Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can filter on the review page by being on the particular item then going to the reviews. I agree though, it's a lovely system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can filter on the review page by being on the particular item then going to the reviews. I agree though, it's a lovely system.

Never knew that. So there are zero reviews for that specific HSF.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Moey posted:

Never knew that. So there are zero reviews for that specific HSF.

Because no one has received one yet. I think I was like the first person on the planet to purchase it and it hasn't shipped yet (given the lag time I'm thinking they're having it drop shipped to me from Thermaltake who doesn't have stock ready).

Edit: Yesterday they only offered slow-shipping from 3rd party, today it is Amazon Prime and they offer 1-day shipping, so I canceled the 3rd party order and placed it again with 1-day shipping.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 2, 2016

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Zero VGS posted:

Because no one has received one yet. I think I was like the first person on the planet to purchase it and it hasn't shipped yet (given the lag time I'm thinking they're having it drop shipped to me from Thermaltake who doesn't have stock ready).

Edit: Yesterday they only offered slow-shipping from 3rd party, today it is Amazon Prime and they offer 1-day shipping, so I canceled the 3rd party order and placed it again with 1-day shipping.

Looking forward to your impressions. I'm gonna be choosing between this and a Cryorig C7 and I'd prefer the Thermaltake over the C7 if it works well enough.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

Looking forward to your impressions. I'm gonna be choosing between this and a Cryorig C7 and I'd prefer the Thermaltake over the C7 if it works well enough.

Son of a bitch, now they changed my one-day shipping order to "expected to ship Nov 7th" with one-day shipping. Just call it a preorder if you don't physically have them yet, for fucks sake.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Mung Dynasty posted:

What processor are you planning on using?

The Cyrorig will almost certainly provide better, or at worst equal, performance to the Engine 27 for half the cost.

I'm betting that this type of cooler is going to be fairly difficult to scale up and that its sweet spot will be in thin-mini/mini-stx/NUC style builds where space is at an absolute premium. If you have the space for a larger cooler then there will almost certainly be better/more affordable options.

Although I certainly support getting the fancy Engine 27 cooler because it looks cool.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zero VGS posted:

Son of a bitch, now they changed my one-day shipping order to "expected to ship Nov 7th" with one-day shipping. Just call it a preorder if you don't physically have them yet, for fucks sake.

That sucks. I'm guessing Amazon will refund your shipping upgrade though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Moey posted:

That sucks. I'm guessing Amazon will refund your shipping upgrade though.

I mean, I've been stalking the Coolchip page for like the 3 years since they announced the product, I can wait another week I guess.

I'm pretty pumped though because if these perform well enough the design might end up completely replacing all other heatsinks, including other appliances like air conditioners, gaming consoles, power supplies etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When do we start betting on the noise / temps? I'm keen to see how it works

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm really curious about those coolers. They look neat but will they be effective? They remind me of the tunnel from Event Horizon:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If it transports my computer to hell and back in about 7 years, I suspect that it'll perform about as fast as a comparable market segment processor at that time that uses maybe 6x as much power.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Fractal announced the Define C and Define C Mini. The mini is still 33L in volume which doesn't feel that small, especially as it's mITX only. I'd want something sub 25L for that.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I believe the mini c is micro atx.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Krailor posted:

What processor are you planning on using?

The Cyrorig will almost certainly provide better, or at worst equal, performance to the Engine 27 for half the cost.

I'm betting that this type of cooler is going to be fairly difficult to scale up and that its sweet spot will be in thin-mini/mini-stx/NUC style builds where space is at an absolute premium. If you have the space for a larger cooler then there will almost certainly be better/more affordable options.

Although I certainly support getting the fancy Engine 27 cooler because it looks cool.

Not 100% decided, but likely an i5 6500?

Obviously, yeah, the Cryorig is gonna be the cheaper, "better" option but I like the design/aesthetics of the Engine 27 and yes this is obviously the most important thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

buffbus posted:

I believe the mini c is micro atx.

yep it's mATX. Honestly mATX is kind of a weird area. ITX / ATX get all the attention, but there's not really anything 'wrong' with mATX it's just kind of ... in the middle.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Scott Forstall posted:

Fractal announced the Define C and Define C Mini. The mini is still 33L in volume which doesn't feel that small, especially as it's mITX only. I'd want something sub 25L for that.

Mentioned it earlier, the Mini is microATX, just like the older Define Mini, not mini-ITX. For that, there's the Define Nano S already.

vv Yeah, it's not a small case, but I was just pointing out the Nano is the mini-ITX version, not the Mini. Ah, naming schemes.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 3, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

HalloKitty posted:

Mentioned it earlier, the Mini is microATX, just like the older Define Mini, not mini-ITX. For that, there's the Define Nano S already.

Which is still more than 28L.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So it goes:

Define XL - The biggest case they do, does it all, weighs a tonne.
Define R5 - full featured ATX. Basically the flagship.
Define S - ATX, minus cages and some minor changes
Define C - ATX, minus cages and maybe a bit narrower? Seems very similar to the S.
Define Mini C - mATX version of the above.
Define Mini - older mATX design.
Define Nano S - ITX version. There's no non-S nano.

Jesus. It's as bad as cars. Why do no companies have any foresight or respect to standards?

It should be more like:

Define XL - eATX
Define R5 / S5 - ATX
Define M - mATX
Define Nano - iTX

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

HalloKitty posted:

vv Yeah, it's not a small case, but I was just pointing out the Nano is the mini-ITX version, not the Mini. Ah, naming schemes.

It'll take mATX and mITX.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dammit. All I wanted was a smaller Nano.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I have an R3 and it is quiet and wonderful but my next build in a year or two will be a single video card, single ssd system and 47L is kind of ridiculous for that. Something 25L or less, like the Node 504, is what I'm looking for. If I buy instead of build, I'd get something like the Falcon NW Fragbox (I hate that name, but spec-wise it's everything I want).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

well why not posted:

yep it's mATX. Honestly mATX is kind of a weird area. ITX / ATX get all the attention, but there's not really anything 'wrong' with mATX it's just kind of ... in the middle.

You'd think with 3 and 4 way SLI being discontinued at least as far as NVIDIA goes, and nothing worthwhile Crossfiring, mATX would start becoming more popular. However, we all know that the computer industry hates change, so we likely won't.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this is the best thread but maybe there isn't one - has anyone used an Intel NUC with an active Mini DisplayPort-HDMI 2.0 adapter? I have a Broadwell i3 NUC that has no problem doing 4K @ 60Hz to a monitor over DisplayPort and a 4K TV that has no problem taking 4K @ 60Hz from my Haswell MacBook Pro or Latitude E7270 through an adapter, but if I combine the adapter and the NUC I can't get over 30Hz. If I try to manually set a custom resolution at 60Hz through the Intel control panel, I am told that there's insufficient bandwidth. I don't know if there's some special trick I'm missing or if it's just a weird incompatibility.
Related question, why is there not a single 4K TV on the face of the earth with DisplayPort?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

I have an R3 and it is quiet and wonderful but my next build in a year or two will be a single video card, single ssd system and 47L is kind of ridiculous for that. Something 25L or less, like the Node 504, is what I'm looking for. If I buy instead of build, I'd get something like the Falcon NW Fragbox (I hate that name, but spec-wise it's everything I want).
Heh 25L seems like such an easy target for that. My Ncase is 12.6L...and that seems huge these days compared to a lot of the newer cases people are working on now. Kinda wish they'd make a smaller version based on a SFX PSU and maybe short cards.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

japtor posted:

Heh 25L seems like such an easy target for that. My Ncase is 12.6L...and that seems huge these days compared to a lot of the newer cases people are working on now. Kinda wish they'd make a smaller version based on a SFX PSU and maybe short cards.

I've been drooling over and speccing out theoretical builds in the Ncase for a long time. That'd probably be my ideal case. In black, it's the perfect little box and the build quality is great from what I've read. The falcon tiki gets that small, but I'd trade size for cool & whisper quiet operation. My 970 gets me 1080/60/high settings on new stuff and 1080/30/ultra on basically everything (and I don't really play fast reflex games) and when I build a new box I want to make a noticeable jump. I'm waiting for a single card that can do 4K g-sync well. GTX 1180ti or 1280 (with HBM in there somewhere so hopefully we get a good selection of short 6" cards) and a 2tb ssd so I can have everything installed and bluetooth kb/m/headphones.

I've put some time into thinking about this lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VulgarandStupid posted:

You'd think with 3 and 4 way SLI being discontinued at least as far as NVIDIA goes, and nothing worthwhile Crossfiring, mATX would start becoming more popular. However, we all know that the computer industry hates change, so we likely won't.

mATX still involves jamming 2-slot cards as close to each other as possible and if you have a reasonable case volume for lots of radiator mounts/etc it really isn't that much smaller than ATX.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

I've been drooling over and speccing out theoretical builds in the Ncase for a long time. That'd probably be my ideal case. In black, it's the perfect little box and the build quality is great from what I've read. The falcon tiki gets that small, but I'd trade size for cool & whisper quiet operation. My 970 gets me 1080/60/high settings on new stuff and 1080/30/ultra on basically everything (and I don't really play fast reflex games) and when I build a new box I want to make a noticeable jump. I'm waiting for a single card that can do 4K g-sync well. GTX 1180ti or 1280 (with HBM in there somewhere so hopefully we get a good selection of short 6" cards) and a 2tb ssd so I can have everything installed and bluetooth kb/m/headphones.

I've put some time into thinking about this lol
Posts like this make me glad I don't really give a poo poo about high resolutions/settings :v:. Give me a good framerate at 720p and I'm good. Course I'm playing on a TV, I'd probably think differently at my computer desk.

I've had my eye on a short 1060 card but I'm holding out for Black Friday sales...and I'd be fine with the integrated graphics if it weren't for Pacman CE 2 running slow :argh:. That and some full screen no sound bug I can't track down, not sure it's actually anything to do with the IGP but I'm hoping switching to a GPU will get around it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have recommendations for cases which look good from all angles? I need to put a computer somewhere that it will be quite visible from behind, but all the smaller cases I've seen just have a metal sheet and loads of ports on the rear.

Admittedly it's a niche market and the reason for all-in-one pc's but I would quite like something that will be upgradeable.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Looking at building with the RVZ02B, but I've read a couple of things that make me nervous:

(1) A reviewer on either Newegg or PC Part Picker said that they bought a card that was 12", but it only just fit. The RVZ02B claims to accept a 13" card, so what the heck happened?

(2) I would love to buy an NVMe 960 EVO as a boot drive for this machine, but the mITX motherboards I've seen all have the M.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. Do I need to worry about the 960 EVO getting absurdly hot since it will get no help cooling itself at all?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Looking at building with the RVZ02B, but I've read a couple of things that make me nervous:

(1) A reviewer on either Newegg or PC Part Picker said that they bought a card that was 12", but it only just fit. The RVZ02B claims to accept a 13" card, so what the heck happened?

(2) I would love to buy an NVMe 960 EVO as a boot drive for this machine, but the mITX motherboards I've seen all have the M.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. Do I need to worry about the 960 EVO getting absurdly hot since it will get no help cooling itself at all?

1. It's probably the height of the card, i.e. from pci-e port to the opposite edge. Look at how far said card extends past the pci bracket.

2. It will probably be okay with real work loads but might throttle during synthetics. I guess you could always use thermal pads to transfer heat to the back plate which might help.

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for cases which look good from all angles? I need to put a computer somewhere that it will be quite visible from behind, but all the smaller cases I've seen just have a metal sheet and loads of ports on the rear.

Admittedly it's a niche market and the reason for all-in-one pc's but I would quite like something that will be upgradeable.

Check out the FT03-mini, I guess.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

VulgarandStupid posted:

Check out the FT03-mini, I guess.

The cs01 (?) is nice as well. The one thing I don't like is that the cables come out of the top. The fan intake is at the bottom, but it's still a bummer that you can't have a solitary monolith with cables hidden at the bottom if you need it "clean" on all sides.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2016

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations, they both look good, although the power cords coming out of the top is a strange design decision for both to have.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

The cs01 (?) is nice as well. The one thing I don't like is that the cables come out of the top. The fan intake is at the bottom is at the bottom, but it's still a bummer that you can't have a solitary monolith with cables hidden at the bottom if you need it "clean" on all sides.

Do you want to have to flip your computer over every time you need to plug or unplug something?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Can only speak from my own experience so ymmv but because my box is only for games, once I got everything plugged in, I might only go behind the case a couple times a year tops.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you want to have to flip your computer over every time you need to plug or unplug something?

How often do you need to plug or unplug power, monitor, ethernet, and keyboard/mouse? Most cases have USB plugs near the front for the stuff you will actually plug/unplug on the reg.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

1. It's probably the height of the card, i.e. from pci-e port to the opposite edge. Look at how far said card extends past the pci bracket.

2. It will probably be okay with real work loads but might throttle during synthetics. I guess you could always use thermal pads to transfer heat to the back plate which might help.

(1) :doh: Thanks for pointing out that GPUs have three dimensions. Saved me from making a *very* expensive mistake.

(2) I'm not familiar with thermal pads, and I have no idea how to use what comes up when I do a Newegg search for that term.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you need a computer to look good from all angles and an all-in-one isn't an option then I think your best bet is to get a case that you can bolt underneath a desk and use as many wireless peripherals as possible.

For thermal pads, see http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/fans-thermal-management/thermal-pads-sheets/1179751

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just got my Thermaltake Engine 27; the build quality is super-solid. At default RPM I can only hear it holding it right up to my ear, and at full RPM I can't hear if if it is put inside the case. I don't have any way to test temps yet but if it performs as promised then it'll obsolete all other coolers in the 70 TDP and below range.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Just got my Thermaltake Engine 27; the build quality is super-solid. At default RPM I can only hear it holding it right up to my ear, and at full RPM I can't hear if if it is put inside the case. I don't have any way to test temps yet but if it performs as promised then it'll obsolete all other coolers in the 70 TDP and below range.
Oh neat, is that the spinny heatsink/fan thing finally come to mass market? (fake edit: looking earlier in the thread, yes it is)

I don't need one at all, but I totally just want one for how cool :c00lbert: it is, pun semi intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Zero VGS posted:

Can't wait to find out temps. I feel like the guy above me, don't need one at all but I just want one anyway