Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

In Florida, we had a similar thing about solar power. The wording of the amendment makes it sound like it will make things easier for solar power to get established in the state, but if you look into who proposed and backed it, it's the existing electric companies trying to block solar power from becoming a widespread thing in Florida via state constitutional amendment.

It's a god drat scam. I mean, here is the text on the ballot:

quote:

Rights of Electricity Consumers Regarding Solar Energy Choice
This amendment establishes a right under Florida's constitution for consumers to own or lease solar equipment installed on their property to generate electricity for their own use. State and local governments shall retain their abilities to protect consumer rights and public health, safety and welfare, and to ensure that consumers who do not choose to install solar are not required to subsidize the costs of backup power and electric grid access to those who do.

The amendment is not expected to result in an increase or decrease in any revenues or costs to state and local government.

o Yes
o No

But in reality, as you said, it's a ploy by big power companies to try to block solar power and solar companies despise the proposed amendment and power companies have poured millions of dollars into getting this poo poo passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rabble posted:

So much for the Cleveland vote.

Pretty sure she'd even tell you that it was worth it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/CandaceSmith_/status/794214725622042624

Not to go too much anti-BillMitchell, other than the obvious bullshit claim, doesn't that look like a poor showing for a Trump rally?

Most of his rallies are something like this. Usually they just try to make the crowd seem bigger by packing the audience in one section of seats, and then cropping photos to the crowded section.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

CNN decided to respond to the "post the map" challenge, I guess:

All of those look incredibly unlikely, but whatevs

Trump reminds himself to be "nice and cool"

Yet he will never be cool and good

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Axe Master posted:

I lived in Haverhill for the past two years before moving back to Boston, and I don't find it difficult to believe at all that New Hampshire would vote Trump. It's a nightmarish state filled with the conservative/libertarian idiots that commute 90+ minutes to Boston every day rather than live in TAXACHUSETTS. I'm almost surprised it was polling as far toward Clinton as it had been.

Still doesn't matter, but seriously gently caress New Hampshire. Except the white mountains and the state liquor stores.

I have no doubt we'd lose a which state is worse match with Mass but not without getting some good punches in.

You guys produced Romney and made us deal with kicking Scott Brown to the curb. We might produce worse poo poo but at least we keep it from affecting the rest of America.

I think we can all be thankful for Paul LePage making us look better though.

I have no way of defending our circus of a state house or our tax policies though. We are truly hosed when the GOP wins an odd governors election. Then I'm heading south of the border.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SavageBastard posted:

The map I almost posted last Friday when people started freaking out about Comey is looking more and more possible.

:laffo: no that poo poo ain't, Trump's not taking Nevada and he sure as hell isn't taking NC or FL.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrBond posted:

The other thing is that even with our weak form of federalism, Obama has such limited power here anyway. When I hear the demand that he fix that or fix black community problems before police shootings, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that too. Do they expect him to parachute into every municipality and fix the police force himself?

again, poor understanding of how the world works, does not understand the role of the president and the delegation of powers etc.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not sure whether or not the networks will call it, but I'm willing to personally be certain if she wins NC.

I'm really, really glad that my vote is contributing to that happening. :)

If she wins NC it's virtually over. Like she can actually lose NV, CO, OH and NH and win. Obviously that's not ideal and for various senate races we want to win as many of those as possible, but we don't have to.

Honestly I think she gets to 322 with a national margin of something 3-4%.

SavageBastard posted:

The map I almost posted last Friday when people started freaking out about Comey is looking more and more possible.

I don't think you're going to live in the world where NV goes R and Colorado doesn't too.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

SavageBastard posted:

This is the most likely Trump-wins map, but NV, FL and NC are all looking up for Clinton based on actual votes thus far.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not sure whether or not the networks will call it, but I'm willing to personally be certain if she wins NC.

I'm really, really glad that my vote is contributing to that happening. :)

Thanks friend :patriot:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/794216772459229184

Clinton doing better with Hispanics than Obama (but seriously, the 19% of Hispanics voting for Trump are the dumbest people on the planet)

This is good for Nevada and Florida.

Pair that with this:

https://twitter.com/LatinoDecisions/status/793871820843692032

+2 to 3 million Hispanic voters compared to 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Real RPG question? How often do you play not as your own gender?

I think it always can be interesting, like playing fallout 2 as a women and finding you occasionally cannot access parts of the game. Or being able to pursue a romance with Alistair in Dragon Age, and the friendship you can have with Lyanna just seems fun (alos I palyed my elf warrior as Buffy). Plus Femshep (who doesn't want the voice of Jennifer Hale)? Also for some reason I always felt Arcanum was best when playing as a female half elf mage fighter. Although outside an attempted female play through in fallout 2 I never have done female playthroughs of the others. (Fallout 1 because well I played fallout 2 first and the Manuel made it clear the vault dweller was a male). Finally I always play Kotor 2 as a women because even before it became canon (which now may not matter) it just seemed right to be a women for that role compared to my attempt to be some male character out of TOTJ.

Also I'd rather we do RPG chat then replay the Democratic primary chat.

Given the choice I always play as a woman, I've been doing this going back to Golden Axe in the arcades back on the day.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yup, Trump's back to just saying whatever poo poo comes into his head. Here's his thoughts from just now on presidential temperament:

Donald Trump posted:

I'm also honored to have the greatest temperament that anybody has.
How is this man real. How is this campaign real.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

Ultimecia is like a time traveling witch that wants to destroy all of time for reasons? Or maybe she wanted to fold all time into the future so she could rule over everything? Has about the same amount of motivation as most final FF bosses IMO.

Ultimecia is actually Rinoa in the future who is trying to stop the past because she's sad.

Also Squall is Dead makes FF8 go from horrible to amazing and I wish the remake made it explicit.

edit: I just finished FFX and I think it's pretty good but I hated how Wakka was cool but would probably vote for Spira-Trump because of his hatred of Al-Bhed.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Merrill explained his thoughts in an interview with a progressive voting rights initiative called Answering the Call. Asked about automatic registration for people who turn 18, Merrill responded, “I don’t think that just because your birthday comes around, that you ought to be registered to vote.” He then listed a litany of voting rights advocates—including Rep. John Lewis, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks—and declared:
These people fought—some of them were beaten, some of them were killed—because of their desire to ensure that everybody that wanted to had the right to register to vote and participate in the process. I’m not going to cheapen the work that they did. ...

Up is down and war is peace. This man is a state governor.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 3, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If she wins NC it's virtually over. Like she can actually lose NV, CO, OH and NH and win. Obviously that's not ideal and for various senate races we want to win as many of those as possible, but we don't have to.

Honestly I think she gets to 322 with a national margin of something 3-4%.

I don't think you're going to live in the world where NV goes R and Colorado doesn't too.

322 is my prediction, as well - although if I was forced to I would say I'm not sure about Florida.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Blorange posted:

This is the most likely Trump-wins map, but NV, FL and NC are all looking up for Clinton based on actual votes thus far.

What's a good source for updated early voting demographic data?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
lol Obama absolutely roasting Rubio, yesss

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

SavageBastard posted:

What's a good source for updated early voting demographic data?

https://twitter.com/ElectProject for many states, NC focused
https://twitter.com/steveschale for FL
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports for NV

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

322 is my prediction, as well - although if I was forced to I would say I'm not sure about Florida.

I think Florida will be fine, but we can win without it, which is a total luxury.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This is one of the cooler "Cubs win" things I've seen so far:

https://twitter.com/GraceJohnso/status/794042007501045760

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

MrBond posted:

Does anyone understand the rationale behind "race relations have gotten worse under Obama?" I saw bits of what looked like a focus group on cbs this morning, and that was one of the themes.

The implication seems to be that Obama is stoking racism and it's all his fault, but why would you think that? It's not as if systematic racism didn't exist before Obama… just because we're more aware of it (or at least it's in public consciousness due to protesting) doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

Well Obama obviously stokes racism. Anyone who logged onto facebook on Nov 5th of 2008 could have seen that easily enough. It's just that people who were able to keep their racism quiet about sharing their bathrooms, water fountains, and public pools couldn't keep biting their tongues when it came to sharing power.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Why are New Hampshire and Vermont so different in terms of Democratic reliability? I know nothing about the two states other than they are a similar size and shape, adjacent, and located in New England.

I'm not sure of the real historical reasons but there is a similar base of farmer/hunter types in both, but somehow NH skewed to the libertarian 'leave me alone' philosophy more than VT, where the cities had a bunch of hippies move in a few decades ago and had more progressive politics as a result in general (higher taxes, more of a social safety net.)

You can drive without a seatbelt in NH but I need to get my car inspected yearly in VT to keep it on the road. Just one example of many.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goddamn Obama working on his comedy routine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkgCkw6rq8&t=3457s

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

If anyone hasn't listened to that Obama speech posted earlier, do it. It is amazing. He roasts the poo poo out of Marco Rubio, the Republican Congress, and even goes after the media a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkgCkw6rq8&t=2576s

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

If she wins NC solidly that's probably pretty close to true?

If she doesn't win NC solidly they might wait until after we know about Nevada which is gonna be laaaaaaaate.

if nate cohn's estimate is true and she's looking at a ~+5 in nc it'll get called around 9:30-10 and that's game, but networks won't call the election itself until 11 eastern when west coast polls close

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DaveWoo posted:

CNN decided to respond to the "post the map" challenge, I guess:

All of those look incredibly unlikely, but whatevs

Feed me all of your red Michigan maps CNN, your incompetence nourishes me

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm gonna break down the facts as I understand them to rationalize my very mild panic and possibly help others. If I'm wrong in any of it, someone call me out on it and correct me. As I understand it, the following things are true:

-Early voting is STRONG, and generally favors the big D.
-Polls have tightened in battleground states, some to the point of a Trump lead, but they're mostly within the MoE, and polls are so easily skewed/manipulated that things like the aggregate trends, voter turnout, demographics, etc. are far more relevant. Those mostly favor the Dems.
-The Senate projections have changed less than the Presidential, which is a little odd. Using an example i hope happens, if Ross wins NC which is a toss-up but polls for her have been good recently, there's almost no way Hilldawg loses NC. If she wins NC, call it.
-We have heard for a long time now that the internal polling for Republicans is worse than the public polls, and there's not a whole lot of concrete evidence either way, but it's plausible considering stories that have come out about Republican leadership panicking which, granted, have mostly dried up, but that may just be them circling the wagons in public.
-In that vein, it's not LIKELY, but it's possible that Republicans who poll for Trump might ultimately vote for Hillary. Even a small percentage of those would be disastrous for Trump. Admittedly the opposite is also possible, but less likely, given party approval polls, etc.
-Nate's model has ALWAYS been most chaotic, and other aggregators still have Hillary as basically a lock.
-Trump has basically no margin of error.

Does that about sum it up?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Crain posted:

This is one of the cooler "Cubs win" things I've seen so far:

https://twitter.com/GraceJohnso/status/794042007501045760

My grandpa then died of horrid food poisoning. I've never seen a happier corpse.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Does he say "Come on, man"?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Missouri goons, Trump is leading the presidential race on 538, but Jason Kander is projected to win by a hairsbreadth, what would the thought process be of somebody voting for Trump and Kander on the same ballot?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Feed me all of your red Michigan maps CNN, your incompetence nourishes me

The Maine and Pennsylvania one is the best.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mind_Taker posted:

Why are New Hampshire and Vermont so different in terms of Democratic reliability? I know nothing about the two states other than they are a similar size and shape, adjacent, and located in New England.

A lot of ex-hippies moved to Vermont from New York in the 70s as part of the commune movement. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of Massholes living in Southern New Hampshire for tax purposes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mozi posted:

I'm not sure of the real historical reasons but there is a similar base of farmer/hunter types in both, but somehow NH skewed to the libertarian 'leave me alone' philosophy more than VT, where the cities had a bunch of hippies move in a few decades ago and had more progressive politics as a result in general (higher taxes, more of a social safety net.)

You can drive without a seatbelt in NH but I need to get my car inspected yearly in VT to keep it on the road. Just one example of many.

NH has yearly inspections too :ssh:

But I think another of the main differences is the number of faux-rich 95%+ white suburban towns that are in southern NH. Windham, Londonderry, Amherst, Hanover, South/Hooksett, etc. Vermont has a few of those too but not as many.

Also Ben and Jerry's :3:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

WampaLord posted:

If you're in line before 7 PM, you get to vote. Some lines are hours long.

In the Presidential Preference election, the polling station I was collecting signatures at stopped the line at 7 and the last person voted at around 11:30.
In one of the other polling stations, they ran out of parking spaces and traffic was backed up for miles from people who physically could not get in line before the deadline.

Maricopa County is probably going to get a new County Recorder as a result, which is sort of a plus.

The County Recorder insists that it won't happen again, but who knows.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

The Maine and Pennsylvania one is the best.

I'm partial to the Colorado-New Mexico one personally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if in some polls people who already voted just aren't responding anymore, or answer the question "Will you be voting in the Nov 8 election" with the technically correct "No"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mind_Taker posted:

southern new hampshire where 90% of the state lives is a white flight suburb of boston

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nashua New Hampshire is pretty liberal as its on the border of massachusetts. But the further north you get, the further into the crazy conservative weeds you get.

I went to hollis NH a couple months ago to sell a bunch of old junk at the flea market there, and in addition to plenty of dudes just selling all sorts of firearms, bladed weaponry and ammunition of all sorts openly (in such a way that someone could just follow them home and murder them/hijack their van full of ammo to supplement a militia for a good while, since it's just a fat old white dude driving their rusty old van and that's it), they also had a shitload of trump supporters wandering around, and there were a fair number of MAGA hats and old white folks discussing SHE TAKE ARR GUNS and kinda sorta racist nonsense near our stall! It was pretty uncomfortable.

Not everyone was that way of course, but the Trump supporters were way more visible than here in MA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Goddamn Obama working on his comedy routine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkgCkw6rq8&t=3457s

The part where he starts to lean on the podium while talking about Obamacare is god drat amazing.

• Locked thread