Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
http://bato.to/reader#187fbd507da587b8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

No Oka this is the path onto the Flower of Evil, realize what you are doing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'M REALLY UNSURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:sever: This is incredibly lovely, Mei is in actual love and she has no idea that she's the Fallback option. This is like the lead-in to basically every failed relationship ever. Yet it's so realistic, I cannot complain about it, since they're dumb teenagers. :smith:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
reminder:

Tarage posted:

One of the next big arcs is Oka's, and then after that... well... poo poo is seriously going down in the raws right now. I'm honestly excited and scared to death where the manga is going next.

Tarage posted:

It's not... super DUPER everything's hosed serious, but it does have some pretty dark elements to it. It's spoilers to explain why it's dark, but it is. I still have faith that it will be comedic again in short order. This was a necessary chapter to move the overall plot along.

Just like how 142 wasn't the funniest chapter. Have faith.

:getin:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Artificer posted:

I'M REALLY UNSURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS.

SO IS HE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

:ohdear: I just want everyone to be happy.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

unpronounceable posted:

So does Oka.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Except Shimada, of course.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oka nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

don't do it

has it been revealed that sen's glasses are a God of (Mis)Fortune before now?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paragon1 posted:

Oka nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

don't do it

has it been revealed that sen's glasses are a God of (Mis)Fortune before now?

In the sense that they have shown up on their own riding a pigeon before.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shugojin posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It turns out Oka finds actual happiness with Mei and they live happily ever after

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I would rather Oka find happiness with Mei since chapter 72 shows that future Mikan is still trying to be with Asahi and Oka is the best bro and needs to be happy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

It turns out Oka finds actual happiness with Mei and they live happily ever after

I too believe in this future.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
boo oka, boooooo!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh man :ohdear: I want to believe in Terper's view of the future, but I also can't see this ending well either. Especially with the Gods of 'Fortune' getting into the mix.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DrSunshine posted:

:sever: This is incredibly lovely, Mei is in actual love and she has no idea that she's the Fallback option. This is like the lead-in to basically every failed relationship ever. Yet it's so realistic, I cannot complain about it, since they're dumb teenagers. :smith:

I don't think this is a fair way to frame it. This manga is absolutely chock full of people who are simply not going to be able to hook up with their first loves under any circumstances and it's a lot healthier and better in the long term for everyone involved to attempt to find happiness with someone else than it is to sit and pine and stew endlessly about how you weren't able to hook up with your ~true love~. Oka took a shot with Mikan and was totally and unambiguously rejected with no room for interpretation. That sucks for him and it hurts a lot, but that kind of thing happens, and given how forceful her rejection was it's probably better that he gives it up rather than potentially poisoning the friendship they have with unwanted advances.

There's nothing wrong with him at least attempting a relationship with Mei to see how it works out, especially since he's already got a pretty deep and personal understanding of her feelings and emotions out of the gate due to his mind reading ability when that kind of thing normally takes a long time to develop. Obviously you can't build the foundation of a relationship on pity, but the very fact that he cares enough about Mei that doesn't want her to have to suffer like he is already speaks well about his intentions, since it would be just as easy for him to walk off without a word and continue brooding.

tldr Oka is a good person if the first thing that comes to mind after a rejection as harsh as the one that he just went through is empathy for someone else.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
While I do agree with you, the timing is not healthy at all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't think this is a fair way to frame it. This manga is absolutely chock full of people who are simply not going to be able to hook up with their first loves under any circumstances and it's a lot healthier and better in the long term for everyone involved to attempt to find happiness with someone else than it is to sit and pine and stew endlessly about how you weren't able to hook up with your ~true love~. Oka took a shot with Mikan and was totally and unambiguously rejected with no room for interpretation. That sucks for him and it hurts a lot, but that kind of thing happens, and given how forceful her rejection was it's probably better that he gives it up rather than potentially poisoning the friendship they have with unwanted advances.

There's nothing wrong with him at least attempting a relationship with Mei to see how it works out, especially since he's already got a pretty deep and personal understanding of her feelings and emotions out of the gate due to his mind reading ability when that kind of thing normally takes a long time to develop. Obviously you can't build the foundation of a relationship on pity, but the very fact that he cares enough about Mei that doesn't want her to have to suffer like he is already speaks well about his intentions, since it would be just as easy for him to walk off without a word and continue brooding.

tldr Oka is a good person if the first thing that comes to mind after a rejection as harsh as the one that he just went through is empathy for someone else.

That's a charitable way to interpret it, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that he's attempting to initiate a relationship under false pretenses. He's doing it out of pity for Mei, and not because he actually loves her, and she has no idea. It's not being truthful, it's something he does acting with superior knowledge, which is really unfair to her. Think about it: you've been going out with your crush, and later they drop on you that you were a second option. That'd feel like poo poo!

I mean that's not to say that they couldn't develop into genuine love after a while, but it's still not a great thing to do on his part because he's not being truthful about his own feelings to her.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Dr., re-read the last few pages - it makes it seem like it's not pity he's feeling, he really truly wants it to go well for someone, even if it's not him.

Now, that's not to say it still isn't under false pretenses and probably a Really Bad Idea, but I don't think it's pity.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
At least wait before trying to dunk off of the rebound.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

That's a charitable way to interpret it, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that he's attempting to initiate a relationship under false pretenses. He's doing it out of pity for Mei, and not because he actually loves her, and she has no idea. It's not being truthful, it's something he does acting with superior knowledge, which is really unfair to her. Think about it: you've been going out with your crush, and later they drop on you that you were a second option. That'd feel like poo poo!

I mean that's not to say that they couldn't develop into genuine love after a while, but it's still not a great thing to do on his part because he's not being truthful about his own feelings to her.

He literally just says "Mei, if you're okay with it, how about we go out together?". He doesn't say "Mei, I truly love you thiiiiiis much and want to be with you forever". There's no false pretenses there at all; it's completely and totally normal for people to try going out to see if chemistry develops without feelings of Deep True Love, despite how this Romantic Comedy manga frames relationships. This is how things like blind dates and dating sites exist and work. It's very rare that people just see each other and instantly fall in love storybook style. Don't forget that Oka started off not liking Mikan, either, but spent a lot of time with her and Asahi and came to love her as he did. He didn't have an automagical connection at first sight.

My interpretation of this could change if it turns out he's trying to use their relationship in a poisonous or malicious way("hey, Mikan, look, I don't need you anymore!"), but I don't think Oka has ever been presented as that spiteful or angry.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I agree, it's high school, not everything has to be :love: true love forever :love:, kids should have fun

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kanos posted:

He literally just says "Mei, if you're okay with it, how about we go out together?". He doesn't say "Mei, I truly love you thiiiiiis much and want to be with you forever". There's no false pretenses there at all; it's completely and totally normal for people to try going out to see if chemistry develops without feelings of Deep True Love, despite how this Romantic Comedy manga frames relationships. This is how things like blind dates and dating sites exist and work. It's very rare that people just see each other and instantly fall in love storybook style. Don't forget that Oka started off not liking Mikan, either, but spent a lot of time with her and Asahi and came to love her as he did. He didn't have an automagical connection at first sight.

My interpretation of this could change if it turns out he's trying to use their relationship in a poisonous or malicious way("hey, Mikan, look, I don't need you anymore!"), but I don't think Oka has ever been presented as that spiteful or angry.

Well... I mean. Yeah, okay, that's a fair enough point. I've binge-read the "r/relationships" thread recently so I guess I'm a bit primed to see ":siren: CATASTROPHIC RELATIONSHIP MELTDOWN :siren:" everywhere.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Basically what kanos said, except as someone who has gone out with someone explicitly because "I just want to go out with someone, doesn't matter who" without having a "let's see where this goes and if it develops into something more" mentality, that can be a ... bad thing.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Finally caught up with the past few chapters and man its gone to :smith: so quickly. Here's hoping things get sorted out. They haven't really touched on any of the repercussions of time travel yet and those are always a rollercoaster.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We might get to see Asahi for real "I'm going to punch you in the face" furious with Oka if this goes bad, especially if he finds out why. :ohdear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Well... I mean. Yeah, okay, that's a fair enough point. I've binge-read the "r/relationships" thread recently so I guess I'm a bit primed to see ":siren: CATASTROPHIC RELATIONSHIP MELTDOWN :siren:" everywhere.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Basically what kanos said, except as someone who has gone out with someone explicitly because "I just want to go out with someone, doesn't matter who" without having a "let's see where this goes and if it develops into something more" mentality, that can be a ... bad thing.

Oh, it most definitely could sour pretty badly in a lot of ways. I just feel like Mei has been presented as level-headed enough and Oka has been presented as not dickish enough to let it go horribly. Oka just took a big emotional body blow and he's pretty torn up, but I feel like he's seen enough of lovely relationships with his parents that he wouldn't willingly inflict an awful relationship on someone.

Basically the only characters in this series who has been presented as unambiguously terrible are Shimada and Ryou so I'm giving Oka the benefit of the doubt. :pray:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Let's not forget the fact that Mei knows that he's in an unrequited love situation with Mikan. Hopefully she'll make an informed decision that'll result in both of them being happy forever after.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every character in this series has a secret. Sakurada is a secret sennin, Oka is a secret mind reader, Shima is secretly older than his friends. Even the horse had a secret.

That implies Mei also has a secret, but what could it be?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doesn't the chapter imply that she has some kind of ability or aspect that causes Oka's mind reading to be frazzled or staticy? What if she emits some sort of field, or is actually a... witch or something.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Every character in this series has a secret. Sakurada is a secret sennin, Oka is a secret mind reader, Shima is secretly older than his friends. Even the horse had a secret.

She's actually sane and normal rather than cute and dumb.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

Doesn't the chapter imply that she has some kind of ability or aspect that causes Oka's mind reading to be frazzled or staticy? What if she emits some sort of field, or is actually a... witch or something.

That's Akane's doing, not Mei's.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

JosephWongKS posted:

We covered this already, Mei's secret is that she actually gets along really well with her brother.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Actually everyone gets along really well with Kuromine, he just attracts all the idiots to surround him

He's like the nameless one but instead of tormented people it's idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
No new chapter this week. This time it's not having raws. Raw scanner is super busy. Sorry, will try again next week.

• Locked thread