Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'm sure kids in grade 8 are cynical about trade deals and trans-national organizations. :rolleyes:

I never said they were. People like you are the reason that Sun chain newspaper articles get written in one sentence paragraphs.

Helsing posted:

It's going to be hard to design an effective civics curriculum when most students feel justifiably cynical about the government, it's responsiveness to their concerns, and it's capability to actually improve their lives. It's sort of like all the pearl clutching over decreasing voter turnout, often coming from the same media organizations that shill relentlessly for every trade deal that cedes a bit more of our sovereignty to distant and unaccountable trans-national organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

You might not see the parties splitting quickly, but if we saw 1 vote=1 vote logic the cities would heavily dominate rural areas, especially in provincial politics

regional parties, and urban/rural parties make a lot of sense; although it could fracture the country a lot

Is that not the point of PR? Why should rural Canada have such a significant say in Canadian politics when the majority of the population is found in the cities?

gently caress rural hicks that hold back the rest of Canada with their ignorant redneck beliefs

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
In a development that will probably surprise no one, it wasn't just a single Journal de Montreal journalist who was being spied on.

https://twitter.com/IsabelleRicher/status/793899102081781760

https://twitter.com/mmdenisrc/status/793892636302139393

https://twitter.com/gravela_rc/status/793903599046787076

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

But you see, C-51 was never going to be abused. There would be checks and balances to ensure that freedoms were not being violated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

I never said they were. People like you are the reason that Sun chain newspaper articles get written in one sentence paragraphs.

Well, the alternative interpretation, which is apparently what you intended, is that the sentence in question has nothing to do with the original point of the paragraph and was included solely to indulge your penchant for bitching about the ((( internationalists ))). I suppose I thought too highly of intelligence to presume you'd make such a clumsy mistake. But don't worry, it won't happen again!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

On that note, Quebecor continues on its death march:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/quebecor-media-job-cuts-1.3832717

quote:

Quebecor Media Group said Wednesday it will cut 220 jobs, or about eight per cent of its workforce, as the company restructures.

The cuts will affect mainly managers, professionals and administrative support staff, the company said.

TVA Group, Quebecor Media's main subsidiary, will cut 125 positions, but the company said there will no impact on its newsrooms or on news coverage across Quebec.

"In Quebec as elsewhere in the world, our industry is facing ongoing disruption," said Julie Tremblay, the president and CEO of Quebecor Media Group and TVA Group Inc.

"We have therefore taken a number of initiatives over the past two years to adapt to the changes, including the creation of Quebecor Media Group, an integrated media company, and the acquisition and sale of various properties," Tremblay said in a news release.

"Today it is clear that we must continue our transformation in order to further adjust structural costs and become more agile."

As part of the restructuring, TVA Publications will cease publication of two magazines — CHEZ SOI and Tellement bon — to focus on others brands.

Too bad that they sold off the Sun news division to Postmedia--then again they're on a death march too.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Well, the alternative interpretation, which is apparently what you intended, is that the sentence in question has nothing to do with the original point of the paragraph and was included solely to indulge your penchant for bitching about the ((( internationalists ))). I suppose I thought too highly of intelligence to presume you'd make such a clumsy mistake. But don't worry, it won't happen again!

The conventional English interpretation of someone saying X is "sort of like" Y is to suggest that the speaker sees some kind of similarity between two things, not that one thing causes the other. In this case, a similarity between ineffectual pearl clutching over our bad civics curriculum and ineffectual pearl clutching over low voter-turnout in a society where voting has decreasing significance for most people's daily lives. There shouldn't be anything confusing about this.

I brought up trade deals in that specific context because I think it's ironic when NAFTA or TPP boosters like the Globe and Mail express concern about lack of civic engagement. The pro-globalization discourse through which these deals are justified emphasizes global citizenship and market-driven solutions as superior to local determinism and political democracy. Yet these same pro-globalization voices will express concern about the limited interest most people have in elections and governance. I see this as similarly ineffectual and silly to the concerns people express about lack of decent Civics classes. It all feeds into my larger point, in both cases, which is that it's extremely superficial to get worried about civic knowledge or voting when the real problem is the general (and rational) assessment on most people's parts that electoral politics is largely irrelevant to their daily lives.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's not sarcastic at all but I'm curious why you think it might be.

You could pretty much C+P the whole thing word for word into a Beaverton article and nobody would bat an eye.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

RBC posted:

I feel like the subtle context of ostracizing the trinity western lawschool by the legal profession is more about protecting the "prestige" of the profession and keeping a private religious school out of it than any noble defence of same-sex rights

My main problem is that there's already too many law schools in the country than there are articling jobs, so the opening of new schools will just result in an American-style law graduate crisis.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bub spank posted:

My main problem is that there's already too many law schools in the country than there are articling jobs, so the opening of new schools will just result in an American-style law graduate crisis.

Why not make lawyers as common as real estate agents?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

The conventional English interpretation of someone saying X is "sort of like" Y is to suggest that the speaker sees some kind of similarity between two things, not that one thing causes the other. In this case, a similarity between ineffectual pearl clutching over our bad civics curriculum and ineffectual pearl clutching over low voter-turnout in a society where voting has decreasing significance for most people's daily lives. There shouldn't be anything confusing about this.

Fair enough. You have to admit that this interpretation was not obvious to anyone who doesn't already agree with you that:

quote:

it's extremely superficial to get worried about civic knowledge or voting when the real problem is the general (and rational) assessment on most people's parts that electoral politics is largely irrelevant to their daily lives

EDIT: To clarify, it would be reasonable to assume the similarity you see between the two situations is based on something that you actually mentioned in your post, as opposed to something you've only mentioned just now. Thus, my earlier misunderstanding.

EDIT 2: One could also argue that the reason teenagers feel disengaged from the political process is they are legally unable to vote, and they may not understand how it works. The former issue is unlikely to change, but the latter issue could be fixed by.... a good civics class or something!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 3, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Butcher posted:

You could pretty much C+P the whole thing word for word into a Beaverton article and nobody would bat an eye.

As an aside, Beaverton is getting a show on Comedy Network for some reason.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

As an aside, Beaverton is getting a show on Comedy Network for some reason.

They better move quick, Ottawa Citizen is nudging into their market.

quote:

What will you do when Trump's troops invade?

Would President Trump wait for a pipeline? No. Waiting for a safe and legal pipeline takes too much time. Annexations for oil resources are much simpler. Just ask Ukraine. Given Trump’s connections to Putin via ex-adviser Paul Manafort, and his pro-Kremlin foreign policy positions, it’s not a daring leap of imagination to consider that Trump might put Putin’s tactics to use regarding Canada.

So, what would Canada do in the event of an invasion? Well, it’s obvious that people in border-adjacent cities would be in trouble. (War is the one thing that might pop the real estate bubbles in Vancouver and Toronto.) The people in Canada’s north and its prairies might be in a better position to defend themselves: not since colonization have troops reckoned with Canadian winters, and there’s a reason Prince Harry trained at CFB Suffield in Alberta. But for the people of Ontario, it may be time to ask not just if your cottage is weatherproofed (assuming you have access to one), but how defensible it is.

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/ashby-what-will-you-do-when-trumps-troops-invade

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We will, in fact, greet them as liberators.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I'll be living in the EU by that point, dealing with the "muzzie invasion" or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
We're going to build a wall without minarets, and we're going to make the Middle East pay for it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They better move quick, Ottawa Citizen is nudging into their market.

I imagine this being said with an increasingly shrill tone of desperation:

quote:

Canada is a country worthy of invasion.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I already live in the US so I'll get to reap the sweet benefits of colonialism

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

A Typical Goon posted:

Is that not the point of PR? Why should rural Canada have such a significant say in Canadian politics when the majority of the population is found in the cities?

gently caress rural hicks that hold back the rest of Canada with their ignorant redneck beliefs

keeping the various regions of Canada happy has always been a challenge for the federal government

if there was an ontario/quebec group that governed the country with no overtures to the west or maritimes it is very feasible that the country could fall apart

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Landsknecht posted:

keeping the various regions of Canada happy has always been a challenge for the federal government

if there was an ontario/quebec group that governed the country with no overtures to the west or maritimes it is very feasible that the country could fall apart

Why would we expect a PR based Canadian electoral system to cater more heavily to regionalism than the current system, where the path to victory is to assemble a strong regional coalition? And why does a poster bringing up the urban vs. rural divide make you fear the breakup of the country when the West is overwhelmingly urban (just like the rest of the country)? Even in Saskatchewan 67% of the population is classified as living in urban areas, and that's lower than Manitoba and significantly lower than Alberta.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Queen's Park:

quote:

Yasir Naqvi says he is not a "legal expert". Tory MPP Randy Hillier shouts, "You're the Attorney General!"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Next thing you'll be telling me the health minister isn't even a medical do...

okay bad example

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think a big part of the problem with over-representing rural areas to ensure some kind of balance is that, for some reason, there's a shitton of rear end-backwards viewpoints that seem to fester in rural areas that really have nothing to do with concerns that are directly caused by living in a rural area.

I mean, being a racist or a homophobe shouldn't be correlated with whether you live in a city or on a farm, but for some reason it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

#NotAllRurals

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Go back to North York.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

I think a big part of the problem with over-representing rural areas to ensure some kind of balance is that, for some reason, there's a shitton of rear end-backwards viewpoints that seem to fester in rural areas that really have nothing to do with concerns that are directly caused by living in a rural area.

I mean, being a racist or a homophobe shouldn't be correlated with whether you live in a city or on a farm, but for some reason it is.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the correlation is more closely based on whether you have a university education.

E: Seriously though the relentless hate on people in rural areas in this thread gets old. The farmhorse is dead, quit beating it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 3, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Helsing posted:

Why would we expect a PR based Canadian electoral system to cater more heavily to regionalism than the current system, where the path to victory is to assemble a strong regional coalition? And why does a poster bringing up the urban vs. rural divide make you fear the breakup of the country when the West is overwhelmingly urban (just like the rest of the country)? Even in Saskatchewan 67% of the population is classified as living in urban areas, and that's lower than Manitoba and significantly lower than Alberta.

I think it really depends on how the electorate adapts to the system. However, groups such as the green party could make plays that would be much more favourable to urban residents (excise tax on large vehicles) which would play terribly with rural voters, but the demographics mean that there's more to be gained with a play to urban voters.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the correlation is more closely based on whether you have a university education.

Or any extended period of time interacting with people from another postal code. Nothing kills the fear of the other like meeting them and realizing hey, they're actual people

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Or any extended period of time interacting with people from another postal code. Nothing kills the fear of the other like meeting them and realizing hey, they're actual people

Which explains why places like Winnipeg and Saskatchewan with lots of natives are the least racist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Seriously though the relentless hate on people in rural areas in this thread gets old. The farmhorse is dead, quit beating it.

It probably really does just depend on cities, because that's where you meet people that are different from you, and when you regularly interact with those people, you're less likely to fear/dislike them. You tend not to get that in rural areas because not many immigrants choose to live there (for obvious reasons, same reasons why Canadians at large don't).

Of course that's mitigated by how terribly suburban our cities are, they're great at segregating people on class lines, and often ethnic ones as well. University experience helps because they're ethically diverse (and I suspect minorities are overrepresented these days), but does little for encouraging mixing across class boundaries.

fe: the reason we're so down on rurals is because they love to shout about how important their problems are, when really by pure weight of numbers, they aren't. Yes, privatizing Ontario Hydro is dumb and bad. No, nobody cares that you pay huge delivery charges because you live in the middle of nowhere.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Landsknecht posted:

I think it really depends on how the electorate adapts to the system. However, groups such as the green party could make plays that would be much more favourable to urban residents (excise tax on large vehicles) which would play terribly with rural voters, but the demographics mean that there's more to be gained with a play to urban voters.

Eight in ten Canadians live in what the government classifies as urban areas, including a majority of the residents of every western province and British Columbia. Why would an explicitly pro-urban party be either a bad thing or something that exacerbates regionalism?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Eight in ten Canadians live in what the government classifies as urban areas, including a majority of the residents of every western province and British Columbia. Why would an explicitly pro-urban party be either a bad thing or something that exacerbates regionalism?

Again, the citizens of places like Peterborough, Trois-Rivieres or Kelowna wouldn't self-identify as Urban no matter how the government classifies them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Liberals continue to cultivate the goodwill and friendship of the Middle East's most pro-feminist regime.

The Globe and Mail posted:

Canadian meeting with Saudi human rights commission draws criticism
STEVEN CHASE
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 02, 2016 9:38PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Nov. 02, 2016 9:38PM EDT

The Saudi Arabian flag flew on Parliament Hill on Wednesday as Canadian public officials met with a state-backed human rights commission from the Mideast country, a controversial body that publicly supported the Islamic kingdom’s mass executions in January, 2016.

Human-rights advocates say they fear that treating the Saudi Arabian Human Rights Commission as a serious watchdog plays into the Riyadh government’s efforts to bolster its reputation at a time when it is accused of violating international humanitarian law with aerial bombing in Yemen, locking up dissidents and discriminating against women and religious minorities.

Canada’s relationship with Saudi Arabia has come under intense scrutiny in the past 18 months over a $15-billion deal to sell weaponized armoured vehicles to the kingdom, which has an abysmal human-rights record. The country’s chief envoy to Canada earlier this year called the contract a goodwill gesture to cement friendship between Riyadh and Ottawa.

On Jan. 2, 2016, mass executions in Saudi Arabia – the largest in decades – killed 47, including Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, a dissident cleric critical of the House of Saud. Governments around the world, including Canada’s, condemned the actions.

The Saudi Human Rights Commission was quick to affirm the executions. In a statement issued by the state-controlled Saudi Press Agency, it said the verdicts “enforce justice, fulfill … legitimate and legal requirements, and protect the society and its security and stability.”

The head of the commission, Bandar Bin Mohammed Al-Aiban, made courtesy calls this week to Commons Speaker Geoff Regan and Senate speaker George Furey, but also met with Conservative foreign affairs critic Peter Kent. The green-and-white Saudi flag flew on the “courtesy flag pole” between Parliament’s Centre Block and East Block – standard protocol – on Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Mr. Al-Aiban met with International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, and with Patty Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women. The Canadian government said the pair would “focus on the importance of women and girls as powerful agents for change.”

According to Freedom House, a U.S. democracy watchdog, in Saudi Arabia “women are not treated as equal members of society, and many laws discriminate against them. They are not permitted to drive cars and must obtain permission from a male guardian in order to travel within or outside of the country.”

Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion’s office said Mr. Dion would meet with Mr. Al-Aiban on Thursday and discuss a “full range of human-rights issues,” including Raif Badawi, a writer whose immediate family lives in Canada. In recent years, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes for “insulting Islam.”

That day, Mr. Al-Aiban will also be the special guest at a roundtable on human rights in Ottawa.

It is not clear the Saudi body will take a deep interest in Mr. Badawi.

The U.S. State Department said in a 2015 report that the Saudi rights commission focuses on “less politically sensitive” areas such as child abuse, child marriage and prison conditions, but “avoided topics, such as protests or cases of political activists or reformists, that would require directly confronting government authorities.”

One human-rights watchdog said the Saudi human-rights commissioners are “not necessarily the bad guys in the Saudi system” – given their work on matters such as child abuse. But, Adam Coogle, a researcher at Human Rights Watch, said they do “seem to be more interested in burnishing Saudi Arabia’s international image vis-à-vis human rights than actually advocating for necessary reforms.”

Mr. Dion said on Wednesday he is aware the Saudi commission supports the January mass executions.

“I am aware of all the difficulties and the trouble. It’s an additional reason to engage – to try to make improvement,” he said.

Asked if he was concerned that working with the Saudi body would help legitimize a group criticized for its lack of independence from Riyadh, the minister said he feels it is better to talk than to shun them.

“To the contrary, I will never miss an opportunity to see how we may improve the situation for the Saudis regarding universal human rights,” Mr. Dion said.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Again, the citizens of places like Peterborough, Trois-Rivieres or Kelowna wouldn't self-identify as Urban no matter how the government classifies them.

Those cities all have populations of greater than 100,000 people so they're free to believe whatever they want but they live in urban centres. To my mind the real issue isn't confusing urban and rural, but lacking a distinct definition for suburban vs. urban. But either way, I suspect the most relevant cleavage here is often going to be job / income, level of education and preferred mode of transportation.

Anyway, let's grant for the sake of argument that cities with populations of less than 125,000 can be classified as culturally rural. So what? No one has yet connected the dots and explain how urban vs. rural discontent is going to become worse under a PR system, nor has anyone explained how this will in turn lead to a crisis of regionalism, since every significant province in the country is primarily urban, even if we relax the criteria for what counts as "rural".

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
lol at the idea of someone from Kelowna classifying themselves as "rural"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

b0ner of doom posted:

lol at the idea of someone from Kelowna classifying themselves as "rural"

It really is more of a cultural thing. "urban" people are more left leaning, rurals more right leaning. There's a whole ridiculous cultural self-identity going on on top of the politics. It also comes down to planning too, there's a "culture war" going on in a lot of small and medium cities with some wanting a more dense walkable core, better transit and such. Others see their town as rural and all this transit and density stuff is useless big-city socialism and the war on cars. There's lots of 100kish "cities" that are basically just big centreless suburbs and people want them to stay that way. Keep the taxes low, keep the infrastructure basic and just for cars.

That's really the division in, Urban vs Suburban, not rural. Actual rurals are such a tiny minority they don't even factor in, but suburban folk who self-identify as rural and refuse to address issues from that reality are a problem.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Baronjutter posted:

It really is more of a cultural thing. "urban" people are more left leaning, rurals more right leaning. There's a whole ridiculous cultural self-identity going on on top of the politics. It also comes down to planning too, there's a "culture war" going on in a lot of small and medium cities with some wanting a more dense walkable core, better transit and such. Others see their town as rural and all this transit and density stuff is useless big-city socialism and the war on cars. There's lots of 100kish "cities" that are basically just big centreless suburbs and people want them to stay that way. Keep the taxes low, keep the infrastructure basic and just for cars.

That's really the division in, Urban vs Suburban, not rural. Actual rurals are such a tiny minority they don't even factor in, but suburban folk who self-identify as rural and refuse to address issues from that reality are a problem.

I have lived in Ontario most of my life and honestly, this would be the real danger in expanding Ontario's representation in federal politics.

PT6A posted:

Racists and bigots self-select to live in more homogeneous communities with other white people. Also, seniors are over-represented in rural communities because they don't have to go to jobs every day and well, we all know that white seniors, even ones that have lived in diverse areas most of their lives, as a demographic aren't so good with "those people."

peter banana fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:psyduck: Christ, must every left leaning person I meet be either terrified of democracy or else convinced that a Truly Leftist party platform would produce a sweeping majority mandate for the NDP? Can't we have a middle ground between crippling cynicism and naive optimism?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

:psyduck: Christ, must every left leaning person I meet be either terrified of democracy or else convinced that a Truly Leftist party platform would produce a sweeping majority mandate for the NDP? Can't we have a middle ground between crippling cynicism and naive optimism?

"People who aren't like me are going to ruin this country." - Every Canadian. Try not to worry about it and take your dog fishing or whatever city people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I get the part about cultural identity and whatnot but I suppose I'd find whatever thought process leads a Kelowna suburbanite to identify themselves as "rural" to be strange.

I'm live/am from somewhere much, much more remote by comparison so maybe I just don't get it. Interesting nonetheless.