Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Only vaguely related to USpol, but I wonder if the Supreme Court ruling on brexit / article 50 in the UK (the parliament must vote on the process before the process of leaving the EU can start) is gonna have an effect - it's a big defeat (tho they will still likely go through with it) for the Leave party, and Trump claiming he's gonna do ten times a Brexit or whatever retarded poo poo he was talking about could backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Also "OH NO, PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW ECONOMICS WORK ONLY WANT TO HELP EVERYONE OUT? WHAT A CALAMITY!" Man, it would just be awful if the democrats stone walled everything from the Patriot Act to maybe the entire invasion of Afghanistan and Irac instead of just blindly following the march of war.

afghanistan was a just war we just hosed it up royally (in huge part due to iraq).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

canepazzo posted:

Only vaguely related to USpol, but I wonder if the Supreme Court ruling on brexit / article 50 in the UK (the parliament must vote on the process before the process of leaving the EU can start) is gonna have an effect - it's a big defeat (tho they will still likely go through with it) for the Leave party, and Trump claiming he's gonna do ten times a Brexit or whatever retarded poo poo he was talking about could backfire.

I'm honestly not convinced anybody is paying enough attention to the UK to notice these things. The fact that Trump used Brexit as something positive to model his own ambitions after already shows he didn't actually know anything about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

afghanistan was a just war we just hosed it up royally (in huge part due to iraq).
We hosed it up royally because there was no way to fight it other than an indefinite occupation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Roland Jones posted:

Given this being her life goal, I think she'd be cautious regardless.

Anyway, in not-so-happy news, just stumbled across two Bundy-related articles:

The Bundy Clan Is Now Calling for Revolution

U.S. militia girds for trouble as presidential election nears

So, yeah. That's fun.

Who could have predicted that letting heavily armed terrorists off for being good ol boys could possibly result in this?

Nessus posted:

I do not believe there is much sign of it causing a huge plummet here, but yes, it is disheartening to see that the FBI did this. The great joke is of course "it does not seem to be accomplishing what they want."

That said I guess, in general, feelings and vague premonitions are OK when they're pessimistic, but not when they're optimistic.

That's about the only "positive" about all these acts. This year the Republicans have done everything in their power to sabotage the concept of democracy and tilt the numbers in their favor, up to and including turning the FBI itself into a weapon and embracing white supremacists to a level not seen in decades. It all failed to make up for their candidates and the strength of the opponent.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

canepazzo posted:

I doubt it will have any effect. None of the impacts of it will be felt within the next few days, most people simply don't care about British constitutional issues. Heck if anything it might strengthen Trumps' hand in saying the elites want to deny the will of (white) people the world over so they have to stop Clinton appointing any Supreme Court Justices.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Archonex posted:

She predicted a hell of a lot more than that. Trump had nothing to do with the majority of the thread.
Honestly, it did astonish me how highly she was valued when studies had been done on the various right-wing phenomena for years (while she seemed to me as if acting as if she was discovering something new). I mean, as in, less her own attitude, more those of the others around. Plain weird.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I doubt it will have any effect. None of the impacts of it will be felt within the next few days, most people simply don't care about British constitutional issues. Heck if anything it might strengthen Trumps' hand in saying the elites want to deny the will of (white) people the world over so they have to stop Clinton appointing any Supreme Court Justices.

Since that British islands did not fall into the sea the week after Brexit, all the angry white people here saw was their nationist dream.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Heck if anything it might strengthen Trumps' hand in saying the elites want to deny the will of (white) people the world over so they have to stop Clinton appointing any Supreme Court Justices.
How else is it going to triumph?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReV VAdAUL posted:

He said people can call him "Mr. BREXIT" which appears to mean "Mr. Unconstitutional" and that isn't too far from reality.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Meanwhile, a FBI source (does anyone NOT have one at this point?) sent me this:

https://twitter.com/yottapoint/status/794044180309884928

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe Obama is out saying that the republic and the world itself is at risk from a Trump presidency and I don't think he's exaggerating. There's a Steins Gate style timeline convergence happening in less than a week and I don't have a timephone to fix it with if it goes wrong.

edit: I also remember back in the first debate when Hillary had to look right at the camera and state clearly that America would fulfill its treaty obligations to the rest of the world since her opponent was openly saying that he wouldn't and instead run the US military like a protection racket.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 3, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

canepazzo posted:

This baffled me momentarily, I don't think SCOTUS gets to rule on the foolishness of Englishmen... we had that ruling in 1776 and stare decisis and all that. What happened here, is Brexit going to get cancelled?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

meristem posted:

Honestly, it did astonish me how highly she was valued when studies had been done on the various right-wing phenomena for years (while she seemed to me as if acting as if she was discovering something new). I mean, as in, less her own attitude, more those of the others around. Plain weird.

It was written in fairly accessible language and spoken from what's presumably first hand experience. Sure the DSM will tell you what a narcissist is, but PJ described it as a psychological dependency on attention/adulation complete with drug tolerances and seeking behavior and all that poo poo. A lot of the "wow this is groundbreaking" probably stemmed from people being able to grasp a psychological disorder masquerading as a political movement due to how PJ was describing it.

Geostomp posted:

Since that British islands did not fall into the sea the week after Brexit, all the angry white people here saw was their nationist dream.

Their currency value did, though.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Geostomp posted:

It is kind of amazing how even moderate British voices are saying that all the warnings about Brexit were wrong when metaphorically we've only managed to successfully get the plane into the air that we're going to jump out of without a parachute.

Nessus posted:

This baffled me momentarily, I don't think SCOTUS gets to rule on the foolishness of Englishmen... we had that ruling in 1776 and stare decisis and all that. What happened here, is Brexit going to get cancelled?

No, Brexit may well still happen but what has been prevented is the Prime Minister being able to begin the unstoppable process of leaving the EU (once article 50 is invoked there's two years for negotiation and then you're out) without consulting the legislature and winning a vote on it. This hopefully means the PM can't just continue her strategy of saying "we're going to get the best Brexit and we have the best people working on it." without addressing any of the actual issues or giving any kind of explanation of what Britain outside of the EU will look like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

No, Brexit may well still happen but what has been prevented is the Prime Minister being able to begin the unstoppable process of leaving the EU (once article 50 is invoked there's two years for negotiation and then you're out) without consulting the legislature and winning a vote on it. This hopefully means the PM can't just continue her strategy of saying "we're going to get the best Brexit and we have the best people working on it." without addressing any of the actual issues or giving any kind of explanation of what Britain outside of the EU will look like.
I'm imagining a post-colonial state where a thin layer of Tory elites took all the money and went to Eu- hrm. Well they could go to the United St- hrm. Perhaps Chin-- no... Austr-- er...

Fellows it's looking like there aren't a great many places left to flee with your giant sack of cash. Then again maybe we can trick them all into Rapture and then collapse it.

zen63
Sep 1, 2006
http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/11/03/trump-clinton-new-hampshire

Turnip Ahead in NH - WTF?!?!?!?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No! Donald Trump is definitely going to be president! It's happening!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Lol rt deleted their tweet. Something along the lines of "BREAKING: assange confirms that russia is not behind the hacks"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Ah correction: The High Court has ruled Parliament has to have a vote on invoking article 50. The government is now appealing to the (British) Supreme Court.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trogdos! posted:

Lol rt deleted their tweet. Something along the lines of "BREAKING: assange confirms that russia is not behind the hacks"
Yeah it was pretty much "Russia Today Confirms Julian Assange Did Not Get Wikileaks Email From Russia," and I mean, surely they'd know, right?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FactsAreUseless posted:

No! Donald Trump is definitely going to be president! It's happening!

You're my favorite poster in this thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

It matters how it was said, and who was saying it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're my favorite poster in this thread
Too bad when Trump is President (next Weds is the day he is president) he will murder me for being Terry Gross IRL (don't tell anyone I am Terry Gross from public radio's Terry Gross Live! Tonight).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Ah correction: The High Court has ruled Parliament has to have a vote on invoking article 50. The government is now appealing to the (British) Supreme Court.

I'm imagining the Tory leadershits need some kind of deniability on this since a parliament vote would almost certainly go against them and then their idiot voter base would blame them for not building the wall/stopping the boats/entombing the island in a modern mausoleum to their lord and savior Oswald Moseley.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Too bad when Trump is President (next Weds is the day he is president) he will murder me for being Terry Gross IRL (don't tell anyone I am Terry Gross from public radio's Terry Gross Live! Tonight).

I work for the FBI and you're preemptively under arrest, Terry

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Wow, what an obnoxious thing to say.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

*gene simmons unveils federal boobies inspector t-shirt*

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the gently caress, I thought it was spelled Teri

My life is a lie :(

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/794132659932905472

Hi.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why the gently caress dothey do tracking polls. are they really this hard up on going back to the horse race bullshit

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

canepazzo posted:

Meanwhile, a FBI source (does anyone NOT have one at this point?) sent me this:

https://twitter.com/yottapoint/status/794044180309884928

I suppose it makes sense that the right does a lot of anti-Arzying that has more to do with wishes than polls.

Sarcastr0 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 3, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

why the gently caress dothey do tracking polls. are they really this hard up on going back to the horse race bullshit
Donald Trump is going to win.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tracking polls are useful to see any contours in polling before better aggregate polls come out. I mean it's all horse race on some leve but it's slightly dismissive to solely credit tracking polls with that. I mean fundamentally why does public polling even exist when only the vote matters?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tracking polls ensure they have a news story every morning that everyone will want to click on, giving them an opportunity to force the people to view an ad before they can see that delicious, delicious poll.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
speaking of tracking polls

NYT/CBS

Clinton 45 (+3)
Trump 42
J 5
S 4

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Northjayhawk posted:

speaking of tracking polls

NYT/CBS

Clinton 45 (+3)
Trump 42
J 5
S 4

Wait what? Who the hell is voting for Stein at this point? Wasn't she mostly below 2 percent?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wait what? Who the hell is voting for Stein at this point? Wasn't she mostly below 2 percent?
Stein voters, mostly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wasn't she mostly below 2 percent?

Yeah, but only certified organic 2%. She prefers raw milk but it's hard to keep stocked on the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stein voters, mostly.

loving Big Iron Lung lobby.

• Locked thread