouldn't make a drat bit of sense, but I don't watch this show for high art, yanno?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mmm pickled ears

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Welp Lee killed Mason, like everyone knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
Oh poo poo, teeth rain actually kind of came back?

• Locked thread