Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent been able to play at all since Rights of Man came out but based on the posting in this thread, doing what you are saying sounds both popular and easy to pull off, which makes me think that it is likely to get nerfed - so I have to ask, are there any bad side effects to doing it that I havent seen/am not aware of having not played at all?

If you spawn an institution, it'll still spread to your neighbors, even though you paid a ton if monarch points for it and they didn't. This can lead to other nations around you out-teching you pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AnoHito posted:

If you spawn an institution, it'll still spread to your neighbors, even though you paid a ton if monarch points for it and they didn't. This can lead to other nations around you out-teching you pretty easily.

Yeah this is probably the largest downside. You pay ~2000 monarch points to develop a province and seed an institution, which gets you a fat province and faster tech spread than if you didn't. However, there's the immediate opportunity cost of putting yourself a little behind your neighbors, and longer-term you're giving your neighbors a tech boost for free.

For example, in my Bahmanis game I bought the Renaissance (Renaissance and Printing Press are the slowest to spread for non-Euros) and had Colonialism spawn in my own province of Goa, so those institutions spread to Asia much more rapidly than normal. Before I've seen Ming without the Renaissance (and at like +200% tech penalty) in the 1600s, but my Bahmanis game they have Renaissance and will soon have Colonialism in 1550. Ming and maybe the Ottomans will be the end bosses of this run and me buying institutions is helping Ming out a ton.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

I mean, I agree that it makes it easier for your neighbours, but you do get that 2000 monarch points pumped into development and therefore you economy/military. I haven't seen anyone out-tech me, though if you'have a ton of provinces sometimes someone will embrace something before you get to, even if it spawned in your country, or if you paid to get to get it in one of your provinces, because they don't have to pay 5000 gold. So maybe they will get a tech ahead...I dunno.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do I invade a mostly mountainous country like Persia? I have a numerical advantage but mountains negate that numbers advantage right?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

How do I invade a mostly mountainous country like Persia? I have a numerical advantage but mountains negate that numbers advantage right?

Depends how much of Persia they have. To the northeast and southwest there are some flat provinces. Try and engage them there. Depending where you are you can lure them into your territory and fight them there. Persia is a beast with nice NIs, but if they are still small it shouldn't be too hard. The only get that mountain advantage (against your sieges) in provinces they have forts, so if you can get them to attack you in any mountain province then you'll have a nice advantage.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tsyni posted:

I mean, I agree that it makes it easier for your neighbours, but you do get that 2000 monarch points pumped into development and therefore you economy/military. I haven't seen anyone out-tech me, though if you'have a ton of provinces sometimes someone will embrace something before you get to, even if it spawned in your country, or if you paid to get to get it in one of your provinces, because they don't have to pay 5000 gold. So maybe they will get a tech ahead...I dunno.

Dumping 2000+ points into 1 province does give you a bit of a boost yeah, but it's a horrendously inefficient use of monarch points. It's a side effect that makes having to embrace that way not sting so much, but it's not exactly a great thing in and of its self. There's a reason people weren't making super cities before this patch.

I don't really understand why people have the desire to massively gimp the rest of the world by nerfing this for some reason. Westernization wasn't exactly difficult either, and Europe still comes out ahead with the new system.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why do rebels get artillery

They should at the very least get under strength regiments if they're not like aristocrats.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

why do rebels get artillery

They should at the very least get under strength regiments if they're not like aristocrats.

It's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be a speedbump for the player's progress

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Enjoy posted:

It's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be a speedbump for the player's progress

Could just spawn more of them :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PleasingFungus posted:

Could just spawn more of them :)

You could spawn 40 infantry but 14 infantry and 12 cannons behind them will beat them every time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

You could spawn 40 infantry but 14 infantry and 12 cannons behind them will beat them every time.
I think that is what he is saying. Rebels should be a nuisance unless there are certain circumstances that would dictate they have a lot of cannon and the know-how to use them. Professional armies could and did make short work of large numbers of untrained rebel scum.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The conventional wisdom is to use monarch points for other things, but for a small country how feasible could it be to go tall and build megacity:1444? The benefits would be more tax, more manpower, more production: is there any trade good that would make this a fantastic idea?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's a bad idea, because it's boring as hell, and strategic depth is crazy useful. What was crazy fun was playing as a Horde, razing everything, and building your middle of nowhere capital into a gigantic megacity. Still fun now, but Hordes are a lot tougher and razing isn't comically op.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

The conventional wisdom is to use monarch points for other things, but for a small country how feasible could it be to go tall and build megacity:1444? The benefits would be more tax, more manpower, more production: is there any trade good that would make this a fantastic idea?

It's not feasible because costs increase every time you develop, you won't be able to keep pace with empires that conquer development at a fraction of your costs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rebels are insanely easy to deal with thanks to the siege changes. Just wait for them to attack a fort and mop them up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
that's only when you're one of those insane people who builds more than the single fort on their capital

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

that's only when you're one of those insane people who builds more than the single fort on their capital

They should let you build mountains for a few thousand gold.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Koramei posted:

isn't there some kind of penalty for just having the one fort in a large country, now? I vaguely remember that being in one of the dev diaries before the last patch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just started a Hesse game, I like that you can still call allies in promising them land, take a bunch of land from the allies of your target, then take no provinces from the original target, and your allies are totally cool about it. Thanks for conquering my neighbors for me Bohemia!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
If you like watching let's plays this one is good, it's quite short (just 4 parts) and it shows off a mod. The dude goes into a lot of detail on strategy and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooX9XzWw7ko

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

OTOH army tradition is really good and maintaining some forts to keep your passive army tradition high is a huge boon to any country that can afford it (aka any country with a player behind it)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

QuarkJets posted:

(aka any country with a player behind it)

This is only really true mid to late game for a lot of (most?) starts though.

e: actually the AI generally manages to afford a lot more forts than I ever can even playing a rich nation

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 3, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wafflecopper posted:

This is only really true mid to late game for a lot of (most?) starts though.

e: actually the AI generally manages to afford a lot more forts than I ever can even playing a rich nation

Isn't the AI exempted from paying for their border forts, or was that changed?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forts are terribly expensive unless you have a good province or two or you've got really good trade control. You need more forts the more development you have, even just for the AT bonus. They have to be up to date too which sucks

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've no problems affording forts in my Transylvania game, where I control the Venice end node and all provinces are small with short travel times so I don't need many either. :downs:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Poil posted:

I've no problems affording forts in my Transylvania game, where I control the Venice end node and all provinces are small with short travel times so I don't need many either. :downs:

Yeah that's kind of my point. Sure if you control a good trade node and have cash rolling in you can afford lots of forts, if you have Venice you can afford 24 hour merc artillery dance parties in every fort in all of your provinces. But if you're playing say an African minor (or even an African major) forts are prohibitively expensive when all your cash is going into keeping the best advisors you can afford and into embracing institutions. In my recent games as Karagwe and Kongo, even once I got the African gold mines under my control and the Zanzibar trade node locked down I could still only just afford a couple of forts in key chokepoints.

THE BAR posted:

Isn't the AI exempted from paying for their border forts, or was that changed?

I'm not sure if they still do, but I was responding to a post singling out player-controlled nations as being the best able to afford forts, which is not the case most of the time. Whether the AI still gets free forts or not it almost always has a hell of a lot more than I do at a comparable size.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure if they still do, but I was responding to a post singling out player-controlled nations as being the best able to afford forts, which is not the case most of the time. Whether the AI still gets free forts or not it almost always has a hell of a lot more than I do at a comparable size.

Yeah, I never bother with forts except for a few key spots. And even when I do, I tend to disable maintenance between wars anyway, Army Tradition be damned. I don't like how Army Tradition all but becomes useless that way, but I just rely on the Estates to give me 40AT generals anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it worth using more than one general? They don't even seem to last 10 years. Sure you can milk the nobility estates but the cooldown is twice as long as the benefit so you spend a lot of time without one extra. Is it just my imagination but it feels like I keep having to replace them constantly.

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah that's kind of my point. Sure if you control a good trade node and have cash rolling in you can afford lots of forts, if you have Venice you can afford 24 hour merc artillery dance parties in every fort in all of your provinces. But if you're playing say an African minor (or even an African major) forts are prohibitively expensive when all your cash is going into keeping the best advisors you can afford and into embracing institutions. In my recent games as Karagwe and Kongo, even once I got the African gold mines under my control and the Zanzibar trade node locked down I could still only just afford a couple of forts in key chokepoints.
Yeah, even in just my Korea game it's a completely different story.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

If you're fighting on multiple fronts, or happen to get a good siege general, but one who's terrible at actual fighting.

I like having at least two, so that you don't get caught with your pants down as easily.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Is it worth using more than one general? They don't even seem to last 10 years. Sure you can milk the nobility estates but the cooldown is twice as long as the benefit so you spend a lot of time without one extra. Is it just my imagination but it feels like I keep having to replace them constantly.

If you have more than one army in the field at a time, absolutely, and in this version with Feudalism you don't even need to eat a military point penalty or risk a ruler/heir to do it. Generals make a huge difference to army performance and if you only have one it severely limits your tactical flexibility. They probably do die a little too soon. Most of mine don't last long enough to pick up a modifier. Depending on how short you are on military points you can make a case for passing on them, but if I'm at war and I have room for a general, I will always get a general. Might be a 1 fire guy who dies in 1450, might be the next Subutai who lives for fifty years single handedly smashing all my opponents.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Has anyone pulled off the 'hoarder' fetishist cheevo? I'm trying it as Butua, and I'm having difficulty getting the last two madagascar cults - i'm neighboring & at war with a fetishist Madagascar nation, but the cults aren't appearing?

I did it a couple of days ago with Kongo. Had no problem with them, I think I got them all in a war where I took a couple of provinces on madagascar and then released them as a vassal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the general advice. :v:

skasion posted:

They probably do die a little too soon. Most of mine don't last long enough to pick up a modifier.
That's really short. They often die when I'm short on military points though, but it might just be confirmation bias.

The Ottomans declared on Russia so I did my own war against them and dragged in Austria and mega-Poland and it's been a huge success. Until the Ottoman signed a peace with Russia and the game crashed for some reason. Oh, well. Time to reload and hope it wasn't at the end of the year.

Getting really annoyed at how the AI keeps hiding their army inside other countries borders and I can't follow them (not fleeing after a battle, regular movement). :argh:

edit
Neat, the game asked me to send an error report.
Also suck it Ottomans, I got Constantinople in the peace deal. All your delicious kebab are belong to me. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 3, 2016

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Another Person posted:

Even mechanics I was sceptical of when they were initially added, like corruption, are being advanced into having some genuine decision making in them to make them actually deep and interesting beyond "keep number low."

Corruption is still a garbage spite mechanic that the game didn't need but almost everything else has been great. I was worried that the state system would be horrible but it's actually really engaging.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/794188998642114561

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I'm trying to figure out how to build the optimal army stacks and am having trouble figuring out how combat width works. It only refers to the line itself, and not the total number of units that can fight in a single battle, right?

So if I had a combat width of 25, I would want enough infantry and calvary to fill the combat width of 25 for the first line, then you back it up with 25 artillery for the second line. Or am I completely wrong?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Atreiden posted:

I did it a couple of days ago with Kongo. Had no problem with them, I think I got them all in a war where I took a couple of provinces on madagascar and then released them as a vassal.

I've been trying more things since my last post, but it just isn't working. I had two separate fetishist Madagascar vassals for several decades, released one of them and then invaded... nothing. I may have to give up on the achievement, which is a little frustrating for a game that's reached 1720!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

About bloody time. Transport Tycoon had that figured out back in 1994. :v:

Speaking of that, are any of Fredman's Epistles in the dlc not just about "lol drinking"?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to build the optimal army stacks and am having trouble figuring out how combat width works. It only refers to the line itself, and not the total number of units that can fight in a single battle, right?

So if I had a combat width of 25, I would want enough infantry and calvary to fill the combat width of 25 for the first line, then you back it up with 25 artillery for the second line. Or am I completely wrong?

You're only partially wrong. I'm on my phone and I'm sure someone else will go into greater detail. You want a wider front line than the army you're facing if possible. The front line is going to take casualties right away and then you'll have artillery getting decimated, so you want more infantry/cavalry than artillery. Most cavalry you only want flanking, so depending on the era I'll have only 2/4/6 units of cavalry per army. The exception is hordes where you want as much cavalry as you can afford to start.

Usually I'll do something like 14/4/12(or multiples of that), but there may be a more optimal composition, especially because I think there might be odd numbered siege bonuses? In the end game when forts are crazy I'll have a stack of just artillery that I attach to sieging armies that aren't going to do battle so I can hit all the artillery siege bonuses.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

About bloody time. Transport Tycoon had that figured out back in 1994. :v:

Speaking of that, are any of Fredman's Epistles in the dlc not just about "lol drinking"?

I don't speak the tongue of the frozen north, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them is about KLONG KLONG KLONG KLONG!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zikan posted:

If you're just trying to get a basic 'good enough' sort of ratio, I generally use something approaching a 16/8/8 ratio, then just add more infantry as required to keep up with my neighbors, and more artillery as I gain the ability to afford it.

• Locked thread