Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure inserts have always been preferable to boutique "premium" sets. Like there's a niche population that love paying $200+ for 4 packs containing 5 cards each, presale numbers for them have always been much lower than just putting inserts in normal low-mid ranged sets.
bwahha, Topps has baseball cards with signature that include part of the pen that was used to sign the card???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Those are independent things.

For some people it isn't! Modo is kinda clunky.

But yeah, drafting online is the one best magic.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

ShaneB posted:

For some people it isn't! Modo is kinda clunky.

But yeah, drafting online is the one best magic.

Except when Memory's Journey is bugged. :(

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Johnnie5 posted:

Except when Memory's Journey is bugged. :(

What if Memory's Journey was causing a memory leak...........

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys! So I am moving to LA next week. Anyone living in the South Bay area want to direct me to a good shop and maybe play some games? I'm not sure what I will bring with me. Probably just a few decks. One for each format.

I don't really know about South Bay specifically, but if you want to travel a bit Knight Ware (Studio City) and Turn Zero (Hollywood-ish) were my favorite spots to play before I moved away. Knight Ware's FNM is Legacy and I was a regular there. They also have Vintage and some Modern. The owner Lori is really cool and she'll let you borrow full decks if you want to try something new.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

makes u think

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

black potus posted:

Puts on sunglasses.

YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys! So I am moving to LA next week. Anyone living in the South Bay area want to direct me to a good shop and maybe play some games? I'm not sure what I will bring with me. Probably just a few decks. One for each format.

MTG Los Angeles Legacy Players
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495347224093256/
Knightware Playgroup (Knightware hosts proxy vintage and real legacy, with a 20+ free-to-borrow legacy deck library. Real decks, like the DnT deck is all ports and wastelands and vials and karakas, not some budget poo poo)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488025054743680/
MTG SoCal Community Events
https://www.facebook.com/groups/725232300854206/
SoCal Legacy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/814900728571376/
Los Angeles Vintage Addicts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/626768444121389/

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure inserts have always been preferable to boutique "premium" sets. Like there's a niche population that love paying $200+ for 4 packs containing 5 cards each, presale numbers for them have always been much lower than just putting inserts in normal low-mid ranged sets.

Reading this is giving me a kind of sad queasy feeling, and I suspect it's the same feeling my girlfriend gets when I tell her that I spent $10 on a single Magic card.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jabor posted:

So what you're saying is we're gonna get a masterpiece goyf but it's not going to be part of the actual set.

Instead of masterpiece artifacts next set is going to have Tezz's genetic creations or some poo poo and will be a series of creature cards from the past.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i expect masterwork artifacts including some colored artifacts because of tezz

so what artifacts were we missing? besides stuff that won't be in like jitte, maybe:
Ensnaring Bridge
Arcbound Ravager???
Skullclamp
Cranial Plating
Batterskull???????
The Medallion cycle
Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek
Time Sieve?

uh

Zuran Orb?????
Icy manipulator?
Mimic Vat
ICE CAULDRON

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Masterwork Ur-Golem's eye.

Go big or go home

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

MP jeweled bird or nothing at all :colbert:

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Slash Panther is a lock.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so what artifacts were we missing? besides stuff that won't be in like jitte, maybe:
Ensnaring Bridge
Arcbound Ravager???
Skullclamp
Cranial Plating
Batterskull???????
The Medallion cycle
Time Sieve?

uh

Zuran Orb?????
Icy manipulator?
Mimic Vat
ICE CAULDRON

Plus 5-10 mythics from the set itself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Masterpiece time vault. New player puts it in deck without reading it (it's an insert, it has to be good!), declares it terrible after casting. Clock of omens is in the set.

Sailor Viy posted:

Reading this is giving me a kind of sad queasy feeling, and I suspect it's the same feeling my girlfriend gets when I tell her that I spent $10 on a single Magic card.

Can't get an autographed Jace card if you don't try!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Masterpieces are basically replacing FTV releases going forward, right? Or did I just imagine hearing that they're going to stop making FTVs? It would make sense to not have multiple "premium foil reprints of powerful old cards" sets at once, even if the distribution method is different.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ensnaring Bridge
Arcbound Ravager???
Skullclamp
Cranial Plating
Batterskull???????
The Medallion cycle
Time Sieve?

uh

Zuran Orb?????
Icy manipulator?
Mimic Vat
ICE CAULDRON

I think they confirmed that Amon Khet is going to have Theros-style God cards, it would would make sense for the Masterpieces of that set to all be enchantment themed, including a cycle of new Gods.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Entropic posted:

I think they confirmed that Amon Khet is going to have Theros-style God cards, it would would make sense for the Masterpieces of that set to all be enchantment themed, including a cycle of new Gods.

I heard 3 color gods.

Edit: speculation - Nicol Bolas is the grixis god

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

It was not confirmed at all but is speculated.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they're doing God cards again I really hope they feel like Gods

Keranos was one of the few that really sold me on being strong and having an unusual, godly type of effect. If there's one cycle that should absolutely be pushed a bit it is the cool God cycle in your set.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Masterpieces are basically replacing FTV releases going forward, right? Or did I just imagine hearing that they're going to stop making FTVs? It would make sense to not have multiple "premium foil reprints of powerful old cards" sets at once, even if the distribution method is different.
We'll probably have to wait until their next announcement day to find out, let alone for them to comment on it.

Entropic posted:

Maro posted saying that there's no reason gods have to be enchantments, and that masterpieces don't have to be type-based a bit more pointedly than if it wasn't going to be relevant soon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'm just speculating about Aether Revolt

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Swiftfoot Boots reprint to match how they keep pretending anyone wants them when we just want twice as many Lightning Greaves.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rinkles posted:

Please don't screw this one up wotc. :pray:

Those are Bolas' horns on the left there, right? Do we know he's involved in the set?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm pretty sure the masterpiece series is just going to be themed on the actual set, so we can probably expect Candelabra of Tawnos right? :haw:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you were going to do masterwork enchantments, what would be on the list? Come to think of it, there's not really a huge number of good candidates.

Off the top of my head,

Land Tax
Counterbalance
Necropotence
Bitterblossom
Bridge From Below
BLOOD MOON
Sneak Attack
Sylvan Library
Doubling Season
probably a cycle of Leylines?
Theros Gods would look cool in fancy frames but aren't really worth anything.

There's some cool ones you could do but there really aren't that many good $$$ enchantments crying for a reprint.

Allstone posted:

We'll probably have to wait until their next announcement day to find out, let alone for them to comment on it.

Maro posted saying that there's no reason gods have to be enchantments, and that masterpieces don't have to be type-based a bit more pointedly than if it wasn't going to be relevant soon

I mean, there's no reason you can't just print a normal creature with the God subtype. But there's going to be some kind of gimmick with any Gods they print, I mean they're goddamn gods.
And the enchantment / devotion thing worked pretty well the first time around.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm pretty sure the masterpiece series is just going to be themed on the actual set, so we can probably expect Candelabra of Tawnos right? :haw:

Reserve List :smaug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Boxman posted:

Those are Bolas' horns on the left there, right? Do we know he's involved in the set?

Literally all we know about Amonkhet is 1) Egypt 2) Bolas, so, yes, probably.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

Emergency ban for Drake in Pauper

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

On one hand FINALLY. Drake is a dumb card.

On the other hand...DAMMIT, now I need to build a new pauper deck.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Allstone posted:

God enchantments were a theros thing, maybe if we get new gods in amonkhet they'll have room enough on the type line for a useful creature subtype.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm honestly surprised they care enough about pauper to issue an emergency ban.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm honestly surprised they care enough about pauper to issue an emergency ban.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Great, another format where midrange gets to reign. :rolleyes:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Great, another format where midrange gets to reign. :rolleyes:

....you mean the one where the best deck is Delver and control is probably in the top 3?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

loving finally, maybe I'll get back into MTGO now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Willeh posted:

MP jeweled bird or nothing at all :colbert:

this guy knows what's up

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

....you mean the one where the best deck is Delver and control is probably in the top 3?

It's too soon after the announcement and almost universally desired, so I had no luck digging at MTGS or Reddit or anywhere to find funny things to quote. The best I could do is paraphrase.

I did find this though posted:

Why would they ban Drake? I know he's not the best hiphop artist but come on he's not that bad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

God enchantments were a theros thing, maybe if we get new gods in amonkhet they'll have room enough on the type line for a useful creature subtype.

Legendary Artifact Creature - God Vehicle

:rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Legendary Artifact Creature - God Vehicle

:rice:

finally a set where mecha-shiva can shine