Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kramer is my persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

oh jesus christ. It sounds like Sakamato

How did that make it through? Localising Japanese games is meant to be what Altus USA does, surely someone must have noticed it was completely butchered? If it's like that all the way through, I might just have to turn the voices off. It'd be far too distracting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

never mind

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Maybe Atlus should have dubbed the game using a
Middleman

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
My favorite character Ryuji Suhkahmuhtoe

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still don't quite understand how Newman pushed everyone inside those tvs.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
isn't that more or less how it'd be pronounced in Japanese?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, but these are American voice actors and trying to do that poo poo never sounds good. It reminds me of how in Kill La Kill they try to appropriate the Japanese pronunciation of Senketsu so it sounds like Senkets most of the time because Americans don't pronounce things like Japanese speakers do for a good reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Ryuji's voice sucks

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The emphasis is on the wrong syllable; the VA is putting the emphasis on SaKAmoto, whereas in Japanese it's said with the emphasis on SakaMOto.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like his voice. It fits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It completely fails to capture the energy of the character from the Japanese version. I like dubs but this is not a great choice.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Coughing Hobo posted:

The emphasis is on the wrong syllable; the VA is putting the emphasis on SaKAmoto, whereas in Japanese it's said with the emphasis on SakaMOto.

Yeah. For context this is how it should be pronounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkSPrmtKJg&t=13s

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He didn't shout CAPTAIN KIDD in the trailer so I'm reserving judgment

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Name pronunciation aside, he just sounds pretty generic in comparison to Miyano's voice.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I just expected him to sound more... angry considering what we know about the character. I know everyone's sick of Troy Baker these days but comparing the Ryuji lines in that trailer to Kanji is a really stark difference.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

Name pronunciation aside, he just sounds pretty generic in comparison to Miyano's voice.

Tbf, it's hard to compare to Miyano since that dude is ham incarnate along with Fukuyama and Hoshi, but that just exacerbates how lame this cast is that they didn't try to go equally ham and instead just got really generic sounding voices.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Tbf, it's hard to compare to Miyano since that dude is ham incarnate along with Fukuyama and Hoshi, but that just exacerbates how lame this cast is that they didn't try to go equally ham and instead just got really generic sounding voices.

It's not that I want him to ham it up, it's just that he gives a very generic reading with a somewhat flat metonymy. Usually a VOD will ask you to think about why you're saying that line and what feelings are at play, but in this case it feels like he delivered the lines well enough to get a pass but without any concrete or specific emotion behind them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me rephrase what I was saying a bit. Basically, there's not enough definition in anything he's saying. It's all just a bunch of lines delivered decently enough but not in such a way to get you an idea of how the character actually thinks or works. Miyano's voice is bombastic, passionate, and loving loud. Ryuji is so loud in the JP version that there are fans who don't like Ryuji because of that. That's a big part of Ryuji's character though and how he carries himself. Mittelman's voice is very generic, as I've said before. There's nothing terrible about his delivery and his voice fits the character's appearance, but it doesn't feel like he was casted with any attention given towards the character or directed that way either. He just kinda sounds like a dude, which sucks.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Let me rephrase what I was saying a bit. Basically, there's not enough definition in anything he's saying. It's all just a bunch of lines delivered decently enough but not in such a way to get you an idea of how the character actually thinks or works. Miyano's voice is bombastic, passionate, and loving loud. Ryuji is so loud in the JP version that there are fans who don't like Ryuji because of that. That's a big part of Ryuji's character though and how he carries himself. Mittelman's voice is very generic, as I've said before. There's nothing terrible about his delivery and his voice fits the character's appearance, but it doesn't feel like he was casted with any attention given towards the character or directed that way either. He just kinda sounds like a dude, which sucks.

Exactly this. I think it's a good summary and critique.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
heh heh

more like SUCKamoto

because that particular dub sucks and lacks any energy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They recast for Vic Mognogna

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He'd be better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really though, Kamoshida is the probably more inspired role for Mignogna.

For all the three people who are gonna get that joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

I laughed.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's pretty dark dude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
rude but I laughed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I no get it :saddowns:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bogart posted:

ahahah lookit dis nerd that doesn't get jokes

lmao

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bogart posted:

They are both sexual predators, apparently. Or maybe Kamoshida refuses to sign yaoi fanart of characters he's voiced.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If Dagda is still telling you friends are bad I don't think you've done the route split you're thinking of yet

If you really wanna know:

Siding with Lucifer or Merkabah just ends the game right there, it's definitely "bad end"
The real route split is siding with your friends or siding with Dagda

Thanks for the info.
This wouldn't happen to be in the Cosmic Egg would it? Things have really gone to poo poo here.
Also I know I said I liked Gaston but now he has Gungnir and I like him even more. They really did a great job with the partners in this game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is persona q canon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
yes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sea Sponge Run posted:

is persona q canon

Regrettably, yes. There's a distinct window of time during which it takes place for both parties, albeit set apart due to the time/space anomaly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The entire cast (except maybe Elizabeth and Margaret? I don't remember) either forgets it happened or disappears from existence by the end of it, though.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Technically canon, the worst kind of canon.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my avatar is my persona im very proud of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
not even october anymore!