Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe we could each rig up some sort of catapult...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

I say a good idea would be anyone who just wants to send funds go ahead and send to angryrobots PayPal if he is ok with that and then he or I can work together moving funds wherever
I would prefer to wait until we have a decided upon plan. It may be that someone else is a better choice (because of who they bank with perhaps, I don't with BoA) to move the funds to Dave.

Although I am fine with handling it, if it turns out I can continue in that role efficiently. As of right now, we have no way to send Dave any funds, and I'd rather not be holding onto other people's money.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

everdave posted:

I already talked to angryrobots but in the morning I am going to check on reloada le cards at the dollar store and let everyone know about fees and stuff. If we find one easily reloadable online with low fees I'm happy to do the initial purchase and send it out to 14 and then we can coordinate funds from whoever wants to participate later. I say a good idea would be anyone who just wants to send funds go ahead and send to angryrobots PayPal if he is ok with that and then he or I can work together moving funds wherever

They're pretty much all Greendot, so we'll have the same problem of having to buy the card, pay $5 to load it, and only be able to refill it with MoneyPak.

Wells Fargo has something called "SurePay" which seems to be like an ACH (check) transfer, and it works with any bank, but still takes about 3 days.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 3, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hear Wells Fargo will open new accounts for drat near anyone at the drop of a hat. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I hear Wells Fargo will open new accounts for drat near anyone at the drop of a hat. :v:

:golfclap:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

:keke:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Fat chance, I know, but is there a credit union in the area that might play ball with wire transfers??

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Fat chance, I know, but is there a credit union in the area that might play ball with wire transfers??

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Wow, I had no idea there were areas of the USA that Bank of America *didn't* operate. Color me surprised.

After thinking about this for a little bit the only options I can think of in no certain order of safety vs efficiency:

*B of A mails 14 a replacement debit card. The rest of us send money to a point of contact who deposits the funds into 14's B of A account.

*14 opens or upgrades an existing paypal account to a business account so he can get a paypal debit/mastercard and receive funds directly.

* Someone collects paypal payments, takes it out in cash and sends the cash to 14 in a well concealed manner (maybe even a lockable pelican case like the studios use to send hard drives to theaters)

* See if there are any local credit unions 14 can open up in his name. Someone else with a credit union account (myself/I'd volunteer) could collect paypal payments, withdraw into a CU account and transfer to 14's newly minted account.

*Same concept with opening up an account with a local non CU bank and 14 set up a wire transfer between his BofA account and the new account.

*Reloadable money card as previously suggested.

*Western Union. The Pilot truck stop in Murdo is an agent location.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Someone with an amex could have a second card issued to Dave, overnighted to Valentine, and then place a spending cap on it.

Edit: or any issuer really, I've just had good luck with Amex getting me a new card in <24 hours.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Can't speak for BoA, but once wf verifiea my ID, they will overnight a card to me anywhere if I eat the bill (otherwise they send it usps).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also, here is the rest of the conversation after talking finance:

14 INCH posted:

i ewas also offered a couch inside but until it gets too lovely or too cold i like my little camping hole so thats why i asked for the insulation to line the roof and inside rears

its getting turmed into a 4 door cherokee panel delivery inside basically

Me: Gotcha. Have 120v electricity at your Nebraska panel van base camp?

14 INCH posted:

at the house yeah

Me:Will they let you run extension cord? Asking because thread thinks a combustion heater is bad idea. Could run small electric unit without CO2

14 INCH posted:

does thread know i dont intend on it being for indoors orconfined spaces or is it a grass field thing. once im geared and moving its literally a sundown get my hands working outdoors plan

i could run cord but house is a few hundred feet away and heaters pull amps

Me: Ha, thread had impression that heater was for inside base camp, yes. Ok then

Set on tools?

14 INCH posted:

ive got permission to use what i need at the house too its just the irl autonomy of the trip so far im digging

decent enough 5/8 spark socket preferred w integrated low profile universal at the end my snap on was with gremlin and the roadside replacement was loving shorter than a plug so itd go on either plug or extension not both

specifically the probe tip only for a powerprobe III (3) itll help with trouble shooting once juice is live

i may have identified their firewall clearance issues it involves trans and drive shaft angles will look further in amtoday was recoup day

dude seems incredibly open to parting w fastback will research it further as truck work continues and progresses but it is a side goal to bring it home pls check if type 3 tow bars exist or can be made as jeep has a solidly mounted hitch port

Me: Your bank account with money in it...Could you get a debit card from your bank mailed to you?

14 INCH posted:

oh ill ask

also forgot to mentioned it irl laughed at i think rhynos right at home comment. i have a thick skin and very very few off limits areas only a total sociopath would even consider to use so nobody feel afraid to fire off poo poo like that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What about carrier pigeon?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

What about carrier pigeon?

He ate the last two.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Maybe we could each rig up some sort of catapult...

Please. Trebuchet or nothing. If your siege weapons don't have counterweights, then I don't know what to tell you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hell yes on the VW find out what it takes to get it and maybe after this adventure I will put up 14 in TN and we can restore it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Who's got rosie?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the homeowner a goon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the homeowner a goon?

djdanno I think?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Correct. Djdanno is the property owner there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you think he's ready for this?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Do you think he's ready for this?

No one is, and that's what makes it exciting

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe once 14" Roadwarror has a working smart phone the venmo app could be used for sending monies?
Once you tie it to your debit card the transfers are almost immediate with no fees.
Could transfer to any checking account and withdraw funds as needed at ATM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, you can send money over Facebook these days.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Beenz, or Flooz?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

Maybe once 14" Roadwarror has a working smart phone the venmo app could be used for sending monies?
Once you tie it to your debit card the transfers are almost immediate with no fees.
Could transfer to any checking account and withdraw funds as needed at ATM.

If he had a debit card now, he/we would be flush with options. :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

angryrobots posted:

Set on tools?

14 INCH posted:

decent enough 5/8 spark socket preferred w integrated low profile universal at the end my snap on was with gremlin and the roadside replacement was loving shorter than a plug so itd go on either plug or extension not both

specifically the probe tip only for a powerprobe III (3) itll help with trouble shooting once juice is live

Care package from amazon.com inbound, hopefully it will take care of these two items plus some other... essentials.

I picked the fastest delivery option I could but it says it won't arrive until tuesday.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 3, 2016

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm confused. Do we have an address where 14 is? (I assume djdanno's address?)
As far as I know Everdave and angryrobots were the current points of contacts...
(I sent a laptop screen to Everdave today for use to refurbish a laptop to send to 14....)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Panaflex posted:

As far as I know Everdave and angryrobots were the current points of contacts...
(I sent a laptop screen to Everdave today for use to refurbish a laptop to send to 14....)

The Dump Truck Out in the Field Next to the Bitchin' Van
Valentine, Nebraska 69201

should be good enough. It's not that big of a town.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Overnight/next day a cashier's check. Cashable at any bank. Not worth it for small amounts of money, though.

Opening a local bank account might require lying about home address and/or trigger fraud protection because 14's home addy is out of state.

Paypal djdanno?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Panaflex posted:

Yep and yep (afaik, anyway).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Overnight/next day a cashier's check. Cashable at any bank. Not worth it for small amounts of money, though.

Opening a local bank account might require lying about home address and/or trigger fraud protection because 14's home addy is out of state.

Paypal djdanno?

Yeah, as a serious answer djdanno seems like the obvious target. He can hold all money in escrow for the project and act as banker as necessary to distribute funds. Some simple bookkeeping will keep it all straight. Obviously djdanno's address is the place to send stuff, since that's where they are.

If he's unwilling or unable to be the onsite accountant and banker for the project, we'll have to find an inferior alternative.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If djdanno would be willing to accept a funds transfer via PP, bank transfer or cashier's check (i can get like 2 free per month from my bank), and give cash to Dave, that would help a lot.

I think that some other person may need to remain the "banker", based on:

djdanno13 posted:

Just wanted to mention that all this is being done by Sims and a really really good friend of his. I've been busy with work and haven't put a wrench on this thing, just been cheering from the sidelines.

Edit: I was going to say haven't put a hand on it but that's my goofy rear end running behind the truck as we pushed it down a hill.

So I dunno if djdanno wants the task of managing random PP transfers coming in indefinitely. There's also the fact that this is a MOBILE project/adventure and Dave is hopefully going to be leaving Nebraska ASAP!

Edit: sent djdanno a PM.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 3, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So after the Jeep is the truck. The truck goes to FL. Then somehow get back to Valentine to get the VW.
The VW needs windscreen and possibly motor... what will it take for both of those items?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Where in Florida is Sims? I could probably get 14 a ticket back to SEA with miles, if the earlier comment about him being banned from flying was only a joke.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jealous Cow posted:

Where in Florida is Sims? I could probably get 14 a ticket back to SEA with miles, if the earlier comment about him being banned from flying was only a joke.

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm in Orlando, College Park area.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I can do that. Put me down for a ticket for Dave from MCO to SEA if necessary.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Same as backup or half of it or whatever

what carrier? if same we can split.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

Same as backup or half of it or whatever

what carrier? if same we can split.

United. It's only 12.5k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

In other news, it looks like Dave is getting unseasonably warm working weather in Nebraska.

• Locked thread