Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

infernal machines posted:

so i bought an xps 13 and got a well built laptop based on a modern platform

so you bought two laptops????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rimshot:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
why not whine about a toaster for not making you a pizza? and you don't even like toast anyway wtf this toaster "pro" is such bullshit I thought toaster pro was a toaster for PROFESSIONALS. gently caress you TOASTERBRAND

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

why not whine about a toaster for not making you a pizza? and you don't even like toast anyway wtf this toaster "pro" is such bullshit I thought toaster pro was a toaster for PROFESSIONALS. gently caress you TOASTERBRAND

have you never seen a toaster oven?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Maximum Leader posted:

it doesn't have the ports you want. pls move on

i use macs professionally. am i allowed to care or do i still have to

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tried out the MacBook Pro Giant Escape Key today and the screen is nice, as is the giant trackpad and the build is really good it feels almost seamless when it's closed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

I tried out the MacBook Pro Giant Escape Key today and the screen is nice, as is the giant trackpad and the build is really good it feels almost seamless when it's closed
more emportantly, how's emoji bar and speaker sound quality

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

qirex posted:

is the keyboard as trash as the normal macbook one

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://getcmra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/vid-cmra-short.webm

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
cuckbook pro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

more emportantly, how's emoji bar and speaker sound quality
I used the one with actual buttons, they don't have the emoji bar model except in a display case

I didn't test out the speakers because I was in the store and also who does critical listening on the speakers in their laptop anyway?

sethsez posted:

is the keyboard as trash as the normal macbook one
haven't spent much time with either but the macbook one didn't bug me much

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

I used the one with actual buttons, they don't have the emoji bar model except in a display case

I didn't test out the speakers because I was in the store and also who does critical listening on the speakers in their laptop anyway?
eh it's nothing critical about laptop sound, just wondering if there's anything odd given the speaker placement relative to the speaker grills

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

haven't spent much time with either but the macbook one didn't bug me much

lol they must not be able to get the touch strip working if they're hiding it from people like that.

wrt speakers the biggest thing for me is noise canceling in case I want to do like a skype or something and I don't have headphones handy. traditionally forward facing speakers help w/ that but if apple has better sound cancelling for top speakers that might be interesting. in the past they've been total garbo tho.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

why do people care so much about the lack of ports on a laptop they don't own and won't own

because it's about time to buy a new laptop

my current laptop is an apple, as was my last laptop, but i can't live with 16 gb anymore so lol nope

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Maximum Leader posted:

imagine if every other toaster company made complete dog poo poo toasters that are awful to use. literally no other company produces a decent toaster except this one. then one day they replace the timer dial with a touchscreen and make it so regular size bread doesn't fit anymore

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if you use the right cmd button with xcv or any other left hand key you dont need to bend your thumb at all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the occasional "is it a toaster?" segments on ATP

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because it's about time to buy a new laptop

my current laptop is an apple, as was my last laptop, but i can't live with 16 gb anymore so lol nope

> 8 GB of RAM is for servers

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

mishaq posted:

this. maybe in special cases you can argue >16 but...........

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple has reached the point that other laptop manufacturers did a while back with diminishing returns for hardware revision and spec upgrades and therefore have to resort to gimmicks to drum up interest

basically it's the same reason why american beer manufacturers introduce things like color changing labels or new bottle designs or other packaging changes: the product itself cannot meaningfully change anymore but the trappings of the product can

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

8 gigs for the server vm, 2 gigs for the web browser, 2 gigs for Xcode , double it to be safe

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Stymie posted:

basically it's the same reason why american beer manufacturers introduce things like color changing labels or new bottle designs or other packaging changes: the product itself cannot meaningfully change anymore but the trappings of the product can
sounds like someone hasn't poured himself a frosty brew from a vortex bottle.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

8 gigs for the server vm

Write less awful code

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

sounds like someone hasn't poured himself a frosty brew from a vortex bottle.

or a fresh can of AMERICA

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

exploding mummy posted:

or a fresh can of AMERICA

Crappy garbage based on a 200 year old recipe in a container labeled America is one if the best metaphor for the times we live in

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Stymie posted:

apple has reached the point that other laptop manufacturers did a while back with diminishing returns for hardware revision and spec upgrades and therefore have to resort to gimmicks to drum up interest

saying "the product we've been making for years is already great, you know it, we know it, so here's the one you love with modern parts inside" would've taken too much courage i guess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

"640 kB should be enough for anyone"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

flakeloaf posted:

saying "the product we've been making for years is already great, you know it, we know it, so here's the one you love with modern parts inside" would've taken too much courage i guess

agreed but also i can already write the tech journalism narrative had they done that:

" a solid update that doesn't do anything exciting. apple must add a touch screen and convertible hinge to remain relevant. verge score 8.5/10"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a feeling these are going to sell pretty well since for every "I must run 20 VMs simultaneously and stitch 4k vr video in realtime" knobs there's somewhere between 50 and 100 people who run sketch, photoshop, slack and a web browser and at this point apple's direction forward is clear so there's no point in waiting for a new macbook pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

at this point apple's direction forward is clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I have a feeling these are going to sell pretty well since for every "I must run 20 VMs simultaneously and stitch 4k vr video in realtime" knobs there's somewhere between 50 and 100 people who run sketch, photoshop, slack and a web browser and at this point apple's direction forward is clear so there's no point in waiting for a new macbook pro

web browsing and light application usage has always been apples target market. anyone who needed performance in the past always goes with someone other than apple and that's not gonna change.

the confusion here is that the pro in mac pro or mac book pro stands for prosumer aka consumer who uses photoshop sometimes. real professionals have never used macs and now that workloads are taking advantage of even better hardware in newer pcs, its becoming obvious to even the most die hard mac fan that they are using a sub par product and are being left even further behind.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's fine though, because it's not a if there's any professional software still being developed for mac

except maybe xcode, i guess, and that exists solely to create ios apps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most professionals make their livings using "nondemanding" applications. when I got started 20 years ago photoshop was so slow for print resolution the prepress house I worked for had a $12,000 multiprocessor mac that they ran on 3 shifts to get all the work done since everything took so long hell I used to run unsharp mask on screen resolution stuff then go get coffee and have a cigarette now that poo poo takes under a second

modern computers are fast enough for the vast majority of work, even professional work, and it's hilarious watching people who basically only care about e-peen and video james try to justify their demands as being "for professionals"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you're an actual professional your job buys you whatever expensive computer you need, if you're a home user with a titan x you're basically a hummer H2 driver

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

real apple content creators use real professional equipment like this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

flakeloaf posted:

real apple content creators use real professional equipment like this

"Made from a fully refurbished, upcycled typewriter from the 1930s."

gently caress this poo poo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
they look better than windows laptops and they cost more and looking like a big shot is just as important as being one

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i decided i didnt want the stupid touchbar anyhow so i just bought the new one with a normal keyboard

first impressions are good. really like the keyboard/touchpad/form factor/look and feel

2 usb ports will just barely be enough.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You're going to feel so stupid when the SA forum emote touch plugin for safari is released in a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's okay i feel stupid all the time anyhow

• Locked thread