Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SPiTZ posted:

I have a well-tagged mp3 collection on my phone and I usually play it with Google Play Music. I'm trying to put a large playlist of additional family road-trip tunes on it also from hundreds of different artists. The problem is, I don't want all these random tracks and artists cluttering up my core collection in the player.
If you don't care about knowing who the song is by just replace all the Artist/Album/etc. metadata with the same value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There's a tag that's used for Compilations isn't there? Album artist or something? So that they all show up as the same artist even though it's a bunch of different artists?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There's a tag that's used for Compilations isn't there? Album artist or something? So that they all show up as the same artist even though it's a bunch of different artists?
This will prevent it from adding a version of the compilation album to every artist with one song on it but it won't prevent each song from showing up under the full list of songs for the artist that made that song.

Basically a song can belong to one artist but the album that the song is on can belong to a different artist. The song will show up in both places (under the song artist and under the album), the album will only show up in one (under the album artist). Which is actually totally correct and logical, but it depends on your definition of "cluttering".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Anybody having weird timezone issues in mobile Chrome? ESPN.com has game times in UTC (whether logged into my account or private browsing), while Firefox mobile has my local timezone, as does ESPN on my computer Chrome. ESPN.com, ESPN's fantasy football app, and a random fantasy football site that might pull game times from ESPN are the only places I've found this issue, though. Clearing Chrome's app data didn't fix it. NFL.com, NBA.com, etc all have game times listed in my local timezone in mobile Chrome, and Calendar, Gmail, and every other app is in the correct timezone too. Only thing I've found that might possibly at all be related is this bug tracker page started 5 days ago, where Maps on iOS is giving people the ETA on the wrong timezone: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/maps/Yu1LVPdzAT4

Any ideas?

Just bumping this one time to see if anyone has any ideas. TLDR: ESPN.com has game times for all sports in not my local timezone, but only in Chrome, not Firefox, no other apps have the problem, and doesn't matter if I'm browsing logged in or private. How fix?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Just bumping this one time to see if anyone has any ideas. TLDR: ESPN.com has game times for all sports in not my local timezone, but only in Chrome, not Firefox, no other apps have the problem, and doesn't matter if I'm browsing logged in or private. How fix?

I just checked and on mobile Chrome the ESPN site shows start times in my local timezone which is Eastern. You say you cleared app data for Chrome so this shouldn't be it, but the only thing that makes any sense to me is if you've denied location data to ESPN and it occurs to me that it may be possible that that data is shared between a signed-in desktop Chrome browser and mobile, so maybe check there? That's Settings > Advanced > Privacy > Content Settings > Location > Manage Exceptions.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RVProfootballer posted:

Just checked, games are showing up in my local time zone (MT).

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Sounds like some setting got messed up.

Edit: what other devices are you syncing chrome with? That may be causing some issue.

Moey fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 2, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tunga posted:

If you don't care about knowing who the song is by just replace all the Artist/Album/etc. metadata with the same value.

I kind of do this with compilations and other albums with multiple artists. I use to many different mp3 players with different rules, so this keeps it simple enough that any scheme will play the albums correctly.

Artist: "compilation", "mix", "tribute", "soundtrack", etc (a descriptor of the type of collection I made)

Track: Artist-Track Title

Album: Compilation Name

This groups all compilations by type, sorts them into folders/albums to keep each one distinct, but still has all the artist and title data in the track name tag.

In Google Play Music, you get an artist called "compilation" with an album called "Road Trip" and tracks called "Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA", etc.

If you're careful and use something like MediaMonkey, you can automate the tagging and naming process. Rename all the files with the artist name and track title read off of the tag data, then retag everything using the file name format.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Could the time zone thing be related to Chrome's data saver functionally? If they are doing timezone by IP and it's going though a nonlocal proxy, that seems plausible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the ideas all.

LastInLine posted:

I just checked and on mobile Chrome the ESPN site shows start times in my local timezone which is Eastern. You say you cleared app data for Chrome so this shouldn't be it, but the only thing that makes any sense to me is if you've denied location data to ESPN and it occurs to me that it may be possible that that data is shared between a signed-in desktop Chrome browser and mobile, so maybe check there? That's Settings > Advanced > Privacy > Content Settings > Location > Manage Exceptions.

On my desktop, there are no exceptions listed there, and the setting is to allow local data to be set (and ESPN has cookies/local stuff stored). I assumed browsing mobile Chrome incognito would prevent anything like that carrying over anyway, but am not sure if that's true.

Moey posted:

Just checked, games are showing up in my local time zone (MT).

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Sounds like some setting got messed up.

Edit: what other devices are you syncing chrome with? That may be causing some issue.

Syncing with Chrome on laptop and multiple desktops, but none of them have this issue, and the issue persisted even when browsing mobile Chrome incognito and after clearing data. Can't uninstall mobile Chrome.

bull3964 posted:

Could the time zone thing be related to Chrome's data saver functionally? If they are doing timezone by IP and it's going though a nonlocal proxy, that seems plausible.

Data saver is off as far as I can tell (off in Chrome settings and all the phone battery saver stuff disabled) but yeah I've been scouring the mobile settings and my phone settings to try to find anything and no luck yet. I assumed clearing data and/or browsing incognito would wipe out anything specific to Chrome, so then it comes down to some phone setting, but I just can't find anything.

Edit: Just to be sure I'm not going crazy, cleared Chrome data again, didn't sign in, and ESPN.com lists games in UTC while NFL.com shows EST, TVGuide.com defaults to EST, and googling "what time is it" reports the correct time (and city and date).

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could try Chrome Beta instead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

That was going to be my next suggestion.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

LastInLine posted:

That was going to be my next suggestion.

That was a great suggestion that I hadn't thought of and figured would work, buuuut...

I just don't get it. It has to be something about how Chrome vs. Firefox polls the location or time, right? But then specific to how ESPN is polling it???

I realize I've neglected to say this whole time that this is on a Nexus 6P on whatever the latest 7.1 beta is, but I think some of you guys that don't see this issue are probably on it too. Phone is otherwise totally unfucked with, and the fact that Firefox is fine and Chrome only has the issue on ESPN makes me think it isn't a larger bug in the beta OS.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Have you checked the app specific permissions? Did you maybe by accident (or on purpose) revoke chrome's location permission?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

Have you checked the app specific permissions? Did you maybe by accident (or on purpose) revoke chrome's location permission?

Just checked and Chrome has location permission allowed (already did) and the system location is on/high accuracy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Just checked and Chrome has location permission allowed (already did) and the system location is on/high accuracy.

Does the ESPN app report correct times?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Does the ESPN app report correct times?

Interesting, yeah the plain ESPN app does give times in EST, as does the WatchESPN app, but their fantasy football app does not (it's in same UTC as their website in Chrome).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does setting your time zone at this lovely link help at all?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have the Google App giving me box scores for the World Series and its updating the score in a notification. That notification is typically 20+ minutes out of date. Is there a way to have it update at least every five minutes without opening the app itself and manually updating it? Or on screen unlock?

Same thing happens when it's spitting out Bears scores at me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Capital One FINALLY has support for Android Pay (in the US on select cards.)

You have to have the Capital One wallet installed to verify Android Pay setup, but that's fine as the app is useful for charge notifications.

http://phandroid.com/2016/11/02/android-pay-capital-one/

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
Thank so for the music tagging suggestions everyone.

Uthor posted:

Artist: "compilation", "mix", "tribute", "soundtrack", etc (a descriptor of the type of collection I made)

Track: Artist-Track Title

Album: Compilation Name

I'm going to try this one. I wish it was easier, but I can see this working out exactly how I want it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Who else uses gReader? Since last night, any time I open an article in readability mode, I see the same article in Greek. After tossing the first line into Google Translate, it seems to be a out the European. Is this happening to anyone else??

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Does setting your time zone at this lovely link help at all?

Nope, no luck. Set it to EST there, go back to ESPN.com, game times in UTC.

Well, no worries, I was hoping it would be something simple I was missing or something someone had run into before, but I'll chalk it up to some weird issue with my phone and/or updating it to 7.1 beta. If I get annoyed enough, maybe I'll try a factory reset or something, maybe if there's another OS update and the bug is still there. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot it though!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

I have the Google App giving me box scores for the World Series and its updating the score in a notification. That notification is typically 20+ minutes out of date. Is there a way to have it update at least every five minutes without opening the app itself and manually updating it? Or on screen unlock?

Same thing happens when it's spitting out Bears scores at me.

Yeah, I hate how long that takes to update, but I also think if it polled more, people would get pissy about battery usage.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good clock widget that will sit on my home screen and when clicked take me to my alarms? The alarm widget is alright, but it only controls a single alarm and looks ugly on the home page.

I can't seem to find any stock widget with that functionality and don't want to have to click the icon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

a shameful boehner posted:

Can anyone recommend a good clock widget that will sit on my home screen and when clicked take me to my alarms? The alarm widget is alright, but it only controls a single alarm and looks ugly on the home page.

I can't seem to find any stock widget with that functionality and don't want to have to click the icon.

Timely does exactly that.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I'll check Timely out.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I'll check Timely out.

Timely also saves your alarm schedules in the cloud per device which is pretty handy if you A) have different devices alarming for different things B) ever need to reset a device

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there way to use the command "OK Google, navigate me to..." with an app other than google maps? If there is an option to select the "default" navigation app I can't seem to find it, on a Nexus 5X.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there way to use the command "OK Google, navigate me to..." with an app other than google maps? If there is an option to select the "default" navigation app I can't seem to find it, on a Nexus 5X.

I think it will work with Waze, go to settings and clear defaults for Google maps and see if it prompts you which to use. If not then it won't work, it didn't at one point in the past at least

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's Sygic that I'm using so no dice, not a huge issue obviously but having the voice command stuff would've been neat, oh well.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any chat apps that allow you to secure specific chats with a passcode/password/etc...? I thought Allo would but Incognito chats don't appear to offer that functionality.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Any recommendations for a voice recording app? Like one to leave on in the background 24/7.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I had a play with an app called Alibi, which you can run 24/7, but only caches the last hour. You need to go into the app and then save the last hour if you want to persist it forever.

Sometimes it works pretty well, other times not so much.

If anybody else has any suggestions I'd be interested!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So the new Messenger update had some stuff in the code indicating RCS was near. So near, in fact, that some users are getting prompts to actually activate it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/03/rcs-going-live-google-messenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh my god Timely is so good. i'm never going back to stock alarm again

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

oh my god Timely is so good. i'm never going back to stock alarm again

Well Google swallowed up the Timely devs so get ready to never see another update.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Well Google swallowed up the Timely devs so get ready to never see another update.

I agree with you, mostly. Timely is one of those rare apps that works so well as is I'm not terribly sure what more I could want with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Luchadork posted:

So the new Messenger update had some stuff in the code indicating RCS was near. So near, in fact, that some users are getting prompts to actually activate it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/03/rcs-going-live-google-messenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/

Saw that in the app update notes and immediately went to look for the settings to turn them off.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Saw that in the app update notes and immediately went to look for the settings to turn them off.

Wait, why would you want to turn them off? This is a massive improvement over SMS, making it more like iMessage, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, why would you want to turn them off? This is a massive improvement over SMS, making it more like iMessage, etc

goons fear change