Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A few games later, and I realized I need to look up how to survivor or how to killer. Only had one escape, and that was because the killer was just swinging without moving. So naturally my team farmed points.

I wanna use the Hillbilly and Wraith, but with the former it's hard to use the ability. And the latter... I dunno, doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Here is the way I understood the beta hook changes (and seeing the devs answer people on twitter) :

you can stay in stage 1 (Pre-Struggle phase) indefinitely. You can only die instantly in this phase if you end up in a hopeless situation (the other survivors all died/got hooked/left the map).

You can either dangle there and wait for someone to rescue you (If you get hooked again, you go straight to struggle phase) or try to escape by yourself (5% base chance, can be improved by the Perk Slippery Meat or luck offerings). Everytime you try and fail, there is a 25% chance that you’ll end up straight in struggle phase. Once that happens, you die after the usual time.

If the killer camps you, he won’t gain anything and the other 3 survivors can just pop all the generators and then, if he’s still camping you, escape.

I only hope they find a way to still reward the guy who got hooked for dangling there the whole match instead if just killing himself by struggling and moving on to the next match.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Indecisive posted:

I'll make it real loving simple for you. Camping is bad because there are exactly 2 things a survivor can do to help their team: Repair Generators and Help Teammates. If you take away the Help Teammates, you only have Repair Generators. Repair Generators is not fun. Help Teammates is fun. Even if you are a killer you should want people to be trying for saves, not chasing them away. Maybe you can do the math and figure out why removing half the game is not a good idea for anyone involved. The more killers that camp, the more it discourages rescues across all games, regardless of if you in particular will let people will try for rescues.

So do you get upset if a killer uses a Mori? He's preventing you from saving anyone because he's killing them outright, so now all you can do is Repair Generators (not sure why this is capitalized) which apparently isn't fun, but is the only way to actually win the game

Are you sure this game is right for you?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Surely the only change this makes is that I hookcamp a guy on the second time rather than the first?

I only play this game to ruin peoples day anyway :shrug:

e: I'd actually like it if the hooks in the basement were the exception to the rule, because its such a pain to get people down there anyway.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

So do you get upset if a killer uses a Mori? He's preventing you from saving anyone because he's killing them outright, so now all you can do is Repair Generators (not sure why this is capitalized) which apparently isn't fun, but is the only way to actually win the game

Are you sure this game is right for you?

one of these things is a single-use offering, one of these is a playstyle you can apply to every game

think about it for 5 seconds

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Considering how save happy everyone is, there is honestly no reason not to sit out and patrol by hooks. People seem to just become really stupid when it comes to trying to save their friends.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Indecisive posted:

one of these things is a single-use offering, one of these is a playstyle you can apply to every game

You didn't answer my question.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

blackguy32 posted:

Considering how save happy everyone is, there is honestly no reason not to sit out and patrol by hooks. People seem to just become really stupid when it comes to trying to save their friends.

I do this all the time and it's hilariously fun :dukedoge:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Does your question have a point other than attacking me?

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Indecisive posted:

Does your question have a point other than attacking me?

1v1 no items, dwight only, autowreckers

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kamikaze Raider posted:

He actually did

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Indecisive posted:

To be fair something being single use is irrelevant because you almost never play the same killer more than once (depending on what time of day you play I suppose). You're as likely to run into a killer using a mori as you are one using a playstyle, and you're equally helpless against the game's mechanics either way. It doesn't matter that it's single use, you only play against him one time.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

blackguy32 posted:

It's because (and this is why there is always calls to do something about "hook camping") a large part of the community only plays survivor and feel they should be able to get rescued/rescue someone all the time with no issue. They don't seem to realize a Killer hooking someone is a reward for the Killer for outplaying a Survivor or a punishment for a Survivor playing badly. For them the Killer should be more like a NPC boss that can be easily thwarted to empower all the Survivors. Does it suck being the first guy hooked? Sure but if I'm the first one chased down, hit twice, and hooked by the Killer in a match I have done something very poorly and the Killer deserves a reward for cashing in on my gently caress up. After that if the Killer camps on me I will drag out my hook time as long as possible and hope the rest of my team capitalizes on that and get generators. Either the Killer will bug out realizing they're gonna lose everyone else and then I have a chance to get rescued or he'll decide to sit on me for one guaranteed kill at the expensive of getting anyone else if they others are competent and will have a very weak win that in the end doesn't pay out much

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 4, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's because (and this is why there is always calls to do something about "hook camping") a large part of the community only plays survivor and feel they should be able to get rescued/rescue someone all the time with no issue. They don't seem to realize a Killer hooking someone is a reward for the Killer for outplaying a Survivor or a punishment for a Survivor playing badly. For them the Killer should be more like a NPC boss that can be easily thwarted to empower all the Survivors. Does it suck being the first guy hooked? Sure but if I'm the first one chased down, hit twice, and hooked by the Killer in a match I have done something very poorly and the Killer deserves a reward for cashing in on my gently caress up. After that if the Killer camps on me I will drag out my hook time as long as possible and hope the rest of my team capitalizes on that and get generators. Either the Killer will bug out realizing they're gonna lose everyone else and then I have a chance to get rescued or he'll decide to sit on me for one guaranteed kill at the expensive of getting anyone else if they others are competent and will have a very weak win that in the end doesn't pay out much

On the other hand, if you discourage hook camping and get Killers to play for points then everyone, including him, makes many more points and people don't get punished for being found first, and the game is more fun for everyone overall. It's win-win!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, you can justify it and talk about why it's done and all, but hook camping is an undesirable and unintended behavior that arose from how the game is designed, which is why the devs are trying to change things so it's no longer desirable. They don't want hook camping, any more than they want infinite juking or other things that aren't fun and/or don't fit the slasher movie feel they're going for, so they're changing it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hook camping is actually cool and neat, especially when you're at the point where you don't need blood points anymore, so just kill someone and camp their rear end and enjoy their anger in chat.

There's truly no better thing, I urge everyone to try it themselves, I have a huge gallery on steam of nothing but salty dudes cause I camped them. :newlol:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm new to the game and not even sure how comprehensive "camping" is as a term. Like If you stand in front of a hook and watch a survivor die, sure that's camping. However, I've gotten called a camper for patrolling the vicinity of the hooked or even just regularly checking up on hooked. It feels like people have the expectation that a killer should give everyone a free hook save.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LostRook posted:

I'm new to the game and not even sure how comprehensive "camping" is as a term. Like If you stand in front of a hook and watch a survivor die, sure that's camping. However, I've gotten called a camper for patrolling the vicinity of the hooked or even just regularly checking up on hooked. It feels like people have the expectation that a killer should give everyone a free hook save.

That's why the infinite hook is the best solution. Killers are freed to roam since survivors won't try to rescue until they leave, and everyone gets a free hook save.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On the other hand, if you discourage hook camping and get Killers to play for points then everyone, including him, makes many more points and people don't get punished for being found first, and the game is more fun for everyone overall. It's win-win!

I guess. Hook camping is so effective because people trip all over themselves trying to rescue people. Why wouldn't you do it if you know 2 or 3 of the survivors are not doing generators and just waiting to help their friend.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I guess. Hook camping is so effective because people trip all over themselves trying to rescue people. Why wouldn't you do it if you know 2 or 3 of the survivors are not doing generators and just waiting to help their friend.

face camping is by far the most objectionable behavior to both the devs and the survivor community and it precludes all rescue; even if you get up in there you literally can't access the hook, and the obstructions in the way preclude using flashlights or whatever. standing 3-4 steps away is still considered lame by the devs and the survivors but you can at least do some stuff with flashlights and DISTRACTION SURVIVOR if you happen to have them so nobody gets quite as up in arms.

this however:

LostRook posted:

However, I've gotten called a camper for patrolling the vicinity of the hooked or even just regularly checking up on hooked.
is just salt and you should laugh at them. if you're moving around near the hook and checking up on a generator nearby or something the devs say you're doing it right and the majority of the survivor community agrees with them. it at least gives people half a chance to grab the hook and get some points.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 5, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget you can farm lethal blink points with the nurse on hooked survivors.

If it still works, I don't use nurse anymore.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

It's like a switch has flipped somewhere...

I've gotten my rear end handed to me in the past 15 trials or so, all of them. And doing that, I've dropped from rank 14 all the way to 20. I guess either killers suddenly got much better or maybe I started to suck even more. But I'm not the only one to get wasted, the three others usually get killed as well.

Oh, and every killer is camping hooks these days. Every. Single. One.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Badchay posted:

I've gotten my rear end handed to me in the past 15 trials or so, all of them. And doing that, I've dropped from rank 14 all the way to 20. I guess either killers suddenly got much better or maybe I started to suck even more. But I'm not the only one to get wasted, the three others usually get killed as well.

Gotta get it in while you can.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Badchay posted:

Same here. I felt like I was getting better at the game but the last dozen I played were just brutal ownings full of hook camping and poo poo. Thank God one out of every three of them took pity on my and threw my dead gay body on the hatch at the end.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Now is a perfect time to come back, there is a double bloodpoints weekend going on right now.

Every bloodpoint you get at the end of the game tallyscreen is going to be doubled. With the new patch coming on the 24th to reduce grinding (50% smaller bloodwebs, the possibility of 2 perks per bloodweb(the one you don’t choose is eaten) after level 10 (and a certainty at 25).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Shame I have to work this weekend, hopefully I can find time to at least get 500k for the new bloodwebs. I managed to get Jake to p3 finally, looking forward to finally have a character with all the perks.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Joined a lot of servers with just 3 players (3 incl me) . A new way to troll or something? The retards quit just before the trial starts

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

We have one generator less but I still count it cheating if server admin has something to do with it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nah that just happens if someone drops while the game is starting. Count yourself lucky you lost a generator.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that crap has been happening since release and the loss of a generator is in no way a fair trade for losing a survivor but sometimes the server bugs out so bad you just get a survivor d/c on load instead of simply not loading in

which means you don't get a generator bonus and the killer gets free points off the bat

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Big update out today, 1.2.2 -> 1.3

http://steamcommunity.com/games/381210/announcements/detail/683815671681905970

Lots of tweaks for perks. They say "drop survivor to avoid DS" exploit is fixed but it appears it's still there.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Looks good mostly, been off the game for a while but might have to come back

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

Hook camping is actually cool and neat, especially when you're at the point where you don't need blood points anymore, so just kill someone and camp their rear end and enjoy their anger in chat.

There's truly no better thing, I urge everyone to try it themselves, I have a huge gallery on steam of nothing but salty dudes cause I camped them. :newlol:

Please share

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm pretty certain every match is peer to peer and the killer is the "host." The disconnects are probably killers and survivors both behind non-open NATs.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
New paid DLC (7$) available tomorrow: 1 new survivor (Ace) and Killer (The Hag). A new map will also be released for free (Backwater swamp). Basically, there are 5 totems now spread out around every map at random that survivors can destroy. If the Hag is present and using her specific perks, those totems give negative effects to survivors until they are found and destroyed. (no need for sabotage or a toolbox to do so). The Hag’s special ability is a sort of trap symbol she draws in mud on the ground. When a survivor approaches the sign, a copy of her pops out of it. She has the option of jumping over to that copy or remain where she is (the body she leaves behind crumbles, I assume). I’m pretty sure that this is going to be another source of jump scares for a while.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's actually a pretty cool killer.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Alteisen posted:

My share of salty dudes is my fellow survivors. I'll obviously try to run and unhook them the best I can but if I KNOW it leads to my certain death, I won't do it.

Example:
1. Killer is right on my tail
2. The Exit is open
3. Someone is hooked in the basement
4. I escape alone, leaving him to die
5. Get called "noob" in post-chat by that guy and that I should uninstall the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Badchay posted:

My share of salty dudes is my fellow survivors. I'll obviously try to run and unhook them the best I can but if I KNOW it leads to my certain death, I won't do it.

Example:
1. Killer is right on my tail
2. The Exit is open
3. Someone is hooked in the basement
4. I escape alone, leaving him to die
5. Get called "noob" in post-chat by that guy and that I should uninstall the game.

Escape alone and leave your friends to die is how you're supposed to play the game. It's right in the intro cinematic!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A new killer is out and nobody's talking about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Alteisen posted:

A new killer is out and nobody's talking about it?

New killer is the black chick from the opening cinematic....
TURNED EVIL!

• Locked thread