Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Herr Tog posted:

I need to know more about the recent -ish run of moon knight with the painted like art style, where to get it. Same with Annihilation wave because jesus I still wanna read that but I think they stopped. Also my friend just introduced me to Ny-X!? WHAT IS THIS THING AND I NEED TO READ IT.

In Annihilation, the interiors didn't match the covers, but for stuff that looks like that on the inside the most obvious suggestion is Alex Ross, his two biggest works are Marvels and Kingdom Come. Esad Ribic would be another one. His big works would be Loki, Sub-Mariner and the most recent Secret Wars.

Googling tells me the artist for the Annihilation covers was Gabriele Dell'Otto, the only thing I've read were he did interior art was Secret War written by Brian Michael Bendis (there's at least 2 other series called Secret War before, loving comics and their naming schemes).

Alex Maleev also has a painterly quality to his work, his most famous run his his stuff on Daredevil with (again) Brian Michael Bendis. I would recommend everything I've mentioned even to people who didn't pay much attention to the art, everything except Kingdom Come is on Marvel Unlimited (because it's DC) or at least some of what I've mentioned should be at your local library, if you're going to buy something online, a google image search of the name should tell you if it's something you're interested in at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ribic also did (most of?) the interiors for the God Butcher storyline in the rockin' Thor: God of Thunder series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Ribic also did (most of?) the interiors for the God Butcher storyline in the rockin' Thor: God of Thunder series.

Yeah, I meant to edit that and Silver Surfer: Requiem in as well

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i have poorly worded my question. I will try again tomorrow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

i have poorly worded my question. I will try again tomorrow.

If you're talking about the interior art on those books you mentioned, it's pretty easy to google the artists.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

If you're talking about the interior art on those books you mentioned, it's pretty easy to google the artists.

I was trying to ask for trade paper back links and were to look up reprint schedules

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reprints probably won't happen. Trades would be easily found on Amazon. Or, if you have a tablet, check out comiXology for digital copies.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What are the most titles Chris Claremont was writing at the time simultaneously? Been reading X-men and obviously he's been doing Marvel Team Up, Iron Fist, possibvly the Avengers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What are the most titles Chris Claremont was writing at the time simultaneously? Been reading X-men and obviously he's been doing Marvel Team Up, Iron Fist, possibvly the Avengers

He wrote X-Men on a bi-monthly basis for most of the late 1970s; I think he had his run on Iron Fist around the time he started and then wrote some of Team-Up while X-Men was still coming out six times a year. He didn't write Avengers regularly - he only wrote Annual #10 off the top of my head. He would have written some Captain Britain around this time as well, although I believe those tended to be shorter stories for reprint in British anthology titles.

I think he only ever wrote two ongoings at once in the 1980s (Uncanny and New Mutants until about 1987, then Uncanny and Excalibur from 1988 or so through to when he left Marvel) but he wrote a number of miniseries and one-offs at the same time (Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Wolverine/Shadowcat, God Loves, Man Kills, X-Men vs FF etc.). He might have done the first five or six issues of the Wolverine ongoing in the late 1980s but I'm not sure.

I don't think he was ever the regular writer on X-Factor, interestingly enough.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 23, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looks like he wrote a bunch of Ms. Marvel and Marvel Team-Up issues. And he had a short run on Avengers. Looking at his chronological history, 2-3 issues per month seems to be his minimum, hitting 5-6 issues in short spurts. Not counting reprints and translations, of course.

http://comicbookdb.com/creator_chron.php?ID=249

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised I forgot Ms Marvel.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Did he write Ms Marvel before or after Avengers Annual 10? Also how quickly do they dump BINARY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Did he write Ms Marvel before or after Avengers Annual 10? Also how quickly do they dump BINARY

Before, I don't remember if he was the very first writer for her solo series, but definitely one of the early ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Before, I don't remember if he was the very first writer for her solo series, but definitely one of the early ones.

He came on around #4. The first writers were Gerry Conway and his then-wife Carla.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Reprints probably won't happen. Trades would be easily found on Amazon. Or, if you have a tablet, check out comiXology for digital copies.

thank you. I am doomed i guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: just as Claremont and Byrne originally introduced Sabretooth in an issue of Power Man & Iron Fist, Claremont originally introduced Deathbird as a Ms Marvel enemy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: just as Claremont and Byrne originally introduced Sabretooth in an issue of Power Man & Iron Fist, Claremont originally introduced Deathbird as a Ms Marvel enemy.

Speaking of humble beginnings, Thanos was originally an Iron Man villain. (This was back before Tony got his movie-based power boost, so for a cosmic guy like Thanos to come from there, it's weird.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also really easy to tell when Claremont comes on to Ms Marvel because he immediately ditches the 'Ms Marvel and Carol Danvers are seperate personalities/entities sharing one body' gimmick that was basically an excuse for Carol to faint every 5 minutes in the earlier issues.
Oh, and that's done via MODOK strapping her to a bondage table and mind-controlling her to wrestle his current henchlady. Just in case Chris wasn't being SUPER obvious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Speaking of humble beginnings, Thanos was originally an Iron Man villain. (This was back before Tony got his movie-based power boost, so for a cosmic guy like Thanos to come from there, it's weird.)

Sort of. If I remember correctly he appeared like Darkseid appeared in Jimmy Olson, as iron man just dealt with his lackies. He was soon in Warlock loving around and beating almost all the avengers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, everything Starlin wrote eventually ended up in Adam Warlock.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since Starlin didn't have a regular book (and wasn't sure if he ever would have one) until he got the Warlock comic for about a year in the 1970s, he mostly just put Thanos et al. into whatever comic he happened to be doing a one-off or a fill-in for.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bobkatt013 posted:

Sort of. If I remember correctly he appeared like Darkseid appeared in Jimmy Olson, as iron man just dealt with his lackies. He was soon in Warlock loving around and beating almost all the avengers

Yeah, it was basically, "Hey, Jim, do a fill-in on Iron Man for us," and Starlin went, "OK" and turned in a story about Drax, Moondragon, and Thanos that also had Iron Man in a supporting role.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

He wrote X-Men on a bi-monthly basis for most of the late 1970s; I think he had his run on Iron Fist around the time he started and then wrote some of Team-Up while X-Men was still coming out six times a year. He didn't write Avengers regularly - he only wrote Annual #10 off the top of my head. He would have written some Captain Britain around this time as well, although I believe those tended to be shorter stories for reprint in British anthology titles.

I think he only ever wrote two ongoings at once in the 1980s (Uncanny and New Mutants until about 1987, then Uncanny and Excalibur from 1988 or so through to when he left Marvel) but he wrote a number of miniseries and one-offs at the same time (Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Wolverine/Shadowcat, God Loves, Man Kills, X-Men vs FF etc.). He might have done the first five or six issues of the Wolverine ongoing in the late 1980s but I'm not sure.

I don't think he was ever the regular writer on X-Factor, interestingly enough.
X-Men shipped twice a month during some Summers in the 80s. I think he left Excalibur (or needed some fill-ins) when he launched the Wolverine ongoing series in 1988. He did return to Excalibur to wrap up some plot threads. I think it was shortly after that when he quite X-Men/Marvel.

He wrote a couple of X-Factor stories (including the one where Apocalypse infects Baby Nate with the T-O virus) right before the early 90's X-title reshuffle. I think they were co-written with Jim Lee though. But yeah, he was never the regular writer on it. I mean, he was pretty sore when the book was launched in the first place, and then Simonson took over and wrote it for a lot of its early run.

I think his biggest output would have been when he was working on both Uncanny and New Mutants (he wrote up to #54 or so of it) plus whatever else he was working on at the time (usually some other X-Men minis).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One rumour I've heard repeated a bit is that Claremont was keen to write the Fantastic Four in the mid-1980s and there was a very real possibility of him and Byrne swapping places in 1987 or so, but Byrne left to work for DC instead. No idea if there's any truth at all to it, but it's really interesting to speculate on how that would have turned out. Would've been pretty cool if he'd managed to get Alan Davis to come aboard with him as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

One rumour I've heard repeated a bit is that Claremont was keen to write the Fantastic Four in the mid-1980s and there was a very real possibility of him and Byrne swapping places in 1987 or so, but Byrne left to work for DC instead. No idea if there's any truth at all to it, but it's really interesting to speculate on how that would have turned out. Would've been pretty cool if he'd managed to get Alan Davis to come aboard with him as well.

Didn't he end up writing the FF and it was godawful?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't he end up writing the FF and it was godawful?

Yeah, but that was about 15 years later - Claremont in 1986 was still capable of turning out great stuff. I reckon the whole cross-dimensional adventures in time and space he and Davis did in Excalibur would've translated really well to Fantastic Four.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has there ever been a story with Wolverine in the future where he doesn't look older? It just seems kind of weird that the guy stayed 30 for like 200 years but as soon as you get further than modern day he starts getting gray hair and wrinkles.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

spooky like this! posted:

Has there ever been a story with Wolverine in the future where he doesn't look older? It just seems kind of weird that the guy stayed 30 for like 200 years but as soon as you get further than modern day he starts getting gray hair and wrinkles.

I don't recall him looking much older in the final arc of Morrison's New X-Men.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A lot of those stories tend to go the "Healing factor breaking down" route as well

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Most of those stories were written well before it was established that he's ridiculously old, as well.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Speaking of James Howlett, I seem to recall they attempted a swerve where he and a couple other mutants were actually a different race of ferals or w/e and there was someone stalking them? Vaguely like a "Nosferatu, progenitor of all vampires" thing did that ever pay off?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Speaking of James Howlett, I seem to recall they attempted a swerve where he and a couple other mutants were actually a different race of ferals or w/e and there was someone stalking them? Vaguely like a "Nosferatu, progenitor of all vampires" thing did that ever pay off?

No, that was a Jeph Loeb story and the following writer ignored it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't they do that in the Earth X series, too?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The reverse - Wolverine was actually a natural human and 'humans' (and mutants) were just another part of the Celestial engineered immune system like the Inhumans, Eternals and Deviants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats stupid as hell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was so unnecessary that I can only assume it was a callback.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think unnecessary could describe quite a lot of the latter parts of that series actually.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When did Doctor Strange start being characterized as a ladies man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

When did Doctor Strange start being characterized as a ladies man?

Probably the same day Cumberbundtcake was cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It goes back explicitly to at least Fractions's Defenders, and you could probably read it into the 2004 miniseries. That was the first time they paired him up with an inappropriately young co-ed as a sidekick, though I don't think he hooked up with that particular woman.

e: err, that was the 2009 series, not 2004.

Mover fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 3, 2016