Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://ark.intel.com/compare/91166,91164,91167

Am I understanding correctly these are the processor options for the new 13" Touchbar MBP?
If yes, what's the point of the i7? Why is it even called an i7? I thought the difference was the i7s had hyperthreading, but these i5s do, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cingulate posted:

Am I understanding correctly these are the processor options for the new 13" Touchbar MBP?
If yes, what's the point of the i7? Why is it even called an i7? I thought the difference was the i7s had hyperthreading, but these i5s do, too.

Mobile dual-core i5s and i7s have had all had hyper-threading for a while. As the numbers show, the i7 has higher clocks, so it is faster. Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7 is just branding and all that's guaranteed is that at any given TDP, the next brand up is faster. Some Pentiums even have hyperthreading in the Kaby Lake desktop space, it looks like!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Looking at refurb 2015 MBP 13" -- For anything less demanding than video editing, is there a meaningful difference between the i5 and i7, assuming identical options (SSD, 16 GB RAM)?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As John Gruber put it:

Apple's entire lineup will be USB-C come Spring at the latest, hardware manufacturers are going to fall all over themselves to fill in any holes, the new revs of iPhone and iPad will come with a USB-C charger and cable, and people will adapt.

Also, losing Magsafe is worth not having to rely on proprietary Apple power adapters.

there is no way apple is removing lightning in the near future from iphone. they just introduced a lightning earphone. if they were planning on moving to usb-c for iphone they would have just held off on taking out the headphone jack until they were ready to put out usb-c on the iphone 7.

flosofl posted:

#donglegate is tag trending on twitter.
not trending on twitter in sf so didn't see it. that's dumb. the name, not what they're complaining about.

quote:

Also, who's forcing you to do anything? You don't like it, you vote with your wallet. Walk away or buy a refurb of last years model.

i think some of their decisions are dumb and i've already talked about most of them. i'm not planning on buying the macbook pro. at least not this revision. not sure why i can't discuss apple's decisions on doing this. people want to talk about it so why not? not like people's questions have been ignored for discussion about dongles. hell is there literally anything else to discuss other than the newly released product and whether you like them or not?

quote:

Gas this thread. Someone start another one that has questions revolving around the hardware instead of people crying because a product doesn't meet their needs. This is exactly why Mac events need their own thread. Christ.

know what is just as annoying? people talking about gassing this thread.

Cingulate posted:

i7s have higher clocks, can be "turboboosted" higher, and has more cache the i5. also i5s have hard limitations on number of threads (4) on any iteration dual/quad core whereas the 7 can always double its count with hyperthreading. but this point seems moot since i don't think the i7s on the 15" go beyond 4 threads on 4 cores.

if apple isn't really catering to the professionals anymore there isn't really a huge benefit in putting an i7 into the 15".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Looking at refurb 2015 MBP 13" -- For anything less demanding than video editing, is there a meaningful difference between the i5 and i7, assuming identical options (SSD, 16 GB RAM)?

it's basically negligible in the dual core cpus. there's a bigger jump in the 15 inch quad cores but since you're talking about the 13, i'd go with the i5 to save money

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Strong Sauce posted:

i7s have higher clocks, can be "turboboosted" higher, and has more cache the i5. also i5s have hard limitations on number of threads (4) on any iteration dual/quad core whereas the 7 can always double its count with hyperthreading. but this point seems moot since i don't think the i7s on the 15" go beyond 4 threads on 4 cores.

if apple isn't really catering to the professionals anymore there isn't really a huge benefit in putting an i7 into the 15".

Is this still true? Looking at it, all of these i5s and i7s have 4MB of cache, and at the quad core level there's some i7s with 6MB cache and some i7s with 8MB cache. It's all out the window other than "i7 faster than i5 at given wattage".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Mobile dual-core i5s and i7s have had all had hyper-threading for a while. As the numbers show, the i7 has higher clocks, so it is faster. Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7 is just branding and all that's guaranteed is that at any given TDP, the next brand up is faster. Some Pentiums even have hyperthreading in the Kaby Lake desktop space, it looks like!
Thanks.

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah, it's about these specific i7s and i5s, and with these, the only difference seems to be a rather minor increase in Hz and a lot more money.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lincoln posted:

no. other than maybe near the end of the laptop's life where you can hold onto it a little bit longer because it'll feel less laggy with an i7.

Twerk from Home posted:

Is this still true? Looking at it, all of these i5s and i7s have 4MB of cache, and at the quad core level there's some i7s with 6MB cache and some i7s with 8MB cache. It's all out the window other than "i7 faster than i5 at given wattage".

ah, so apparently the 13" macbooks only come with dual core i7s at the high-end. the 15" can be fitted with a quad-core i7 with the better specs.

so i guess for 13" this isn't the case and it's all mostly about the clockspeed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

So basically we're waiting until December until we're actually to purchase the new MbP or it's displayed in stores...

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Apple's entire lineup will be USB-C come Spring at the latest, hardware manufacturers are going to fall all over themselves to fill in any holes, the new revs of iPhone and iPad will come with a USB-C charger and cable, and people will adapt.

USB-C to Lightning, you mean? Otherwise nah.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lincoln posted:

It's been 10-15% with the i7 depending on the benchmark

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd bet on it. I'm certain they'll ship them with *both* cables, USBC and USBA, and while they certainly could continue to ship with a USB-A charger I think they've started the ball rolling downhill. Let's be real, the only thing 95% of people plug their iPhone into is the charger it came with.
Oh, you mean USB-C on the other end, not that they would swap out Lightning for USB-C. Sure, whatever.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Here's a fun one. Got my new refurbished Imac 5K yesterday. Love it. Works great. However, if I sleep it, it wakes up after two seconds. If I turn off my magic keyboard and mouse, it stays asleep though. What the hell?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Is the mouse on a weird surface like glass? Might be registering phantom movements.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pzy posted:

Is the mouse on a weird surface like glass? Might be registering phantom movements.

Wood table.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

If I were to wait a few months to upgrade, how much would my mid 2012 15" retina likely lose in resale value?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Strong Sauce posted:

there is no way apple is removing lightning in the near future from iphone. they just introduced a lightning earphone. if they were planning on moving to usb-c for iphone they would have just held off on taking out the headphone jack until they were ready to put out usb-c on the iphone 7.

Sorry, I meant a Lightning-to-USB-C cable, and a charger with a USB-C port on it instead of USB-A.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When I buy my next MacBook Pro in 2020 I expect it to not have any pesky ports and charge by induction and make breakfast, so I think we are heading in the right direction

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ethanol posted:

When I buy my next MacBook Pro in 2020 I expect it to not have any pesky ports and charge by induction and make breakfast, so I think we are heading in the right direction

You could fry an egg on some of the earlier models...

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

PRADA SLUT posted:

The nerds in the PC building thread couldn't help besides a "lol apple", so I'll try here. I'm looking to build a (Windows) computer with an LG Ultrafine 4k:

Are there (PC) video cards that work with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Monitors? I'm looking at a LG UltraFine and was wondering what the compatibility looks like with video cards.

Do they need some time of converter in general, or do TB3 video cards commonly exist?

I'm looking at that display too, since I'm intrigued by the P3/size combo. It's not available for another month and a half though, so I'd wait for reviews to come out, because I'm not sure if regular DisplayPort 1.2 will be able to drive the displays with an adapter.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12908

That should be all you need. Unlike the 5k, this one works even with non Thunderbolt computers. The USB ports on the monitor will of course not function.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, so I'm a complete idiot that knows nothing, can someone explain to me the difference between the flash storage and SSD storage. I know what an SSD is, but how is "flash storage" drive different?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, so I'm a complete idiot that knows nothing, can someone explain to me the difference between the flash storage and SSD storage. I know what an SSD is, but how is "flash storage" drive different?

Flash storage is SSD storage, it's just a marketing term

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bob Morales posted:

Flash storage is SSD storage, it's just a marketing term

Oh. So there's no difference between the 500 flash storage drives and the 512 ssds?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Oh. So there's no difference between the 500 flash storage drives and the 512 ssds?

No, some manufacturer just choose to provision their drives sizes in different ways.

EDIT: A lot of companies call it "flash storage" when it's part of the mainboard. "SSDs" commonly refers to a packaged drive that is separate from the mainboard whether it plugs in via SATA or M.2 or whatever, but the underlying tech is the same.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Depending on the chipset the drive uses they might say 480, 500, or 512GB.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Twerk from Home posted:

Full stack development where you're hosting a kubernetes cluster including your database and a bunch of microservices locally? That would do it.

I dunno, I run about 10 micro services, one giant ruby app, and various databases in docker containers and still only chew through about 4GB.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well flash storage also refers to CF cards and SD cards and various non-volatile memory of the past that can be flashed, like your BIOS chip, and those are all nowhere near as fast as the SSDs used for general purpose computing storage. I forget why they call it 'flash' but yeah basically all solid-state non-volatile storage is called 'flash memory' or 'flash storage' and could even accurately be called 'SSD' but that's usually used for the fast ones you use to run your computer.

edit: On Wiki and various sites it says it's called 'flash' because it could be 'erased in a flash', but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that the first re-writable 'ROM' (oxymoron I know) could be erased with a literal flash of UV light. Either way, these days it just means 'solid-state non-volatile storage' .

Pivo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 3, 2016

juststraightbangin
Jul 15, 2003
Jeremy Brown is a sweet man :)
Hey, sorry if this has been asked here before, but I've got a maybe/kinda/possibly deal that I have to close now or not. Been having trouble trying to figure out how to get results through google without triggering a thousand false positives.

I'm looking at buying a late-2015 iMac that has a 256 SSD (no fusion drive). Do non-fusion-drive iMacs still have the SATA connection/HDD area accessible and usable? In other words, can I buy this rig, throw a 1TB SSD into the HDD area, and be good to go? Will the iMac just recognize that the SATA connection is being used and act as if it is a fusion setup?Or is this prevented with solder/software?

juststraightbangin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't know about the usability of the SATA slot with the iMac model you are buying, it might just not be on the board, but I dunno (though I know they're a bitch and a half to get into anyway, check iFixIt) but I do know that a Fusion drive does not just happen by accident. If you want to create a Fusion drive from your SSD+HDD, there's a process involved. If the slot's there and you plug in an HDD, it'll be JBOD. Hope someone else has more insight.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 3, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Am I going insane or does the MacOS retina scaling use improper gamma correction?

I looked at a gamma chart using a program that let me set my laptop to 2560x1600 (left), and then again using the normal 1280x800 2x scaling (right). When the display is forced to work without scaling the gamma looks spot on, but with scaling on it's all hosed up. And yes the webpage is at 100% scaling so the browser isn't introducing any scaling errors.

This can't be right, can it? Am I missing something?

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple apparently didn't manage to work around the (known and documented) USB 3 <-> 802.11 2.4 Ghz interference issues in the new MBP. :psyduck:

Plugging some USB 3.0 devices completely kills WiFi according to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o

Granted it is likely the fault of a badly shielded device/cable but the old MBP and a Dell works fine under the same circumstances.

I read that the new MBPs use a special coating on the speakers as the antenna instead of regular antennas in the screen like the old devices, which could explain this behaviour. Or perhaps he's just holding it wrong.

edit: here's a Intel whitepaper from 2012 on this topic.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.pdf

Apple is going to get slaughtered in the media if this turns out to be a real world issue, particularly because the device depends more on these ports than any other machine.
Of course they'll say 2.4 Ghz is outdated technology and everybody ought to use 5 Ghz networks.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 3, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Strong Sauce posted:

What? Apple's 15" models have i7 quad cores with hyperthreading. They can run 8 threads in parallel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eames posted:

Apple apparently didn't manage to work around the (known and documented) USB 3 <-> 802.11 2.4 Ghz interference issues in the new MBP. :psyduck:

Granted it is likely the fault of a badly shielded device/cable but the old MBP and a Dell works fine under the same circumstances.

I cannot watch more than a few seconds of the asshat techbro in this video without wanting to put a spike through my eyes.

I will lay good odds it's a poorly shielded device (or perhaps techbro hosed up RFI shielding on the Mac/another device while tearing it apart? IDK, because I didn't find where in the video he tested wifi, because I like not committing self harm). USB3 uses a 5GHz physical layer, which is a great frequency for interfering with 802.11 2.4, and often the resulting RFI issues are straight up voodoo (working fine on other machines doesn't mean much).

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

eames posted:

I read that the new MBPs use a special coating on the speakers as the antenna instead of regular antennas in the screen like the old devices, which could explain this behaviour. Or perhaps he's just holding it wrong.

edit: here's a Intel whitepaper from 2012 on this topic.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.pdf

Apple is going to get slaughtered in the media if this turns out to be a real world issue, particularly because the device depends more on these ports than any other machine.
Of course they'll say 2.4 Ghz is outdated technology and everybody ought to use 5 Ghz networks.

This will probably blow over by this time next week after it's discovered this isn't a real thing, actually.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I cannot watch more than a few seconds of the asshat techbro in this video without wanting to put a spike through my eyes.

Do his muscles intimidate you

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When shopping used/refurb MBPs on Amazon, is there a reliable way to tell the release date for each computer? Some of the listings include a serial number, so I can then look it up myself, but most don't, and pretty much zero of them say, "mid-2015" or whatever. They just list the specs.

I imagine a "2.5 GHz i5" (for example) spans several years of production, yes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lincoln posted:

When shopping used/refurb MBPs on Amazon, is there a reliable way to tell the release date for each computer? Some of the listings include a serial number, so I can then look it up myself, but most don't, and pretty much zero of them say, "mid-2015" or whatever. They just list the specs.

I imagine a "2.5 GHz i5" (for example) spans several years of production, yes?

Do they list the actual model number? That will tell you also.

eames
May 9, 2009

Biodome posted:

This will probably blow over by this time next week after it's discovered this isn't a real thing, actually.

Actually I'm inclined to believe that it is a quite real thing.
I noticed vastly diminished transfer rates over WiFi (10 Megabyte/s versus 70 Megabyte/s on 801.11ac) on my then new 2013 rMBP. It took me a long time to isolate the bottleneck to the interference from my USB 3.0 SSD.

When I swapped the SSD into to a Buffalo enclosure and connected it TB2 the problem went away. This is reproducible and anyone who thinks it "isn't a real thing" is invited to read the white-paper linked above.

Whatever, the vast majority of the people who buy these new Pro machines will never attach peripherals, so they won't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well, I got a MBP. Found one on Craigslist, and talking to the guy found out he goes to the same grad school as my wife (which is loving crazy because it's a tiny school in the SF Bay Area) and works on Macs on the side.

Finally I can stop making GBS threads up this thread with my stupidity.